As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The true villain of [JRPGs] is thinking FFTA is a good game

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Looks like it's mostly Britain vs. the rest of the world there.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Britain and the last few places britain messed with, yeah

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    and japan for some reason

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Japan is one of the few countries outside the Commonwealth of Nations (along with e.g. Thailand, Nepal and Indonesia) to drive on the left. An informal practice of left-hand passage dates at least to the Edo period, when samurai are said to have passed each other to the left to avoid knocking their longer katana swords with each other (as swords were always worn to the left side). During the late 19th century, Japan built its first railways with British technical assistance, and double-tracked railways adopted the British practice of running on the left. Stage Coach Order issued in 1870 and its revision in 1872, followed in 1881 by a further order, stipulated that mutually approaching horses had to avoid each other by shifting to the left.[125] An order issued in 1885 stated that general horses and vehicles had to avoid to the left, but they also had to avoid to the right when they met army troops, until the double standard was legally resolved in 1924.[126]

After the defeat of Japan during World War II, Okinawa was ruled by the United States Civil Administration of the Ryukyu Islands and compelled to drive on the right. Okinawa was returned to Japanese control in 1972 and changed back to driving on the left six years later, at 06:00 on 30 July 1978, as Article 9(1) of The Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949) requires nations to have one system throughout their territory(Right- and left-hand traffic#Uniformity).[127] The conversion operation was known as 730 (Nana-San-Maru,which means Nana(7)-San(3)-Maru(0)). Okinawa is one of few places to have changed from right- to left-hand traffic in the late 20th century.

The bit about the samurai swords strikes me as an urban legend, but there ya go.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Japan is one of the few countries outside the Commonwealth of Nations (along with e.g. Thailand, Nepal and Indonesia) to drive on the left. An informal practice of left-hand passage dates at least to the Edo period, when samurai are said to have passed each other to the left to avoid knocking their longer katana swords with each other (as swords were always worn to the left side). During the late 19th century, Japan built its first railways with British technical assistance, and double-tracked railways adopted the British practice of running on the left. Stage Coach Order issued in 1870 and its revision in 1872, followed in 1881 by a further order, stipulated that mutually approaching horses had to avoid each other by shifting to the left.[125] An order issued in 1885 stated that general horses and vehicles had to avoid to the left, but they also had to avoid to the right when they met army troops, until the double standard was legally resolved in 1924.[126]

After the defeat of Japan during World War II, Okinawa was ruled by the United States Civil Administration of the Ryukyu Islands and compelled to drive on the right. Okinawa was returned to Japanese control in 1972 and changed back to driving on the left six years later, at 06:00 on 30 July 1978, as Article 9(1) of The Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949) requires nations to have one system throughout their territory(Right- and left-hand traffic#Uniformity).[127] The conversion operation was known as 730 (Nana-San-Maru,which means Nana(7)-San(3)-Maru(0)). Okinawa is one of few places to have changed from right- to left-hand traffic in the late 20th century.

The bit about the samurai swords strikes me as an urban legend, but there ya go.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it were true, really.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    It makes very real sense. Having worn them before I can tell you they are awkward. Also you'd have an easier time getting to it if you had to, for whatever reason, stab someone.

Tales of hearts R is also super god damn charming. If you have a vita you should grab it. My small complaints side, the localization is great.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    haha fuuuck the juggernaut fight, I'll just leave that alone for a while

also I just unlocked the ability to buy some guns I didn't have which seemed strange so I looked them up and I guess I missed a chest back in chapter 6, what a bummer I thought I was searching everything

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i know it's not a jurp at all but god damnit

the original fable is one of my favorite games of all time and i'm finally playing fable anniversary

i decided this run was gonna be the run i finally don't upgrade any physical/strength stuff and pull the sword out of the stone

so i finally go to upgrade and instead of upgrading physique five times i upgraded it to level 5, then spent the rest of my xp on agility and will stuff

now i need 24k more xp

god damnit

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what did they do to your face in fable anniversary

it is bad enough to unsell me on that game despite liking fable 1 a lot

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i don't understand what that question means so i can't answer it :(

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think he's saying the PC's face in Anniversary is fucked up somehow compared to the original version

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    oh wait

i thought that said "is it" not "it is"

i got it now

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Vanille's eidolon is the best thing in the entire world

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Tales of Xillia 1 question. Real spoilers.
    After Millia apparently dies on the exodus ship, if you're playing her story, is the next thing you see the cutscene where Jude decks Maxwell in the face?

That seems like a pretty huge chunk of game to miss out on. A lot of important stuff happened while she was gone.
    Pretty much. You miss out on all the Jude stuff. Instead you play as blank Milla in the spirit world for a while.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Tales of Xillia 1 question. Real spoilers.
    After Millia apparently dies on the exodus ship, if you're playing her story, is the next thing you see the cutscene where Jude decks Maxwell in the face?

That seems like a pretty huge chunk of game to miss out on. A lot of important stuff happened while she was gone.
    Pretty much. You miss out on all the Jude stuff. Instead you play as blank Milla in the spirit world for a while.
    Dang. Now I understand why everyone told me to play as Jude first.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Vanille's eidolon is the best thing in the entire world

She sure seems to enjoy it....

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    You guys made me cry remembering about Nier and how awesome it is.

Then you made me laugh with Shadow Hearts 2. I should dig out Shadow Hearts 1, and laugh at all the monster descriptions again.

THE GHOST OF A DOG THAT ATE A THOUSAND MAILMEN.

Then the palette swapped version.

THE GHOST OF A MAILMAN THAT ATE A THOUSAND DOGS.

Also the weird spirits that slapped you in the face with their 'crotch protruberances'. Come on game, it was dongs.

Fake Edit: Also the anal spiders that sucked out your guts through your bumhole.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I had plans this week to discuss a non-JRPG topic in my podcast, but the schedules for those interested seem a little murky right now.

So as a back-up, I wanted to ask if anyone would be interested in a recording focused on the entire Xeno series?

I'm looking for folks who want to discuss all three Xeno titles: Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade.

Send a PM or respond here if interested.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I had plans this week to discuss a non-JRPG topic in my podcast, but the schedules for those interested seem a little murky right now.

So as a back-up, I wanted to ask if anyone would be interested in a recording focused on the entire Xeno series?

I'm looking for folks who want to discuss all three Xeno titles: Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade.

Send a PM or respond here if interested.

You should discuss the greatest jurp of all time, Shadow Hearts 2(Not really).

But seriously, I can't believe how infallable that thread title is.

• Options
    Shadow Hearts 2 is the only game in the series I played, so I don't think I could do justice with that series with a SH-centric episode. Could make for a good topic in a future open-mic episode (which I'd love to do more of).

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Surprise, Persona Q review embargo is up!

Sounds like it's fantastic

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I wonder if it's still loveable if I haven't played P4 yet?

oh hell, I know I'm going to get it anyway

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I just started playing Fantasy Life, and man, so far I like it more than the other JRPG life simulators I've played (mostly Harvest Moon and Rune Factory).

It's much less stressful than those games. I can kinda just...do whatever without having to worry about not doing enough on a given day.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think that's a big part of it. Also the combat is simple but fun, and you can have a dog friend.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I just started playing Fantasy Life, and man, so far I like it more than the other JRPG life simulators I've played (mostly Harvest Moon and Rune Factory).

It's much less stressful than those games. I can kinda just...do whatever without having to worry about not doing enough on a given day.

there's juuust a little monster hunter in there, too

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Why is Persona Q $50 instead of the typical $40?

Also; why am I going to buy it regardless???

signature.png

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Because they know they'll get that Persona money

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Why is Persona Q $50 instead of the typical $40?

Also; why am I going to buy it regardless???

