As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trading at Pax - How to display?

FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade CoordinatorOrrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
How do people display their trades and spares when at PAX?

I see some people use the scarf or their lanyard, but I
a) have too many spares to trade that I think I would drag my neck down, and
b) am paranoid of scratching/breaking/having them fall off / getting caught as I wander around.

I considered using a folder with my trades , but then how do people know I am trading - maybe a Pinny Arcade trader patch or badge?

Thoughts?

• Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    A Pinny Arcade branded trading tote would be a great suggestion for @PedroAsani‌ to pass along via the Q&A. Disney has them, and it makes it obvious they are open to trading.

Frostbyte on
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I thought a bag like that was in the works already

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Frostbyte wrote: »
    A Pinny Arcade branded trading tote would be a great suggestion for @PedroAsani‌ to pass along via the Q&A. Disney has them, and it makes it obvious they are open to trading.
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    I thought a bag like that was in the works already

Indeed. Possibly we will see them soon, I will ask for an update on that. In the meantime, the easiest way to display you are open to trading is with the Pinny Arcade lanyards. I usually wear several, both the Core and Twisp & Catsby so that they are very visible. I also make sure to talk to anyone wearing Pins, or trading lanyards. At the very least I get to meet more Pin people, and usually I can help somebody out.

As always, I will try and keep the Pinnypal twitter updated frequently and attempt to organise various meet-ups. Thursday will likely be the games night after the Pre-PAX dinner, with others depending on the schedule. Frostbyte, 00Fayt00 and NowHiringHenchmen will be around to help out as well, and I am sure others will add their names to that list.

• Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    I just use the lanyard for my more "common" pins and keep LE's in my backpack. If someone is uninterested in what's on my lanyard I mention I have more on me and ask what they are looking for.

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    This got me thinking actually...ive probably mentioned before im on a wheelchair, naturally im seated lower than the average persons standing height, so i am wondering if a lanyard would be at all visible to people if i wore one, bit nervous to hang them off the back as i cant keep my eyes on them. Anyone got any ideas? ill probably just get my brother to wear them and then you guys can divert your questions to me :p

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    silrnsilrn Fairfax, VARegistered User regular
    Well, I can't speak for everyone. But when I see people I immediately look to their necks for lanyards. I traded with a few people in wheelchairs at PAX East, trust me, the people who are trading look at EVERYONE's necks regardless of being below "normal" eye-lines.

Which leads me to my strategy, I'm like pureval. I use my lanyard to advertise that I'm trading and I display my favorite pins along with some commons that I'll trade off, but I keep my good loot for trade in a bag.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    silrn wrote: »
    the people who are trading look at EVERYONE's necks

Everyone remember to wash your necks.

yyx0si5.jpg

• Options
    DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I run into this same problem, just in a VERY first world issue. I do and will be taking double lanyards for trade stuff (one will just be common stuff for staff trades, the other for actual trading), but I, as well as others undoubtedly, have a LOT of pins for trade, all still on their cardboard (I even toss the non-plastic bagged ones into a trading card sleeve to protect it), and transporting all of that can be tough. The problem becomes bigger when at Pax and I am tossing all the new pins and whatever swag I end up getting in there as well. Id love more options to carry all of my trade material.

Edit: I are good at Grammar

Diffusion on
    Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I have a Disney bag that has a shoulder strap. You don't look for me to trade. I look for you.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    You just try to not trade with redfield!

• Options
    RhykerRhyker South CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite I saw at East was a sort of top hat with a bunch of pins on it. I though this was genius because it grabbed the eye and from a distance because it was above most people's heads.

• Options
    See, I hate people wearing all their pins. I mean, I don't hate THEM, just that I would never do that in a million years because I don't want to lose any of them.

I saw a guy with a scarf covered in pins. First thing I think is the scarf is ruined. Second is how much time it took to put all those pins on. Third is how will he know when a pin falls off? It terrifies me.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    At east I used a couple lanyards, and for added peace of mind I bound my pins to the lanyards with rubber bands. I feel like this was more secure, it made me feel better at least. I used the colorful little rubber bands they sell for making bracelets.

• Options
    That just sounds like more work and stuff that shouldn't be necessary. I seriously recommend the Disney bags (or something similar). Your pins are protected, won't drop to the ground if they get unhooked somehow, and are displayed nicely.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    If there was a Pinny Arcade bag, something clearly designated for Pinny Arcade trading, I would probably go that route. But I have a lot of trouble approaching people to ask for trades (I usually just end up tongue tied and run away), so having a visible lanyard is crucial. Almost all of my interaction with other people came from them asking me about my pins, rather than the other way around.

Having locking pin backs was really amazing for peace of mind. It was a bit of a hassle keeping the rubber backs in my pocket, as a lot of people wanted them and I didn't want to give away my locks willy nilly. But it was worth it for the combination of obvious display and pin security.

I didn't have a lot of spares at East, but in those moments where I did, I tried to advertise rarer pins. I definitely got more bites when I had one of my five 10th Anniversary pins or a 2013 East Kemper displayed than when all I had left was Lookouts/Core Set.

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • Options
    gacbmmmlgacbmmml Registered User regular
    Where can I buy locking backs? The rubber backs aren't cutting it...

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    gacbmmml wrote: »
    I went with locking backs. I was losing the backs of pins at last years prime.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I got mine from eBay, I think it was this seller, but anything similar would work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321324110421?lpid=82

Cowpuppy on
    Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • Options
    darkinfero wrote: »

*COUGH*bagisthewaytogo*COUGH*

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    darkinfero wrote: »

*COUGH*bagisthewaytogo*COUGH*

http://shop.camelbak.com/minimule/d/1064_c_100_cl_543 Cough hold pins and water.
    It was a life saver at east.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    Bag is the definite way to go, and you can have fun with your bag like I did (make sure to have locking backs though).
    f9cgrap6qgon.jpg

Problem now comes with the trading, as 90% of the trading pins are in the bag and not seen. Whenever I was asked for a trade, I always asked what they needed so I could then get it out of said bag.

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I would still be worried about losing them, and damage. But I loves my Pinses, my preciouses.

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Hmmm this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lapel-Pin-Trading-Collector-Bag-Sports-Olympics-Disney-/131178820767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8addf49f&_uhb=1

With maybe a pinny arcade logo embroidered/stuck on the outside could work...

I assume this is like the disney bags that Red keeps ranting about? :wink:

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    The pin collector native to PAX will display their plumage on anything from a lanyard, to a bag, I even saw a young female of the species who had fashioned a denim vest into a device for displaying her pins and for trading.

Proceed with caution young collector! Not all members of the species who display such plumage are willing to trade, they simply like to show their collection as a matter of pride! The pin collector is a fickle breed. If you have pins you're willing to trade, having them visible in some way is the way to go. It seems most trading happens after the pin lanyard stare down to see if they have what you want.

• Options
    DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular

It's a shame that *all* it holds is pins, a separate pocket for wallet/drink bottle/other random junk would be nice so you don't need 2 bags.

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    Qumaden wrote: »
    It seems most trading happens after the pin lanyard stare down to see if they have what you want.

"Hey! My trades are up here, pal".

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    It seems most trading happens after the pin lanyard stare down to see if they have what you want.

This is sadly quite accurate for me. Even sadder is that I'm a 32 year old male.

• Options

This is sadly quite accurate for me. Even sadder is that I'm a 32 year old male.

Well played.

• Options
    odinson83odinson83 CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I think I am going foam core "pages" and display all my pins in a binder. This way people wont be asking me all the time for them, vendors included, with trades on lanyards. Last prime I had an Aus pin and the back was not very secure, and it came off. Lucky for me it was in my backpack when it went missing. But let me tell you until I found it I was losing my mind thinking "Where did I lose it????"

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I display on my lanyard because I'm not crazy. I do need better locking backs however, so any recommendations there would be great.

• Options
    digitalghost445digitalghost445 North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Rhyker wrote: »
    I think my favorite I saw at East was a sort of top hat with a bunch of pins on it. I though this was genius because it grabbed the eye and from a distance because it was above most people's heads.

That guy was awesome! I was outside the Magic 2015 booth waiting for a friend and I picked up this for an early AqInc. D&D pin I got from an Enforcer: http://goo.gl/eRMU6G

• Options
    Hmmm this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lapel-Pin-Trading-Collector-Bag-Sports-Olympics-Disney-/131178820767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8addf49f&_uhb=1

With maybe a pinny arcade logo embroidered/stuck on the outside could work...

I assume this is like the disney bags that Red keeps ranting about? :wink:

It is very similar. Mine doesn't have the binder-like holding area (mine is velcro). The only other storage in my bag is a small mesh pouch on the bottom (inside). I believe my bag is smaller overall as well (which I definitely prefer if I have to carry it and whip out pins).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I could just put shoulder straps on my Pin Shoebox and have it be dual-purpose...

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Did anyone else see that Thinkgeek just released a Con survival edition of the Bag of Holdng? They have a spot on the strap for pins that is double stapped so te rubber bit stays on, but I'm wondering if one could't put the right on the front of the bag, instead. Here is the link, for science. thinkgeek.com/product/1a1d/

Rhyker on
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I saw that bag the other day and wondered if I should consider it for South. Real issue is I don't know if I'd miss the extra space of the regular Bag of Holding.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    Thanks a lot @Rhyker‌, now they're going to take more of my money for more things that I don't need...but oh so desperately want.

• Options
    @orthancstone‌ I have the original BOH myself and at East I found that it was too much bag for me. I think the smaller size is a good move for Con survival. @Qumaden‌ I hear ya...if I had a dollar for every one I'd spent at their website....I would use all of those dollars on their site again.

• Options
    Did anyone else see that Thinkgeek just released a Con survival edition of the Bag of Holdng? They have a spot on the strap for pins that is double stapped so te rubber bit stays on, but I'm wondering if one could't put the right on the front of the bag, instead. Here is the link, for science. thinkgeek.com/product/1a1d/

I got excited when I saw it this morning because I thought the front might be good for pins, but it wouldn't be (not if you had your tablet in there anyway.

I was thinking today anyone with long hair could put a few select pins on a braid. So now I gotta start growing mine out.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    @orthancstone‌ I have the original BOH myself and at East I found that it was too much bag for me. I think the smaller size is a good move for Con survival. @Qumaden‌ I hear ya...if I had a dollar for every one I'd spent at their website....I would use all of those dollars on their site again.

Intriguing. This will considered in my decision making.

You sure you aren't getting paid by them? :p;)

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options

Intriguing. This will considered in my decision making.

You sure you aren't getting paid by them? :p;)

It is a nice bag, but I am still not putting my pins out in the open where they can possibly fall to the ground.

bYf6vNQ.png