As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV]I want a Sandwich, I Make a Sandwich, I Eat the Sandwich

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    @Sassori have you been watching Hannibal? You should watch Hannibal.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Damn CD, I was about to say that.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Everyone

watch

Hannibal

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I have been watching Hannibal!

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Sass, do you watch Bob's Burgers?

Also, regarding the mid season finale of The Good Wife...TeamCary forever.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Brogey wrote: »
    Sass, do you watch Bob's Burgers?

Also, regarding the mid season finale of The Good Wife...TeamCary forever.

Not only do I watch Bob's Burgers, I force other people to watch Bob's Burgers.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    The Knick

Everyone watch the Knick

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    The Knick

Everyone watch the Knick

I really want to, but it's a premium channel, ain't it?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I can't watch The Knick because it's 2014 and I've never had a reason in my adult life to subscribe to Cinemax. I'll check it out if it ends up available to watch somewhere else though, since everybody's saying it's a quality show.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Oh, I didn't realise Cinemax was a premium channel.

I don't think I'd even heard of it before the logo came up at the start of the show

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Cinemax actually has a nice respectable little stable of original programming with Strike Bake, Banshee, and The Knick

I don't know that I'd pay for it on it's own but it comes bundled with my HBO for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'd watch a show called Strike Bake.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Strike Bake is the MTV2 to Cake Boss's MTV

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    tv thread,

i really like gilmore girls

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Thanksgiving ep of Bobs Burgers was pretty great.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I've been sick lately, and with not much else to do I burned through the first eight episodes of Gracepoint that have been piling up on my DVR.

So now I shall share my thoughts.

Let me start by referencing the Season 11 premiere of the Simpsons, "Beyond Blunderdome." It's the episode where Homer helps Mel Gibson make a movie. One of Homer's many suggestions is to have an evil dog that the audience knows is evil because of a close-up on it's shifty eyes.

Why do I bring it up? Because damn near every character in Gracepoint has a "shifty-eyed dog" moment, and as ridiculous as that is I actually kind of like it.

They are at least keeping their suspect list open until the very end and being very slow to rule people out (and even then, usually not entirely), but it does feel a little like treading water sometimes. Perhaps that's because this version is two episodes longer than the British version?

I've never seen Broadchurch, and have been avoiding reading anything about either series to avoid spoilers, but I think I already pegged the killer by the second episode (granted, since the two shows apparently have very similar beginnings but different endings, it's entirely possible that I merely pegged the killer for the other version).

The frustrating part is that I didn't figure it out based on clues in the episode (if I'm right), but instead based on how it was written and shot and such which always feels a little more like a let down but seems to happen more often now a days.

Anyways, there aren't really a lot of likable characters in this series. I guess they're trying to show that everyone is flawed and everyone has dark secrets and your happy little town never is that, but that always comes across as very cynical to me.

I'm also not sure how well that will go over with audiences who generally want to see characters they don't like get their "comeuppance" and everyone is going to have their own character they dislike more than the others but all of them can't be the killer so a lot of people are going to get disappointed with their pet hated character going unpunished (or at least receiving a lesser punishment than whatever the killer receives, since the killer plot is the main plot that the other misdeeds take a back seat to).

All in all, it's going to all come down to how well they stick the landing and tie up all the different character stories. Hopefully since they changed the ending, it's not something they just threw in to shock people familiar with the original version just to throw them off or something.

Though speaking of the changed ending, considering how episode 8 ended with...
    Detective Carver collapsing to the ground and exclaiming, "I'm dying," I would be totally okay if the change turns out to be that episode 9 begins with Detective Carver standing back up--now played by Matt Smith--and energetically charging after the hooded person and then solving the case with a big bombastic speech.

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular

I think it was one of my favorite episodes of that show and had one, if not the, best Bob moments that show has done.
    Him drinking at home alone.
    "Hey daytime whisky, wanna meet my CD collection? I feel like you guys would hit it off. Ooh Donna Summers." And then talking to the baster.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I did an actual fist pump upon seeing that tweet.

