As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] [Triptycho] Alpha Playtest - Ruins of Gorgondale

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    The ghost fades from view as the warrior swings, then suddenly reappears and reaches out with its spectral tendrils...

Mournful Ghost's Turn
    Action: Ghost Touch vs Gavin

@Marshmallow‌

Turn Order
    Rolinken
    Feldegast
    Gavin
    * Mournful Ghost
    Matthew

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Would've been nice to have Gavin's shield out, now that I think of it.

Though he was expecting the counterattack, Gavin proves too slow to avoid the creature's reaching grasp. The ghost's tendrils pass effortlessly through the fighter's armor, and darkness overtakes him.

Ghost Touch:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]
    Scale Armor (-2 Levels):
    1d2 1 [1d2=1]

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    and on that promising note, @Capfalcon‌ is up!

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Upon seeing the tendrels snake through his companion's armor, Matthew takes advantage of the ghost's distraction, hefting his axe.

However, much to his frustration, his axe finds no purchase in the phantom's form.

Strategy:Draw
    Action: Savage Blow
    Use the Action entry for one of your equipped weapons against a valid target of your Brute Force ability. If you hit, increase the Damage dice number by 1. If the target is reduced to 0 HP or fewer, return this card to your hand.

Geth roll 1d8 for hit
    Geth roll 2d8 for damage
    Geth roll 1d8 for miss

hit:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]
    damage:
    2d8 4 [2d8=1, 3]
    miss:
    1d8 8 [1d8=8]

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Well that couldn't have possibly gone worse...

Geth roll 1d6 for ghost spawning

ghost spawning:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    And the terrible continues!

Geth roll 2#1d6 for Mournful Ghost initiatives

As Matthew and Gavin struggle unsuccessfully with the first specter, two more rise through the floor, moaning the same "Celanis" word you've been hearing. One rises ahead of you, just at the edge of the visible shadows, and the other rises behind you, also just at the edge of the darkness.

Mournful Ghost initiatives:
    2#1d6 2 # 1 [1d6=1] 2 [1d6=2]

• Options
    Rolinken is up... good luck @Grunt's Ghosts

Turn Order
    * Rolinken
    Feldegast
    Gavin <Defenseless - MG1>
    Mournful Ghost 1
    Matthew
    Mournful Ghost 2
    Mournful Ghost 3

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    How many rooms are there to explore?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    That's all in this hallway. To find more, you'll need to progress deeper into the area. Currently it looks something like this:
    XXXXX

XX XX
    XX XX
    X   X
    XX XX
    XX XX

The side rooms that you and Feldegast are in are in that indented area (line 5). There's a ghost right there in the center, together with Matthew and Gavin, and additional ghosts in the north and south parts of the hallway (not in melee range - lines 2 and 7).

You came from the south area. You don't know what's beyond to the north, other than that T-junction in the hallway.

If this were drawn in Sections, there'd be a section divider between lines 3 and 4 and another between lines 6 and 7, as well as ones separating the two small rooms you're in from the hallway in the middle.

@Grunt's Ghosts

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    The rogue just laughed. Why would you piss off ghost by striking it? They could have just walked pass. Rolinken decided that if the group wanted to be stupid, he didn't want a part of that. There was treasure deeper in.

I'll head deeper in.

• Options
    Okay, that'll put you somewhere between the north and central ghosts.

@El Skid

Turn Order
    Rolinken
    * Feldegast
    Mournful Ghost 1
    Matthew
    Mournful Ghost 2
    Mournful Ghost 3

• Options
    Did the ghosts freeze poor @El Skid‌ with fear?

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Whoops, thanks for the notice- forgot about this!

Feldegast returns to the hallway and begins an incantation... Feeling a bit odd that the incantation doesn't involve waving his wand around this time.

Strategy: Move back to hallway
    Action: Begin incantation for Fire Blast
    Area Attack
    Range: 3
    Incantation: 1
    Damage: 1d6 (Piercing 2) Fire
    Special: If there is only one entity in the target section, return this card to your hand.

• Options
    Gavin dozes fitfully. It's clear he was put into quite a deep sleep very quickly, is dreaming, and the dreams aren't pleasant.

The ghost responsible turns its attention toward Matthew...

Mournful Ghost 1's turn
    Action: Ghost Touch vs Matthew of the Chain
    Hit: 1d4
    Special: The target is Defenseless. Armor and Shields have Miss dice reduced two levels for this attack.

If you manage to stay awake then it's your turn @Capfalcon‌

Meanwhile @Marshmallow‌ you still draw 1 card at the start of your turn and discard down to 5 if needed (though you can't draw another card in your Strategy phase since you don't get one this round).

• Options
    I just realized that this is a combat scenario where I will actually be useful! I have a bunch of ways to do damage without having to roll to hit, and all that armour you guys have isn't really going to come in handy for you. Joy! <3

• Options
    When we ran this before, the party got the initial ghost down, then the sorcerer spent every round incanting Fire Blast, holding the incantation until the moment a ghost appeared. If it shared sections with anyone else, they'd clear out and let the sorcerer fire so the spell returned to her hand.

