As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Jeffe said for someone to make a thread on this, so I did.

At any rate: Batman v Superman: Nonstandard Legal Terminology is coming out in 2016. Starring Sad Batman, Jerkface Superman and Eat a Damn Sandwich Already Wonder Woman, along with pretty much everyone else in the DC Universe (except for Martian Manhunter, because Goyer thinks he's stupid and should have sex with She-Hulk or something).

Also: possibly more movies?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Wonder Woman
    8jj947ucpi97.jpg

What she SHOULD look like
    jdarksun wrote: »
    2gzbufoy1bmq.png

Also, possibly fan made weird poster thing:

6r6f8tzz9cbk.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    And the knee-jerk reaction:

wonder-woman-xena-103772.jpg

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    repost from last thread cause it's good

IaB4U6o.jpg

So It Goes on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The "what the shit" look and gesture are what really sell that. They chose the perfect image to put in there.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2014
    Here you go, all better.

8jj947ucpi97_zps17efe595.jpg

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I don't see any issue with the picture personally.

Beyond the bland shitty colour palette anyway.

Seriously motherfuckers, even some goddamn metallic highlights would do wonders here.

shryke on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    (I don't either, really. The palette is shit, but I think Gadot looks fine, and has both sufficient Wonderment and Womanhood.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Godammit.

Superman is supposed to be the light. The ideal, the person that represents the best in all of us.

These movies have done nothing but turn him into a thug.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Why is wonder woman wearing a whalebone corset?

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    I think the wonder woman outfit is fine, but come ON. Could you at least TRY to cast a woman that looks like she's gone to the gym and done more than walking on a treadmill while she reads cosmo???

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And the knee-jerk reaction:

wonder-woman-xena-103772.jpg

The best part being Ms. Lawless actually voiced Wonder Woman in one movie. I think it was the Justice League one that was set in the '60's.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    NotYou wrote: »
    I think the wonder woman outfit is fine, but come ON. Could you at least TRY to cast a woman that looks like she's gone to the gym and done more than walking on a treadmill while she reads cosmo???

These comments are really not helpful.

She looks like she could totally be strong. Your mental image what a woman needs to look like to be strong is probably far removed from reality.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

Magic Guy who flies around in a cape and shoots laser eyes = believable

Skinny woman with magic super strength = not believable

just so we are being clear here

• Options
    I've said it before, but the problem is less that she's small and more the fact that it fits into the stereotype of Hollywood demanding most actresses to be small. Wonder Woman could have been a great way to break out of that stereotype, but nope.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    As was pointed out in the other thread that no longer is, if you do a google image search for Gal Gadot a few years back (ENTIRELY FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES, GUYS FROM IT!), it looks like she did a hell of a lot more than just 'walked on the treadmill while reading cosmo'.

I mean, was anyone expecting the Full Christian Bale, with 80 pounds of muscle tacked onto her frame in half a year?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Plus also Gal has been spending every day since her casting announcement working out at the gym and training in martial arts

I 100% guarantee that if she was bigger and bulkier people would be saying "Wow why did they cast such a fat wonder woman"

I mean this movie is going to be terrible, but Gadot's physical appearance isn't gonna be what sinks it

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    syndalis wrote: »

These comments are really not helpful.

She looks like she could totally be strong. Your mental image what a woman needs to look like to be strong is probably far removed from reality.
    Brienne of Tarth-Gwendoline Christie
    Brienneoftarth.jpg
    Then again...
    Sarah Connor-Linda Hamilton
    terminator_2_linda_hamilton_sarah_connor_wallpaper-1280x1024.jpg
    So eh.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Gal Godot looks great.

Her costume looks great.

The colors and muted tone of the film; however, look like crap.

I'm really not interested in reading about a bunch of people who are upset that he live action wonderwoman isn't Chyna from the WWF for another hundred pages.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    She has like the exact same build as xena in that picture

thats kind of part of the joke, to me

I can barely tell them apart

actually thats a good thing now that I think about it

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    A much more pressing concern is Superman looking grim-dark.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    So are the rumours true though?

Is like...everyone going to be in this movie? Aquaman, Cyborg, Batman, Wonder Woman?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Supposedly yes but in minor roles.

If they're smart about it it'll probably something akin to Falcon in Captain America 2.

More than likely it'll probably be more like whoever that wind guy was in First Class.

Quid on
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

If they're smart about it it'll probably something akin to Falcon in Captain America 2.

More than likely it'll probably be more like whoever that wind guy was in First Class.

