As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gotham] Gotham's brain is a bag full of cats

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Pretty good episode, minus the couple of minutes with Barbara. Actually managed to wrap up some story lines, while moving others along.
    I couldn't wait for Penguin to find out what happened to his father. It was glorious, and I'm happy they didn't drag it out any longer.
    Penguin
    I think killing and cooking the two step-siblings was a bit far, though.

Not for Gotham.
    Maybe don't antagonize the known killer you've let stay in your house.
    I have a feeling that Strange programmed that into him. Like from the outside, you seem nice but on the inside you're a psychopath. Even through old Penguin was ruthless, he wasn't cook people and feed them to their mother crazy.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Pretty good episode, minus the couple of minutes with Barbara. Actually managed to wrap up some story lines, while moving others along.
    I couldn't wait for Penguin to find out what happened to his father. It was glorious, and I'm happy they didn't drag it out any longer.
    Penguin
    I think killing and cooking the two step-siblings was a bit far, though.

Unrelated, Selina's really starting to grow on me. Bruce still isn't.

Penguin
    I had totally assumed that he was just going to poison them with the roast.

When the actual reveal happened I just let out a completely shocked "HOLY SHIT!"

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    My feeling was Strange's programming...
    just added a candy coating of "pathetic wimp." The real Penguin was seething underneath the surface the whole time, and it took his father being murdered to break it.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    My feeling was Strange's programming...
    just added a candy coating of "pathetic wimp." The real Penguin was seething underneath the surface the whole time, and it took his father being murdered to break it.
    Eh.
    I'd imagine that if the step-family had decided not to belittle and abuse him, and had in fact tolerated him (or better), we wouldn't have seen this particular twist.

sig.gif
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Here's a bright idea re: Freeze, Gordon..
    Why don't you shoot the guy in the power armor but no helmet in the head! Gordon had a shotgun for fucks sake, it should have been impossible to NOT hit him there! I get that he doesn't want to just kill the dude, but c'mon he's going to murder you! UGH

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Why don't you shoot the guy in the power armor but no helmet in the head! Gordon had a shotgun for fucks sake, it should have been impossible to NOT hit him there! I get that he doesn't want to just kill the dude, but c'mon he's going to murder you! UGH

Can't do that. It's an 8 PM show.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The show has pulled off some pretty grotesque stuff considering the time slot, such as the high heel in the throat.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    NSFW
    https://youtu.be/fSSP8iGR9CE?t=1m38s

• Options
    Yeah, they cut Butch's hand off and we've talked about feeding people to their mothers. At this point, head shots would be tame as fuck as long as it wasn't cartoony explode-da-head kind of headshot.

• Options
    I don't actually expect them to blow Fries' head off, but why can't they give him a clear fishbowl helmet or something and we just assume it's bulletproof? The shotgun body shots just really really bother me given the stakes of that scene.

• Options
    Should we be suprised that Barbara
    went back to what's-her-face instead of Montoya? I mean, I want to be, but since she's trying to be good, at least maybe go to the ex that isn't a serial murderer.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, they cut Butch's hand off and we've talked about feeding people to their mothers. At this point, head shots would be tame as fuck as long as it wasn't cartoony explode-da-head kind of headshot.

Cartoony exploding heads would be a perfect match for Gotham. Maybe even drop a few anvils.

Last episode was batshit crazy. It's like someone's RPG campaign has gone gloriously off-the-rails, and the DM is just making stuff up at the table.

"Uuuh, there's a Raptor-Girl and she... attacks! Roll for initiative!"

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Once again, Gotham's stupidity rays make everyone take leave of their senses.
    Raptor Girl's death made no sense.

Seriously, you can just run. You have time for a meaningful conversation and a hug, you have time to fucking run away! Fries is literally wearing a freezer, there's no way he's running super fast to catch you.

Then she just runs out there and lets herself get frozen and shattered. And then it turns out that Lucius Fox had the intel anyway, so her death didn't even create any drama beyond Bruce wanting Strange to pay for his crimes. HE ALREADY WANTED TO DO THAT.

Bruce's plot in this episode was completely pointless. Had he just let the adults do their jobs, Raptor Girl would still be alive and they'd still have the information they needed to go after Strange. You could say that it was character building for Bruce, but nothing happened to make him change his course or give him new insights, really.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Cartoony exploding heads would be a perfect match for Gotham. Maybe even drop a few anvils.

Last episode was batshit crazy. It's like someone's RPG campaign has gone gloriously off-the-rails, and the DM is just making stuff up at the table.

What? I guess I missed some weird shit when I stopped watching this show.

• Options

What? I guess I missed some weird shit when I stopped watching this show.

You might say that. I think the writers have just said, "Fuck it, let's see what WB will let us get away with."

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Gordon as Robo-Bat.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    I am really enjoying Hugo Strange though.

• Options
    I am really enjoying Hugo Strange though.

Until he brings back a certain someone...

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    You could practically see the gears turning when Bruce watched Azrael escaping. Kind of surprised that the crew didn't go for the "Bruce's shadow is the Bat-cowl" in those shots.

sig.gif
  • Options
    What the fuck was that?
    I actually enjoyed that episode.