Hey, at least you don't have the Australia tax.

$10 is a paltry increase to us

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    First-run copies come with free tarot cards, so it's a bargain!*

*only half a set. If you want the other half, you need to buy P4AU.

• Options
    I really wish I had the willpower to finally finish Persona 3. I'm skipping all these spinoff games featuring the P3 characters because I don't want the game spoiled.

• Options
    First-run copies come with free tarot cards, so it's a bargain!*

*only half a set. If you want the other half, you need to buy P4AU.

/sighhhhhhh

Fine. I'll just buy both. They seriously need to start selling the deck

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I really wish I had the willpower to finally finish Persona 3. I'm skipping all these spinoff games featuring the P3 characters because I don't want the game spoiled.

It takes place during September, so if you're past that month you're good.

• Options
    I don't think I ever made it as far as September, and in my current save I'm way back at the beginning yet again.

I keep resolving to buckle down and commit to a major RPG each month, but in my case I would prefer looking into finishing Dragon Age II and be ready for Inquisition come Christmas.

In any event, I'm (possibly) taking a break from podcast recording this week, but next week I believe I'm going to tackle one of the big ones: Final Fantasy VI.

Got a couple of people eager to join me, but I'm happy to invite a couple more.

After that I really want to cover Kingdom Hearts, the Xeno Trilogy (Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade) and finally a "Game of the Year" centric episode by mid or late December. Send PMs if you're interested in any of that.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Okay Rune Factory 4, what number of hearts under a girl is needed for Valentines Day in the Autumn to work out? Because one has like 7 and I don't know of any prompts other than 'I love you!' and this is not going to be a lonely repeat of the Firefly Festival

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options

After that I really want to cover Kingdom Hearts, the Xeno Trilogy (Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade) and finally a "Game of the Year" centric episode by mid or late December. Send PMs if you're interested in any of that.

Just want to note that trilogy is like 5 games

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Okay Rune Factory 4, what number of hearts under a girl is needed for Valentines Day in the Autumn to work out? Because one has like 7 and I don't know of any prompts other than 'I love you!' and this is not going to be a lonely repeat of the Firefly Festival

if you're dating someone that person will ask you out if you talk to them the day before whatever romantic festival takes place, otherwise you'll be spending that by yourself

level 7's the minimum, but I think maybe heart level 10 is where the ilu prompt starts to have a real chance of working

also the prompt only has a chance of working the first time you use it during a day

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Okay listen up Peas, you are just going to walk directly into this store, grab Fantasy Life as a gift for your friend and walk out. Nothing more, nothing less.
    rsz_120141125_214859_zps91448052.jpg
    In my defense they were placed side by side to each other

Peas on
  • Options

Just want to note that trilogy is like 5 games

Considering the sporadic length of the XS games, I feel confident I could squeeze all five Xeno titles into one recording, with room to discuss Xenoblade X.
    Square Enix is going to reveal a new RPG for console that isn’t a remake sometime next month, company president Yosuke Matsuda told the latest issue of Famitsu.

“Actually, right now, we’re working on a new RPG specifically for consoles and it isn’t a remake,” Matsuda told Famitsu. “We’ll start talking about it more in December and go from there.”

We have a Playstation Event and Jump Festa in December, so it'll probably be announced in either of those.

I have zero idea what it could possibly be, so I'll keep my expectations low. Very low.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

if you're dating someone that person will ask you out if you talk to them the day before whatever romantic festival takes place, otherwise you'll be spending that by yourself

level 7's the minimum, but I think maybe heart level 10 is where the ilu prompt starts to have a real chance of working

also the prompt only has a chance of working the first time you use it during a day

there were not enough rune crystals in the world to cook enough chocolate cake to bring her over the threshold

on the other hand basically everyone in town gave me cookies so I guess I did something alright?

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    As I said before, I can't participate in a Xeno discussion, but anything else would work.

This discussion has been closed.