If they were smart about it they would have been awesome surprises we found out while watching the finished film.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It's not just a matter of having a Wonder Woman who looks strong, it's also having her look like she can take some hits.

It's OK to cast slender actors to play characters like Spider-Man or Black Widow since they do all sorts of acrobatics to avoid getting hit. However, characters like Superman and Wonder Woman get punched, shot, stabbed, blown up, etc., all the time, so it makes more sense to cast someone who looks bigger and tougher to visually convey the idea that they can take a hit without getting all their bones broken.

• Options
    Nobody can take a hit from a steel beam. It doesn't matter how tough they look. Whether you're powered by magic science or just magic magic, you'll look like you can take a hit because you'll turn around, snarl, and punch the other magic person.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    It's not just a matter of having a Wonder Woman who looks strong, it's also having her look like she can take some hits.

It's OK to cast slender actors to play characters like Spider-Man or Black Widow since they do all sorts of acrobatics to avoid getting hit. However, characters like Superman and Wonder Woman get punched, shot, stabbed, blown up, etc., all the time, so it makes more sense to cast someone who looks bigger and tougher to visually convey the idea that they can take a hit without getting all their bones broken.

just FYI this is what wonder woman looks like in her current (best) iteration
    Wonder_Woman_Vol_4_1_Textless.jpg

Its like the same build

As an aside, one of my favorite (not favorite) interview questions that was asked of Gadot was along the lines of

"Wonder Woman's boobs are way bigger than yours. Is this going to be a problem?"

And I was like "how did she not murder the interviewer"

EDIT: I can't make this stuff up
    It’s been said that you’re too skinny for the part. Wonder Woman is large-breasted, is that going to change?

Gal Gadot: Hmm. I represent the Wonder Women of the new world. Breasts… anyone can buy for 9,000 shekels and everything is fine. By the way, Wonder Woman is amazonian, and historically accurate amazonian women actually had only one breast. So, if I’d really go “by the book”…it’d be problematic.

Arch on
  • Options

on the one hand

this is going to be horrible

on the other hand

CYBORG

• Options
    Nobody can take a hit from a steel beam. It doesn't matter how tough they look. Whether you're powered by magic science or just magic magic, you'll look like you can take a hit because you'll turn around, snarl, and punch the other magic person.

Which is why they cast skinny actors to play Superman, Captain America, Thor, etc., right?

Of course no one can take the kinds of hits that a fictional hero with super powers can. That's not the point. It's about using imagery to convey ideas to the audience have already associated with. Logically, Superman can be 4 foot tall, 60 pounds, and look like a goblin. However, they generally cast handsome 6'2" 220 pound actors to play him because that's the physique we associate with being strong, tough, and heroic.

Just think about the kind of physique we associate with being tough and strong, and look at how they cast tough and strong male superheroes. How often have they cast a skinny actor to play a tough strong male superhero and then used the excuse of, "well, he gets his strength from super powers so he doesn't need to look buff"?

• Options
    edited July 2014

Which is why they cast skinny actors to play Superman, Captain America, Thor, etc., right?

Of course no one can take the kinds of hits that a fictional hero with super powers can. That's not the point. It's about using imagery to convey ideas to the audience have already associated with. Logically, Superman can be 4 foot tall, 60 pounds, and look like a goblin. However, they generally cast handsome 6'2" 220 pound actors to play him because that's the physique we associate with being strong, tough, and heroic.

Just think about the kind of physique we associate with being tough and strong, and look at how they cast tough and strong male superheroes. How often have they cast a skinny actor to play a tough strong male superhero and then used the excuse of, "well, he gets his strength from super powers so he doesn't need to look buff"?

Silver Surfer
    Doctor Strange
    Wolverine

Edit: None of which matters. They're all powered by made up magic/science. No one thinks X character is super strong and tough because they're stacked. They think they are because the script shows it.

Quid on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I'd like to point out that Captain America being buff makes sense.
    Otherwise carry on.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Oh the kids from Chronicle too. Crazy powerful. Not much muscle.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I remember seeing some kind of elseworlds or alternative history comic where superman was basically a tiny, weird looking goblin because he'd been captured by the military as a baby and locked away most of his life.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'd like to point out that Captain America being buff makes sense.
    Otherwise carry on.

Chris Evans is buff to bring all the ladies to the yard.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

just FYI this is what wonder woman looks like in her current (best) iteration
    Wonder_Woman_Vol_4_1_Textless.jpg

Its like the same build

As an aside, one of my favorite (not favorite) interview questions that was asked of Gadot was along the lines of

"Wonder Woman's boobs are way bigger than yours. Is this going to be a problem?"

