As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Job interview and salary discussion

2»

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'm going to try and get those detail in the interview tomorrow, as well. Perhaps I should go over the benefits before I suggest any pay, so I have a clearer picture to work with.

As some of you have already brought up, a big part of this is that the area interests me as a starting point. I would like to pursue a career in nonprofits if I don't go back to school, and an admin assistant job might help me get into higher administrative positions down the road. It would awesome to head a project or do organizing, as I have assisted with in my internships, and this may be a way to get to that. Of course it will take some time, but so would any such goal.

The other big influence is the convenience. The location is extremely close to me. I have spent the last 5 years commuting by train a total of 3-6 hours every day I had class. This would be a 20 minute car drive.

Well, convenience is an important thing to consider. Travel costs definitely add up, especially if your company doesn't reimburse for trains / buses / parking.

One thing you should really think about before taking this position: admin assistant jobs tend to be dead-end jobs. The hiring manager at this organization has explicitly told you that this job will be a dead-end job. Most admin assistants I know have only been able to advance to positions of "senior administrative assistant," which is basically an honorific for people who have been in the position for 5+ years and gotten enough pay raises.

I'd recommend that you go to LinkedIn and look up a) the profiles of people listed on the non-profit's page and b) the profiles of anyone in your network who works or has worked as an admin assistant. This will help give you a better idea of the potential career paths you'd be signing up for by taking this job.

I don't meant to disparage being an admin assistant. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you value. If you value being close to home and having a steady paycheck, and you don't really know what you want to do with your career yet, then this job could be a good fit for you right now.

But if what you really want to do is "head up a project or do organizing," then I recommend that you look for a job that lets you do that right now. Even if it's another internship or a volunteer gig and you have to work another full-time job at a bar or restaurant on the side. Given that you have a master's degree and a few internships under your belt already, you could probably get a job that better fits your career aspirations if you keep looking. Don't be afraid to turn down the job if it's not a good fit; you've got a while yet before you need to worry about resume gaps.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    dead end jobs aren't necessarily a terrible thing if it's your first office job. sometimes it's just good to get experience working in an office or your foot in a door.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I have been reflecting a lot on where the job leads. The second interview was today, and it went well, but they want a third one.

Given the expectations for the position, and that they have three other candidates, I'm sure they will find someone willing to take less pay.

Until they call to set a specific third interview, I'm going to be applying as much as I can to positions that may be a better fit. Hopefully I get a call back before I hear from this organization. If not, and things don't work out here, at least I have other possibilities still floating around.

To be honest, I did get very fearful of taking the job when they described the position. It is a nonprofit, but it isn't work that is in any way specific to that field.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    Who sets up a process of three interviews for a $12/hr job?!? Good grief

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    You have a Masters Degree, why are you trying to get an admin assistant job that pays $13 an hour?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    Yeah, those are things that worry me. Such a low wage and three interviews for it. I may steer clear, hopefully something better comes up. This thread has been amazingly helpful though, my future go to guide for job hunting! Thanks guys!

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    In this economy, that's all there really is. You basically have to be amazing or in the know to get anything above $20/hr these days. Or held on to your job before the 2008 crash with tight hands.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me