As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ferguson Thread

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I feel for the families of the officers, but let's be honest here. If the police decide to adopt the tactics of an occupying army, they are going to be treated like one.
    "Sure, I feel for the families, but they had it coming. "

That's just sleazy.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Look, maybe I misunderstood your intent. This is a highly emotional issue, and I'm a bit of fuck when it comes to that. To me, what you're saying is that the corruption of the cops will inevitability lead to them being murdered, which is their own fault, which seems a super shitty thing to say when we have no idea if the cops involved were even corrupt.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I am extremely worried and concerned about this, especially the Police response being immensely hostile to protestors and the Mayor. It has every element required to turn into a much worse incident at any moment now. All it will need is another cop shooting or perhaps another unarmed black being killed by a much more paranoid and aggressive police force and it could just go full ferguson again (but in NY).

Every element is now in place.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    It's a super shitty situation, and I hope it boils over.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I am extremely worried and concerned about this, especially the Police response being immensely hostile to protestors and the Mayor. It has every element required to turn into a much worse incident at any moment now. All it will need is another cop shooting or perhaps another unarmed black being killed by a much more paranoid and aggressive police force.

Every element is now in place.

It does look like we're headed toward a police riot.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    You mean cools over, right? Boiling over is a phrase that means escalating to violence.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    You mean cools over, right? Boiling over is a phrase that means escalating to violence.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Just chills the fuck out.

• Options

How will it though? The NY police department is escalating it as they blame the Mayor and many others are calling for the Mayor to resign, attacks on Al Sharpton, Obama and just about everyone else. If nothing else the underlying racist anger and sentiment has been galvanised and given a pair of martyrs now (though are both officers dead or just shot?). There is a tangible symbol to hang their problems on, where before it was just a pair of unarmed black men killed and given no justice - but now they have a "But you see, these two cops were killed proving how awful these protesters were!".

Those cops are going to be looking for revenge as well and any dialog that could have been established on giving justice to the two men killed is going to be impossible. It's an incredibly scary looking situation, especially when I read articles like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2882169/Bill-Blasio-charged-murder-Hundreds-attack-New-York-City-Mayor-having-blood-hands-two-police-officers-ambushed-killed.html

Some of the rhetoric on display and the officers actions are god damned terrifying to me. They indicate immense anger and that it is spiralling this badly out of control shows me there is no leadership on display anywhere.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    The entire US justice system needs to change. Police need to know that if they engage in criminal activity it will be prosecuted. Police need to go back to serving and protecting the communities they are in.

Unfortunately, there is no real national control over this stuff, so in many communities (like Ferguson), the police have been changing in the opposite direction... More as occupiers enforcing order than accountable civilian officers.

All these deaths on both "sides" are stupid and counterproductive, because policing isnt supposed to be about civilians vs cops... Its supposed to be cops who are members of the community...one side only.

As far as how to do this? Sadly most of my ideas assume the opposite of the current political situation right now in the US... Federal oversight over policing to ensure that all districts have the same goals and focus. Increased government funding of stations so we stop all the nonsense where police are funding themselves by grabbing innocent people's stuff. Have police officers be from the community they serve in some sort of racially balanced way. Reform the judicial system to give officers a fair shake, as opposed to just presuming them innocent regardless of facts.

I get that that's all commie nonsense that wouldn't fly in America.... But the alternative that's staring us down is more of that occupying force mentality, the need for more military gear to keep officers safe from the community, and general horribleness.

Maybe someone needs to start talking about this in the political arena... Or reforming the whole poitical system so that this kind of necessary change can actually be feasible.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Yeah, that's what I meant. Just chills the fuck out.

Unfortunately when that happens everything will revert to the status quo before Ferguson.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    B5WZNxNCYAAIW8h.jpg:large

literally.

so, if they are a wartime police department then they must be at war with someone

who are they at war with exactly

is it black people

or maybe the civil government

hope nobody gave them tanks or whatever, because i think that makes them an occupying force

• Options
    Statements like that show a complete lack of leadership here. How on earth is any police department ever allowed to say something like that?

