As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NoVa/DC area hangout November 15th, Inquire within

EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
Updating this post with the current (as of my edit) info:

Sadly I cannot attend, but the current tentative schedule some will be following/jumping in on:

This meeting will likely take place at the Rocket Bar. Some others may or may not be doing things earlier (Spy museum, etc).

Subject to change as per availability and whatnot.

EclecticGroove on

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    We've had some successes, and I'd totally be game, but sometimes it just doesn't work out for this area. No idea why.

• Options
    That's what I found when I tried it before. I had a few show up, seemed like everyone had fun... but when I inquired about setting up more later the response was just kind of "meh".

But, hopefully a few more will chime in with some interest.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I almost made a VA hangout thread today to garner interest, but I am in SWVA. I know theres a ton of us in VA, but VA is relatively a big state with many hours in between each other. I'd be willing to travel up to nova/DC(4-5 hours) if its a bunch of people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I would totally be willing to show up for a VA hangout, if I can fit it into my schedule and the drive isn't too bad. I'm over in the Fredericksburg area, which seems a bit confused about which part of VA it is, some say it's part of Central VA and others say it's part of the NoVA exurbs.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I met up with @Fencingsax and @Modern man once. We did alright.

We should probably actually plan an activity other than drink. Our area drinks professionally as is.

Also: Anything beyond Tysons is in Afghanistan as far as I'm concerned, @Mill.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    I would totally come up if it's quite a few people. Only if it's quite a few people, as I'm in Richmond and that's a long ass drive (especially if taking I-95). Might as well be in the dirty south compared to NoVA.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I'd be down. I'm in Alexandria, so I'm in a prime spot to go anywhere.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    I believe that I talked to Darkewolfe about doing something several years ago, but for whatever reason that never came to fruition.

I live downtown and am relegated to metro / biking distance. Doing anything outside of the city during the week is pretty improbable.

I also primarily lurk these days (thanks, work!), so.. ┐(´-`)┌

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm just south of DC, so I'm in.

• Options
    Last time I did a meetup we hit a local comic show that was going on at the time, then went off to the Dave n Busters in MD for games/pool/drinks and then the Cheesecake Factory after for some deliciously unhealthy food.

I don't know if there's anything else going on at a time that would work for people, aside from a general hang out type activity.

I'd offer up my abode for such a thing, but I can only accommodate ~ 10 people comfortably before it gets kind of clown car up in here.

Completely up for suggestions however! (Only about 7 people in this thread not including myself, so not sure what would qualify as a lot of people for the guys further south)

• Options
    So I can do weekends since there is going to be travel involved for sure. I have a buddy on the forums who would come but he works weekends now. I might be able to round up another who lurks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Man I love this area, and I'm always down for fun food/drinks/games.

• Options
    Roz wrote: »
    Man I love this area, and I'm always down for fun food/drinks/games.

I don't mind the area, but I didn't grow up around here, so have no history or old friends. My job, not the most conducive to meeting people. So it's been a pain. Tried meetup, but all the people I've met there so far are more about the meetup than the people. Sometimes I just want to have a couple people to head over or go hang with, not a big scheduled thing ya know?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    @Quid and @Duke 2.0 are both in the area. I had hit up the one from the PAX forum a while back and kept meaning to go again, but I am lame. I live north of DC and wouldn't mind a meet up.
    I know of one other, but I'd have to check my PM box to see who it was.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm in Germantown and would be down for a DC meetup

BUT SINCE YOU ONLY SAID NOVA/DC YOU ALL CAN GO TO HELL

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Nah I'm just kidding, I love everybody

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    haha. Well, anywhere reasonably close really!

• Options
    No. Maryland is forbidden.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

hey!

• Options

:'(

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Alright, since no one will actually fucking do it, here's what I propose:

September 6 we meet up somewhere in the evening. I'm trying to think of a space in DC, Arlington or Rockville which can accommodate groups that want to talk, while also providing an activity. I'm drawing a blank.

For now I'll propose that we meet up at "The Landing" in the Crystal City shops to play some board games, then maybe cruise up to a sports bar after for socialization. This is probably not a great idea, but I'm looking for better ones.