Well, until Barnes got Azrael'd. Let me guess, he's going to survive just long enough to forgive Gordon and name him as his successor, despite Barnes being 100% right and Gordon being a walking catastrofuck.

Fuck Gotham.

• Options
    What the fuck was that?

Well, until Barnes got Azrael'd. Let me guess, he's going to survive just long enough to forgive Gordon and name him as his successor, despite Barnes being 100% right and Gordon being a walking catastrofuck.

Fuck Gotham.
    You can't kill The Commish.

sig.gif
  • Options
    What the fuck was that?

Fuck Gotham.
    You can't kill The Commish.
    You can, however, stick him in a back room doing paperwork for the rest of his life.

• Options
    Say, Jim, the next time you're in a hurry and stuck in traffic, maybe try turning on the lights and siren of your goddamn stolen police car.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Finally watched last weeks episode.

So they are intent to take the individuality out of every Batman villain with this show. Strange is literally creating all of them, including implanting in their minds their particular shtick. Azrael, Firefly, Mr. Freeze, Mad Hatter, and I'm sure Joker all created in a lab.

Yikes.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Gotham's plan with Prof. Strange is what the Amazing Spider-Man movies were trying to do with Oscorp.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Gotham's plan with Prof. Strange is what the Amazing Spider-Man movies were trying to do with Oscorp.

Amazing should have tapped BD Wong, because I'm enjoying the hell out of this as of that first Azrael episode.

I know what he needs!

Thorazine?

No, an IDENTITY!!

*later*

BEHOLD!!

I'm still partial to the Thorazine.

• Options
    Strange is such a smug bastard. Jim and Harvey should have torn his office apart just on principle.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    I will say that I am quite enjoying BD Wong as Strange. He just seems to be enjoying hamming it up.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I do like the Penguin just showing up at the exact right place and time, with just the right tools for the job though.
    Sure, that was about as Deus Ex Machina as I've seen in a while, but still, a delightful use of a bazooka.
    Also, Alfred's confused half wave at the end.

Even Bruce isn't getting on my nerves as much anymore. I'm not sure if the show is getting better, or if I'm just getting numb to terrible TV.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I do like the Penguin just showing up at the exact right place and time, with just the right tools for the job though.
    Sure, that was about as Deus Ex Machina as I've seen in a while, but still, a delightful use of a bazooka.
    Also, Alfred's confused half wave at the end.

Even Bruce isn't getting on my nerves as much anymore. I'm not sure if the show is getting better, or if I'm just getting numb to terrible TV.

I pretty sure that:
    Butch has someone watching Gordon. Because that one man is dangerous and I'd like to be able to know what he is up to at all times when ever I ask. In case I'm planning on smuggling drugs and weapons through a part of a city he might just be having cafe at. But like you said, having a bazooka to kill pre-Batman is too amazing to even what to pick it apart.

• Options
    I am quite glad that
    Butch got the Azrael kill. I actually care about his happiness, unlike pretty much anyone else in the show. The other alternative was Bullock, but it was unlikely that he'd get his hands on a bazooka.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    You would think BD Wong would've learned by now that splicing DNA is never a good idea. Doesn't matter if it's dinosaurs or psychopaths.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    So you know:
    The ending of the season finale will have Gordon locked up somewhere and ClayGordon back on the force. So all of next season will be ClayGordon almost getting caught but not quite and Gordon almost escaping but not quite.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    So you know:
    The ending of the season finale will have Gordon locked up somewhere and ClayGordon back on the force. So all of next season will be ClayGordon almost getting caught but not quite and Gordon almost escaping but not quite.

Naw, you're forgetting this is Gotham, which slow burns about as much as a dumpster full of napalm on fire. They'll burn through that in one episode, two tops.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    lol, isn't that the case. Gotham isn't one to let an idea work with a long term goal in mind.

The only really successful long arch that worked out well was the rise of Penguin last season. It's still amazing how well done that plot was when the rest of the season was pure dumpster garbage.

This season doesn't even have Penguin's plot to fall back on because his story has been kinda crap too.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I figured that Strange was going to be a bit of a slow burn, except now he's creating almost every single member of Batman's Rogues gallery and possibly Batman himself at this point. He has done way too much way too quickly, and this is just weird.

Also, hello Court of Owls.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I find it interesting ("may you live in interesting times...") that the philosophical question of Batman creating his own rogues is completely moot now. Gotham goes bonkers well before there ever was a Batman.

As much as I malign Gotham, they do seem to have stumbled into a less explored concept.

• Options
    Oh boy.
    Fish Mooney.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Oh boy.
    Cuttle-Fish Mooney.
    Really not sure how splicing in cuttlefish DNA gives her mind control powers.
    But that's hardly the dumbest thing this show has asked me to suspend disbelief on, so I'll go with it.

But damn do I want a grilled cheese sammich right about now.

• Options
    Between Jessica Jones, Agents of SHIELD, and now Gotham...
    mind control is getting old.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Between Jessica Jones, Agents of SHIELD, and now Gotham...
    mind control is getting old.

That's exactly what they want you to think.