• Options
    Statements like that show a complete lack of leadership here. How on earth is any police department ever allowed to say something like that?

because they are all above the law

• Options
    B5WZNxNCYAAIW8h.jpg:large

literally.

so, if they are a wartime police department then they must be at war with someone

who are they at war with exactly

is it black people

or maybe the civil government

hope nobody gave them tanks or whatever, because i think that makes them an occupying force

Yet they hate it when oppressed minorities do anything like this.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Both of the officers are dead. They were shot and pronounced dead shortly after being transported. The shooter is also dead, after committing suicide. He also shot his girlfriend earlier in the day, she survived from what I understand (most news reports seem to gloss over that).

Edit: in response to @Aegeri‌

Invisible on
  • Options

How will it though? The NY police department is escalating it as they blame the Mayor and many others are calling for the Mayor to resign, attacks on Al Sharpton, Obama and just about everyone else. If nothing else the underlying racist anger and sentiment has been galvanised and given a pair of martyrs now (though are both officers dead or just shot?). There is a tangible symbol to hang their problems on, where before it was just a pair of unarmed black men killed and given no justice - but now they have a "But you see, these two cops were killed proving how awful these protesters were!".

Those cops are going to be looking for revenge as well and any dialog that could have been established on giving justice to the two men killed is going to be impossible. It's an incredibly scary looking situation, especially when I read articles like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2882169/Bill-Blasio-charged-murder-Hundreds-attack-New-York-City-Mayor-having-blood-hands-two-police-officers-ambushed-killed.html

Some of the rhetoric on display and the officers actions are god damned terrifying to me. They indicate immense anger and that it is spiralling this badly out of control shows me there is no leadership on display anywhere.

I can hope people choose reason. I can hope they choose to not kill, or hurt. That they remember they are people who can make a choice, and not automatons compelled by society to react a certain way. I can still hope for these things, even if I do not expect them.

• Options

Where does it even come from? Who said that? I can't honestly believe a police department would say something like that and whoever did wasn't immediately suspended or fired. If an officer said that here in Australia, even after the Sydney Siege, there would be a call for their head from the Prime Minister all the way down.

• Options
    I can hope people choose reason. I can hope they choose to not kill, or hurt. That they remember they are people who can make a choice, and not automatons compelled by society to react a certain way. I can still hope for these things, even if I do not expect them.

Unlikely. People may just be about to be reminded that cops will riot over civilian accountability. Which too many people forget happens.

• Options
    Reading the *shudder* DailyMail article, it doesn't look like the police have said anything. All of those quotes come from retired detectives or non-police individuals. The only action seems to be they turned their backs on the mayor at a press conference. Hardly a police riot or revolt.

I'm concerned with overreaction in regards to protestors, but I don't think we're going to see a coup or anything. Just some angry rhetoric thrown around and talking heads trying to steer the conversation.

No one lost their minds when the white guy murdered a state trooper and critical injured another trying to start a revolution a few months ago.

• Options

Where does it even come from? Who said that? I can't honestly believe a police department would say something like that and whoever did wasn't immediately suspended or fired. If an officer said that here in Australia, even after the Sydney Siege, there would be a call for their head from the Prime Minister all the way down.

it's de facto not de jure. there is not an asterisk next to every law in the books saying "*except cops" but good luck getting one to even go to trial for murder

anyways the above quote is from a statement released by the NYPD officer's union

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Reading the *shudder* DailyMail article, it doesn't look like the police have said anything. All of those quotes come from retired detectives or non-police individuals. The only action seems to be they turned their backs on the mayor at a press conference. Hardly a police riot or revolt.

I'm concerned with overreaction in regards to protestors, but I don't think we're going to see a coup or anything. Just some angry rhetoric thrown around and talking heads trying to steer the conversation.

