As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread from last year....

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    dat Rail Gun Bow

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    dat Rail Gun Bow

Where does the Rail gun bow drop? Or is it a poetics purchase?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Delzhand wrote: »
    32 BRD. And I should get my Bomb Palanquin tonight! /excited

Grinding a second 50 seems horribad though... Any tips?

The way I did it with PLD was to just take my time. Do your low-level roulette every day, maybe knock out a leve or 5, and just don't sweat it. Unless you want to get to 50, like right now, just keep in mind that you'll (hopefully) play this game for a long time, so unless you're leveling a class to fill a role for a static, getting it to 50 today just means that you'll feel the urge to start the next class that much sooner.

I honestly think it just comes down to what you want to do in the game. My motivation to level BLM was me not being happy with SCH as my main. Leveling BLM was arduous, if not flat-out boring, so I wanted to power through it hard, and it ended up being the absolute right choice for me. I wanted to level Ninja super fast for a very different reason: it's the only class that, on day one, NO ONE knew how to play. If I'm level 50 by this weekend, I'll be part of the wave that really figured the class out and I'll get to participate in the theory crafting for the class from the very beginning, an opportunity not afforded to me earlier, since I started right when 2.3 hit. The reason I'm almost begging for help hitting 50 is because theory crafting is something I'm passionate about and I can't do that on the new class if I don't have access to the whole toolkit.

Picking how you level is just like picking what class to play; no one can tell you which one is the best, only which is the best for them. Delphi had a reason to want a 50 Ninja by tonight; he's the ninja in his static, they have plans tonight. I have a reason to want a 50 Ninja by this weekend; I'll get to play with it before the community really has the class figured out. If you don't care about those things, then don't bother leveling like you do.

Chubby Bunny on
    Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Back to streaming Ninja! Lvl 43 (almost 44!) then it's he home stretch!

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options

@Delphinidaes‌ can you share how you got from 38 to 44 efficiently (since we have the same challenge log completion, etc.)?

• Options
    edited October 2014

@Delphinidaes‌ can you share how you got from 38 to 44 efficiently (since we have the same challenge log completion, etc.)?

Dungeon at 38, then did hunting log at 40, then did FATEs until 41, then dungeon again for the chain bonuses, then finished out guildhests and used battleleves to get to 44.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    dat Rail Gun Bow

Where does the Rail gun bow drop? Or is it a poetics purchase?

Poetics purchase. And gods damn, I want it. 9loHaAK.png

• Options

Dungeon at 38, then did hunting log at 40, then did FATEs until 41, then dungeon again for the chain bonuses, then finished out guildhests and used battleleves to get to 44.

Wow, leves from 42-44 was faster than dungeons, you think? Thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't have guessed that. Aiming for 50 this weekend!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I hope theres a point before the expansion where poetics becomes the easy to get set because I really want all my jobs to go into 3.0 like allagan robot power ranger ninjas!

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I hope theres a point before the expansion where poetics becomes the easy to get set because I really want all my jobs to go into 3.0 like allagan robot power ranger ninjas!

They probably will in the future get easier like the soldiery stuff has gotten easier, but that's going to be a while, and for the nonce I want that shit in my life right meow.

488W936.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So I signed my girlfriend up for recruit a friend when we resigned up. This way in 3 months I'm the one driving the double chocobo.
    Since I'm the navigator and she usually just puts me on follow anyway.

The other way would be unfortunate because I'm not very good at giving verbal directions.

"No go the other way. No the other other way."
    "I went that way already!"
    "Look just turn right. No stop. No you turned too far. Turn back.
    "Why don't you drive"
    "I can't"

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I like how all the ironworks weapons transform when you draw them

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Damn, I'm guessing you have to run the coils for that encrypted tomestone, eh?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    And that's lvl 50 Ninja!

FlOexxZ.jpg
    H2zUzSr.jpg

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RieRie Registered User regular
    Delphi looks AWESOME!!

FF14 - Rie Himawari (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    Huzzah!

DNSwaIE.png

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Level 16 Rogue today.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Heh in talking with some others and according to a reddit post showing the first, I may have actually been the Second ninja on our server with a time of 5pm PDT :D

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Goddamn, Delphi.

And here I am with only two jobs maxed and just starting to do the Bravura questline for my DRG...

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    So has anyone found out the names of the new craftable gear? I was wondering what that long coat is called, just to see how it looks.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    That would be the Bard coat. I forget the name, K something.

Arachne and Wootz are the main names for the gear along with the K name for the new crafted gear; you can preview it all in the market board tabs for each class clothes.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Seeing all the new content and gear makes me eager to raid in a way that I haven't been for a long time. I really do think I could see myself playing FF14 for years to come if they keep giving us the goods and this level of lore quality and raid progression.

I'm making it a personal goal to get Coil 2 down and see at least first part of Coil 3 before the next big patch update. Gonna just start gearing my 5 50 classes and getting all the atmas and poetics and learning fights. That will be my focus going forward.

