As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Activision resurrects the SIERRA Brand...?

C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Best case scenario: Ports and HD remakes of Sierra's game library. Which would be cool.

Probable scenario: Soulless mobile games hocked by propping up Sierra's stuffed corpse.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    "We have a bunch of games made by a ton of development groups that nobody has ever heard of. We need a way to trick people inspire nostalgia and brand loyalty. I need a list of old defunct studio names that we own, stat!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    what if

they took the Sierra name

and created their own digital platform with it

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    what if

they took the Sierra name

and created their own digital platform with it

Activisions Origin?

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Best case scenario: Ports and HD remakes of Sierra's game library. Which would be cool.

A remake of Lords of the Realm II with better graphics would be amazing

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    The ancient prophecy is coming true. Source 2 has been seen in the wild, and Sierra has risen from its grave to walk among us again.

The Free Man shall rise.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Roger Wilco, Space Janitor?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If this gets me a version of Quest for Glory 4 that doesn't constantly crash I'll take it.

• Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    I wonder if it's a coincidence that Gold Rush showed up on Steam last week...

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    It's going to be free to play iOS games where you have to buy energy every couple of hours.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2014
    The "Sierra Brand" has been propped up by the fan community and outsiders for some time, actually. Lots of neat games came from Phoenix Studios, AGD... now Pinkerton Road is remaking Gabriel Knight 1.

Activision is a very copy-friendly environment... and I don't think the model they plan to copy is the free to play one.

I think what they are looking at is the runaway success of Telltale games, Broken Age, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango... and they have an entire back catalog of stories and games that just need a modern coat of paint and possibly some episodic hooks so they can get in on this revival of the adventure game.

edit: so I expect "King's Quest" on the market for 4.99, with some arbitrary stopping points cooked in so they can have you buy the next chapter once it is ready, ala TWD. That's my guess.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

Probable scenario: Soulless mobile games hocked by propping up Sierra's stuffed corpse.

...Y'know, in fairness, some of the old point and click games would - if ported with care - work really damn well on mobile platforms. Like, I don't see why my beloved King's Quest VI couldn't run just like old times on a smartphone.

Just.

Just don't fuck it up with bad 3D modeling, plz. Just stick with the sprites.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The Ender wrote: »

...Y'know, in fairness, some of the old point and click games would - if ported with care - work really damn well on mobile platforms. Like, I don't see why my beloved King's Quest VI couldn't run just like old times on a smartphone.

Just.

No, if they do this those sprites are going away.

They may redraw them instead of going 3D... but they can't sell these games on nostalgia alone, and those sprites?

yo3abzmuz2d2.jpg

They didn't age so well.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It's an old book series, and Raymond E. Feist would need to get involved, but I would kill for a remastering of Betrayal at Krondor/Return to Krondor.

90% of the characters in the game aren't even relevent anymore in his Midkemia universe, but who cares. I wants it.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Also, this does not look bad at all, and is possibly the best sprite-based game Sierra ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_CBhRacBag

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    By all means, redraw them. Or replace the sprites with good 3D models.

But plz

No more things like the Turtles in Time 'HD' remake (oh God why) or the Flashback 'HD' remake (oh GOD WHYYYYYY).

EDIT: Also, i can think of several scenes on the Isle of Wonder that just flat-out wouldn't work in 3D, because of the way the artist(s) play with perspective for comedic effect.

It has to be painted.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    I would love a remake of Quest for Glory V.

Wait...remake isn't the right word.

Re-do.

What an awful way to end the series after the (albeit buggy) masterpiece that was Quest for Glory IV.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    It's an old book series, and Raymond E. Feist would need to get involved, but I would kill for a remastering of Betrayal at Krondor/Return to Krondor.

90% of the characters in the game aren't even relevent anymore in his Midkemia universe, but who cares. I wants it.

Midkemia was dead to me the moment Gorath died.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Sierra made the King's Quest series right? I'd LOVE a King's Quest 7 remake. Man that game was bizarre!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If this means Activision will actually start releasing smaller, non-AAA games I'm all for it.

Could be Kotick is noticing that game companies that are releasing fewer, bigger games are getting slammed by shareholders during quarters with no releases, and this could be a way to prop up the schedules.

While we're on the subject, Kotick nearly got fired a while back.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    It's probably just that the trademark was going to expire if they didn't use it, or something.

I know nothing about trademark law.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    darleysam wrote: »
    It's probably just that the trademark was going to expire if they didn't use it, or something.

Pretty sure (in the US at least) all you have to do to renew is to file paperwork. Nintendo renewed their trademark on Eternal Darkness in 2011 I think, and nothing came of it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well there's just renewing a trademark, and then there's creating a website, new logo, and CG animatic. You don't really go to that much effort without having something in mind.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    darleysam wrote: »

They're teasing something at Gamescom if you go to the website (lower left after watching the video), so they're announcing something shortly.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Who was in charge of decapitating the body and burying it upside down?

I bet they thought we'd never notice. Surely /this/ one won't turn out to be a horrible undead monstrosity, they thought.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    And I know it's easy to be cynical and say F2P Moba type stuff but they wouldn't need to bring Sierra back for that stuff. They know the brand has a certain association (old adventure games) and Gamescom is traditionally a more core oriented convention.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I got my start with gaming with two things:

1. A Commodore VIC-20 in the early 1980's.
    2. Leisure Suit Larry when I was, oh, about 7 years old (which probably explains a lot :P )

I would love to return to the old games again. Sierra games were gaming for me in the late 80's/early 90's. That, and Wing Commander.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    I was disappointed that the logo animation didn't have the old sierra jingle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEnp4hZm0ss

I would download a car.
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure what the point of resurrecting what are essentially defunct game company brands. It's not like the name really means anything any more now that everyone who worked there is probably gone.

I am curious as to what this means for Leisure Suit Larry, since Al Lowe already remade the original again. I wonder if this new Sierra would have any rights to the series at all.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I am curious as to what this means for Leisure Suit Larry, since Al Lowe already remade the original again. I wonder if this new Sierra would have any rights to the series at all.

Nothing at all as Codemasters purchased the license in 2009. Codemasters then lent the license to Replay.

That doesn't matter anymore though after the ceo of replay turned out to be a terrible human being and al lowe left the company less than a year ago.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I, for one, would totally play a King's Quest MOBA.

Jollo for ranged carry that throws juggling pins at things.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I'm not really sure what the point of resurrecting what are essentially defunct game company brands. It's not like the name really means anything any more now that everyone who worked there is probably gone.

Well, "Atari" is making a comeback, even though it has nothing to do with anyone involved in, well, anything people would remember about Atari other than the IPs.

They're banking on brand power.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Maybe we'll get another Manhunter game. I never did get to play Manhunter: San Francisco, but I loved Manhunter: New York on my ol' Mac.

Admittedly, that game probably doesn't withstand the test of time...but looking at some of the screenshots here gives me a bit of nostalgia.

lubri.png
    flushed1.png
    We're not getting another Manhunter game.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »

Just.

No, if they do this those sprites are going away.

They may redraw them instead of going 3D... but they can't sell these games on nostalgia alone, and those sprites?

yo3abzmuz2d2.jpg

They didn't age so well.

Truthfully the games themselves don't hold up so well either

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Goumindong wrote: »

Truthfully the games themselves don't hold up so well either

Eh, depends on the game. Kings Quest VI is still pretty good.

Also IMO, I prefer sprites (lots of charm). High Quality sprites are pretty costly though so its understandable if they don't do them. Handdrawn backgrounds are still the best though and are still done at times. (Should be done more as well)

And of course animations were pretty great.

*Insert any sprite based fighting game*

C2B on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The King's Quest games were such bullshit.

I mean, I loved them as a kid.

But they were bullshit.

Leisure Suit Larry was a bit better about not heartlessly screwing over the player. Except for 2.

So I'd like all those old Sierra adventure games be remade, but I don't really want faithful remakes.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited August 2014

But they were bullshit.

Leisure Suit Larry was a bit better about not heartlessly screwing over the player. Except for 2.

So I'd like all those old Sierra adventure games be remade, but I don't really want faithful remakes.

Kings Quest VI I said. Had way less dead ends than the rest. (Apart from being a really amazing game)

Also check these out

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

C2B on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

But they were bullshit.

KQV was the big offender on the dead end front. They all had issues, but V was the one that required you to hold onto a pie for three hours to solve a bullshit puzzle that would otherwise cause your death.

I don't know if I want this. Two Guys From Andromeda are doing SpaceVenture, Roberta Williams is retired, the Coles are making Hero-U, Jim Walls is trying to get funding for Precinct... Activision has all the licenses, but none of the people. It's a very Ship of Theseus problem, and I don't think I trust them enough to treat the games properly.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Why yes I would like more historical city builders!