Options

The Last [Movies] Thread, Part 2

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sallah was already a joke. "Asps very dangerous, you go first."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    So I just watched John Wick, it was amazing.

Just curious, what do you english speakers think about Nykvists (Viggos) accent? Always in comedy shows and the like and some whacky "swedish" dude comes along he almost always speaks with a german or completely ridiculous accent, but Nykvist of course speaks with his own heavy swedish accent. Does it sound ridiculous? Fake? Eastern European? Have you heard it before?

It doesn't sound Russian to me in the slightest, but Americans notoriously have a tin ear for accents.

We can pick out French and Scottish, that's about it. Anything English, Irish, South African, Australian, Kiwi, or Welsh is "British." Anything Iberian in origin is "Hispanic." Everything else is "European."

I thought it sounded Russian when I saw it but I wasn't like closely paying attention to exactly what accent he was using or anything.

I just assumed russian, because the eastern european bad guys are always russian, they are the fat people of action movies.

To be fair they specifically refer to him as Russian and they speak Russian throughout the film. I just took it at face value and assumed it was a Russian accent. It didn't sound like the Swedish guys I know to me!

well it was really bad Russian with really bad accents for the most part and the funny thing is that the stuff that they said in Russian didn't match the subtitle translation.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    A lot of these interpretations of Seven make no sense to me. In my eyes, Somerset was clearly the moral centre of the movie and was not apathetic himself, but jaded and beaten down by the empathy of others. He was on the verge of giving up trying to right the world's wrongs but his relationship with Mills and the Doe case caused him to decide to keep fighting. The continuing corruption of Mills was his call to action. He's the closest that movie has to an idealist, in my eyes.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Mulletude wrote: »

Just curious, what do you english speakers think about Nykvists (Viggos) accent? Always in comedy shows and the like and some whacky "swedish" dude comes along he almost always speaks with a german or completely ridiculous accent, but Nykvist of course speaks with his own heavy swedish accent. Does it sound ridiculous? Fake? Eastern European? Have you heard it before?

It doesn't sound Russian to me in the slightest, but Americans notoriously have a tin ear for accents.

We can pick out French and Scottish, that's about it. Anything English, Irish, South African, Australian, Kiwi, or Welsh is "British." Anything Iberian in origin is "Hispanic." Everything else is "European."

Speak for yourself there duder

I have a masters' degree in linguistics, and can not only readily tell an Irish from an English accent, I can tell a Yorkshire from a Bristol accent, which part of London you come from, and why the Aberdonian brogue is much more pleasing to the ear than the more guttural and plosive Glaswegian dialects. I also speak Spanish and French and can get by with Portuguese and Italian well enough. I'm currently teaching myself Gaeilge.

When I say, "but Americans," I really shouldn't have to make it any more clear that I'm generalizing.

And please don't call me "duder."

Atomika on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Sallah was already a joke. "Asps very dangerous, you go first."
    In Raiders Sallah has funny as well as serious scenes. In Crusade he's only a joke.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2015

Can I call you Shirley?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Last Crusade is at least 80% a comedy, compared to maybe 40% in the other two. But it's a pretty good comedy (and a fairly esoteric one, as comedies go), so I give it a pass.

At any rate the trilogy reflects Spielberg's (and Lucas's) intentions not to simply repeat themselves after Raiders. With Temple they go much darker; with Crusade, much lighter. Neither are quite as successful as the original film, which is just about perfect, but each has its adherents and they all have their moments.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Last Crusade has pretty much the exact same plot as Raiders for sure

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Last Crusade has pretty much the exact same plot as Raiders for sure

True, but what's important is that the tone was remarkably different, which covers/masks any simularities in either story.

The story is about Indy's interactions with his dad, not about the holy grail.

• Options
    The real holy grail was reconnecting with his father.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

At the end of Last Crusade there was originally a scene where Henry and Indy have a game of catch.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »

At the end of Last Crusade there was originally a scene where Henry and Indy have a game of catch.

Too on the nose, and really cliche. Instead it should have been a london tower in some new Delhi brothel.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That was in Pirates of the Caribbean 4.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I'm adding The Interview to my top 5 for the year

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    There's no way I could fairly judge The Interview because of all the pre release nonsense. There was just too much "this movie allegedly caused NK to hack Sony" hype. I will say I didn't think it was as good as This is the End, but that I laughed hard throughout.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Interview was a not-bad way to kill ninety minutes. Probably one of the weaker Rogen - Franco ventures, but I really dig their shtick, so it kept me happy.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas this weekend.

I want to say this was when Depp started his downward spiral to "all characters being caricatures" before revising it to "all characters are Jack Sparrow with different makeup".

Still, it's a very entertaining movie, with tons of quotes in it. It still kind of feels that it falls apart after the first act, like it's expected to stop, but keeps going and going and going...

• Options
    edited January 2015
    http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2015/01/rise-in-threats-against-muslims-result-of-american-sniper-report-argues/

This makes me sad, its like taking the message of "man ptsd is horrible and can fuck with people." its "Woo kill people who are different because I'm an idiot."

I imagine these were the people who watched Robocop and wanted Robocop patrolling their streets or thought Starship Troopers was an endorsement of military service to be able to be a citizen.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I just watched the Exorcism of Emily Rose and it made me pretty angry.

The movie is "based on true events", a disclaimer that I generally care very little about, but in the case of Emily Rose it's quite insidious. Normally these movies are quite blatant about their fictionality, with telekinetic ghosts throwing people across the room and such nonsense. Emily Rose, on the other hand, doesn't directly focus on such hocus pocus horror movie cliches.

Emily Rose is a court room drama aiming for a realistic representation. The color palette is muted, the lawyering is on the more realistic end of Hollywood lawyering, there are "medical professional testimonies" to counter-balance the catholic voodoo drivel.

It is all these aims towards making the movie realistic that then makes it incredibly aggravating because the movie blatantly favors the "demons are totally real" nutcase approach and tries to convince you, the viewer, that demons are totally real. The problem being that no, they aren't.

With movies like The Conjuring the "based on true events" lie-vertisement doesn't really matter all that much. Sure, movies like that end up benefiting charlatans such as the Warrens, but at least no one died because of them. In the case of Emily Rose, Emily Rose aka Anneliese Michel did actually die because of horrible medical negligence at the hands of religious lunatics. Taking that tragedy and turning it into "well maybe the religious lunatics were right all along" fart parade just completely rubs me the wrong way. At least in real life the crazies got sent to jail (though their sentences were fairly lenient), but the movie dares to let the crazy priest walk free (technically, they do find him guilty, but because of reasons he is free to go) AND they do this whole thing where Emily Rose is a SAINT who graciously agreed to die of "demonic possession" so as to show all mankind once and for all that demons are real. No, you pustulent rectal warts, Emily/Anneliese wasn't possessed, she was a sick girl who was killed by stupid, bad people.

The film trying so hard to appear as realistic retelling of the events is really what makes the whole thing so aggravating. Demons don't exist, therefore the whole exercise is pointless. You can't just rewrite history and claim that a gross medical misdiagnosis followed by voodoo treatment was actually a great and wonderful thing because of supernatural reasons.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

I have a masters' degree in linguistics, and can not only readily tell an Irish from an English accent, I can tell a Yorkshire from a Bristol accent, which part of London you come from, and why the Aberdonian brogue is much more pleasing to the ear than the more guttural and plosive Glaswegian dialects. I also speak Spanish and French and can get by with Portuguese and Italian well enough. I'm currently teaching myself Gaeilge.

When I say, "but Americans," I really shouldn't have to make it any more clear that I'm generalizing.

Srs bzness

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular

Srs bzness

Or you could just not misgender a poster who has asked you not to... That would be cool too...

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Srs bzness

Or you could just not misgender a poster who has asked you not to... That would be cool too...

The joke phrase 'duder' was me misgendering someone? If so, I apologize to atomika, I don't know them and typing that phrase wasn't meant as an insult.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So I watched Riddick earlier this month.

Technically the last movie I watched in 2014, and the first movie I watched in 2015.

I just wish it was a better movie.

I really liked the first one, and this feels like a worse version of it.

If Riddick was the first movie, instead of Pitch Black, I doubt it would have been a hit.

Anyway, due to this thread I'll be watching It Follows and/or The Witch this week.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    atomika isn't a dude

she is however a :bro:

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    We watched Enemy last night

oh my god

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    So I watched Riddick earlier this month.

Technically the last movie I watched in 2014, and the first movie I watched in 2015.

I just wish it was a better movie.

I really liked the first one, and this feels like a worse version of it.

If Riddick was the first movie, instead of Pitch Black, I doubt it would have been a hit.

Anyway, due to this thread I'll be watching It Follows and/or The Witch this week.

Are those out yet? It Follows sounds like it has a pretty nice setup.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I guess Sony doesn't care if anyone else gets blown up seeing as The Interview is coming to UK cinemas soon

• Options
    Oakey wrote: »
    I guess Sony doesn't care if anyone else gets blown up seeing as The Interview is coming to UK cinemas soon

Non-American people aren't real people, silly.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    We watched Enemy last night

oh my god

Aaand? Good or no?