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Herndon, here. I'd be down for games and drinks on Sep 6

• Options
    Alright, since no one will actually fucking do it, here's what I propose:

September 6 we meet up somewhere in the evening. I'm trying to think of a space in DC, Arlington or Rockville which can accommodate groups that want to talk, while also providing an activity. I'm drawing a blank.

For now I'll propose that we meet up at "The Landing" in the Crystal City shops to play some board games, then maybe cruise up to a sports bar after for socialization. This is probably not a great idea, but I'm looking for better ones.

well, Sept 6th is now on my outlook as 'Penny Arcade', so it's happening even if I have to go somewhere by myself and hold up a sign that says 'D&D'

• Options
    What kind of activity? There are a ton of terrible, middling, and decent bars in Arlington and DC with various levels of indoor / outdoor activities. Think bocce, cornhole, etc.

There's also the Board Room in DuPont, and Labyrinth in Capitol Hill for tabletop / board games.

• Options
    I'll be in Denmark Sept. 6 8-)

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    adytum wrote: »
    What kind of activity? There are a ton of terrible, middling, and decent bars in Arlington and DC with various levels of indoor / outdoor activities. Think bocce, cornhole, etc.

There's also the Board Room in DuPont, and Labyrinth in Capitol Hill for tabletop / board games.

DuPont is a bit of a PitA for folks who aren't metroing and walking. Crystal City has easy parking at least. Same with Labryinth.

We could definitely do a bar straight out, but I've had mixed results there. Might be better to open up a nerdy activity and then drink, so that various personality types have a comfort zone.

Though I'd be fine with bocce as a thing.

• Options
    Well, yeah.. It's DC. Parking is a problem everywhere all the time. But both of those shops are two blocks or less from the metro!

Vinoteca off U st. has an outdoor bocce court, and there are a couple of other spots around the city with indoor courts.

Just some thoughts.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I was just trying to accommodate our Richmond and parts western folks. :)

I did my years in DC. I'm old and NOVA now.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    best way to do DC from the Richmond area is just to park at Franconia-Springfield and Metro wherever from there

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Yep since it's a straight shut up I-95 and then you just get off at the mixing bowl.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Depending on the day I am down for showing up.

I work and live in Fairfax/Falls Church. But I can walk to the Vienna metro so I can meet in DC.

I can also drive to Crystal City just a pain because of well, fuck the beltway and Hwy-50 can suck balls a lot too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Games and Drinks sounds good to me.

• Options
    Sept 6 should be decent. As for what to do, yeah that's a bit of a conundrum to nail down. The specifics can be worked out however. Got a bit of time till Sept!

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Games and Drinks sounds awesome. I live and work in Alexandria, so the Van Dorn station is right next to me.

Sept 6 is also a great date for me.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    My suggestion to you guys as someone who participates in the NJ/NYC thread often is to change your thread title to the big shindig date and the location once you have it sorted so people who are not in this thread yet can see there is motion.

And if your final group grows beyond, say, 8... get a reservation somewhere.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    So far we have:

Crystal city (open courtyard, metro access and parking) board games; Follow-up at nearby bar

Labyrinth in Eastern Market (metro accessible, no parking probably, game store with game space. We should confirm with them if we want to go this route but they're usually pretty cool. Probably cramped); Follow-up at some Eastern Market bars

Vinoteca off U St. (metro accessible, parking potential) for bocce; Follow-up at a bar in the area.

Throw a couple more ideas out and we can create a poll or something.

POLLS.

• Options
    hmmmm thats about 4 hours drive each way for me, and I can't get others on board right now, so I might be downgraded to maybe for just a sat evening meetup. Especially if one of the events is drinking.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    hmmmm thats about 4 hours drive each way for me, and I can't get others on board right now, so I might be downgraded to maybe for just a sat evening meetup. Especially if one of the events is drinking.

If you need a couch to crash on after, I can offer mine.
    By couch I mean, I have either an extra bedroom, or a basement with bunnies and an air mattress.

I am however Northish of DC, which I assume is the absolute wrong way.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    I'm the SWVA guy that @DiannaoChong mentioned. Unfortunately I'm working weekends until FOREVER, so as much as I would like to join in the reindeer games, I would have to miss the Sept 6 target date. I would be interested in joining up for the 2.0 version of this meetup if it is in the Winter (and not during a snowpocolypse...)

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    Turns out the 6th is a no-go for me as I already had plans with my wife she didn't tell me about until today.