Options

giant bomb website thread

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Now when someone gets on a stage and tries to say something is exclusive no one will believe them.

"Now"

sig.gif
  • Options
    That ship sailed in 2005 for me when Resident Evil 4 was GameCube-exclusive for a hot minute.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Oh that bioware thing sounds okay

But I think asymmetrical team games are neat.

personally i am waaaaaay more interested in this game than anything else bioware has made in the last like, decade. But I loooooooove asymmetrical team games.

I want it to create the gameplay experience that I always dreamed Neverwinter Nights would give me--me and some buddies playing adventurers while another buddy plays Dungeon Master.

Apparently there were some people who actually played NWN that way, but it never happened for me. My dreams of playing a halfling rogue who stealthed ahead of the party to mitigate traps and scout for enemies on a computer monitor remained unfulfilled. Fortunately I've played my share of tabletop RPGs, but for some reason the desire to do this on a computer monitor continues to burn somewhere deep within. I guess we'll see how this game turns out?

• Options
    Captain K wrote: »
    it's really hard to imagine that kind of thing driving console sales

"I absolutely have to play the new Tomb Raider game the second that shit drops, I guess I have no choice but to buy a new Xbox"

are there even a tiny handful of people on the planet who will say this? like, are there even tens of people who will say this?

there were people ordering PS4s to play the destiny beta.

i don't get it personally but there are people out there.

There's a difference. That's not people who already had an Xbox One. Destiny hits everything, and for tons of people (me included, probably!) it's the game that'll make them jump into the new-gen. Yes it's also coming out on PS3/360 but this is one of those games where you kinda want to play it on the new thing.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is gonna be new-gen exclusive anyway, so anyone who wants to play it who doesn't have a gaming PC or want to play it on PC for some reason will have to get either a PS4 or XBone to play it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    on a gut level i don't think i like this but i'm willing to be convinced otherwise

looking forward to hearing what folks think of it

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    so like.

the tomorrow children.

this game looks incredibly interesting and i have no idea what it is and that excites me.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUlD0Kd6We8

4 minutes of Shadow Realms

I have yet to figure out if BioWare Austin is one of the "real" BioWares

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    so like.

the tomorrow children.

this game looks incredibly interesting and i have no idea what it is and that excites me.

The use of Polyushka Polye makes everything seem strange and exciting.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

I dunno, but whoever was controlling this and immediately set the mouse to inverted is my hero

• Options
    Do you enjoy horror movies? Do any of the following tickle your fancy?

A deranged killer prowling around in the basement of a long-abandoned hotel
    Scary little dolls with no eyes
    Clown masks
    Frightened young women, who have not quite completed bathtime
    Scary and very sudden full-screen horror face
    Drip...drip...drip
    Ghostly woman floating dreamily through corridors
    Grinning psychopath leaping out of shadows wielding sharp but anachronistic implement
    Horrible 'one of us has to die, but who is it going to be?' moral choices
    Things that go bump in the night
    Annoying teenagers whose variously unhelpful hysteria or overly rational skepticism is a sure death-sentence.

All these and more feature in Until Dawn, a horror game for PlayStation 4, coming out next year.

Interactivity is achieved through exploration, investigation, dialog choices, puzzles and the odd Quicktime Event. The game shifts quickly between performed scenes and playtime, and moves along at a clip. There are scarier games, in terms of atmosphere, for sure, but few that throw quite as many frights at the player with so much glee.

Also interesting, you play as eight different people stuck in a scary mansion, and your choices have an effect on the game to such an extent that you dictate who lives and who dies. A butterfly logo thingie appears in the screen (it's the Butterfly Effect, geddit?) when you have one of those 'the game will remember this choice' moments, even though its significance may not become clear for some time.

Given the complexity of choice-trees in games, it will be interesting to see how this plays out from a narrative viewpoint, especially as you are controlling (at least to begin with) eight people.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/13/5997297/hands-on-with-until-dawn

So Until Dawn sounds like a slasher movie Maniac Mansion revival by Telltale

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I dunno, but whoever was controlling this and immediately set the mouse to inverted is my hero

I didn't realize Hitler was a PC gamer

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Oh, wow. The sister showed up in the Akibas Trip Quick Look and she is literally the worst.

Also, this fucking game, man.

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular

"I absolutely have to play the new Tomb Raider game the second that shit drops, I guess I have no choice but to buy a new Xbox"

are there even a tiny handful of people on the planet who will say this? like, are there even tens of people who will say this?
    It's more that they'll hear the initial round of headlines saying "new Tomb Raider, exclusively on Xbox, this year" and go "oh, so it won't come out on anything else" and then never see the followup asterisks.

I've mentioned this before but half the reason we have a PS4 now is that my husband thought the Grim Fandango remake wasn't going to come out on PC, and he is a guy who is into video games. He just was interested in it as "oh it's a game seasleepy will want to get, oh good I can now justify this purchase as something other than a toy just for me" and because he wasn't actually interested in the game himself, he stopped paying attention to it and completely missed all the discussion immediately afterwards that it was almost certainly going to come out elsewhere. (I didn't know this was part of his mental criteria or I'd have corrected him but I was perfectly fine with getting a PS4 anyway because Sportsfriends!)

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    well then I guess Shadow Realms isn't what I hoped for when I first read a brief announcement

but it could still be cool

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So shadow realm is gauntlet legends with some kind of quasi-DM?

I wish that video showed the 5th guy's perspective, because I already know I like hack and slash but I hope they made the other role interesting

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    so people are tremendously nice to me and I well

I think things are going to be a-ok everyone

ima be chilling in http://plug.dj/705saiyans/ (I forgot the other channels so this is the one my friends and I used) if anyone wants to join me on this fine day while I play some video games

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Also when people were talking about Dean Hall earlier in the thread, the New Zealander who made DayZ.

People eventually got the New Zealand part of his accent but he was also doing something crazy with his Rs that I have never heard anyone from New Zealand OR Australia do so I would not be surprised if that was why some people were thrown off.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    Oh yeah, something that has been pointed out to me

This new SharePlay thing on PS4 means that even games that only have local multiplayer like Sportsfriends or Samurai Gunn or TowerFall will now technically have online

Granted, you could probably only get one other player in

But it's something

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Uh..this is definitely Hawke, right?

fQXUwNY.png

Yep, that's definitely Hawke.

Same hair, same warpaint across her nose, same armor.

Not only is it cool that Hawke will be in the game, but it's also pretty great that they're using the female Hawke for their trailer.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The stuff on the site REALLY wants to emphasize that it's like a tabletop RPG experience.
    I've never really understood why Devs try to replicate that experience

well no, I mean, I get it. It's a fun gameplay style that nerds have been playing for decades

but what I love about Tabletop RPGs is how fuckin' spontaneous they are. Like, you are only limited by the ruleset of the system you're playing. If Gornax the Orc Barbarian wants to steal a cart and start spinning ye olde brodies in the town square, you just have to roll some dice.

Games will always be limited in what they can replicate in that regards so while they might come close there will never be a 1:1 analogue outside of a straight-up DnD Simulator 2014 or something

Yeah I think a wii u d&d game could be fun with the dm using the Gamepad. But I don't think you could ever replicate the freedom of choice that shows up in an actual campaign.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    SimBen wrote: »

There's a difference. That's not people who already had an Xbox One. Destiny hits everything, and for tons of people (me included, probably!) it's the game that'll make them jump into the new-gen. Yes it's also coming out on PS3/360 but this is one of those games where you kinda want to play it on the new thing.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is gonna be new-gen exclusive anyway, so anyone who wants to play it who doesn't have a gaming PC or want to play it on PC for some reason will have to get either a PS4 or XBone to play it.

Actually Phil Spencer mentioned that RotTR is going to be on 360 as well.
    "I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is.

Fall/Holiday 2015 seems ill fitting to still have cross-gen games.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

fQXUwNY.png

Not only is it cool that Hawke will be in the game, but it's also pretty great that they're using the female Hawke for their trailer.

Yeah, that's the second thing I noticed.

"Is that Hawke?"

"Is that... my Hawke?"

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »

Actually Phil Spencer mentioned that RotTR is going to be on 360 as well.
    "I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is.

Fall/Holiday 2015 seems ill fitting to still have cross-gen games.

Oh wow okay.

I keep thinking "surely this batch of those is the last one of those". Guess not.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

fQXUwNY.png

lady snark hawke is the only hawke that really exists

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, that Shadow Realms gameplay doesn't do much for me

Obviously it ls still super early on so it is unrefined and whatnot but it looks super hack and slash-y and kinda boring

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    They sold a lot of those consoles and not everyone is gonna automatically jump to the current gen straight away.

At some point companies are just leaving money on the table by not giving those people games.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, that Shadow Realms gameplay doesn't do much for me

Obviously it ls still super early on so it is unrefined and whatnot but it looks super hack and slash-y and kinda boring

quick roll 1d20 for hack and/or slash and/or burn

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    They sold a lot of those consoles and not everyone is gonna automatically jump to the current gen straitght away.

At some point companies are just leaving money on the table by not giving those people games.

More people bought PS2s, and cross-gen games were practically dead by 2006, one year after the 360 launch

This will be two years after the new gen started

It's crazy

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Unfortunately for me, it's not 2006 anymore.

The market has changed a whole lot in the last eight years.

• Options
    It's not like these consoles aren't selling

The PS4 has cracked 10 million and the Xbox is probably at what, 5 or 6? Maybe 7?

Those aren't bad numbers at all, especially for less than a year out

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I hope that Shadow Realms borrows the conversation stuff from the Old Republic. I really dug that.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    god dangit UPS guy get here with F-Zero already

• Options
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Guys

The description for that new Bioware IP used the only words I needed to hear

Machine gun wizards.

Also I guess it basically being campaign mode of L4D except a player plays as the director, but with RPG elements. And I love a good co-op game. I'm definitely interested.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    yeah that bioware game is aimed squarely in my direction

• Options
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Woooooooooow that trailer is fucking garbage

CYpGAPn.png