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    First A Clockwork Orange gets banned in the UK, then The Interview doesn't get banned. The UK just can't catch a break

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    This is probably an unpopular opinion in these parts but man Pacific Rim is just turrible. Wonderbread bland guy, some bland stock characters and Charlie from always sunny. DotD '04 style exposition dump opening told a better a story, I get that they wanted to cram all that backstory in because their setting wasn't 'at the beginning' so to speak but surely they could just slip things in in media res rather than dropping it all in front. Wonderbread's brother dies before you can even tell which is which. The fights are ok I guess, it just feels like CGI to me still and not really engrossing in a way animation would hide. Also perfunctory kung fu anime hair japanese girl love interest. bleh

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    This is probably an unpopular opinion in these parts but man Pacific Rim is just turrible. Wonderbread bland guy, some bland stock characters and Charlie from always sunny. DotD '04 style exposition dump opening told a better a story, I get that they wanted to cram all that backstory in because their setting wasn't 'at the beginning' so to speak but surely they could just slip things in in media res rather than dropping it all in front. Wonderbread's brother dies before you can even tell which is which. The fights are ok I guess, it just feels like CGI to me still and not really engrossing in a way animation would hide. Also perfunctory kung fu anime hair japanese girl love interest. bleh

but Mako wasn't a love interest. that was one of the best parts of the movie. her and Raleigh were just friends.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I'm mostly with you.

It's a forgettable and utterly bland movie with one decent fight scene in the middle. And even that scene and all the others are a big cocktease.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I dunno, there were a lot of weird scenes where I'm not sure if they were trying to show she was a fangirl for this older guy or what. Mostly from her intro til the kung fu scene.

• Options
    I know there's mixed reaction to PR here, it was good but could have been so much better. All the characters outside of Stringer Bell and the dog lacked any charm and were one dimensional which made the human parts booooring and filled with a terrible american accent, and they gimped all the other awesome robots in favor of the stupid generic one.

But despite all that, the sound was amazing with a great theme tune, the Hong Kong fight was great, and the opening history dump up to the suiting up and leaving the Thunderdrome is a great piece of film. And it actually did deliver on big robot/monster fights and seeing them happen, as opposed to another recent stupid dumb monster movie that was stupid and dumb and had a butt for a face.

If you never saw Real Steel check that out, I liked it more because the leads were much more likable although there is a big drop off from skyscraper robots to boxing ring robots. But it's got charisma out the butt and a real sense everyone was having fun with the idea.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I liked the Australian Dad in PR.

"We can either sit here and do nothing or we can grab those flare guns and go out there and do something really stupid. "

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    He was good, he just didn't have enough screentime (and wasn't even Australian which is like what in today's cinema but good on him for taking one of their jobs!).

Him and Stringer Bell should have super synced and then Striker Eureka got blond hair and totally beat up one of those kaijus.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    He was good, he just didn't have enough screentime (and wasn't even Australian which is like what in today's cinema but good on him for taking one of their jobs!).

Him and Stringer Bell should have super synced and then Striker Eureka got blond hair and totally beat up one of those kaijus.

I wish he got more work, I've been a fan of his since I watched The Unit.

• Options
    I know he's in Sabotage, but that would mean I'd have to watch Sabotage.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I know there's mixed reaction to PR here, it was good but could have been so much better. All the characters outside of Stringer Bell and the dog lacked any charm and were one dimensional which made the human parts booooring and filled with a terrible american accent, and they gimped all the other awesome robots in favor of the stupid generic one.

But despite all that, the sound was amazing with a great theme tune, the Hong Kong fight was great, and the opening history dump up to the suiting up and leaving the Thunderdrome is a great piece of film. And it actually did deliver on big robot/monster fights and seeing them happen, as opposed to another recent stupid dumb monster movie that was stupid and dumb and had a butt for a face.

If you never saw Real Steel check that out, I liked it more because the leads were much more likable although there is a big drop off from skyscraper robots to boxing ring robots. But it's got charisma out the butt and a real sense everyone was having fun with the idea.

See, my friend and I, when we saw it, thought Stringer Bell was the worst part of the movie. And he is a huge fan of The Wire, while I hadn't seen it yet. Maybe it's a matter of expectations though, which follows through for the rest of the movie.

I mean, he already thought Stringer Bell was awesome because of The Wire, and then sees him playing a boring character with zero charisma, and was disappointed. For me, I was expecting a fucking awesome giant robot movie, and merely got a very good giant robot movie.

I watched it once in the theatre when it was released, and then once more when it got a home release. I stand by my opinion that it's just a very technically well made blockbuster that is held back by a few blah characters and actors. I am happy with it, though, because my reaction at the end was not, as it is with something like Bay's Transformers, "I wish I hadn't watched that, and I will be careful to not make the same mistake twice," but instead, "That wasn't enough. I want more."

If a sequel can fix some of first movie's biggest problems, I will look forward to that as well.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
This discussion has been closed.