She basically single-handedly cleared the entire scenario / dungeon floor.

(by the way you can hold completed incantations by delaying)

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Well, reducing my miss by 2 steps leaves me with no die. Assuming I can't be lowered to nothing, I'll roll.

Out of curiosity, what is my miss chance if I'm not wearing armor?

Geth roll 1d4 for defense
    Geth roll 1d2 for miss

defense:
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]
    miss:
    1d2 1 [1d2=1]

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    1d2 is the minimum. A 1 on a miss roll is an auto-hit, though...

Armor provides you with a Reaction. You can always choose another Reaction, say from your hand or a shield. If you have no Reactions (no gear, nothing in hand) then you're automatically hit.

The hulking priest joins Gavin in nightmarish sleep. Meanwhile the other ghosts close in on Rolinken and Feldegast...

Mournful Ghost 2's Turn
    Action: Ghost Touch vs Rolinken

Mournful Ghost 3's Turn
    Strategy: Move north
    Action: Ghost Touch vs Feldegast

Ghost Touch
    Hit: 1d4
    Special: The target is Defenseless. Armor and Shields have Miss dice reduced two levels for this attack.

@Grunt's Ghosts@El Skid

Turn Order
    Rolinken
    Feldegast
    Mournful Ghost 1
    Matthew <Defenseless - MG1>
    * Mournful Ghost 2
    * Mournful Ghost 3

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Feldegast stops his indication to bring up his Main Gauche dagger to attempt to deflect the blow

Reaction - Main-gauche
    Miss: 1d8
    Special: You can only use this reaction against melee attacks.

Geth roll 1d4 for MG3 attack
    Geth roll 1d8 for Feldegast's parry

e- God dammit Geth :-/

MG3 attack:
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]
    Feldegast's parry:
    1d8 2 [1d8=2]

El Skid on
  • Options
    You don't have to stop your incantation to make a Reaction.

Specifically, you could use Acid Blood as your Reaction to guarantee a kill (and thus stay awake) without having to give up your Fire Blast incantation...

Giving you a chance to re-do here since basically you guys lose hard and fast if this stays :p

@El Skid

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, I was aware of acid blood... I probably should have used it rather then gambling. I'll redo if it's okay with you and use acid blood to get rid of that ghost and then set the other on fire.

I...wasn't aware that I could use reactions while Incanting? I specifically remember not being able to do so in the first combat scene...

e- maybe that was an interrupt and not a reaction?

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, you can't use Interrupts, Assists, or Strategies without giving up your incantation (though using a Strategy is only possible if you have some weird multi-round incantation time for some reason). You can use Reactions, but if you take damage then you lose your incantation.

The ghost materializes long enough to strike Feldegast, but the sorcerer's trusty acid trick proves its effectiveness even against spectral undead. The spirit is banished, leaving the spellcaster free to continue his incantations.

Turn Order
    * Rolinken
    Feldegast <Incanting>
    Mournful Ghost 1
    Matthew <Defenseless - MG1>
    * Mournful Ghost 2

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Rolinken felt the cold touch of the ghost across his skin. It felt like death rolled over.

Leather Armor Reaction (Miss d4 Defense d2): 1#1d4 1 1#1d2 2
    Ghost touch d4: 1#1d4 1

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    So Feldegast will act next, with Rolinken able to draw a card and not much else. So where are the ghosts now?
    Strategy: Use Regroup
    Strategy
    Discard a card. Draw three cards.

Discard Shield of Force and draw 3.
    Target for Incantion: Pending answer to the above question
    Action: Pending

e- I guess more ghosts could show up at this point too! haha

El Skid on
  • Options
    There are two sections in play; the central hallway (Gavin, Feldegast, Matthew, Ghost 1) and the northern hallway / T-junction (Rolinken, Ghost 2).

I don't roll for ghosts this round because there is more than one ghost currently in play.

• Options
    "Sorry guys...this is gonna get toasty!" Said the magician- to himself, at this point. And he dropped a ball of fire at the ghost's... Well, where the first ghost's feet would have been. Patting out the flames on his own trousers, he turned and tossed a rock at the other ghost.

Incantation on ghost 1s hex,
    Geth roll 1d6 for fire damage (pierce 2) on the rest of the group
    Action: Throw stone (Returning; hit 1d6) at ghost 3

fire damage (pierce 2):
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

• Options
    edited January 2015
    In a series of whirling flourishes, Feldegast banishes one ghost with magical acid, a second with a burst of arcane flame, and a third with a quickly-woven banishment spell attached to a well-tossed stone. Everyone wakes immediately, slightly confused and no worse for the wear.

Well, apart from the singes and burns from Feldegast's fiery eruption, anyway...

Gavin you're up and get a turn! Sadly there's nothing left to kill, but plenty of darkness left to get lost in. @Marshmallow‌

Turn Order
    Rolinken
    Feldegast
    * Gavin
    Matthew

Feldegast hit:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]
    Mournful Ghost miss:
    1d8 2 [1d8=2]

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    haha thats right. All that awesome and nobody else got to see it lol.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Gavin arises from his unwanted slumber drowsy and shaken.

"What in the heck happened here?" he utters, gazing warily at the acid-spattered and scorched surroundings, and his own slightly singed self. "No, you know what, tell me later," he continues eyeing Feldegast with a new respect. "Whatever it was it worked."

Retrieving his dropped torch and weapon, he thoughtfully loops the axe back to his belt, grabbing his shield instead. It might not provide any physical protection, but the cover alone might be enough to make a grasping ghost miss its mark if he's lucky.

Strategy: Swap Francisca for Targe

1d6 vs. 1d4 is much better odds, though it means I won't be able to attack. I can at least do a Create Opening Assist if someone attacks the thing I Engage to boost their Hit dice two levels, so there's that.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    @Capfalcon‌

Turn Order
    Rolinken
    Feldegast
    Gavin
    * Matthew

• Options
    Matthew springs up as the fire singes him, and he looks around for the closest ghost. Seeing that they've all been dispersed by the mage, he claps a hand on his back, saying, "Good job, Feldegast! You'll make a fine exorcist, at this rate. I'm going to go ahead and search for what we're here for."

Draw, sprint forward, then search the room.

• Options
    Matthew takes off down the hallway, turning a random direction at the T-junction and darting into the nearest room. He pokes around for a moment in the darkness, but finding anything of note would require exceptional luck...

Geth roll 1d6 for Matthew's blind searching
    Geth roll 1d6 for ghost spawning

Matthew's blind searching:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]
    ghost spawning:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Matthew finds a Mournful Ghost! Unfortunately, that's not what he was looking for. The ghost edges back away from the holy man, as though taken aback by his flailing searching.

Geth roll 2#1d6 for ghost initiatives

Two ghosts spawn; one is between Matthew and the rest of the party, while the other is behind all of you, toward where you came from. @Grunt's Ghosts

Turn Order
    * (9) Rolinken
    (5) Feldegast
    (5) Mournful Ghost 1
    (4) Gavin
    (2) Mournful Ghost 2
    (1) Matthew

ghost initiatives:
    2#1d6 2 # 2 [1d6=2] 5 [1d6=5]

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    @Grunt's Ghosts is very aptly named for this scenario hehe. Oh, and just so you all know that auto-damage card is gone (if there's more than one target in the square it is discarded), so I can't currently kill anything without rolling, sorry :(

• Options
    So there are no ghosts in my area? If not then I'm going to search at room again.

Rolinken stepped carefully into another room and started to feel for anything valuable here.

• Options
    There are ghosts on both sides of you and no unsearched rooms within radius of Gavin's light.

Okay, this mapless thing isn't working at all! I'll go back to using a map shortly and let you redo your turn.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Excuse this quick and dirty image, but I'll have to keep editing it as we move forward...

00v5p3ttvonk.png

Most of you, including Gavin and his torch, are in B. Matthew is in F. You have searched rooms C and D successfully; Matthew wasn't able to make any sense of F due to lack of light. Gavin's torch illuminates A, B, C, D, and E (range 1, he's in B). There are ghosts in A and E. You guys don't know what the map looks like where the ? are because it's dark and you haven't been there. You came from south of A.

White lines are walls. Blue lines are section borders (doorways for the three that are rooms). The only unsearched room you've found so far is F (Matthew didn't find anything in the darkness).

Turn Order
    * (9) Rolinken {B}
    (5) Feldegast {B}
    (5) Mournful Ghost 1 {A}
    (4) Gavin {B}
    (2) Mournful Ghost 2 {E}
    (1) Matthew {F} <in darkness>

Sections
    A - Mournful Ghost 1
    B - Rolinken, Feldegast, Gavin
    C - empty (searched)
    D - empty (searched)
    E - Mournful Ghost 2
    F - Matthew (dark)

@Grunt's Ghosts

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    Rolinken grabs his crossbow and let's lose a shot at the Ghost ahead of them. "And now I'm the crazy one shooting ghosts."
    Sniper: Increase the Hit dice by one level on all ranged attacks when firing into a section that does not contain allies.
    Sniper Fire:
    Use the Action entry for one of your equipped weapons against a valid target of your Sniper ability. If you hit, deal an extra 1d6 damage and return this card to your hand.
    Action - Pistol Crossbow
    Range: 3
    Hit: 1d8
    Damage: 1d6

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Rolinken's shot strikes the spirit's ectoplasmic core, causing it to instantly dissipate into nothing (even though I completely neglected to give him his Hit bonus).

@El Skid

Turn Order
    (9) Rolinken {B}
    * (5) Feldegast {B}
    (5) Mournful Ghost 1 {A}
    (4) Gavin {B}
    (1) Matthew {F} <in darkness>

Rolinken hit:
    1d8 7 [1d8=7]
    Mournful Ghost 2 miss:
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Feldegast heads bravely into the shadows ahead, grabs a rock and tosses it the remainng ghost's way. Sadly, the rock passes through the ghost's insubstantial form.

strategy: move to A

Use Throw Rock
    Action
    Returning
    Hit:1d6

El Skid on