Options

[Marvel MCU] the strange civility of the friendly neighbourhood captain panther

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Here's an idea, what if they Sauron-up the Mandarin a bit? Say his personality is infused into the 10 rings, so the original Mandarin died centuries ago when his hands were removed, but whenever someone wears one of his rings, the piece of the Mandarin's mind compels the wearer to find more rings, until the Mandarin can take control of that body fully. Might explain why an entire religion seemed to pop up about the 10 Rings and the Mandarin.

Another idea would be to give a Chinese hero their own movie and make the Mandarin the villain of that. Sadly, Shang-Chi and Jubilee are the only two "big" names I can think of, and I wouldn't want Marvel to go "We're introducing our first stand-alone superhero movie starring an Asian character.. and his superpower is MARTIAL ARTS!" and Jubilee is off limits.

I kind of like the idea of using Vector for this (Shes' a character who first appeared like a year ago in Avengers World) since she's a teleporter and since Nightcrawler isn't in the MCU the powerset isn't represented.

Amadeus Cho. Technically he's american of chinese descent (though that isn't really integral to the character), but he still has an interesting power set (Magyver) that lets him hold his own against all manner of people who should be able to straight up own him.

Amadeus Cho is Korean-American, not Chinese, but yeah.

Supposedly this is Cho in the MCU, from Incredible Hulk. WTF.

Amadeus_Cho.jpg

IIRC he had a cameo with an Asian actor in the media scenes from Avengers.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Age of Ultron spoilers
    Claudia Kim's mysterious role is rumored to be a "Dr. Cho"

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Apparently that guy is only referenced as Amadeus Cho in the film novelization. Which means it's a dumb decision and hopefully gets ignored in the future, should the character actually appear in a movie.

• Options
    Apparently that guy is only referenced as Amadeus Cho in the film novelization. Which means it's a dumb decision and hopefully gets ignored in the future, should the character actually appear in a movie.

Yeah. I'd prefer that too.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Age of Ultron spoilers
    Claudia Kim's mysterious role is rumored to be a "Dr. Cho"

Whoa
    That's the actress who plays Khutulun, Warrior Princess, in Marco Polo. She's pretty great.

• Options
    Daniel Bruhl will be
    Baron Zemo
    in Captain America: Civil War.

http://www.moviecastingcall.org/2015/01/captain-america-civil-war-casting-calls.html
    220px-Thunderboltstrue.png

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    About time a genuine hero is in these movies.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    He better have the right costume.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Oh ffs nooooooo:(

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Why does Zemo dress like he's auditioning for a spot on the old 60's Batman TV show?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Whoops wrong thread, but I have news for here, too!

Apparently Sophie Turner found out about her casting as Jean Grey via twitter along with everyone else. Which is kinda shitty.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Holy shit.

David Tennant was just cast as a villain in AKA Jessica Jones.
    He's gonna be god damn Purple Man

That could be amazing. http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/26/david-tennant-jessica-jones/

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    That is awesome, and jumped Jessica Jones from "Of course I'll watch, its Marvel" to "I have to watch that!" level. I just love David Tennant's acting.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    My level of watching Jessica Jones is contingent on how well DD is (still haven't gotten around to Agent Carter and now sort of feel like I don't need to), but Tennant is a solid choice.

Just keep him Welsh or whatever he is, he doesn't have to force an american accent.

edit: on paper it seems like the Netflix TV shows have stronger villains than any movie so far just in terms of casting, but this will hopefully change with Bruhl's character. They have to deliberately sabotage that character to make him not awesome in the movies. Which they may well do to make Cap look good.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Agent Carter has been excellent so far dude

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

David Tennant was just cast as a villain in AKA Jessica Jones.
    He's gonna be god damn Purple Man

That could be amazing. http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/26/david-tennant-jessica-jones/

Ok, I looooove David Tennant. So basically I was already planning on watching Jessica Jones, but now the one/two punch of Krysten Ritter and David Tennant has put it at one of my most anticipated shows now. God it's too far away!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Is Ben Kingsley considered a white dude?

Ever since they filled in that part of his birth certificate, yes.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Is Ben Kingsley considered a white dude?

Ever since they filled in that part of his birth certificate, yes.

I... never... saw... that... coming.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    My level of watching Jessica Jones is contingent on how well DD is (still haven't gotten around to Agent Carter and now sort of feel like I don't need to)

This statement doesn't make sense.

• Options
    The Carter stuff was just acknowledging the other Marvel show out there now, but with the Netflix stuff they're leading with their best foot with DD. If they don't really land that it would surprising to bounce back with the other characters.

I am more excited for DD than I am of any other comic show, even more than Avengers 2, if I'm being completely honest.

• Options
    I mean the Agent Carter part.

That show is amazing.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Whoops wrong thread, but I have news for here, too!

Apparently Sophie Turner found out about her casting as Jean Grey via twitter along with everyone else. Which is kinda shitty.

game-of-thrones-sansa-stark-sophie-turner.jpg
    Seal wrote: »
    Why does Zemo dress like he's auditioning for a spot on the old 60's Batman TV show?

Marvel tradition.
    The Carter stuff was just acknowledging the other Marvel show out there now, but with the Netflix stuff they're leading with their best foot with DD. If they don't really land that it would surprising to bounce back with the other characters.

I am more excited for DD than I am of any other comic show, even more than Avengers 2, if I'm being completely honest.

