As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ferguson Thread

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    Also I don't like the idea of incentives for convictions. At the end of the day, it should just be their job to prosecute, but they should not be rewarded for putting people away.

That's a system that could quickly grow to be abused.

That is exactly how the system works now. The only thing a prosecutor cares about is his win/loss ratio. That's a lot of why they push for plea bargains so much. No risk of a loss.

Except that's not how DA's treat police officers, with rare exceptions they are above the law because they are police officers, not that it's too risky to prosecute them.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/hannity-favorite-witness-40-in-wilson-grand-jury-is-a-liar-and-convicted-felon-report/

Well I'm glad a person the FBI claimed was probably lying in her testimony was allowed to testify twice.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    http://www.fergusoncity.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/406

Ferguson's ward map seems reasonable to me. Not even close to what you'd use as a gerrymandering example.

And the insinuation that the people in charge live elsewhere is false. Ferguson, like all local governments, has residency requirements.

So does Congress. Rich people can afford multiple dwellings and are allowed relative impunity to state which one they "live" in for tax and voting purposes.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/hannity-favorite-witness-40-in-wilson-grand-jury-is-a-liar-and-convicted-felon-report/

Well I'm glad a person the FBI claimed was probably lying in her testimony was allowed to testify twice.
    Oh, it's the crazy racist journal person.

I had maintained a small flicker of hope that nobody had actually taken this person seriously but thank you for extinguishing that.

• Options
    Not only taken seriously but allowed to testify twice! FUCKING TWICE! And neither time did the DA I dunno mention she herself was a huge attention seeker who had previously attempted to be linked to two separate abduction cases!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Wait, I didn't see witness #40 in the NPR witness breakdown chart, so I assumed they took the journal but didn't actually invite her to testify.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Not only taken seriously but allowed to testify twice! FUCKING TWICE! And neither time did the DA I dunno mention she herself was a huge attention seeker who had previously attempted to be linked to two separate abduction cases!

I can't imagine we need any further proof that the DA threw this case, but this is certainly another nail in this coffin. If you're legitimately trying to win an indictment, this is the last person you want anywhere near your grand jury.
    She also posted a photo Sept. 13 on a pro-Wilson Facebook page of the slain teen’s body lying in the street, captioned: “Michael Brown already received justice. So please, stop asking for it.”
    McElroy first contacted police Sept. 11, four weeks after Wilson shot and killed the 18-year-old Brown during a confrontation – and after the officer’s version of events had been described in media accounts.
    McElroy was interviewed Oct. 22 – the day after the St. Louis Post-Dispatch published a lengthy account of Wilson’s version of events — at the FBI field office by an agent and two federal prosecutors.
    She claimed she had driven 30 miles from her home to Ferguson to visit a high school friend she hadn’t seen in 26 years, but had no cell phone and an incorrect address, so she stopped to smoke a cigarette and ask directions from a black man standing beneath a tree.
    “So you are posting racist things online and you are telling us, you know, and you are telling us, you know, your account and then there are videos that doesn’t show your car,” the special agent said. “And then there is a map that shows you couldn’t (have) left the way you left from… But, obviously, we find out what people’s motivations are when you say you posted things online that are racist and you come in here and tell us an account that supports Darren Wilson… You raised money for Darren Wilson.”
    McElroy testified under oath to the grand jury that she had not been looking for a black former classmate but was actually in Ferguson to learn more about African-American culture by striking up conversations with random black people she met.

“Well Im gonna take my random drive to Florisant,” she wrote in the journal. “Need to understand the Black race better so I stop calling Blacks N*****s and Start calling them People.”

She admitted that her sworn testimony no doubt contained information she had read online about the case

Totally legit. Maybe the DA forgot in which town he was supposed to be the prosecutor and in which town he was supposed to be the defense attorney?

Oh..
    she also testified that she had suffered from memory problems since suffering serious head injuries in a 2001 car wreck.

What a fucking circus.

Cog on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Guess which news network has been constantly citing Witness 40 as having given crucial testimony which corroborates and lends more weight to Wilson's story?

