As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Jaywalking Thread that is not about Ferguson

2»

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    "Carriageway"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    "Carriageway"

all hail britannia

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I think there is enormous value in having relatively simple rules that apply everywhere, regardless of jurisdiction, and oblige local authorities to signpost or fence as appropriate, rather than designating 'zones' in which certain rules apply or don't apply

one could go into brand identity and consumer behaviour and such, but I think it also helps that such fences are almost uniformly painted the same shade of green and share a certain look. it might be a historical accident of there being only so many railing suppliers in a single city, but the visual consistency matters, I think

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I used to live in Illinois and work in Wisconsin. We lived near enough to the state line that I walked to work at a furniture store since I couldn't drive at the time, I would also have to walk to get lunch if we weren't out on deliveries. I was about 19 at the time.

One day I crossed the street on my way to lunch using the crosswalk with a clear signal. A car was in the right hand turn lane inching its way towards me impatiently as people tend to do. After I had reached the other side the driver decided that he would stop and roll down his window and yell at me. To which I turn around and yelled "Fuck Off!" at him as I was in no mood for this guys shit. Siren lights go on, this was an unmarked police car.

He got out his vehicle and yelled at me for a minutes. Bullshit about me thinking I was a tough guy for swearing at a cop and explaining that if a car chose to hit me while I was crossing the street then I would be at fault for some reason. I mostly said nothing because I was scared of getting arrested on my lunch break. Ultimately nothing happened and the guy went on his way.

I type this story because the OP says cops use Jaywalking laws to harass people. Those cops will use anything to harass people for whatever reason, because they can.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I used to live in Illinois and work in Wisconsin. We lived near enough to the state line that I walked to work at a furniture store since I couldn't drive at the time, I would also have to walk to get lunch if we weren't out on deliveries. I was about 19 at the time.

One day I crossed the street on my way to lunch using the crosswalk with a clear signal. A car was in the right hand turn lane inching its way towards me impatiently as people tend to do. After I had reached the other side the driver decided that he would stop and roll down his window and yell at me. To which I turn around and yelled "Fuck Off!" at him as I was in no mood for this guys shit. Siren lights go on, this was an unmarked police car.

He got out his vehicle and yelled at me for a minutes. Bullshit about me thinking I was a tough guy for swearing at a cop and explaining that if a car chose to hit me while I was crossing the street then I would be at fault for some reason. I mostly said nothing because I was scared of getting arrested on my lunch break. Ultimately nothing happened and the guy went on his way.

I type this story because the OP says cops use Jaywalking laws to harass people. Those cops will use anything to harass people for whatever reason, because they can.

Did you read the post just a little ways down, where I explained that I don't think jaywalking laws are the source of profiling and discrimination?

They're just a tool. Take the hammer away and the cops will just use a mallet instead.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Technically, Massachusetts has a jaywalking law. The fine is $1 per offense.

The fine is so low that a city would lose money trying to enforce payment (it costs about $70 to prosecute non-payment), thus a police officer who actually fined a jaywalker would get his ass chewed out by his superiors.

As for drivers, it pretty much doesn't matter who had the right of way, in an accident with a pedestrian. The police, prosecutor, and judge will blame the driver, unless there's a ton of corroborating evidence to the contrary.

All this might sound strange to people who live outside Boston/NYC, but putting the onus on drivers of 2 ton death machines is pretty much what happens when cities get built around people, not cars.

As the owner of a 2 ton death machine in a nearby suburb of Boston, you get used to it, and actually appreciate it when you're on foot.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    What is the point of a toothless law like that

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

So they can say it's technically illegal, which will get most people to not do it most of the time.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So they can say it's technically illegal, which will get most people to not do it most of the time.
    Have you been to Boston? Pretty much everyone jaywalks everyday. That might be a slight exaggeration, but only slight.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    presumably legality matters if someone chooses to stand in the road

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It also gives police the power to enforce compliance; jaywalking being nominally illegal gives them the ability to compel people to stop doing it when necessary.

Some of the reasoning in this thread seems a little silly to me; we need to have laws that give discretionary power to enforcement. We just also need mechanisms to hold enforcement more accountable for their decisions.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget