As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Fucking Thread About the 2016 Elections, Seriously, What the Hell, I Don't Even

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I feel like I say this every time taxes come up. I feel like a lot of people would be less aggressively anti-tax if they actually understood how a progressive/bracket tax system works. It's very frustrating how few people I run into in the real world even have a basic understanding.

Nah. Most the the vehement anti-tax proponents are stuck in a neanderthal mindset that says "all the money I make should be mine!"

All taxes, to them, are being given to welfare queens and other assorted moochers.

Facts and true believers, etc.

The point is people who can actually be convinced by mere facts.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    And now let us collectively facepalm at what might be the stupidest thing that Clinton has done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/03/us/politics/hillary-clintons-use-of-private-email-at-state-department-raises-flags.html?_r=0
    WASHINGTON — Hillary Rodham Clinton exclusively used a personal email account to conduct government business as secretary of state, State Department officials said, and may have violated federal requirements that officials’ correspondence be retained as part of the agency’s record.

Mrs. Clinton did not have a government email address during her four-year tenure at the State Department. Her aides took no actions to have her personal emails preserved on department servers at the time, as required by the Federal Records Act.

How the hell did the Secretary of State not get an official @gov email?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    She hired Mark Penn, the only thing she can ever do dumber than that would be hiring him again.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    And now let us collectively facepalm at what might be the stupidest thing that Clinton has done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/03/us/politics/hillary-clintons-use-of-private-email-at-state-department-raises-flags.html?_r=0
    WASHINGTON — Hillary Rodham Clinton exclusively used a personal email account to conduct government business as secretary of state, State Department officials said, and may have violated federal requirements that officials’ correspondence be retained as part of the agency’s record.

Mrs. Clinton did not have a government email address during her four-year tenure at the State Department. Her aides took no actions to have her personal emails preserved on department servers at the time, as required by the Federal Records Act.

People who think they are superior tend to have a blatant disregard for what IT tells them, and almost always outrank IT. Take that and extrapolate it out to the fucking Secretary of State. IT monkey is never, ever, ever winning that battle, no matter how many laws it breaks.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Hmm, there should just be a SecOSt@DC.us that is assigned and when a new one comes around just do a password change. And if it's not being used, get some whistle blowing going on.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Don't worry, she can just have someone subpoena her records from Google in the guise of a fishing expedition.
    Please tell me she wasn't using yahoo or rocketmail.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I feel like I say this every time taxes come up. I feel like a lot of people would be less aggressively anti-tax if they actually understood how a progressive/bracket tax system works. It's very frustrating how few people I run into in the real world even have a basic understanding.

Nah. Most the the vehement anti-tax proponents are stuck in a neanderthal mindset that says "all the money I make should be mine!"

All taxes, to them, are being given to welfare queens and other assorted moochers.

I once had a conversation with a government employee that came down to him going "All tax is theft"

So. Yeah.

Re: Clinton: Once again proving powerful people can be so, so stupid.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Don't worry, she can just have someone subpoena her records from Google in the guise of a fishing expedition.
    Please tell me she wasn't using yahoo or rocketmail.

Is AOL still in the email game?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    No one really likes paying taxes. But everyone likes the things that taxes buy you, so shut the fuck up about paying for shit in one breath and bitching about the god damn roads in the other!

And Huckabee would be doomed as a presidential candidate Maurice Clemmons saw to that when he killed four police officers in washington state.

Disagree with the bolded.

I'm probably biased cause of my job but I really do like paying taxes and seeing firsthand what they go to. I watch taxes provide health care, lower and higher education, housing, food, financial counseling, and god knows how many other services to people I work with every day and am genuinely happy to know I help make that happen.

So yeah, personally, I like paying taxes.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I look at countries without good systems of taxation and how they're giant shitholes, and then I realize how much of my money I still have after paying to not live in a place like that, and I'm glad I live in a country with taxes.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

People who think they are superior tend to have a blatant disregard for what IT tells them, and almost always outrank IT. Take that and extrapolate it out to the fucking Secretary of State. IT monkey is never, ever, ever winning that battle, no matter how many laws it breaks.

(sigh) Yeah.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Oh hey...that's gonna end up a massive problem for her. Great..now I can look forward to the Benghazi dominating the news cycle again.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The other thing that gets me about that is...you're Hillary Clinton. Do you really WANT to give people an excuse to subpoena your personal email account, or do you keep the emails on the official servers where they are firewalled like a sane person.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Happens all the time with mobile devices. Someone hits the personal email address instead of work email from their contact list, recipient just hits reply. Or sender doesn't realise they have their personal email folder open when they create a new email, and again recipient just hits reply.

I don't think it's necessarily hubris. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to tell people "Quit sending work stuff to my personal email" to people who haven't realized they're doing it.

Archangle on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Son of a bitch, this is an actual problem, rather than a stupid made up Republican problem.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »

Happens all the time with mobile devices. Someone hits the personal email address instead of work email from their contact list, recipient just hits reply. Or sender doesn't realise they have their personal email folder open when they create a new email, and again recipient just hits reply.

I don't think it's necessarily hubris. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to tell people "Quit sending work stuff to my personal email" to people who haven't realized they're doing it.

I figured it had more to do with how Ken Starr did his investigation souring her on using official email etc.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Son of a bitch, this is an actual problem, rather than a stupid made up Republican problem.

On the one hand, it sucks. Hillary was/potentially is a sure bet for the candidacy and by extension the presidency.

On the other hand, if this means she isn't the presumptive nominee, maybe somebody who isn't Hillary has a shot. If a good candidate emerges that isn't milquetoast like Kerry, I won't complain too much.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Anyway, this is another prime example of "18 months is an eternity in political time".

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

On the one hand, it sucks. Hillary was/potentially is a sure bet for the candidacy and by extension the presidency.

On the other hand, if this means she isn't the presumptive nominee, maybe somebody who isn't Hillary has a shot. If a good candidate emerges that isn't milquetoast like Kerry, I won't complain too much.

That is what I was thinking. It still sucks.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

True, but is it an interesting enough problem for the media to give it any attention?

Edit: And I wouldn't be surprised to find plenty of the Republican choices have done the same thing.

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The other thing that gets me about that is...you're Hillary Clinton. Do you really WANT to give people an excuse to subpoena your personal email account, or do you keep the emails on the official servers where they are firewalled like a sane person.

It's a common practice for politicians to do while in office. IIRC Romney and Palin did it too.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    There is a difference between "using private email for government business" and "using private email for ALL government business." She never used any official email.

That's a big problem.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm guessing Felony-level. Not that it'll ever go that far, just... yeah. It's probably a felony.

• Options
    The biggest problem for Hillary is that even if this was a bona fide, honest-to-god mistake and she attempts to mitigate this somehow by providing email access and oversight to officials for their perusal, there's no absolute 100% guarantee that she didn't clean it up a bit first. This can always be used to hurt her campaign aspirations, because the possibility that she messed with it will always be there. There was no oversight on this.

I'm not going to weasel-word this. It's incredibly damaging to Hillary. This is way worse than a Benghazi non-scandal.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The biggest problem for Hillary is that even if this was a bona fide, honest-to-god mistake and she attempts to mitigate this somehow by providing email access and oversight to officials for their perusal, there's no absolute 100% guarantee that she didn't clean it up a bit first. This can always be used to hurt her campaign aspirations, because the possibility that she messed with it will always be there. There was no oversight on this.

I'm not going to weasel-word this. It's incredibly damaging to Hillary. This is way worse than a Benghazi non-scandal.

How damaging is this to her presidential aspirations?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    I really have a hard time seeing them or the news take a real scandal seriously.

• Options

How damaging is this to her presidential aspirations?

It honestly depends on if she gets formally charged with anything.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm guessing Felony-level. Not that it'll ever go that far, just... yeah. It's probably a felony.

What felony charge?

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    How big this is depends on if the media gets a hold of the email dump. Hilary can't survive a Sony-style extended laundry airing.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    There is absolutely no way she gets charged with anything, unless there is an email message clearly and explicitly stating an intention to avoid records laws. I mean, this is absolutely bad and it damages her, but she is not the first to do this.

Also, the media is going to be too excited to talk about Israel and so on, so by the time they cover this, it will sound like another Hillary witch hunt by the Right, because they've cried wolf so many fucking times.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    A big deal ethically, but not actually a big deal politically. Because our system is pretty stupid, you guys.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I read that Obama signed the law extending the Federal Records Act from 1950 to electronic communication (H.R. 1233) in late 2014, two years after Clinton stepped down. What other law or statutory change happened before that?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    You know the committee that was investigating the Benghazi thing.

They're the people that found out about this.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    You know the committee that was investigating the Benghazi thing.

They're the people that found out about this.

Well I'm confident that won't lead to Benghazi folks being insufferable about this.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They have been investigating bengazi for like, two years, and released a report showing that the administration did nothing wrong. Why is this only coming out now?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    How will this ruin her chances exactly? Don't get me wrong, it was a very stupid thing to do. I just don't see how this going to be campaign stopper. Republicans will go after her with a vengeance no matter what so I don't see how things have actually changed.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/politics/hillary-clinton-2016-emails-secretary-of-state/index.html
    Using personal email as a sole method of communication appears to break rules outlined by the National Archives and Records Administration. The government agency stipulates that personal email can only be used in "emergency situations," and when used, the emails "are captured and managed in accordance with agency record-keeping practices."

According to the Times report, Clinton's "aides took no actions to have her personal emails preserved on department servers at the time."

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I honestly don't see anything happening here. It's Obama's justice department, and if the Republicans make more than the standard talk show circuit complaining over it then there are about a half dozen republican Governors that they will have to slam dunk too.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/politics/hillary-clinton-2016-emails-secretary-of-state/index.html
    Using personal email as a sole method of communication appears to break rules outlined by the National Archives and Records Administration. The government agency stipulates that personal email can only be used in "emergency situations," and when used, the emails "are captured and managed in accordance with agency record-keeping practices."

According to the Times report, Clinton's "aides took no actions to have her personal emails preserved on department servers at the time."

The other side of this is that anyone who would be emailing her for official business would have to have her personal email address, which makes me wonder how she was never called on it in all that time. At least if her work email was forwarded to her personal, we'd have a significant portion to work with, and she can claim she didn't realize that her replies didn't travel back the same way.

As a narrative, "acts like she's above the law, and no one could set her straight" feels more damaging than "didn't use her work email".

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah if those emails of hers weren't saved somewhere on a government server then that's a felony. Nevermind the potential security risks involved with her using a personal email.

This could be extremely damaging especially if she flubs the damage control and lets it get out of hand.