I'll give you a hint, it starts with "F" and ends with "ox News."

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    I still don't understand why people would riot given the totally fair and impartial justice system clearly and totally exonerated fine upstanding hero supercop Officer Wilson, justice was done, racism is over :tell_me_more:

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Andrew Hawkins on his wearing a protest t-shirt on the field:

(emphasis mine)
    "I was taught that justice is a right that every American should have. Also justice should be the goal of every American. I think that's what makes this country. To me, justice means the innocent should be found innocent. It means that those who do wrong should get their due punishment. Ultimately, it means fair treatment. So a call for justice shouldn't offend or disrespect anybody. A call for justice shouldn't warrant an apology.

"To clarify, I utterly respect and appreciate every police officer that protects and serves all of us with honesty, integrity and the right way. And I don't think those kind of officers should be offended by what I did. My mom taught me my entire life to respect law enforcement. I have family, close friends that are incredible police officers and I tell them all the time how they are much braver than me for it. So my wearing a T-shirt wasn't a stance against every police officer or every police department. My wearing the T-shirt was a stance against wrong individuals doing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons to innocent people.

Unfortunately, my mom also taught me just as there are good police officers, there are some not-so-good police officers that would assume the worst of me without knowing anything about me for reasons I can’t control. She taught me to be careful and be on the lookout for those not-so-good police officers because they could potentially do me harm and most times without consequences. Those are the police officers that should be offended.

Word.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/12/mcculloch_i_knew_some_witnesses_were_lying_to_the_ferguson_grand_jury.php

McCulloch knew witnesses were committing perjury, decided to let them testify anyways because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    My job is not to get an indictment. My job is to seek the truth and to seek justice and do what is right and what's appropriate in there, and that's what we did in this case and all other cases.

y'know, by putting people who you know are lying on the stand. that's how you get to truth

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    That's more than just unethical, right? Or is a grand jury just that meaningless?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Wait does he seriously not know that a grand jury is to seek the indictment and the trial is where that whole truth thing comes up?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Of course he knows. Just like he knows he isn't allowed to allow witnesses to lie on the stand and like he knows he isn't allowed to let his staff lie to the jury.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    I'm going to try this strategy the next time I'm accused of doing a bad job at work.

"It's not my job to answer questions for people! I'm here for the truth and that's what I do everyday!"

I'll be fired within a week.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Wait what the actual fuck

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    I bet that asshole let every witness testify in the narrative.

Not only does it allow bullshit to be presented to the jury it keeps the attorney from being in any trouble because it's all on the witness.

It's generally done with defendants who want to testify because attorneys cannot prevent them from doing so.

• Options
    BigJoeM wrote: »

Not only does it allow bullshit to be presented to the jury it keeps the attorney from being in any trouble because it's all on the witness.

It's generally done with defendants who want to testify because attorneys cannot prevent them from doing so.

From everything presented about this GJ he basically dumped the entire case without instruction to a grand jury and gave them the wrong law to start so they had all but no choice to find for the police officer.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

From everything presented about this GJ he basically dumped the entire case without instruction to a grand jury and gave them the wrong law to start so they had all but no choice to find for the police officer.

We should've all gone up and testified.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

We should've all gone up and testified.

"What were you doing in Ferguson?"

"I figured a black man was about to be shot by a white police officer and you guys were going to let him get away with it, so I should be there to witness it."

Look that's no less stupid than "Going down to meet some black people so I can stop calling them N words."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    There are no words

i literally have no words for this

• Options
    Oh hey I found some words

"My job is to seek the truth" even if it means lying to the jury and knowingly allowing other people to lie to the jury

how the fuck does this shitheel still have a job

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Oh hey I found some words

"My job is to seek the truth" even if it means lying to the jury and knowingly allowing other people to lie to the jury

how the fuck does this shitheel still have a job
    It's his job to seek the truth, he's not required to find it or present it should he do so.
    The important thing is that he knew they were lying, or at least thought he should try to find out if they were.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    the truth he seeks is that cops are above the law and dead black kids don't mean shit all

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'm actually surprised he is talking about this given usual ethical rules for lawyers

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised he is talking about this given usual ethical rules for lawyers

Not if he thinks he won't get negative consequences from it. Is he in danger of getting disbarred for this?

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    There is a difference between what we all know happened, and admitting to suborning purjery on TV.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Not if he thinks he won't get negative consequences from it. Is he in danger of getting disbarred for this?

I think he's operating under the same principle as Bull Connor. His constituency are the local racists, so fuck DC.

Worth noting that, after setting the dogs on the Freedom Marchers, Bull Connor was elected as President of the Alabama Public Service Commission, where he remained until 1972. Being a racist asshole in a land full of racist assholes is good business.

Which is why I am hoping, in this go-around, the Justice Department puts some of these motherfuckers in prison.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That... might be one of the most ballsy things I've ever seen in my life. The sheer arrogance it takes to come out and say, "Yeah, I put liars on the stand to get my way. What are you going to do about it?" is mind-boggling.

Fuck that guy.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    That... might be one of the most ballsy things I've ever seen in my life. The sheer arrogance it takes to come out and say, "Yeah, I put liars on the stand to get my way. What are you going to do about it?" is mind-boggling.

Fuck that guy.

Don't forget, he also insinuates that if he didn't, the big bad media would have gone after him for not putting everybody on. He's playing off to his base that the media is in for a Anti-Wilson conspiracy, so this is just this poor, beleaguered public servant's attempt at circumventing that attack from the nasty ol' liberals, even if it means putting known liars on the stand. He just couldn't help it, you see.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Good thing he isn't a lawyer. Or at least, all evidence points to such, barring eyewitness testimony.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Doesn't really matter til the Feds get involved though does it? It's also against the rules for the police to shoot a fleeing man.

• Options
    Shooting a guy in broad daylight and then manufacturing a story about it that would justify the shooting if it were true is bad, but different. What this guy did is closer to if Wilson shot Brown and then went on the air to say, "Yeah I shot him because he was black. He wasn't armed and wasn't fighting me. Come at me, bro."

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    http://nypost.com/2014/12/20/2-nypd-cops-shot-execution-style-in-brooklyn/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

So apparently this happened.

2 cops killed by a dude who then killed himself saying it was "justice". Sigh, not surprised something like this eventually happened even though I was hoping it wouldn't.

Not to say I'm making light up the lives lost but man am I not looking forward to people trying to exploit this.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Unlike police shootings, that is an isolated incident.

Still a sad one, though.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    http://nypost.com/2014/12/20/2-nypd-cops-shot-execution-style-in-brooklyn/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

2 cops killed by a dude who then killed himself saying it was "justice". Sigh, not surprised something like this eventually happened even though I was hoping it wouldn't.

Not to say I'm making light up the lives lost but man am I not looking forward to people trying to exploit this.

Another story about the shooting appears in the New York Times, except without any of the Post's details about the shooter's identity and motive.

I'm not saying the Post's account is false, but it is the Post. Playing to reader's prejudices and snap judgments is their business model.

Edit: A link would be helpful I suppose.

Hachface on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    "Gunman kills self" is completely different from "Cop goes free, no indictment, raises hundreds of thousands of dollars, and is praised as a hero by right wing media."

Both these things are wrong. Only one of these sides is actually being supported.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    So did those dead police officers ever do anything bad or illegal when they were teenagers and did they ever take photos of themselves whilst gangsta posturing? I just think that is a relevant inquiry before we all assume they were both innocent angels.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hachface wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Another story about the shooting appears in the New York Times, except without any of the Post's details about the shooter's identity and motive.

I'm not saying the Post's account is false, but it is the Post. Playing to reader's prejudices and snap judgments is their business model.

Edit: A link would be helpful I suppose.

Yeah I'm going to wait. Because I'm now getting reports that he killed his girlfriend beforehand too.

Which makes him sound generally unstable.

This discussion has been closed.