As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MLB]Slow and the Serious: Tokyo Draft

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    It rained like a motherfucker at Cal's last game in Yankee Stadium and they played through it. That game lasted something like 13 innings and I was so drenched (and hammered) by the end that I was cursing at him like a sailor every time he came up to bat.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    It's currently raining a lot here, part of that big Northeast Storm this week. Set to be in NY...tomorrow night.

People paid over $250 for the last home game of a player, and the game's very likely going to be rained out at some point.

Lol if you don't think the umps will make every effort to get that game in. Its September, so its too late to make up games anyway, and one of the teams is a playoff team and seeding is still a thing.

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    if you accept that Derek Jeter is a terrible defensive shortstop then you are left only to judge him against other hitters on the whole, which is exactly what Olbermann did

What position would Jeter play if he wasn't coddled. Right field? 2nd base? 3rd?

There's all manner of defensive voids who if they were stuck out at shortstop would be "the best offensive shortstop"

Adam Dunn would be the best shortstop

Sweet baby jesus THANK YOU!

Look, Jeter is a great player, a great Yankee. But he is also the product of the people placed around him. Put Jeter on the Orioles and Ripken on the Yankees for their careers - well shit put Ripken on the Yankees for Jeter's career (everything else being equal) and we might be having the serious conversation that Ripken is among the greatest players to ever play the game - ever.

Jeter on the Orioles for his career, well he would have been moved off shortstop forever ago and probably traded.

Jeter is a great player that received the unimaginable benefits of playing on some of the most dominant teams that recent baseball history has seen. A juggernaut of an organization that completely reinvented the geopolitics of the game. And Jeter we the centerpiece of that, the sun around which the travelling collection of all-stars orbited.

Also, can we stop giving him credit for "diving" into the stands on a foul ball against the Sox. Come the fuck on, he did not dive into the stands, he flew into the stands by accident because he wasn't paying attention to where he was going.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    He's better than Cal

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I mean, he was no Nomar.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    It's currently raining a lot here, part of that big Northeast Storm this week. Set to be in NY...tomorrow night.

People paid over $250 for the last home game of a player, and the game's very likely going to be rained out at some point.

And there is no way that Buck or the Orioles will want to make that game up, it is a meaningless game to them and they will not want to risk any sort of fluke injury to anyone on the eve of the postseason.

Shit, the starters wouldn't even be in New York.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »

Lol if you don't think the umps will make every effort to get that game in. Its September, so its too late to make up games anyway, and one of the teams is a playoff team and seeding is still a thing.

The Orioles already have the 2 seed locked up, and their chase for the 1 is essentially over.

That last game against New York is the definition of meaningless to everyone not named Derek Jeter.

• Options
    The MLB is not allowing Baltimore to get out of that game, no matter what.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Come on KC, do me a favor and lose tonight

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    FortyTwo wrote: »

The Orioles already have the 2 seed locked up, and their chase for the 1 is essentially over.

That last game against New York is the definition of meaningless to everyone not named Derek Jeter.

MLB doesn't do "essentially over"

• Options
    FortyTwo wrote: »

MLB doesn't do "essentially over"

I know, but it could be over by Saturday.

The Orioles are currently 2.5 games behind the Angels for number 1, that will likely be resolved before the weekend is out. Thus making that makeup game absolutely useless if it were to be called.

Now the Orioles could sweep Toronto, and the Angels could get swept by Seattle meaning the seeding will matter.

The more likely solution is that they sit in delay forever and get the game in. But if it does get postponed, and their is no playoff implication in a makeup I would expect the Orioles to be mighty pissed to be forced to travel back to New York so Jeter can essentially play in a simulated game, because no Baltimore starter would be within 10 mile of Yankee stadium.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Wait, Ripken isn't one of the greatest to play the game?

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    He's a shitty third baseman

• Options
    Wait, Ripken isn't one of the greatest to play the game?

Well, he IS in my opinion, but he never consistently put up completely insane offensive numbers. Ripken's game was all about consistency and what not and just being really damn good at virtually all facets of the game. The preparation, the study.

If Ripken had Jeter's hardware I mean he would be in like Ruthian company.

• Options
    What

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    nope dot avi

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Mike Trout is the greatest shortstop in history.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    What

I contend that is Ripken had Jeter-level world series championships/ his stats in the playoffs, Ripken would be on the shortest of lists when it comes to greatest of all time.

That has always been the thing that Cal lacked in his overall resume, he has one ring the he got early in his career. He doesn't have a lot of playoff experience, he played on some really REALLY bad Orioles teams.

Cal is already among the elite in the history of the game, but give him that type of postseason resume and where would that put him?

That is all I am saying.

• Options
    That's as bad as me saying Jeter is better than Cal

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Let's go the other way. Take away the ironman and where is he?

He never hit for great average, never had great obp, wasn't a great base runner.

He might as well have been on another planet defensively compared to jeter, but no one gets in to the hof because they were great defensively.

• Options
    Olbermann delivers again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xafiSZO_r2g

if he keeps this up I'm going to have to set my DVR

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Angry wrote: »
    Let's go the other way. Take away the ironman and where is he?

He never hit for great average, never had great obp, wasn't a great base runner.

He might as well have been on another planet defensively compared to jeter, but no one gets in to the hof because they were great defensively.

It depends on how much of the Ironman are you taking away? Are you saying he takes like one day in the middle of the streak? He still has the best career power numbers for a SS than anyone before him. he still has two MVP awards, and a ROY. He still has a WS ring.

Ripken is the guy, that is considered by many, that redefined what a shortstop could be.

Maybe the Ironman is the thing that makes him a legend, and an all-timer, a first ballot guy, but you can make a HOF argument for Ripken without it.

Ozzie Smith is a HOF'er, and he is there almost entirely for his defense. One World Series ring, no ROY, no MVPs. edit:: He was the MVP of the '85 NLCS, but still; Ozzie had far more seasons with of sub 100 OPS+ than not.

Ripken is 37 on the all-time WAR list sandwiched between Yaz and Blyleven.

I wasn't trying to say that the only reason Jeter is a HOF'er or anything was his postseason stats, far from it. All I was saying is that a big part of Jeter's legendary nature is that he became the center of the Yankee universe, and the teams that he played on allowed him a chance to shine in the key moments. Cal never really got much of an opportunity like that. He played on some bad teams, the 94 strike robbed him of a great year (Orioles were 6.5 behind the Yanks, but in the running for the postseason that year) but largely Ripken was a great player on some pretty bad teams.

Jeter hit the lottery by being not only one of the best in the game in many respects, but he also got to be part of an organization whose approach to team building fundamentally redefined the geopolitics of the game. Sometimes you are the right man for his place and time - Jeter was that man.

I'm won't say a hero, because what's a hero?

But sometimes there's a man.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Ozzie smith is an outlier. He's the best defensive short stop, probably position player of all time.

When I say take away the ironman I mean give him say 155 games a year.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think it's just proof that circumstances lead to legend as much if not more than pure numbers.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Ozzie smith is an outlier. He's the best defensive short stop, probably position player of all time.

When I say take away the ironman I mean give him say 155 games a year.

Give hm 155 a year, and he still has all the awards I stated before and, one could argue, that he probably doesn't decline as drastically as he did toward the end there.

Ironman is what made him a legend. But he still put up numbers without it to make him a HOF'er. Think about it like this, Ripken played for one more year, but he has almost 270 more games than Jeter. Honestly, I think you could easily make the argument that his overall numbers got hurt by the Ironman thing more than anything. Now, is he a first ballot HOF'er without the ironman? Maybe not.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    Yeah that's not in contention. Ripken deserves his place in the hall.

• Options
    Jeter deserves a place in the hall. The problem is the Yankees think they are entitled to all of this special treatment for their retiring players and it's ridiculous.

This coming from a Yankees fan too.

• Options
    Mo deserved every moment of it though.

• Options
    Mo deserved every moment of it though.

Yeah, eventually there will be a prize for best closer - it will be called the Rivera Trophy

• Options
    Phil Hughes was robbed of a $500k performance bonus in his contract by a single out, due to weather in the past two weeks for his starts

Not sure if it's possible to have true sympathy for a millionaire athlete, but it would be nice of the Twins to pay the man

• Options
    Phil Hughes was robbed of a $500k performance bonus in his contract by a single out, due to weather in the past two weeks for his starts

Not sure if it's possible to have true sympathy for a millionaire athlete, but it would be nice of the Twins to pay the man

I bet he has a relief appearance at some point in the last few games.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    oh man, is it next season yet? I'm really excited for next season.

• Options

He's shut down for the year.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Baseball's best fans...

Maximum on
  • Options

He's shut down for the year.

Phil Hughes is a weirdo

tl;dr: The Twins offered. Hughes declined.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    We discusses prior to this season, but next year we really should move up the finals to the week before the end of the season. It's not as bad as doing it in a football league, but it's still rather annoying. Either move it up or have the finals be two weeks if that is an option.

And as far as keepers go, I'm not sure reducing the number from 9 to 8 is really going to matter as much as a revised system would. I know Goose had a proposal that was a bit complicated, but perhaps people would be more comfortable with just moving around the number of spots a keeper costs each year, and also eliminating the keep forever thing we have with the top six picks. For example, have rounds 2-8 all increase in cost every year, then like 9-15 be +2, and the rest +3. Or something like that, the specific rounds can be revised. Only round 1 wouldn't have an increase in cost, so you could keep one player forever if you wanted, but if say you had a round 1 and round 2 keeper you could only possibly keep one of them.

Someone may have actually proposed that at some point, but I forget if they did. I guess we can talk about more after the season is over. I was going to mention this right after we were talking about it the other day, but I kept forgetting.

• Options
    I don't think there's any problems at all with our keeper system honestly.

We have good parity.

• Options
    I don't think there's any problems at all with our keeper system honestly.

We have good parity.

My terrible team that came in third last year agrees.

• Options
    the primary goal of our system was to have our drafts really mean something and have player evaluation really mean something... meaning if you made great picks in our first draft, that could pay dividends for your team, and your core players weren't arbitrarily ripped away from you... so that you had a chance of building a team over time, and not having to hit the reset button every year or two

overall i mark that as a major success

my general criticism of our system is that our drafts have not been that interesting and I think the parity we see is primarily a result of baseball luck and the ebb and flow of kept-players, positive or negative, and not on actual team building (or team destroying)

The primary function of the draft seems to have become to just throw as many darts as possible at spring training invitationals and hope one hits

I would like to see a slightly hire amount of major league baseball talent flow back into the draft pool.

Going down to one permakeeper seems pretty extreme. But 4 or 5 instead of 6 could be nice.

if you guys are interested, we can do some league votes next week while baseball is in our minds rather than wait until March

This discussion has been closed.