Carter's going to have a part in Ant-man and probably a cameo in Avengers: Age of Ultron. And she's appeared in Agents of SHIELD. Which is awesome.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    There may come a day when we all feel that we've seen way too much of Hayley Atwell.

I'm kidding. That's a ridiculous statement.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I'm loving Tennant as Purple Man. He was so good in Gracepoint (It took me most of the pilot to convince myself that's who it was and go check).

Also, I get the feeling that the Netflix shows aren't going to be afraid to go darker than the other TV / movie efforts.

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I'm loving Tennant as Purple Man. He was so good in Gracepoint (It took me most of the pilot to convince myself that's who it was and go check).

Also, I get the feeling that the Netflix shows aren't going to be afraid to go darker than the other TV / movie efforts.

Not too much darker. They're still owned by Marvel and Disney, which has its drawbacks. Its a pity since this means we won't get an R-rated Punisher, or Blade, again.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    My level of watching Jessica Jones is contingent on how well DD is (still haven't gotten around to Agent Carter and now sort of feel like I don't need to)

He doesn't know if the netflix series are going to be any good, so he's waiting to see how DD turns out.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

He doesn't know if the netflix series are going to be any good, so he's waiting to see how DD turns out.

The Netflix series are being done by different crews, so the quality of one does not reflect on the others. The writers, directors, and producers of Daredevil are not doing AKA Jessica Jones.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Not too much darker. They're still owned by Marvel and Disney, which has its drawbacks. Its a pity since this means we won't get an R-rated Punisher, or Blade, again.

Eh. In so much as we don't get that many R rated movies that could possibly be PG from any major studio. R ratings mean teenagers can't see it, teenagers are a big market demo for movies in theaters. There isn't any kinda moral stance by the Mouse here, it's all about money.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I want to see a Purple Man driven insane and crippled by self doubt as he discovers his power late in his life, after he already has an established, happily functioning family, and he has to confront the fact that he doesn't know if they have ever truly loved him or if it was a subconcious manifestation the whole time.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    I want to see a Purple Man driven insane and crippled by self doubt as he discovers his power late in his life, after he already has an established, happily functioning family, and he has to confront the fact that he doesn't know if they have ever truly loved him or if it was a subconcious manifestation the whole time.

Hmmm yes this will do

• Options

I mean the Agent Carter part.

That show is amazing.

• Options

Eh. In so much as we don't get that many R rated movies that could possibly be PG from any major studio. R ratings mean teenagers can't see it, teenagers are a big market demo for movies in theaters. There isn't any kinda moral stance by the Mouse here, it's all about money.

I know its about money, not morals. That doesn't change that's what we're stuck with.
    Mvrck wrote: »

I'd like to hear his origins for his powers. AoS spoilers
    They could make him Inhuman.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2015

How dark do you want it to go? In AoS:
    Coulson is brought back to life and has graphically portrayed open brain surgery while pleading with the doctors to let him die.

Meanwhile, people are being ordered around by a dude who can type directly into their brains and will murder them with explosive implants if they disobey. Grant, at one point, murders an entire base full of enemies, and later assassinates his entire family. And the plucky techie sidekick receives permanent brain damage and has to deal with potentially being of no value to his team, while the woman to whom he reveals his love while saving her life literally runs away so she won't have to tell him he's in the Friend Zone.

Or is "dark" just code for "cuss words and tits"?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Coulson is brought back to life and has graphically portrayed open brain surgery while pleading with the doctors to let him die.

Meanwhile, people are being ordered around by a dude who can type directly into their brains and will murder them with explosive implants if they disobey. Grant, at one point, murders an entire base full of enemies, and later assassinates his entire family. And the plucky techie sidekick receives permanent brain damage and has to deal with potentially being of no value to his team, while the woman to whom he reveals his love while saving her life literally runs away so she won't have to tell him he's in the Friend Zone.

Or graphically showing a literal Nazi dissecting a woman.

• Options

Tits with cuss words tattooed on to them.

• Options

I don't see any Marvel show or movies trying to replicate (Game of Thrones spoilers)
    Ramsey torturing Theon.
    Or doing anything resembling what GoT does every episode. Being on HBO has its perks.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I mean shit, that show straight up murders a puppy.

I don't know if I want to watch a show that makes me want to kill myself from despair every week.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I don't think "darker" as in cuss words and tits, just addressing more adult subject matter. Like, I don't see Agents of Shields trying to tackle Bullseye killing Elektra and the results of that or Purple Man being rapey. Like, I could see them going into "hard PG-13" areas while keeping the obvious R stuff (extreme language and nudity) at bay.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I don't know, I'm perfectly content to not have rape arcs in my superhero shows.

As far as the aftermath of a main character dying, Whedon says hello.

At least he tries to say hello, but he takes a spike to the chest before he can get past the first syllable.

Anyway, what you're asking for has nothing to do with ratings or whether the show is on broadcast television or Netflix. AoS has dudes exploding.

The rating has very little to do with thematic content, and there's nothing plot wise that can't be done on network television just as easily as on Netflix. The limiting factor is just what kind of story Marvel wants told with their properties.

The only things you can get on Netflix that you can't get on broadcast television are cuss words and tits. Period.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I mean shit, that show straight up murders a puppy.

I don't know if I want to watch a show that makes me want to kill myself from despair every week.

It is kind of interesting how many people react even worse to the dog dying than the people. I remember that one reaction video where this girl is watching and her dog is trying to comfort her and she pushes him away and then oh snaps the dog dies and she's like OH PUPPY COME HERE I LOVE YOU.