As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A God Damn Separate Thread for Splitting California Into Six States

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Morat242 wrote: »
    The spaghetti mess of water rights and seniority are pretty much insoluble without torching the contracts and starting over,
    But water is the universal solvent!

I'll see myself out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    So, question. I'm not really connected in to how things happen in California, but have any of the major tech groups calling for change thrown money into fixing the water and power issues?
    Eh, it's not really the job of tech companies or individual philanthropists to fix the water infrastructure or the electrical grid.

Why would it not be? Having the money and the ability to solve the problems that you yourself are complaining about while also being able to turn a profit seems like a no-brainer.

Investing in infrastructure like that isn't going to hurt them and will ingratiate them with the people.

• Options
    Morat242Morat242 Registered User regular
    So, question. I'm not really connected in to how things happen in California, but have any of the major tech groups calling for change thrown money into fixing the water and power issues?
    Eh, it's not really the job of tech companies or individual philanthropists to fix the water infrastructure or the electrical grid.

Why would it not be? Having the money and the ability to solve the problems that you yourself are complaining about while also being able to turn a profit seems like a no-brainer.

Investing in infrastructure like that isn't going to hurt them and will ingratiate them with the people.
    It's not an infrastructure problem, really. It's an overuse problem. And again, it doesn't really affect the tech industry. What's happening is that pockets of farmland are not being delivered their customary heavily subsidized water because there isn't enough to go around. The occasional small farming town is getting caught up in it. But the cities? Especially the big cities? It'll get way too expensive to grow a lot of crops long before the population centers really start feeling the pinch, because agriculture uses 80% of the water to produce 2% of the GDP.

Ultimately, there's plenty of water for the population to grow enormously, and simultaneously maintain our position as by far the most productive farming state.

There just isn't enough water to continue our current wasteful practices. Like, each almond requires 1.1 gallons of H2O. Not each bag, each individual nut. And we grow all of the US production and ~80% of the world supply. We grow bales and bales of alfalfa that just gets shipped to China and Japan as cattle feed, because it's cheaper to truck it to Long Beach and send it over the Pacific than it is to truck it north to the Central Valley where the cows are. We have dozens and dozens of golf courses in the desert. We don't monitor groundwater use (which is fucking insane).

But Silicon Valley is not suffering. And they aren't going to be able to solve the problem (that they don't have to deal with).

• Options
    edited July 2014
    You can't take a purely GDP position on farming or agriculture. When you compare it to the costs of high-technology fields then yes the resource cost is higher, yes the GDP yield is lower, and no none of that matters because people can't eat software!

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I don't know - enough mega bytes of some kernels should satisfy your hunger daemon.
    I regret nothing,

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    You can't take a purely GDP position on farming or agriculture. When you compare it to the costs of high-technology fields then yes the resource cost is higher, yes the GDP yield is lower, and no none of that matters because people can't eat software!

Also try imagining a world where the US is utterly dependent on importing sufficient food from other countries in order to feed its population properly.

It is a situation you do not ever want to be in if you're a major power.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I'm sure we could grow enough food for ourselves somewhere that is not a desert.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    The majority of the state is not a desert, and in fact much of it was wetlands before the levee was put in place.

Socal is not California

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Thing is, even if the water savings is trivial. There's a huge fucking difference between using that water to grow agricultural goods in a desert and growing fucking grass for lawns and golf courses in a fucking desert. The former at least serves the purpose of providing useful resources to people, the latter is just fucking stupidity for the sake of shitty vanity. Also no matter how small those saving are, that is still water being saved. That also makes it less likely that rationing or scarcity results in a farm going under (sure that might require letting the grass die on every golf course in California) and reducing the total amount that has to be acquired by other means, when there isn't enough.

Edit: also as point out above. California seems to be getting the same misconception as Texas. Both states aren't made up geographically of nothing but deserts. In fact both are rather diverse when it comes to geography.

also pointed out below, the water issue isn't unique to California and its kind of important that simply moving where stuff is grown, is not an option (some plants are really fucking picky about their environment, plus it would be nice to not have to pit food production against keeping around a conservation location either).

Mill on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I'm sure we could grow enough food for ourselves somewhere that is not a desert.

We turned a lot of middle america into desert for a while trying to farm out as much land as possible. Not that that has to be the alternative, but global warming is being felt by agriculture centers across the US. Reservoirs and lakes running out are more than a California problem. There's also the problem with climate sensitive plants that can't just be uprooted and grown wherever.

If we don't get on an actual terraforming solution it's not going to be good, and it wont matter where we relocate farms to.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

It's also not their job to render the state asunder.

But if one of them chooses to stick his dick in politics, is it too much to ask that he work on something useful?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    The majority of the state is not a desert, and in fact much of it was wetlands before the levee was put in place.

Socal is not California

The most productive agricultural communities in California (and, for that matter, the US) are in the San Joaquin and Central Valleys. The biomes around Stockton, Modesto, Fresno, Visalia are naturally chaparral - arid semi-deserts that naturally get less than 12" of rainfall per year.

If it weren't for manmade irrigation, most of this region would not be capable of growing crops, and what would be left couldn't grow the quantity and variety that we do now.

Or, to put it visually:

ca.gif

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Question from an ignorant European. Is Governance in California (and US States generally) State and County level only? Is there no regional level? Because US States can be pretty big and diverse. It seems like that would be a gap in effective governance.

Honestly I don't quite understand why everyone considers this idea to be so crazy.

wilting on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    E: nevermind, wrong.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Would smaller states not be a good idea then, in this context?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Theoretically. But that's like saying 'Wouldn't it be better to decentralise federal authority in favour of "states rights"?' Something that was tried and failed before the Constitution was ratified.

Plus, breaking states in to smaller (or even larger) groups would require a constant redrawing to maintain a more-or-less even balance regarding population distribution. Which, even if only done for ever census result, would still cause quite a few years of chaos as people resettle amongst themselves. And if you don't redraw the lines, then eventually you end up again where we are now or you still get a bunch of uber-powerful city-states that have disproportionate power at the federal level.

It may be imperfect, especially compared to other countries, but in reality, the biggest problem is not that some states have larger populations and greater influence. It's that a whole branch of government is unwilling or unable to get anything done at all. It used to work and now it doesn't. But it wasn't how it was organised that caused that to happen.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The thing to remember is that the US is not a single government divided into states for convenience of administration. It is a collection of mostly independent states which have formed a union. And Smasher is not quite correct, states have the authority over anything not reserved for the federal government, or specifically denied them by the constitution. The state is the basic building block of the US government, and there are vast differences in how each one operates, and they negotiate with each other as equals, not just as divisions of a larger unit. I'm from Georgia, and there are ongoing fights with neighboring states about how to use river water, I can't imagine the headaches cali would have if they split up.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well gridlock doesn't have anything to do with the size of states per se, but it does have everything to do with structural/institutional factors, particularly the election system.

I'm guess what I'm ultimately asking do administrative/bureaucratic structures acknowledge differences within States. Do States divide themselves up into different regions for implementing policies? Does Federal policymaking distinguish between different areas within States? Or does it hand over resources to the State, which hands over resources to its Counties/Cities?

For example, a lot of what the EU does in terms of structural funds etc is distributed upon a regional basis, not to Member States, and these "regions" aren't traditional regions (not all Member States have administrative districts/provinces/regions/states, but most do) but rather based on economic/social data specifically for governance purposes. So less well off areas in ostensibly wealthy Member States get a fair shake.

wilting on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    Well gridlock doesn't have anything to do with the size of states per se, but it does have everything to do with structural/institutional factors, particularly the election system.

I'm guess what I'm ultimately asking do administrative/bureaucratic structures acknowledge differences within States. Do States divide themselves up into different regions for implementing policies? Does Federal policymaking distinguish between different areas within States? Or does it hand over resources to the State, which hands over resources to its Counties/Cities?

For example, a lot of what the EU does in terms of structural funds etc is distributed upon a regional basis, not to Member States, and these "regions" aren't traditional regions (not all Member States have administrative districts/provinces/regions/states, but most do) but rather based on economic/social data specifically for governance purposes. So less well off areas in ostensibly wealthy Member States get a fair shake.

It varies pretty widely from thing to thing. Some things are just money handed to the states (healthcare), others are directly administered by the government at the local level (postal service).

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

I think the closest thing to this concept in my experience is the "county". The county is the level of division that sits between a state and a city.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The picture I am getting is

EU
    Intergovernmental/Supranational
    National
    Traditional Region/District/State (in most, but not all Member States) AND EU Administrative Regions
    Local

US
    Federal
    State
    Nothing?
    County

It seems like large States and the Federal government should be doing something like this.

Maybe some of the larger counties, particularly to the west, could be thought of regional equivalents, but the average county size seems fairly equivalent in scale to European "counties" of which you will find multiple in a region.

Just fascinating that a level of Government that is considered of core and growing importance in Europe just doesn't exist in the US.

wilting on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

EU
    National
    Traditional Region/District/State (in most, but not all Member States) AND EU Administrative Regions
    Local

US
    Federal
    State
    Nothing?
    County

It seems like large States and the Federal government should be doing something like this.

Maybe some of the larger counties, particularly to the west, could be thought of regional equivalents, but the average county size seems fairly equivalent in scale to European "counties" of which you will find multiple in a region.

Just fascinating that a level of Government that is considered of core and growing importance in Europe just doesn't exist in the US.

There wouldn't be any reason for them.

• Options

EU
    National
    Local

US
    Federal
    State
    Nothing?
    County

We have regional bureaucracies that are similar in size and division to EU NUTS-2, but only for specific purposes. For example, water is allocated between the various counties of the Central Valley by a regional water board. Another example, many metropolitan areas have a public transit joint powers board that covers multiple cities and counties.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Smasher wrote: »
    Question from an ignorant European. Is Governance in California (and US States generally) State and County level only? Is there no regional level? Because US States can be pretty big and diverse. It seems like that would be a gap in effective governance.

Honestly I don't quite understand why everyone considers this idea to be so crazy.
    County and City governance derive from State* authority. States* have the authority to do anything explicitly granted to them by the Constitution. Anything that is neither explicitly granted by nor denied to either State* or Federal government by the Constitution is up for debate by the Supreme Court and/or Congress and/or the Presidency.

* In the context of US politics, State(s) refers to the 50 US States (equivalent to Provinces in some other countries). There are no levels of governance between State and Federal governance, which to answer your question means there are no "regional" levels of governance.

This may just be differing theories of government but I always remember being told that states have any power NOT explicitly withheld for the Federal government. It's why incorporation of amendments is a big deal because it isn't automatic that states have to abide by them. Which fits in the traditional view of states as independent actors that form this union mostly for self protection.

Granted, the reasons for states having so much power grows smaller every day since the logistical issues that would have required such an arrangement keep becoming less important.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    You're comparing a massive collection of countries gathered together in an attempt to standardise a whole mess of things...to a single country that, however imperfectly, already does that. You're just presuming that an extra layer of government needs to be added.

Anyway, what this thread is about is how a bunch of selfish, ignorant people think that splitting a state into smaller bits just for tax purposes, would make things work better. Whether in California or the nation, adding a layer of government, especially when it isn't needed, will simply make the current problems bigger.

And the last thing the US needs is organised regional power blocs. It tends not to end well.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    We should split Texas into like

ten states

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Well, the difference is obviously because of historical and scale reasons. But from a good governance/administration standpoint they have every reason to exist. Unless US States are homogeneous.

wilting on
  • Options
    Well, the difference is obviously because of historical and scale reasons. But from a good governance/administration standpoint they have every reason to exist. Unless US States are homogeneous.

The US States are essentially your regional equivalents

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I can see the benefit of districts larger than the county level but smaller than the state level.

I think a cleaner way to do it would be larger counties. County boundaries that made sense when most people traveled on horseback or by foot don't really make sense in an era of hypercommutes, businesses that routinely serve three counties, and water that is pumped for hundreds of miles.

Feral on

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I can see the benefit of districts larger than the county level but smaller than the state level.

I think a cleaner way to do it would be larger counties. County boundaries that made sense when most people traveled on horseback or by foot don't really make sense in an era of hypercommutes, businesses that routinely serve three counties, and water that is pumped for hundreds of miles.

I was going to argue with this idea but then I realized we probably have very different experiences so I looked at a California County map.

Woa.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I will also point out that whether or not it might have been better, at the outset, to divide the California territory into more, smaller states has no bearing on whether it's a good idea now. In much the same way that you don't say, "Huh, we should have subdivided this land into more, smaller properties before we sold them off to individual landowners," and then proceed to chop everybody's house in two.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, taking regional differences into consideration is a good idea that would make a lot of sense, level of government or not.

So most states make a half-hearted attempt so they can say they tried, but don't really want to make the effort.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

EU
    National
    Local

US
    Federal
    State
    County
    Municipal

That last part is the US equivalent of Local. Small town councils and the like. Its just that the US is so large and the various states are so different that Municipal and County tend to overlap and blend a lot more then in the EU. Los Angeles is a city, but its so large that its also a county and several of its suburbs are so large that they are counties in their own right. Then there are places like Compton, that used to be a distinct town from LA back in the day, but LA has since grown to reach Compton entirely. Compton is still a municipality in LA county, separate legally from the City of LA, but geographically a part of the City of LA proper.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    That last part is the US equivalent of Local. Small town councils and the like. Its just that the US is so large and the various states are so different that Municipal and County tend to overlap and blend a lot more then in the EU. Los Angeles is a city, but its so large that its also a county and several of its suburbs are so large that they are counties in their own right. Then there are places like Compton, that used to be a distinct town from LA back in the day, but LA has since grown to reach Compton entirely. Compton is still a municipality in LA county, separate legally from the City of LA, but geographically a part of the City of LA proper.

