As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadow of Mordor: Like Hatoful Boyfriend, but with Orcs. Bright Lord DLC out now!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So I guess there's free DLC out today that adds some fancy new runes

oh and also you can play as the Black Hand now

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    So, after 100%ing this, I grabbed a subcription to FF14. I was struck by awe with that game's opening video again. There's an insane amount of detail visually and audibly. You could probably freeze any frame, and find something beautiful, meanwhile every chirp and action has a super rich sound effect tied to it. Seriously, grab some headphones and listen to this thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h542YbZuwkQ

I want more aaa games to just completely go for it. I loved Shadow of Mordor, but nothing in that game ever got me as pumped as watching that opening 8 minute opening cinematic..
    Indies can't blow that money but man, WB can give it a shot.
    I'm hoping the sequel allows them to double their sound, and composition budget. As it was, SoM, made me smile at how clever and cheesy and nostalgic it was, but they can go harder than that. Some of the CG bits were there, but they felt short, distant, and audibly generic.
    Shit never got real, so come on WB, bring me AWE.

Alternately I'd be totally psyched if AAA games never spent another cent on video that has nothing to do with the actual video game I am going to play

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Im not seeing it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    So, after 100%ing this, I grabbed a subcription to FF14. I was struck by awe with that game's opening video again. There's an insane amount of detail visually and audibly. You could probably freeze any frame, and find something beautiful, meanwhile every chirp and action has a super rich sound effect tied to it. Seriously, grab some headphones and listen to this thing.

I want more aaa games to just completely go for it. I loved Shadow of Mordor, but nothing in that game ever got me as pumped as watching that opening 8 minute opening cinematic..
    I'm hoping the sequel allows them to double their sound, and composition budget. As it was, SoM, made me smile at how clever and cheesy and nostalgic it was, but they can go harder than that. Some of the CG bits were there, but they felt short, distant, and audibly generic.

Alternately I'd be totally psyched if AAA games never spent another cent on video that has nothing to do with the actual video game I am going to play

That would make me super bummed, but I recognize some folk don't play games from the perspective of a consumer of art.
    I think the video format itself, distracts from my call. I want them to put more production in it's music department. There were so many scenes in SOM where generic LOTR music swells and it just fell flat and artificial. Either there wasn't enough of a moment to justify the music, or it was shoehorned in by a storyboard director.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options

That would make me super bummed, but I recognize some folk don't play games from the perspective of a consumer of art.
    I think the video format itself, distracts from my call. I want them to put more production in it's music department. There were so many scenes in SOM where generic LOTR music swells and it just fell flat and artificial. Either there wasn't enough of a moment to justify the music, or it was shoehorned in by a storyboard director.

Better cutscene direction, music and sound design and all that stuff is great

A video that is not in the games engine, that is not representative of either gameplay and that doesn't fit into the normal narrative of the game?

I could not possibly be less interested

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I love those videos for their artistic chops. It's hard to see as many ideas in so short a time and those videos are a great format to see designs from a game I like in action.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Im not seeing it

Found it on their site

http://shadowofmordor.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:MonolithAndy/Return_to_Mordor_More_Powerful_Than_Ever
    Today, we’re proud to announce the brand new FREE Power of Shadow DLC pack, including the playable Black Hand of Sauron skin, and three new Runes:

One with Nature – Immunity to Poison attacks from Uruk Captains or Ghuls.
    Ascendant – Double Focus Time for slow motion Ranged combat.
    Elven Grace – Increased defense which halves the damage of enemy strikes.

Prepare to put these to use in this weekend’s Test of Wisdom Challenge.

Download the Power of Shadow today for Xbox One, and soon for PlayStation 4 and Steam!

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'd (will) kill for that immunity to poison.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've only had like 6 hours to play this game since I got it a couple weeks go, but I've been enjoying the shit out of it.

This article on Polygon, for those that haven't read it, was pretty enlightening and makes me more intrigued by the backstory and lore they drew on for the game. I assumed it was invented whole-cloth for the game, but it's nice to see they actually did their homework and found some pretty interesting ideas to work with. I've heard a lot of grumbling about how they deliver on it, but it's been alright so far (I'm suuuuper early in the story).

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014

Better cutscene direction, music and sound design and all that stuff is great

A video that is not in the games engine, that is not representative of either gameplay and that doesn't fit into the normal narrative of the game?

