As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek Wedding [chat] (BIG PICTURES IN OP; NSFData)

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    did anyone buy gramrick

is it good

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    even the younglings. I hope they burn in hell the worst as a torture for the other adult ones

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    wasps are terrible

this is a bug fact

Dragonflies eat wasps.

Dragonflies are great.

wait seriously?

dragonflies suddenly promoted to bro-tier bugs

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    did anyone buy gramrick

is it good

I have roughly 700 more hours of Skyrim first

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Don't stare into the husk of the Shedinja, or your soul may be lost forever.

- PokeTip

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    arch there is a fly that has been buzzing around my house for two days now

is it

one of yours

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    That'll teach you to not leave your petard laying around

I left a lock on it and everything, though. I don't know what happened.

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »
    It sucks because I do have some problems with Anita Sarkseesian (like how she stole an artist's work) but it is impossible to have a dialogue without some guy going HECK YEAH NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT HOW THAT STUPID BITCH IS RUINING GAMING

those people must exist but i have literally never encountered one

Will a lot of that is the spaces you're in

by your own admission you tend towards very liberal, comfortable spaces of like-minded and reasonable people

so no, you don't encounter a lot of gater fuckstains with shit-headed viewpoints, no

they're generally unwelcome in cultures like this forum

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Dragonflies are like ultimate bug-bros. Their nymphs eat mosquito larva, and then they grow up to cleanse the world of all other bugs.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »

Well it's made of rope, so they probably just untied the knot.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Arch - do you study spiders too, or is that a different kind of scientist?

• Options
    And then a frog eats them.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    A really weird effect of this little stock market dip and its flee to 'safe' obligations is a gigantic impact on Dutch pension law.
    Basically Dutch pensions are calculated based on a conservative estimate of the yield on investments, and it was chosen to tie this to the risk-free yield, which is highly dependent on the value of state obligations. On a day like today when the 10 year yield on a Dutch bond drops below 0.9% this yield absolutely plummets, and suddenly all the pensions are below 100% solvency. And this happens to be the period when the payout for next year is determined, which is now all but guaranteed to not be adjusted to inflation.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    oh no I'm passing off all my tickets before I leave to china and I got to the last one and I have no goddamn clue what it's about

it's old, I mentioned I had done something (I always mention exactly what my fixes are! JUST NOT THIS TIME!) and there's no evidence anything has been done. The user apparently isn't answering his phone and he has no assets assigned to him.

Think this one might be a close'n'go

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    And then a frog eats them.
    Kill all frogs.

• Options
    cool bugs:

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    @‌arch speaking of dragonflies

last week i stepped outside my back door with my dogs for a few

and i started seeing quite a few dragonflies

then i looked up

there were dragon flies coming as far as the eye could see them

this went on for i have no idea how long because i dont stay outside long enough to get bitten by the devil gnats but it was at least for 10 mins!

i thought the world was ending and they were the first sign of the apocalypse.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It sucks because I do have some problems with Anita Sarkseesian (like how she stole an artist's work) but it is impossible to have a dialogue without some guy going HECK YEAH NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT HOW THAT STUPID BITCH IS RUINING GAMING

Dude the whole gamergate thing was basically one big ol misogynistic movement.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    PantsB wrote: »
    so i guess that everything that anita sarkeesian has done and said is now pretty much irrelevant in the face of the fact that a few crazy, awful internet people have issued horrible threats to her.

which, you know, is i guess an important issue but not really the one that she has spent so much time talking about.

The best PR for someone in her line of work is to claim death threats.

I don't know if they are real or not but its publicity gold

It's very real. It's not uncommon for women in media to get death threats, rape threats, stalked and hassled by irate fanboys who can't stand people that aren't straight, white men in professions they get enjoyment from. Sarkeesian isn't even a professional in the gaming industry and that's the shit she's had to deal with.
    Everyone in the public eye gets death threats, especially on twitter. Its frankly not newsworthy. And the media would have felt the same way about an obscure talk at a not particularly prestigious university until Sarkeesian cancelled it because she was concerned there was insufficient security to prevent a mass shooting to silencer her based on an anonymous threat in the wake of a wave of publicity about other gamer feminists receiving highly (for the niche) publicized threats.

I frankly think its highly unlike the threat was real in any substantial way, but she has taken advantage of it

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    @‌arch speaking of dragonflies

last week i stepped outside my back door with my dogs for a few

and i started seeing quite a few dragonflies

then i looked up

there were dragon flies coming as far as the eye could see them

this went on for i have no idea how long because i dont stay outside long enough to get bitten by the devil gnats but it was at least for 10 mins!

i thought the world was ending and they were the first sign of the apocalypse.

They were eating the gnats!

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Arch wrote: »
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    everyone's all like OH I LOVE PRAYING MANTISES AND BUTTERFLIES AND LADYBUGS

false

those are all some of the worst insects

you have all failed me

Incorrect, mayflys are the worst.

false all aquatic and semi-aquatic insects are baller

EXCEPTION
    dragonflies
    damselflies
    all dipterans

You ever had to deal with a swarm of the fuckers?

You can, honest to god, see them coming on the radar. They will turn whole boats black and will be stuck to every surface 6 deep.

Uhg.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »

Well it's made of rope, so they probably just untied the knot.

*small gasp*

That's probably exactly it.

• Options
    for a minute I was loke, wait snails are cool bugs

and then I thought oh, snails arent bugs

• Options
    Don't discard and forget your toys, or evil spirits may take up residence in them and turn them into listless animated abominations.

- PokeTip

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    so i guess that everything that anita sarkeesian has done and said is now pretty much irrelevant in the face of the fact that a few crazy, awful internet people have issued horrible threats to her.

which, you know, is i guess an important issue but not really the one that she has spent so much time talking about.

That was a symptom of the issues with misogyny in gamer culture. Those jerky fanboys made her point for her.

was it, though? do a small number of horrible, crazy people making death threats speak for an entire "culture"?

This wasn't a couple of people. She was harassed a lot, and it's not only about those who were the worst offenders. The majority who hated her work related to those offenders and were angry that she dare critique the industry. They didn't to take any chances she could influence the industry to be friendly to women gamers and professionals. Not every critic she had was like this, but too many had those intentions. What she went through isn't an isolated incident, this is what professional women in the industry have to struggle with.
    i confess to only having watched a few of her videos, but she seemed focused on criticising games and not broadly criticising "gamers"

Her critiques on gaming was informed by the atmosphere in gaming, which isn't welcome to women.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Quid wrote: »

Is that true? There were certainly a lot of people that fell into that camp, but there seemed to be a lot of people that were genuinely interested in better game journalism.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Pony wrote: »

Will a lot of that is the spaces you're in

by your own admission you tend towards very liberal, comfortable spaces of like-minded and reasonable people

so no, you don't encounter a lot of gater fuckstains with shit-headed viewpoints, no

they're generally unwelcome in cultures like this forum

yeah i guess that must be the case - i'm not suggesting that they don't exist or anything, since clearly they do.

i mean i'm real glad that they don't feel welcome here, since by the sounds of it they're pretty awful.

but i'm also annoyed that they are viewed as representative of "gamers" or "gamer culture" and their existence used as an indictment of the same when they clearly have nothing to do with me or my community here.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

It's very real. It's not uncommon for women in media to get death threats, rape threats, stalked and hassled by irate fanboys who can't stand people that aren't straight, white men in professions they get enjoyment from. Sarkeesian isn't even a professional in the gaming industry and that's the shit she's had to deal with.
    Everyone in the public eye gets death threats, especially on twitter. Its frankly not newsworthy. And the media would have felt the same way about a talk at a small university until Sarkeesian cancelled it because she was concerned there was insufficient security to prevent a mass shooting to silencer her based on an anonymous threat in the wake of a wave of publicity about other gamer feminists receiving highly (for the niche) publicized threats.

I frankly think its highly unlike the threat was real in any substantial way, but she has taken advantage of it

I think it's safe to say that most low level video game critics do not get death threats.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Read the responses to articles about her work.

• Options
    Don't trust the light cast by Litwick, for its radiance is fueled by the life of those it encounters.

- PokeTip

• Options
    Will go to red pill on reddit sometime.

• Options

Is that true? There were certainly a lot of people that fell into that camp, but there seemed to be a lot of people that were genuinely interested in better game journalism.

Loads of people are interested in better game journalism.

Gamergate was interested in proving "collusion" between those darned social justice warriors that kept loading around .04% of all gaming news with blasted feminism.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Some wasps are cool. Mostly chaotic evil, though.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Everyone in the public eye gets death threats, especially on twitter. Its frankly not newsworthy. And the media would have felt the same way about a talk at a small university until Sarkeesian cancelled it because she was concerned there was insufficient security to prevent a mass shooting to silencer her based on an anonymous threat in the wake of a wave of publicity about other gamer feminists receiving highly (for the niche) publicized threats.

I think it's safe to say that most low level video game critics do not get death threats.

Writers and editors of free village weeklies get death threats.

• Options

hehehe
    hahaahaha
    yes
    because a one sentence mention of her free game is a deep cutting corruption

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    a
    Even straight white males get death threats for video game development changes.
    Even though these things happen on the regular, there is definitely not a problem.

:3
    please kill me

That one sony exec that had a bomb threat called in on his plane during that week, was basically (super paraphrased) "im frustrated but kind of used to it by now, they have been at this for 13 years or so. its weird that its a big deal and not a big deal". He's been harassed ever since he made a 'controversial' decision during the ps2 era and was promoted and people didn't like it. This is not a thing that is just happening to women, if theres a public facing position with a community around it, that person is probably getting threats.

I usually have encountered the opposite, being 'you typical misogynist' when trying to discuss anything about her videos or that event above.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Oh my -- they are apparently starting the jazz festival early this year

this is quite unfortunate

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    so, an admission

I have been using the term "gater" recently to refer to people involved with Gamergate and in general to refer to misogynistic, shitty man-baby gamer assholes

I've basically stopped dumping on gamer as a label entirely, really

I used to do that a fair bit, I used to be part of the people who dumped on self-identified gamers and the idea of calling oneself a gamer and making being a gamer a significant part of your identity

but I'm done with that and I'm using the term gater to refer to those people for two reasons

1. It's handy and clear who I am referring to. like terms like neo-nazi, birther, or teeper, if I say "gater" it should be clear who I am talking about and what kind of viewpoint I am criticizing. As a label, it's more clear and useful.
    2. Ultimately, dumping on gamers might be accurate when I'm referring to gater-type people who self-identify as gamers but it isn't when I'm referring to just any ole person who just likes video games but simply calls themselves "gamer" because that's what they do, and now they're arguing with me dumping on that label and fighting me on my argument that doesn't even apply to them. What's worse, because of the existence of stuff like Gamergate, there's now Grima Wormtongue-like motherfuckers out there whispering into their ear going "See! See! They're all against us, this isn't about our individual differences this is about defending all gamers, we're all under attack!" And now suddenly they're gathering allies who, if they took one long look at the slimy troglodytes they're standing beside, they'd be fucking appalled, but they're not because they feel like their very identity is under attack (and wrongfully, since the arguments being tossed out don't even really apply to them!)

The second point is really salient, and one I didn't really get into until recently when I got into an argument with my brother about it and he successfully argued that point.

• Options
    The enveloping tendrils of Gourgeist may appear affectionate and comforting, but do not be fooled, for the creature derives glee from the suffering of others.

- PokeTip

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    No Wired twitter feed, I don't want regular tweets about your guide to binge watching the Gilmore Girls.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
This discussion has been closed.