Which made trying to understand some rappers quite difficult for me as a kid. I figured Compton was just a neighbourhood but then people refer to it as a city but then say they're also from LA. And it gets more and more confusing with people freely mixing neighbourhoods with cities so I just gave up on trying to understand it.

But LA is stupid huge. LA County is a quarter of the size of my entire country. And it has more than half of the population.

• Options
    Morat242Morat242 Registered User regular
    Nobody is going to starve to death if we grow less alfalfa. Nobody is going to starve to death if we rip up some almond trees. Nobody will go naked if we grow a bit less cotton. Strawberries require 4x the water as apples per acre, switching some fields from one to the other (as many of those acres were recently switched in the other direction) won't be the end of the world.

If every city in CA got down to the per capita use of Spain, for example, we'd save a significant amount of water. But we'd still be in a drought. We'd still be pulling up almond trees and letting alfalfa fields dry out, just not quite as much. At the end of this, we'll be eating more pork and chicken and less beef, because they require a small fraction of the water that beef does to get the same amount of meat. Or we'll eat less meat overall, since of course vegetables are dramatically more water efficient than even chicken. People won't die.

There physically isn't enough water being wasted by the cities to keep the farmers growing the thirstiest crops they can find on some of the driest land in the country. If they hadn't been getting massively subsidized (or free!) water for the last century, they would've had to be efficient and careful in their water use.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Nobody is going to starve to death if we grow less alfalfa. Nobody is going to starve to death if we rip up some almond trees. Nobody will go naked if we grow a bit less cotton. Strawberries require 4x the water as apples per acre, switching some fields from one to the other (as many of those acres were recently switched in the other direction) won't be the end of the world.

If every city in CA got down to the per capita use of Spain, for example, we'd save a significant amount of water. But we'd still be in a drought. We'd still be pulling up almond trees and letting alfalfa fields dry out, just not quite as much. At the end of this, we'll be eating more pork and chicken and less beef, because they require a small fraction of the water that beef does to get the same amount of meat. Or we'll eat less meat overall, since of course vegetables are dramatically more water efficient than even chicken. People won't die.

There physically isn't enough water being wasted by the cities to keep the farmers growing the thirstiest crops they can find on some of the driest land in the country. If they hadn't been getting massively subsidized (or free!) water for the last century, they would've had to be efficient and careful in their water use.

But if there wasn't a drought going on there would be plenty of water. 4 years ago water use was higher, and the reservoirs were full.

Its a lot easier (and smart anyway) for someone in San Francisco to stop washing their car and flushing the toilet when they urinate than it is for a farmer to switch from strawberries to apples. Everyone needs to cut back, not just farms who are at least doing something useful with the water.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    US
    Federal (President)
    State-Federal (Senate & House)
    State (Governor)
    County/District
    City (Mayor)

• Options

California does not exist in a vacuum. The workers and farmers will be severely put out by being forced to grow less, the economic impact of being forced to leave the fields fallow is something that will have far reaching consequences. It still wouldn't solve the problem either. The fact is that the natural sources of water are scarce, and unless we can come up with larger scale man-made sources then the entire SouthWest will continue to have water shortages and a steadily decreasing fresh water supply in general. This is something that we have to deal with, and cutting off the farmers isn't going to improve the ecological situation.

You're suggesting cutting off the largest users in order to preserve resources for the largest number of people, instead of actually fixing the problem. It's last-ditch, survivalist theory instead of the kind of innovative thinking that has been the hallmark of mankind's rise and spread as the pre-eminent species on the planet.

• Options

California does not exist in a vacuum. The workers and farmers will be severely put out by being forced to grow less, the economic impact of being forced to leave the fields fallow is something that will have far reaching consequences. It still wouldn't solve the problem either. The fact is that the natural sources of water are scarce, and unless we can come up with larger scale man-made sources then the entire SouthWest will continue to have water shortages and a steadily decreasing fresh water supply in general. This is something that we have to deal with, and cutting off the farmers isn't going to improve the ecological situation.

You're suggesting cutting off the largest users in order to preserve resources for the largest number of people, instead of actually fixing the problem. It's last-ditch, survivalist theory instead of the kind of innovative thinking that has been the hallmark of mankind's rise and spread as the pre-eminent species on the planet.

Hence the state of Galt's Gulch Silicon Valley.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Conversely, asking the cities to cut back, while generally a good idea, isn't gonna actually solve anything.

That region is either gonna have to either change it's lifestyle or change it's environment more.