I could not possibly be less interested

Bullocks to that. You wanna put a short film in your videogame? Go for it.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That kind of thing can be hit or miss for me but damn sure I love those Assassin's Creed cinematic trailers

• Options
    Like, there are plenty of godawful cinematics in video games, and there are definitely a bunch of games that could have skimped on the videos to shore up the rest of their game, but as a hard/fast rule?

Go nuts, man.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I like CG trailers just fine on their own, but please don't announce your game with just that

If you do, fuck you

Don't get me all interested in your game by way of this fancy trailer and then not show me what the actual game looks like

• Options
    I think even for an announcement it's fine, but the very next thing better be gameplay

• Options
    Or at least in-engine

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    That kind of thing can be hit or miss for me but damn sure I love those Assassin's Creed cinematic trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMsbMK9Odoc

This trailer was the best part of AC Revelations

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I just

I don't care about cg in games

It doesn't matter

If it somehow affect the game I'm playing them cool but I don't know how they'd do that

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Now I have to watch all of the Assassin's Creed trailers again.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Massive beautiful CG trailer

8-bit block graphic game

• Options
    I just

It doesn't matter

If it somehow affect the game I'm playing them cool but I don't know how they'd do that

I mean I'm just talking about it being used in trailers
    how many games just switch to CG mid-game?

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Massive beautiful CG trailer

8-bit block graphic game

You best not be dissing Minecraft.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    You know I'm not! But yeah games do that all the time. Another big offender is games with cinematic trailers and then it's just like, 1996 level isometric view graphics.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    straight up, the cg cinematic for Dawn of War was half the reason I bought the game

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    I just

It doesn't matter

A bunch

a lot of games still use it for like the big story beats

• Options
    I like CG trailers just fine on their own, but please don't announce your game with just that

If you do, fuck you

Don't get me all interested in your game by way of this fancy trailer and then not show me what the actual game looks like

Oh, yeah, totally. Cinematics are icing, not a proper, well balanced meal.

• Options
    I just

It doesn't matter

Okay.

Me, I like pretty moving pictures and accompanying sounds.

So if you wanna put those things in your video game

I mean, yeah, okay. Do it, man.

• Options
    I just

It doesn't matter

A bunch

For a good reason:

most people fucking love that shit.

"I just beat the boss. Time to take a breather and watch some cool shit."

It is a well-worn but very effective cap on a gameplay cycle.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQc7o2rm7po

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F78Dhi3V40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fycZ8EOPKsc

Wouldn't have been nearly as effective using in-engine graphics

In the case of that second one, probably not even possible

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    straight up, the cg cinematic for Dawn of War was half the reason I bought the game

All the Dawn of War cinematics are fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rApDcMcqX4w

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I just

It doesn't matter

A bunch

For a good reason:

most people fucking love that shit.

"I just beat the boss. Time to take a breather and watch some cool shit."

It is a well-worn but very effective cap on a gameplay cycle.
    Yeah it's either that or in game cutscenes.

I'm ok with either.

CG usually looks better though so I prefer that.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

If you do, fuck you

this is why i like platinum games

the cg trailer does look like what the game looks like

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I find Blizzard games find a great balance with gorgeous CG cutscenes/great gameplay, even if it totally has nothing to do with the gameplay graphics.

• Options
    The cut scenes in Diablo 2 were amazing and added a ton of storytelling and detail to the world they could not have done in-game.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I find Blizzard games find a great balance with gorgeous CG cutscenes/great gameplay, even if it totally has nothing to do with the gameplay graphics.
    There was a big push with StarCraft II to try and make the in-engine cut-scenes as good as the pre-rendered shit, and they ended up with the really neat half-way case of putting all the inter-mission stuff in-engine with a lot of highly detailed game units and a lot of smoke and mirrors. It's not "zoom in to Jim Raynor on the battle field and you can see the tracks of his tears over Kerrigan" exactly, but it's pretty neat tech all the same.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The cinematic trailer for Assassins Creed Brotherhood was completely representative of the actual gameplay experience, and is one of the best CG trailers I think i've ever seen.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    So I just got the Brand ability.

Oh yes this will do nicely.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    I really, really miss the "call assassins" button

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Ughhhhhhhhhh, bought this before I realized the video card on my 4-year-old gaming laptop won't do DX11.

Ughhhhhhhhhhh.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Okay I swear I have executed flaming Berserkers at least 4 times and it still hasn't given me the Trophy

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    That was an annoying one to get, but I still have to get a level 25 rune before I can platinum this game

It's gonna be a huge hassle, I'll bet

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg