Options

[PA Comic] Friday, November 7, 2014 - Economaniacal

2»

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Meanwhile in Japan...
    Screenshot_1.jpg?resize=640%2C228

(And that's when they make stuff available at all and don't just block us from accessing the pages and ban us for using Steam keys bought from other sites)

Yeah, we pay 89.99 US (so about 104 bucks) for that aswell so its not like we are much better off...

On the bright side, last i checked japan has vastly superior internet to us, so you have that going for you...

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    The first time I noticed us Aussies paying more for games was back in the 80's (great memories of the humble Commodore 64) when the Aussie dollar was only worth about US60c.

Since then the dollar has fluctuated but the pricing disparity has remained the same, with us paying about 60% more in nominal terms for games than folks in the US (the "real" difference fluctuating with the exchange rate obviously).

It probably just became a case of "what the market will bare".

I have to admit I have no problem paying AU$100 for a (good) game that has hundreds of person-years of development invested in it (like say a GTA or a TES game), compared to the $30 I used to pay in the 80's for a game that might have 2 person-years invested in its development, but yeah I'd still rather pay less if possilbe :-)

• Options
    DraxonicDraxonic Registered User regular
    Have you guys seen the SteamPrices.com website? (I'm in no way affiliated)

https://www.steamprices.com/au/topripoffs

• Options
    WiseHackerWiseHacker Registered User new member
    DexOZ wrote: »
    Since then the dollar has fluctuated but the pricing disparity has remained the same, with us paying about 60% more in nominal terms for games than folks in the US (the "real" difference fluctuating with the exchange rate obviously).

Hehehe. I remember a few years back, the dollar was above parity with the US but the game pricing was still the same. But when it started to go back down, retailers were making announcements that they had to up their prices due to the falling dollar.

Needless to say, their plans did not go ahead for obvious reasons.