As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daily Show, Nightly Show, Last Week Tonight, & Full Frontal] Noah makin' it rain!

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    also this post on NeoGAF is a pretty decent run down of GamerGate. also much easier than reading a 98 page thread.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Ok, I need a little context please.

I'm behind on my Colbert this week and have no effing clue what Gamersgate is. PA is pretty much the only game website I peruse.

I'm going to try my best to give you a "neutral" answer. At the end of August, gamers "uncovered a scandal" wherein an indie game developer (Zoe Quinn, creator of Depression Quest) supposedly slept with a journalist in exchange for a good review of her game. This turned out to be completely false, but it didn't stop people from harassing and doxxing ZQ. A bunch of games websites wrote articles in response to this, calling for an end to sexism and exclusivity in "gamer culture". Gamergate started gaining steam in response to these articles. They claimed that the games press was turning its back on "gamers" and was involved in a conspiracy to push a social activism and/or feminist agenda. They used this as a pretext to attack and harass feminist critics like Anita Sarkeesian, while simultaneously claiming that they're not about harassment at all, they're about ethics in game journalism. Unfortunately, their examples of ethical violations are mild at best and non-existent at worst (for example, they claim the Independent Games Festival was rigged in favor of Fez, which 1. is unproven, 2. has nothing to do with journalism, and 3. who gives a shit).

You can trace the beginning back a bit further. "They" found the "scandal" by Quinn's ex-bf going batshit crazy on 4chan (yes, really, 4chan) and posting all kinds of stuff (including nude photos) about their relationship.

All of that is a lot more complicated, missing a lot of information and partly false.

Nope.

We had a thread on it. There's extensive evidence within on this subject. Your "both sides are bad" crap is nothing but lazy bullshit the same way it is in US politics.

Kewl.

And no. I followed it as well.

Obviously not. Otherwise you wouldn't have typed that post that was completely incorrect about the whole affair.

It was started as a slut-shamming campaign against a guy's ex-gf. We have chatlogs of how they decided to disguise it as an issue of "ethics in journalism". We also have extensive evidence of how they send rape and death threats almost exclusively to women who disagree with them but not the men. And on and on and on.

"Both sides are the same" is lazy bullshit by people trying to build a false equivalency to mitigate the issues with the side they support or the battlecry of the low-information goose who nevertheless feels they have something important to say on the subject they have no interest in learning anything about. Either option is stupid.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So can anyone find anything she said in the actual interview that was objectionable?

She got to talk to Stephen Colbert and I did not, despite all my requests in bear blood mailed to his studio.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Guys, it's important to keep discussion of GG on topic with the actual Colbert report as much as possible.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    So can anyone find anything she said in the actual interview that was objectionable?

No, it was decent.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So that John Oliver interview with Jane Goodall felt super awkward, more than any other interview with People Who Think Good. Like he makes a joke about keeping a chimp as a pet and she's all "NO. That would be awful." :<

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So that John Oliver interview with Jane Goodall felt super awkward, more than any other interview with People Who Think Good. Like he makes a joke about keeping a chimp as a pet and she's all "NO. That would be awful." :<

John always trolls in person.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Jane Goodall's been on Colbert as well. She knows what's up.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

I don't actually have cable, so I only watch the intro segments that get posted on youtube.

What's Oliver like as an interviewer in general?

• Options

John always trolls in person.

He's british they literally can't help being dicks. Like when they were trying to keep Scotland in the UK and they kept being pricks about it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Usually great, but she really didn't seem into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izUzqUrhbh0

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Usually great, but she really didn't seem into it.

-snip-

First time all season I FFW'd through a segment. It felt gross, but I couldn't place why.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    *Was not important*

Gamergate is unproductive and the attention it still gets is terrible.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Eh, I'm angry about being angry. Excuse my ramblings, they're stupid. Really just tired about it. That last line in the previous post sums up my feelings probably best. Gamergate is unproductive, wastes energy of people like Sarkeesian and devs could utilize better and anger at that such a stupid movement like Gamergate could have gotten as big as it did in the first place.

C2B on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Stephen's segment about Ottawa/Kevin Vickers was pretty great.
    I especially liked his rendition of 'O Canada'.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I was honestly expecting him to pull the rug out the whole way through by analyzing Canadian media coverage of the event versus American, and then getting angry there was insufficient fearmongering. (There was some, but not as much.)

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I was honestly expecting him to pull the rug out the whole way through by analyzing Canadian media coverage of the event versus American, and then getting angry there was insufficient fearmongering. (There was some, but not as much.)

I feel like The Daily Show would have done something like that if they had be on that week.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Colbert getting into some deep cuts with the Star Trek references tonight.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, we're just going to bar further discussion of GamerGate, even in the context of the interview. Because it will not stay even remotely on topic, and everything that needed to be said has been covered in the 100 page thread on the subject.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

I feel like The Daily Show would have done something like that if they had be on that week.

God yes. Jon Stewart would have loved it and it's right up his alley and what he covers best.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Have a lot of time to kill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFAKiADzUCU

Have less than a lot of time to kill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHh8NPN8fY

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    I made it 1:23 into the Hobby Lobby vs. ACA video before I went, "Nope. Fuck you." Like, what the hell makes your claim about contraceptives so much more religiously controversial compared to claims of religions that believe blood transfusions are wrong? :confused:

Anyways, more on-topic ish: I have to say I'm liking John Oliver's show a little more than the Daily Show. It's more depressing to watch in some ways, but that's because John Oliver's team having the whole week to bring a laser focus to certain issues lets them really dig into the problems whereas Jon Stewart can only really spend five or so minutes on a, well, daily topic before he has to move on to the next one.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I've always kind of side eyed Sarkeesian ever since I watched one of her Tropes vs. Women videos where she complained about BioShock having prostitutes. Which sort of misses the entire point of how in a setting where everything, including oxygen, is bought and sold, sex would be a commodity.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I've always kind of side eyed Sarkeesian ever since I watched one of her Tropes vs. Women videos where she complained about BioShock having prostitutes. Which sort of misses the entire point of how in a setting where everything, including oxygen, is bought and sold, sex would be a commodity.

And again, her videos aren't about one game having prostitutes, it's about every* game having them
    * yes yes not literally every

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

And again, her videos aren't about one game having prostitutes, it's about every* game having them
    * yes yes not literally every

Exactly. It's why she wouldn't bring up specific examples on Colbert.

She's not saying "This game does X, so this game is sexist", she's saying "Almost every game does X and that pattern is sexist".

• Options
    Her issue is a that lot of games have them, is what you're trying to say?

• Options

I'd advise to read El Jeffe's post up above.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I know this sounds ignorant, but I honestly didn't get what she was going for. A lot of games have prostitution. Some games handle the topic better then others. Not much different from any other topic in any other medium. But whatever, this is just me going on another tangent.

• Options

I'm trying to say exactly what I just said. Again, her entire thesis can be summed up as "Holy shit, this happens ALOT".

Example:
    If the movie you are watching contains one only asian actor and he's a stoic badass who knows kung-fu, you'd just be like "Ok, that's who he is".
    If every Hollywood movie only ever contained one asian actor and that actor was always a stoic badass who knows kung-fu, you'd go "Ok, that's fucking racist".

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Kind of, yes.

Focusing on their usage or implementation in individual games is more focusing on the trees instead of the forest - by looking at the industry in aggregate and seeing what is commonly relied upon because "it's just done that way," we can see some of the inherent biases within the industry, and it's only by drawing attention to them that we can begin to address them.

I think the most amusing response to one of those things was one where...I'm getting fuzzy on the details, I believe it was a Hitman game where a dead prostitute was used to distract some guards. And one of her critics complained about how it totally wasn't what she was talking about because you HAD TO KILL the prostitute to distract the guard. As if that made it better.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I'd advise to read El Jeffe's post up above.

Got it.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That Home Depot joke went on far too long. I felt like I was watching some shitty (read: typical) SNL skit.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I think the most amusing response to one of those things was one where...I'm getting fuzzy on the details, I believe it was a Hitman game where a dead prostitute was used to distract some guards. And one of her critics complained about how it totally wasn't what she was talking about because you HAD TO KILL the prostitute to distract the guard. As if that made it better.
    It's very much getting hung up on one particular tree in the middle of the forest.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    edit: nopppppe nevermind

override367 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That Home Depot joke went on far too long. I felt like I was watching some shitty (read: typical) SNL skit.

But... Nick Offerman and H. Jon Benjamin.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    When H Jon Benjamin said "WHY WOULD OUR CHILD BE ASIAN" my first thought was Archer saying that in response to Lana saying "What if we had a kid and she got into a car accident" after Archer makes a crass joke about someone getting in a fatal accident

which is horrible, but the entire non existent scene immediately played out in my head, archer holding a drink, lana hitting him after he said it

H Jon Benjamin is a treasure

override367 on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Not that many people play story-based games like that with a focus on high scores over completing the mission and getting more story, so trying to shield thoughtless game design with "well they knock some points off your score for doing it" is a weak defense at best. The issue she's highlighting is the "that's how it's done" thoughtlessness of modern game design that leads to games having segments that throw in strippers and allow them to be murdered without thinking about any of the ramifications.

• Options
    When H Jon Benjamin said "WHY WOULD OUR CHILD BE ASIAN" my first thought was Archer saying that in response to Lana saying "What if we had a kid and she got into a car accident" after Archer makes a crass joke about someone getting in a fatal accident

which is horrible, but the entire non existent scene immediately played out in my head, archer holding a drink, lana hitting him after he said it

H Jon Benjamin is a treasure

That would be a great Archer scene.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

But... Nick Offerman and H. Jon Benjamin.

Far. Too. Long.

Clearly the overall show was short, but it wasn't a joke that needed to be beaten that hard for that long. The premise of 'DIY store employee stops arguing couple from destroying their marriage' is pretty self-explanatory.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Usually I think the Last Week Tonight skits are just all right, but that Home Depot one? Classic. Helps that they had really good comic actors for this one.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen