As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii U - THIS THREAD IS DOOMED! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Look, 99% of the time my kids want to play Mario Chase or Ghost Hunters (yes that's what I call it)

And there's no reason a pro controller couldn't be used on those games

It seems like you're just going to confuse your user base if you go "3 of the 12 games work with the Pro Controller, but the other 9 don't." It's easier to just start everybody off on Wii Remotes when they're compatible with everything.

The Zelda one requires Motion+ and the Metroid one requires Motion+ and a nunchuck

Pro Controllers can work in every game that standard wii remotes do (and they could definitely make Metroid work with standard third person shooting controls) (also I don't much care for the Zelda game so whatever on that, they could probably make joystick swipes mimic sword swipes but that would just highlight how bland it is)

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Yeah but it's a bit weird to only half support something.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    According to Polygon, Loot Crate has a subscription deal with Nintendo for amiibo. It's for the first ten so far and the next set will be added over time. Link here.

It isn't ready just yet, but you can get on the wait list. Should make getting more than one a bit easier to swallow, or a fun way to gift them to somebody.

Okay, the chart got me. I laughed.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    According to Polygon, Loot Crate has a subscription deal with Nintendo for amiibo. It's for the first ten so far and the next set will be added over time. Link here.

It isn't ready just yet, but you can get on the wait list. Should make getting more than one a bit easier to swallow, or a fun way to gift them to somebody.

Ugh that's a pretty dumb chart. Mario Kart 8 supports a lot more Amiibos for costumes, and Hyrule Warriors supports every Amiibo, just getting a minor bonus weapon or item. Nintendo was really clear about this during the Direct...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Ugh that's a pretty dumb chart. Mario Kart 8 supports a lot more Amiibos for costumes, and Hyrule Warriors supports every Amiibo, just getting a minor bonus weapon or item. Nintendo was really clear about this during the Direct...

This was the part that got me.

Amiibos_zps4e97b459.png

• Options

Nintendo has hardly been clear in general though, they were handing out charts (that the article's is clearly based on) pretty frequently each time adding maybe one or two more figures and I don't think they ever did a full one representing the announcements in the direct

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Depending on your definition of "support" - you can argue Hyrule Warriors only supports the Link Amiibo, as that's the only one with a definitive unique function. Every other one has the generic rupee or random weapon award that feels well... useless.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Depending on your definition of "support" - you can argue Hyrule Warriors only supports the Link Amiibo, as that's the only one with a definitive unique function. Every other one has the generic rupee or random weapon award that feels well... useless.

I like that, though. Gives me a reason to buy Amiibos like Little Mac or Captain Falcon. Obviously not just for this one case, but for the hope that a lot more games moving forward will give small bonuses for every figure instead of just supporting a couple.

They need that kind of minor support for every figure in the future. I hope there's something similar in Captain Toad and Yoshi's Wooly World.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

I like that, though. Gives me a reason to buy Amiibos like Little Mac or Captain Falcon. Obviously not just for this one case, but for the hope that a lot more games moving forward will give small bonuses for every figure instead of just supporting a couple.

They need that kind of minor support for every figure in the future. I hope there's something similar in Captain Toad and Yoshi's Wooly World.

Captain Toad in a Captain Falcon costume.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    So Mario Kart 8 DLC is this week. Does DLC auto download on the Wii U? The only other game I bothered to purchase DLC for was Hyrule Warriors, and I can't remember if I had to manually grab the first DLC pack when it released.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    It auto-downloads, though in Hyrule Warriors I had to quit and restart the game a couple times for the DLC activation to register.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I thought it was live as of a couple days ago? I tried from my phone to see if the smash bros preorder would count and it didn't seem to. Now they're not preordering that game online it seems. I think I'm actually going to pass on this. I don't want to spend ~120 bucks on games and not have smash, even if it's an awesome deal.

I don't think I've ever seen any store include preorders for a B2G1F promo.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, I could see pre-orders being abused in a situation like that. Like, people would put it in and then cancel the pre-order once they got the free stuff.

Suffer not the customer.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I cannot wait for Thursday. My whole family are waiting with baited breath for the dlc to hit. New tracks...*drool*

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular

Little Mac should be playable in Captain Toad.

Since he can't jump.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Looks like Golden Sun The Lost Age is finally coming to Virtual Console this week in Europe. Here's hoping soon for NA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C90uztenuGE

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3070/p/431
    Version 5.3.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:
    Changes to System Settings:

amiibo Settings has been added to System Settings. amiibo Settings allows users to register an amiibo owner and nickname, delete data written to an amiibo by supported software, or reset an amiibo

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I bought a White Wii VC controller pro from Amazon and the D pad did not work on it. It was under the Nintendo warranty but they were perm out of stock and for some reason they couldn't repair it.

I was lucky and the company I bought it from on Amazon will refund my money, but very poor performance on Nintendo's part.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Ok, so could someone explain what an amiibo does for Smash Bros?

It gives you an even harder NPC to fight that learns over time? Is that right? I'm really confused of what their function is

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

It gives you an even harder NPC to fight that learns over time? Is that right? I'm really confused of what their function is

Their function is to cut Nintendo in on a nice meaty slice of this Skylanders/Infinity pie.

I honestly don't know and I'm being an ass.

• Options

From Nintendo's own amiibo site

z6adfaxmu8o2.jpg

You basically scan in your amiibo and train it. It'll learn from you and other opponents. Not much else for Smash really. It was obviously a rushed addition to the game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I bought a White Wii VC controller pro from Amazon and the D pad did not work on it. It was under the Nintendo warranty but they were perm out of stock and for some reason they couldn't repair it.

I was lucky and the company I bought it from on Amazon will refund my money, but very poor performance on Nintendo's part.

Amazon and Nintendo got a whole lot of drama.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    B2ITm15CAAAC7dI.png:orig

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Dammit, I was JUST about to post that. But yeah, the Japanese Nintendo twitter account posted that as the 3rd wave of figures. No date given (I'm guessing January/February).

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    I want that Shulk, but I'm afraid how it's actually going to end up looking like.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Eeeeeeeee. I was so worried we weren't going to get the third-party characters. Here's hoping Pac-Man pops up as well.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    No butter sticks. Nice.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Luma's support is actually kinda charming in the way it's molded.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Luma's support is actually kinda charming in the way it's molded.

Sheik's doesn't look too bad to me either, better than a stick straight up the bum.

Too bad about them cheaping out on Ike's melty Ragnell.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Third wave?

What is the second wave?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Third wave?

What is the second wave?

szfohx85m49h.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Actually those are the fancy ones without the production stands. Here's the real second wave, straight from Amazon.

iOZleHt.jpg

• Options
    Well yeah, it was the best I could do in such short notice :P

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

So far the only game that stores save data on amiibos is Smash Bros, but this could be a bit of an issue with other games come out.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It makes sense, and good to know that's the design they went with.

However, it just makes me with the Amiibos could be used to transfer custom fighters/configurations more. Like store someone's Mii, or their stats, or even their name + controller config, or their equipment/custom fighter moves.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Huh, when they initially pitched amiibos they said amiibos that store data would be tied to the game they were made for, if they set it up so any game can rewrite data now that's actually pretty great

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Whelp. Looks like I have to wait for Set 3 before there's any Amiibos I actually want to buy.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I really wish they had gone back to the drawing board with the poses rather than those stupid wads of plastic. It's gonna be a major factor in determining which characters I get.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Looks like Best Buy's going to have some pretty good deals this Black Friday. Including a 3D World/Nintendoland Wii U bundle, plus Smash and DKCTF for $360

kr8ffua3wugl.jpg

http://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/?category=video+games3

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA