As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trading at Pax - How to display?

2»

• Options
    gacbmmmlgacbmmml Registered User regular
    A bag to put the pins onto using locking backs!! What a great idea -- I already have the perfect bag, courtesy of Indy Magnoli (http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/british-mark-vii-satchel-bags-holsters-p-66.html) -- best $36 I ever spent, seriously.

• Options
    I should also state that the Magnoli bag has 5 compartments inside and since the front flap "flips" open, you could easily display your rare pins on the outside and your trading pins on the inside. The inside compartments are large enough to hold an iPad Mini, a water bottle, a Kindle Paperwhite, a large USB battery, your phone, and a bag full of locking pin backs to sell to people at PAX!

Now I'm just really excited. Haha.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    gacbmmml wrote: »
    and a bag full of locking pin backs to sell to people at PAX!
    Selling things at PAX if you are not an exhibitor is not permitted, fyi.

• Options
    ...and a bag full of locking pin backs to gift to people at PAX!

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular

I was giving locking backs away to everyone I traded with that wanted to wear the Pins. I am always worried about Lost Pins.

• Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »

I was giving locking backs away to everyone I traded with that wanted to wear the Pins. I am always worried about Lost Pins.

I gave locking backs to a guy in line at East who was sporting his DLC on his lanyard... WITHOUT a locking back. The thought of losing that, even though it wasn't mine, was too much lol.

• Options
    I actually backed the DLC Kickstarter, but I didn't read the reward levels closely enough... I opted for the really neat USB drive w/ loads of content. If I had kept reading, I definitely would have gone for the $150 tier. Oh well!

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I got this bag at thinkgeek years ago (they no long seem to sell it) that I guess I'll be using if no other options present themselves between now and PAX AUS (3 months to go people!)

It's got room for a water bottle and space for other sundries (pins), and I can display pins on the front flap and strap.

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Anyone got a recommendation of what type of pin backs/locks we should use for our trades since the rubber ones arent the best?
    Ebay links appreciated (even better if they are aus based :P)

(Obviously ill keep the rubber ones to hand over with my trades)

• Options
    VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    There are two kinds of backs, each with their own pros and cons.

There are the locking backs:
    13156258855671020703297.jpeg

And the clasping backs:
    mi-obNxvzdQztNfmHBEwAGg.jpg

There's also the screw on backs, but the less said about those the better:
    6261956.jpg

The first kind holds the tightest, but they're harder to take on and off than the second. So, which you should get depends on how much you'll be taking the pins on and off. The second kind still holds plenty tight, but they're super easy to take on and off for trading, so they're the kind I like.

The screw on type are a bitch to put on and off, and you can very easily damage the posts on the pin if you're not careful. No one should use them, especially not if you actually intend to trade.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
  • Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    So theres bags of bulk Option 2 on ebay for like $12...i assume the quality doesn't matter?

• Options
    I swear by the silver locking pin backs. I use them for all my lanyards, and they are awesome.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    So theres bags of bulk Option 2 on ebay for like $12...i assume the quality doesn't matter?

I bought some for like $3 at a craft store and they suck so friggin bad.

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    Frostbyte wrote: »
    I swear by the silver locking pin backs. I use them for all my lanyards, and they are awesome.

The 1st kind I haven't lost a pin. I haven't lost a LE at all.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    I only use the first kind as well. Only one lost pin due to the lock being too good when it got snagged and the pin snapped from the needle. I see that as an acceptable loss and a win for the back.

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • Options
    Re- Opt 1 How difficult are they to get off when doing a trade in a crowded convention hall?

• Options
    Re- Opt 1 How difficult are they to get off when doing a trade in a crowded convention hall?
    Very fast once you get used to it. I did it at east with no issues. It was faster then getting the old backings off.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    darkinfero wrote: »
    Very fast once you get used to it. I did it at east with no issues. It was faster then getting the old backings off.

Agreed. Once you know how they work, you can unlock them quickly and easily.

- Hold the base down with your thumbnail
    - Pull the top up

Very simple :)

• Options
    Yarp!

• Options
    Is there any difference between the chrome and gold ones? Does one grip better? or is it just for looks?

• Options
    I've never bought the gold, because I prefer the look of the silver/chrome. But I assume it's just looks.

• Options
    RhykerRhyker South CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I found some that are gunmetal black I like from amazon. Not sure if that helps an Aussie though.

• Options
    Rhyker wrote: »
    I found some that are gunmetal black I like from amazon. Not sure if that helps an Aussie though.

Got a link? Can get them delivered to the US, my Dads wife is coming over in a couple of weeks

• Options
    I also got the sliver one from ebay.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    Earring backs also work, especially if you're using them on a bag or a scarf. And man are they cheap.

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Rhyker wrote: »
    Did anyone else see that Thinkgeek just released a Con survival edition of the Bag of Holdng? They have a spot on the strap for pins that is double stapped so te rubber bit stays on, but I'm wondering if one could't put the right on the front of the bag, instead. Here is the link, for science. thinkgeek.com/product/1a1d/

Actually, I was thinking about purchasing the bag and cutting a piece of foam/cork to fit the Ipad display. Then, when someone wanted to trade, I can whip out the display and let them shop around. That plus the locking backs will keep them from rubbing/falling.

And of course, I will keep a couple on my lanyard that I am looking to seriously trade :)

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Brian had some upcoming PA Merch products he was showing off to people. As a pinthusiast I took the time to play with them a bit. The first were different colored rubber backs. I thought it seemed pretty gimmicky, but actually playing with them on the pins they fit much more snugly. I could see if you didn't have a backpack or bag and just a few pins on your lanyard that these rubber backs would be enough to keep your pins safe in the expo hall. Most of us however have a bag or something extra or, like some people I saw, wear multiple lanyards overloaded with pins. The other product he was showing off were official PA locking pin backs. I didn't see any logo stamp or anything of that nature to differentiate from the locking backs I use now (I don't know what they're called, I just call them pushy pulls). They looked very similar to ones I've bought in the past but seem to have a more distinct "lock". With the current ones I use I always have to tug on it to make sure it's set, the ones he had seems to have a tactile sensation that it was indeed locked.