As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shipping paintings from South Africa to US

GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
My fiance is friends with an artist in South Africa and wanted to commission a few pieces from him. Does anyone have any experience with shipping something like that and could give us some advice on the best and cheapest ways to ship it? Everything I look up seams to be very expensive to ship and I'm sure I must be missing something but I can't seam to find much. Also does anyone know if there would be any issues with customs or anything else that might pop up unexpectedly?

Edit - The art is 5 paintings on canvas roughly 3 ft by 2 ft each.

steam_sig.png
Ghlinn on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What kind of art are we talking? Paintings? Sculpture? Some kind of interactive exhibit that requires a room at least five hundred square feet large?

• Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    Sorry, 5 paintings on canvas, about 3 ft by 2 ft.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    You should be fine as far as customs goes-

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/360/~/importing-personal-and-commercial-original-works-of-art,-paintings,-drawings,
    Original works of art (i.e. paintings, drawings, pastels, collages and decorative plaques) with or without their frames are duty-free under Chapter 97 in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS).

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ghlinn wrote: »
    Sorry, 5 paintings on canvas, about 3 ft by 2 ft.

I could imagine that costing somewhere in the ballpark of $50-100 to ship.

Can they be rolled up and sent via tubes? That would drastically reduce the shipping amount down to the $50 mark. Otherwise it's a large 3ft x 2ft x 1 ft box is about $10 itself, that would probably fit 5 paintings in it with some packing material. I'd estimate from south africa to the US via post would run about $30-80 depending on their weight.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    If its stretched canvas it can be taken off the frame, rolled up, and shipped in a tube. Obviously taking it off the frame/rolling it might be best done by someone whose done it before.

Then it can be put back on a frame (by an experienced person!) and hung as you like.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    If its stretched canvas it can be taken off the frame, rolled up, and shipped in a tube. Obviously taking it off the frame/rolling it might be best done by someone whose done it before.

Then it can be put back on a frame (by an experienced person!) and hung as you like.

I am sorry to differ, but rolling a canvas painting is a very risky move. If these are oil paintings, there is a good chance that they will crack, and there is nothing that can be done to undo this once you get them. You should actually talk to an experience artist about the best way to ship them. You must also consider the drying time, it normally takes 6 months for a painting to completely dry, so it is good idea to protect it against dust during transportation.

Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Yeah, if it can't be rolled up, it sounds like it's going to be pretty costly. SA to US is a fairly expensive routing. I'd probably tell the artist to check with DHL, FedEx, or UPS, depending on what's closest/easiest for them, have them pay for it from that side (sending things on collect basis can add fees), and wire them the money. I tend to think DHL would be the best bet.
    If it's really hard to find someone, PM me, and I will give you the name and contact info for our partners in SA, with the warning that we usually only handle business-to-business shipments, and that for something that small, it will not be any cheaper than whoever else you might find.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I send my paintings all over the world from the UK. I pack each one between 1" thick layers of polystyrene - one inside the stretched frame, one on top of the painting, one underneath it, then wrap the whole thing in layers of bubble wrap, then brown paper. I've never been able to find boxes the right size. It costs lots. I paint in acrylic, so could take the canvas off the frames but haven't done so. So far, I've not had a painting damaged since using the polystyrene. Before that, I used just bubble wrap and had 2 paintings damaged in the post, one tore and the frame broke.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."