As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Flash] Fastest Thread Alive

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    So I was organizing a bunch of my stuff last night, and I found three Flash trades - one I'd forgotten I had, one I'd misplaced, and another I don't think I finished reading way back when: Rogues, Crossfire, and Lightning in a Bottle. The Flash was my favourite super hero as a kid, but I didn't really get into comics until I was an adult, and then it was mostly Marvel. I know this is a thread for the show, not the comics, but do any of you who do read the comics have any suggestions for other Flash trades I should check out?

Born to Run, Race Against Time, Flash & GL: The Brave and the Bold, JLA: Year One and Dead Heat.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So I was organizing a bunch of my stuff last night, and I found three Flash trades - one I'd forgotten I had, one I'd misplaced, and another I don't think I finished reading way back when: Rogues, Crossfire, and Lightning in a Bottle. The Flash was my favourite super hero as a kid, but I didn't really get into comics until I was an adult, and then it was mostly Marvel. I know this is a thread for the show, not the comics, but do any of you who do read the comics have any suggestions for other Flash trades I should check out?

Born to Run, Race Against Time, Flash & GL: The Brave and the Bold, JLA: Year One and Dead Heat.

I'd add Crisis on Infinite Earths, Flash: Return of Barry Allen. Which is probably the best part of Waid's run. Most of Waid's run is pretty good but that and Terminal Velocity are the high points. Blood Will Run was one of the better Geoff Johns trades. Rebirth tends to be a collection people really like or hate.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

The Return of Barry Allen, the first arc of Mark Waid's legendary run on the title.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. I'll start with the Waid ones.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    May want to check out Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox movie too eventually for anyone who's into Flash.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    May want to check out Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox movie too eventually for anyone who's into Flash.
    Naah, that's just the animated version of the comic that shares the same name, and while stars a Flash, it's not really about them, instead it's a reboot of the DCU.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    (IMO) Francis Manapul's recent Flash run (Move Forward, Rogues Revolution, Gorilla Warfare, Reverse) is one of the few New 52 titles worth checking out (behind only Azzarello's Wonder Woman and JH Williams III's Batwoman).

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

If you want to hate him sure.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    That stinger
    FUCK THE GRODD DOUBTERS!

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i was hoping barry trying to change his voice would make it SUPER FUCKING SQUEAKY because it just speeds up lol

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I wonder if Wells has
    some kind of mind altering powers. Plastique looked kind of vacant when Wells was convincing her to go after Eiling. Plus Wells worked with Eiling on ESP and there was the Grodd reveal at the end.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I wonder if Wells has
    some kind of mind altering powers. Plastique looked kind of vacant when Wells was convincing her to go after Eiling. Plus Wells worked with Eiling on ESP and there was the Grodd reveal at the end.

Sadly I think that scene was more the actress playing Plastique being more wooden than, well, plastic

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    I just have one sentence for this episode:
    Explosive ordnance disposal.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    I wonder if Wells has

Sadly I think that scene was more the actress playing Plastique being more wooden than, well, plastic

I don't think she had a choice, either. It was written kludgy as hell to start with.
    "Go kill the General. Somehow, even though he knows about your power and you're not bullet proof. And then it's all over. Because then everything will be fine! No one else will care!" Not learn to control it or set up a ambush to kill him, practically warn him first and what...

Iris continues to suck. Just fucking tell her already.

Least the effects continue to hold up.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    There are so many better ways Barry, as himself or as "The Streak" (geez, that's a horrible name), could have talked Iris out of blogging about him. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when he'd gotten her to put her bloody name on it.

I don't understand how no one involved in making this show has learned from previous shows how dull and cringeworthy a love interest becomes when kept entirely ignorant of what's going on.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    I wonder if Wells has

I don't think she had a choice, either. It was written kludgy as hell to start with.
    "Go kill the General. Somehow, even though he knows about your power and you're not bullet proof. And then it's all over. Because then everything will be fine! No one else will care!" Not learn to control it or set up a ambush to kill him, practically warn him first and what...
    Plastique
    Yeah, that was really dumb of Wells. I thought he might go all "You're my Black Ops now, protect the good metas in secret while Barry's in the open", but we got what we got. Hopefully the explosion doesn't mean she's dead, since her power IS to blow stuff up, but heck, even Arrow carved a pretty impressive path through it's characters in the first season.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Speculation

Plastique
    was often on the Suicide Squad in the comics

There's a significant chance she's not dead

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I think he just needed to be rid of her, didnt matter if she succeeded or not. He was very 'get her the fuck out of here' while in the lab.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Yeah, I think it's really clear that Wells engineered a win-win situation for himself here.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's really clear that Wells engineered a win-win situation for himself here.

Pretty much, Wells gives zero fucks about anyone who isn't Barry.

Favorite comedic part of the episode was definitely "And now its gone." Second favorite was Cop dad laughing about Flash Voice.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Haha, I just realized Clancy Brown voiced Grodd on Robot Chicken.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Also third favorite comedic moment, the Boomerang "Didn't think this through did you Cisco?"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Flash voice was awesome. (That's gonna get grating if they use it more often though.)
    As far as CW shows go, they set a new record of five episodes into a season shooting a relationship/love interest in the foot. I am now in the camp of facepalming at how they're handling the Barry/Iris relationship

DAT GRODD STINGER..

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    I have not liked Tom Cavanagh in other things I have seen him in, but he is phenomenal as Wells. The only problem I have with the character so far is way too many episodes have relied on the "Wells does something shifty" stinger.

The Barry/Iris shit is awful and it felt like it took up half the episode. It might be bad enough that if it does not improve I will drop the show.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Whenever Caitlin was in a scene she stole the show. I loved how she chided Cisco for being a creeper with Plastique and talked to her in confidence about being a metahuman. They need to give her more to do on the show, she's sitting on the sidelines too much as Barry's doc.

Eiling was perfectly cast.

Plastique's death was anti-climatic. I expected her to be smarter than that. Though I did like how Eiling saw though it instantly.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Caitlin being self-aware about pulling a Felicity was pretty great, Caitlin has grown on me

Iris has gotten better as like, a character but holy god her storyline is fucking terrible

like, clearly it is not the actress' fault here, the fault is the material

Flash writers

stop this nonsense

nobody likes this shit

nobody

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    when barry said "you know the only way she'll stop is if I tell her"

I was like YES FINALLY

nope

damnit

• Options
    Apparently Joe's super power is cock blocking. Still I am completely confused why two 25 year olds apparently keep coming home and it seems like Iris still lives there!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    Caitlin being self-aware about pulling a Felicity was pretty great, Caitlin has grown on me

Iris has gotten better as like, a character but holy god her storyline is fucking terrible

like, clearly it is not the actress' fault here, the fault is the material

Flash writers

stop this nonsense

nobody likes this shit

nobody

Exactly. I was having Superman flashbacks. It'd be so much simpler if the show bypassed the secret identity girlfriend routine early on.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I was really just hoping for The Flash to show up in person in that scene and for Iris to go, "Oh hi, Barry. What? You think I didn't know? It's sort of obvy with your sudden dramatic shift in not wanting me to pursue 'the impossible' anymore."

And then The Flash goes, "But... that doesn't prove anything..."

And then Iris responds with, "Yeah, but you suddenly completely disappearing on me in the very first episode of this show and then instantly reappearing where the bad guy's car crashed sort of does. And the several other times you suddenly up and vanish whenever there's a crisis."

And then they make out and have a million beautiful children together (offscreen) and we get back to superhero kickass stuff instead of angsty should-I-tell-her-or-not crap.

• Options
    I do have to say I like that Flash's support is the complete opposite of Arrow. Like on Arrow Roy and Diggle are hard and felicity is the comedic relief. On flash Cisco and Caitlan are the comedic relief and Wells is the hard one.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    when barry said "you know the only way she'll stop is if I tell her"

I was like YES FINALLY

nope

damnit

This is one of the reasons I liked the ASM movie.

Peter spends about 5 minutes with Gwen before giving her his secret identity.

Which, let's face it, is exactly what most of us would do in that same situation at that age with the same girl.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also third favorite comedic moment, the Boomerang "Didn't think this through did you Cisco?"

The one that really got be tickling was Joe West's, "Must be Tuesday in Central City."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Clancy Brown still has that super intimidating glare. Hopefully, they'll have him back just so he could stare down more people.

That last shot
    with Wells was really creepy, especially with the way his eyes were lit.

35hiyjm.png

• Options
    Foefaller wrote: »

The one that really got be tickling was Joe West's, "Must be Tuesday in Central City."

At least he's not acting surprised by this shit anymore.

"Oh she can blow up shit by touching it? Sure fine whatever you know whatever."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

At least he's not acting surprised by this shit anymore.

"Oh she can blow up shit by touching it? Sure fine whatever you know whatever."

the only thing that surprised him was Barry's Flash voice which he thought was hilarious as shit

• Options
    That seemed like such a genuinely mirthful moment.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Apparently Joe's super power is cock blocking. Still I am completely confused why two 25 year olds apparently keep coming home and it seems like Iris still lives there!

I mean Barry probably has nowhere else to go. 9 months in a coma can fuck up your finances. Iris is still in college.

Eilling was in JLU right? I think I can see something similar happening there.

About the last scene in this ep
    So I hope they introduce Splicing as the origin for Grodd. It'd a DCAU thing yeah but it'd mesh with how the Metas are made ( fusing something to their DNA)

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    oh

my

gawd

This discussion has been closed.