God, that scene with Constable Bob and YooHoo was so brutal. I'm cringing even now, thinking back on it.

"YOLO", but yeah.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    tv thread,

i really like gilmore girls

like all non broken human beings

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options

I think it was one of my favorite episodes of that show and had one, if not the, best Bob moments that show has done.
    Him drinking at home alone.
    "Hey daytime whisky, wanna meet my CD collection? I feel like you guys would hit it off. Ooh Donna Summers." And then talking to the baster.

The music from Electric Love still kills me.

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    I really hope next season is done as a period piece, and its just classic Sherlock. No explanation, no segway, just BOOM this is when we are now.

• Options
    I think I've burned out on Sherlock

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Angel is hilariously incompetent trying to feed a baby.

Not even holding the bottle near the kids mouth

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I think I've burned out on Sherlock

I think the best (only) way to enjoy it is as a surface level diversion for 3 episodes and then don't think about it again for another year and a half until we get another 3 episodes.

Also never engage in any sort of online discussion about it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think my way to enjoy Sherlock is the best one

Start it on Netflix, go "these episodes are HOW MANY MINUTES LONG???" and close it and have not watched it still

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Now I'm not sure how much of that was incompetence, and how much was acting

• Options
    So willow's a literal drug addict now

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hey TV thread. I just got a Star Trek Original Series phaser remote control. It is really nice. Much better built than the toy ones available. It has really good heft too. It is as heavy as a real firearm. Also the case is super neat and it disassembles for storage inside.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Was rewatching Parks and Rec, and one episode has been bugging me. The episode where Ron is being charged by Jamm.
    Why do they even have to do the whole trick Jamm into dropping the charges thing. I always think, when Ron gives his statement, that he both warned Jamm, and that Jamm hit him first, Jamm's lawyer would just facepalm and glare at Jamm and that it should end right there?

Like at that point isn't it just self defense?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Was rewatching Parks and Rec, and one episode has been bugging me. The episode where Ron is being charged by Jamm.
    Why do they even have to do the whole trick Jamm into dropping the charges thing. I always think, when Ron gives his statement, that he both warned Jamm, and that Jamm hit him first, Jamm's lawyer would just facepalm and glare at Jamm and that it should end right there?

I'm not saying you don't have a point, but this is not the first nor last leap of logic that the show asks you to take for comedy's sake

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »

I'm not saying you don't have a point, but this is not the first nor last leap of logic that the show asks you to take for comedy's sake

Oh I know, and not sure why this one specific one getting to me, but it is!

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

welcome to the part of the series where they fuck up a really good character arc with a hamfisted addiction metaphor

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014

This is one of the worst aspects of S6. Taking what should be a really compelling plot and turning it into "Magic = drugs. Geddit? No really, do you??? It's drugs!!!"

kaceyp on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Back then I thought it was a bit edgy and had a good point. These days on reflection all I can think is that boy, the writers really didn't understand addiction at all.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    You have to do some weird things with woodwind instruments to support a magical drug habit

• Options
    edited November 2014
    EDIT NEVER MIND

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

welcome to the part of the series where they fuck up a really good character arc with a hamfisted addiction metaphor

Marti Noxon is a pox.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Marti Noxon was...well, I said before that I think she was better in the early seasons. "The Wish" is an all-time favorite. Her later stuff is...less good (that was her that wrote "Wrecked," aka the one I assume Psykoma just saw where Willow goes on a great big magic bender after getting questionable magic stuff from her magic dealer and then quits and has magic withdrawals.

Marti Noxon was infamous in certain parts of the fandom for describing the show as "Party of Five with monsters."

• Options
    I'm glad Cordi doens't get the pain during visions.

Interestred in seeing what other demon powers she gets than levitation

This discussion has been closed.