488W936.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I think this is it but I haven't seen a screenshot so I'm not 100% sure.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm kinda casually levelling ROG/NIN at this point. I think I'm level 28 or 29 right now. I figure if I do maybe three levels a day, I'll be good. At that rate I should have enough soldiery and seals to finish off my 110 outfit for the job when I hit 50. My main goal is finishing Turn 9 (this week sometime) and Shiva EX (Thursday probably) and then gearing up for Final Coil of Bahamut as a Paladin.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Im trying to get my girlfriend acquainted with ff14 by way of making a character on my account and playing it for her when the boring bits come up (she has zero patience for text and FedEx quests). We are starting out as ARC because that's easy, but I was wondering if ROG/NIN is newbie friendly?

For reference: she has played LoL, civ5, some RTSs and dicked around in GW2. Her main annoyances are unintuitive controls (wasd+mouse for movement on top of all those piles of skills) along with the sense that everyone moves faster than her.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Seeing all the new content and gear makes me eager to raid in a way that I haven't been for a long time. I really do think I could see myself playing FF14 for years to come if they keep giving us the goods and this level of lore quality and raid progression.

I'm making it a personal goal to get Coil 2 down and see at least first part of Coil 3 before the next big patch update.

@Corehealer‌ I agree wholeheartedly. Cainys, Calihye, and I are all friends in real life and started playing right as 2.3 hit, so we didn't really have a feel of how it changed the game. 2.4 showed us that this is one of those games that might ebb and flow a little in terms of interest, but will always be good enough to call our home, MMO-wise.

Our goal in Pantry Raiders is to clear a relevant portion of TCoB before 2.5. Given how fast the world first clears happened, I think getting to at least T11 is the actual goal. Also, having Shiva EX on farm by then is the secondary goal. So you're in the right party!

My ninja is a hair under 42. Gonna try to hit 45 tonight and then get some serious DD speed runs going. Based on the duty finder yesterday, I was still one of the top level ninjas, only one other ninja was in Cutters Cry with me and I ran it like 6 times. :)

Chubby Bunny on

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Im trying to get my girlfriend acquainted with ff14 by way of making a character on my account and playing it for her when the boring bits come up (she has zero patience for text and FedEx quests). We are starting out as ARC because that's easy, but I was wondering if ROG/NIN is newbie friendly?

For reference: she has played LoL, civ5, some RTSs and dicked around in GW2. Her main annoyances are unintuitive controls (wasd+mouse for movement on top of all those piles of skills) along with the sense that everyone moves faster than her.

Get her a gamepad - that'll solve the movement issue.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    @Delzhand‌ how're you liking the lala? I went to bed right after I did it on Tuesday night with a pretty big "meh" feeling. After playing last night and running through the entire emote table, I'm surprised at how much I love it. Thoughts, since you've been a majority of the races now?

@Delphinidaes‌ is Ninjitsu magic damage like the graphics suggest, or all a part of slashing damage?

@ Everyone else - I found a video that *very accurately* summarizes what being a lala is like. I suggest cranking the volume up:

Chubby Bunny on

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

Get her a gamepad - that'll solve the movement issue.

This. Hook up a 360 controller and you are good to go.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So I played a fair amount when 2.3 released, took my WHM from like i40 something to i72 by running a lot of dungeons for myth tomes and buying i90 gear, as well as doing my relic weapon. At the time, I remember everyone raving about hunts being the easiest way to gear up because you could buy a piece of i90 gear for like 40 seals. I felt at the time that it seemed overly easy compared to what I was doing, but didn't feel any particular compulsion to just grind seals vs. what I was doing.

That said, I've recently come back to the game and have been leveling my Dragoon. I'd been doing some very light hunts farming while waiting on DF queues with the idea that I'd pick up a few pieces of i90 gear when I hit 50. I checked out the vendor last night and found that all of the 40 seal i90 gear had been replaced with 400 seal i100 gear. Which feels like a pretty steep rate hike, but whatever - it was clearly too easy to get this gear before (in terms of time investment vs. grinding myth) and they rectified it.

I mentioned this last night and people said to just "run the new dungeons" to get that gear, but that's not really an option for me right now due to not having a job that can actually do that. What's the intended gear progression now? When my Dragoon hits 50, should I just plan to run the same progression as I did on my WHM? Starting with the lowest 50 dungeons and grinding tomes? When's a viable ilvl to get into CT or ST?

To clarify - I'm not looking for "top tier gear to be handed to me," as someone suggested last night. I'd just like to make sure I'm using my limited playtime efficiently.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah. :( il90 myth gear drops as tokens now in the new 2.4 dungeons.

Ima take a shot in the dark and say when your DRG hits 50...
    -Run dungeons (The Wanderer's Palace, Amdapor Keep, Copperbell Mines (Hard) (iLvl 48) Haukke Manor (Hard) (iLvl 48), Pharos Sirius (iLvl 48)) to get il50 avg to do Labyrinth of the Ancients(Crystal Tower) which drops il80 gear.

-Keep running endgame dungeons (Halatali (Hard) (iLvl 55), Brayflox's Longstop (Hard) (iLvl 55) The Lost City of Amdapor (iLvl 55)) to get il70 avg so you can get in Syrcus Tower which drops il100 gear.

-Do more dungeons (Tam-Tara Deepcroft (Hard)(iLvl 70), Stone Vigil (Hard)(iLvl 70), Hullbreaker Isle(iLvl 70). Unlocking the High level DF.

-All in the meanwhile doing your DF dailies, getting Soldiery tombs to buy some weathered il100 gear from the vendor and the same gear with your allied seals.

-Eventually you'll be high enough to take on the three new dungeons in 2.4 (il80 avg) and collecting Tombs of Poetics for some swanky il120 gear.

OH and the Relic questline for an easy il90 pokey stick.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »

/kicks self for not buying them with seals for pennies

• Options
    secretexhibitionsecretexhibition Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I mentioned this last night and people said to just "run the new dungeons" to get that gear, but that's not really an option for me right now due to not having a job that can actually do that. What's the intended gear progression now? When my Dragoon hits 50, should I just plan to run the same progression as I did on my WHM? Starting with the lowest 50 dungeons and grinding tomes? When's a viable ilvl to get into CT or ST?

You can pretty much start CT whenever I think (minimum ilvl 50 -- opened via a quest line), and then once you get that done spam ST (minimum ilvl 70). That would probably be the best way for you to play 'catch up' with the removal of the i90 gear from Hunts. CT rewards i80, ST rewards i100.
    To clarify - I'm not looking for "top tier gear to be handed to me," as someone suggested last night. I'd just like to make sure I'm using my limited playtime efficiently.

Bleh, people like to get on soapboxes. Don't worry about it.

secretexhibition on
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »

/kicks self for not buying them with seals for pennies

Yeah. It sucks that everyone needs on em as well. I just need two sets for my future Summoner and Bard. :(

• Options
    Oh also @Grundlestiltskin , assuming you're in Ghost, I'd be happy to craft you a few ilvl 70 pieces to get you to i50/i70 quicker. I can craft Ring, Neck, Wrist really easily now.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    @Delzhand‌ how're you liking the lala? I went to bed right after I did it on Tuesday night with a pretty big "meh" feeling. After playing last night and running through the entire emote table, I'm surprised at how much I love it. Thoughts, since you've been a majority of the races now?

I actually didn't do much as a lala. I used the fantasia, logged in to show off to Rie, and then went to bed. Honestly, it doesn't seem that different. I'm shorter and I have a different character model. I don't have as much use for my "sexy" glamours. My cowl glamour makes me look totally gender neutral.

The only race I haven't been yet is Elezen, and I probably won't. Their proportions are just too weird for me. Depending on armor, sometimes males can look alright, but the super broad shoulders and long arms just look off on females.

I've given each race about a month. So far mi'qote is my favorite, but if I fantasia back I probably won't stick with the blue skin. Blue skin kinda limits your hair colors to the darker spectrum. In any case, we'll see how I feel after being a lala for a while.

• Options
    Choose Lala specifically for DRG.

Because a little guy jumping so high is hilarious to me.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Oh also @Grundlestiltskin , assuming you're in Ghost, I'd be happy to craft you a few ilvl 70 pieces to get you to i50/i70 quicker. I can craft Ring, Neck, Wrist really easily now.

@secretexhibition‌ I am, Wonder Boy is my in-game character. I probably won't hit 50 on my DRG until next weekend when I have some more free time, so there's no rush. That said, if you let me know what mats I'd need for the pieces you have in mind I can start collecting them. I appreciate the help :)

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited October 2014

@secretexhibition‌ I am, Wonder Boy is my in-game character. I probably won't hit 50 on my DRG until next weekend when I have some more free time, so there's no rush. That said, if you let me know what mats I'd need for the pieces you have in mind I can start collecting them. I appreciate the help :)

@Grundlestiltskin Excellent name! Don't worry about the mats, I have them laying around as basically free 'extras' I've gotten from doing things that's made me money lately. I just made you 2 Rings, Neck, Wrist (all Gryphonskin i70). They may not be the single best thing for your class or anything, but they should help you hit those minimum ilvls quicker! Be prepared for a long-ish initial queue on Crystal Tower when you get to it, btw. =P

Aldrage Valeriant is my in-game name. Will keep an eye out for you.

secretexhibition on
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I actually didn't do much as a lala. I used the fantasia, logged in to show off to Rie, and then went to bed. Honestly, it doesn't seem that different. I'm shorter and I have a different character model. I don't have as much use for my "sexy" glamours. My cowl glamour makes me look totally gender neutral.

The only race I haven't been yet is Elezen, and I probably won't. Their proportions are just too weird for me. Depending on armor, sometimes males can look alright, but the super broad shoulders and long arms just look off on females.

I've given each race about a month. So far mi'qote is my favorite, but if I fantasia back I probably won't stick with the blue skin. Blue skin kinda limits your hair colors to the darker spectrum. In any case, we'll see how I feel after being a lala for a while.

Hm, interesting. Yeah, I switched from the tallest male Roe to the tallest male Lala and it was quite a difference for me. I agree; the glamours that worked well before don't work *AS* well on lala, but some glamours that looked totally stupid on the Roe look great now. There's also something super funny about the /happy emote, followed immediately by Flare or Assassinate.

Chubby Bunny on

This discussion has been closed.