And I was like "how did she not murder the interviewer"

EDIT: I can't make this stuff up
    It’s been said that you’re too skinny for the part. Wonder Woman is large-breasted, is that going to change?

Gal Gadot: Hmm. I represent the Wonder Women of the new world. Breasts… anyone can buy for 9,000 shekels and everything is fine. By the way, Wonder Woman is amazonian, and historically accurate amazonian women actually had only one breast. So, if I’d really go “by the book”…it’d be problematic.

She's right that actresses don't need big breasts to be Wonder Woman, she's wrong about the DCU Amazons being identical to our Amazons.

"By the Book" Wonder Woman is this:

4609d9a702a80bbf3b8f97408a245918.jpg

• Options

Silver Surfer
    Doctor Strange
    Wolverine

Edit: None of which matters. They're all powered by made up magic/science. No one thinks X character is super strong and tough because they're stacked. They think they are because the script shows it.

Silver Surfer was CGI. Doctor Strange hasn't been cast, he's also not a character known for being physically strong/tough. Live action Wolverine looks like this:

202mj5.jpg
    Oh the kids from Chronicle too. Crazy powerful. Not much muscle.

They're original creations and they're not superheroes. They're also telekinetics.

• Options
    Yeah you're making some pretty arbitrary distinctions here.

That Silver Surfer is CGI is irrelevant to the fact that he's relatively skinny. Doctor Strange beats people/demons up on the reg. Movie Wolverine is routinely criticized for being too tall. They're all original creations at one point or another so I don't even get how that's a distinction. And that they perform feats of strength with made up telekinetic powers instead of made up strength powers doesn't strike me as particularly relevant either.

Oh, also, Spiderman. Seems super obvious now.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    This is a pretty ridiculous run-around the actual point:

It'd be nice to see a buff lady get a part in an action film, because those roles are pretty thin on the ground. Wonder Woman might have worked, and it's a bit disappointing that they went with the same skinny-as-possible weight-loss plan that they do for every female role.

Would have also been neat if after deciding Gal Gadot was good for the role they'd been like "oh man let's get you jacked as fuuuuck" because again, very little jacked-lady representation in media even when it'd make sense because they feel like America prefers ladies who are quite thin in all areas of every media they consume.

Superpowers/Muscles discussion is just weirdly beside the point.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Yeah you're making some pretty arbitrary distinctions here.

That Silver Surfer is CGI is irrelevant to the fact that he's relatively skinny. Doctor Strange beats people/demons up on the reg. Movie Wolverine is routinely criticized for being too tall. They're all original creations at one point or another so I don't even get how that's a distinction. And that they perform feats of strength with made up telekinetic powers instead of made up strength powers doesn't strike me as particularly relevant either.

Oh, also, Spiderman. Seems super obvious now.

The distinction I made was pretty clear. I was talking about characters who are known to be physically tough and strong, like Superman and Thor.

Doctor Strange hasn't even been cast so I don't know why you brought him up at all. Wolverine being criticized for being tall doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he's really buff. As for Chronicle, the point of the movie was that those were supposed to be bunch of regular kids, not superheroes.

I also made a point earlier about Spider-Man and Black Widow being slender is fine because they're acrobatic heroes who avoid getting hit.

And my point is that pretty much none of the superheroes have to be buff. However, with male superheroes, they tend to cast actors who are big, because that's what we associate with being powerful. So even though the argument of "it doesn't matter if Wonder Woman looks skinny" is fine within the context of the story, it doesn't address the issue of the different standards in how male and female actors are cast, and the lack of diversity and representation in the casting of women.

Heck, as you've pointed out, there's quite a bit of diversity in the different physiques of male superheroes. You have skinny heroes, medium build heroes, buff heroes, monstrous looking heroes (like the Hulk), and everything in between. However, with female superheroes, there's basically just the slender physique and occasionally some with medium builds. Wonder Woman is an opportunity to add some diversity and have a hero who has a physique that breaks away from the norm and moves more towards the bigger and buffer.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    She looks generic. She doesn't look cool to me. That's a combo of the costume, her body shape, her looks, and the photoshop on that pic.

Maybe it'll be better on film, I dunno.

I agree with synd's post with the color changes tho.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

If they were smart about it they would have been awesome surprises we found out while watching the finished film.

that is probably not the fault of the people who put them in the movie

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.