No one lost their minds when the white guy murdered a state trooper and critical injured another trying to start a revolution a few months ago.

"Pat Lynch, president of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, said in a statement; 'That blood on the hands starts on the steps of City Hall in the office of the Mayor.'"

• Options

it's de facto not de jure. there is not an asterisk next to every law in the books saying "*except cops" but good luck getting one to even go to trial for murder

anyways the above quote is from a statement released by the NYPD officer's union

I am in such disbelief that they could issue that kind of statement.

How militarised is the NY police?

• Options
    edited December 2014

I am in such disbelief that they could issue that kind of statement.

How militarised is the NY police?

The most militarized. Former mayor Bloomberg referred to it as "the seventh-largest military in the world."

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »

"Pat Lynch, president of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, said in a statement; 'That blood on the hands starts on the steps of City Hall in the office of the Mayor.'"

Missed that. However, as a union representative over-the-top rhetoric seems to be his forte.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    NYC was on the way to becoming unlivable. Now it is one of the safest large cities in the world. I know there are questions about how much of until actually due to the police tactics used in NYC, but let's not make the NYPD out to be corrupt monsters. The achievement of policing a city of that size so thoroughly is huge.

• Options
    We should likewise not ignore their moral failures, however. They must be held accountable to the public. But that does not nor ever will justify what happened to those two officers.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    NYC was on the way to becoming unlivable. Now it is one of the safest large cities in the world. I know there are questions about how much of until actually due to the police tactics used in NYC, but let's not make the NYPD out to be corrupt monsters. The achievement of policing a city of that size so thoroughly is huge.

Nope, I'll continue to call them corrupt monsters as long as they do corrupt monstery things like spying on every mosque in the city just in case or stationing riot squads in neighborhoods just to scare the shit out of people or strangling a dude to death and standing around watching him die or boasting that they can shoot down planes now (okay, to be fair this was the mayor saying that his private military, the NYPD, had such a capability) or declaring war on (their citizenry? all citizens? the city?) I'm not sure what they're at war with but they have apparently declared war.

Dehumanized on
  • Options

It is. But making them a virtual army is going over board and doesn't do anybody any good. Also, safe for who? Is it as safe for minorities as it is for white people?

• Options
    Can we point out heinous fuckery without dehumanizing the NYPD?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Can we point out heinous fuckery without dehumanizing the NYPD?

Do we need to point out good cops exist every time someone bring up corrupt police? It's not like everyone in this thread doesn't know they exist. It's implied. No one has anything against good cops.

edit: Their union isn't doing their rep any good either, since the union is meant to speak for every cop in their jurisdiction.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Not what I meant. Painting them as monsters detracts from what they did, since these are actual people like you and me doing heinous shit, and should be held accountable accordingly.

• Options
    Sure. Every cop in NYPD who was not involved in stop and frisk is probably ok

welp, that leaves about 0 cops

• Options
    I'm not defending the NYPD. I'm just saying that these are people being super shitty, not monsters. We need to address that these are people doing atrocities. Othering them serves nothing. They must be reminded that they are people, not superheroes or monsters, and that are accountable to their fellow people.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think everyone knows how much I hate the mayor, but I agree with him on quality of life policing. The police in some cases may need to be disciplined for acting improperly, but that doesn't invalidate the strategy.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Dehumanizing language is a definite avenue of tensions ramping up, which is not something that is ever needed. The cops need to chill the fuck out and stand down.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Can someone point me to what de Blasio said about the police re. the Garner case? I'm so entirely sure that seeing those words will help me understand the police's current response.

• Options
    Disciplined for killing people? Not, you know, jailed?

I'm hoping he means legal discipline like prison.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Disciplined for killing people? Not, you know, jailed?

There are different degrees. Most officers are good. Among those who are not, the vast majority will never kill anyone. Where a death results and the officer is to blame, I think there should be a trial. I absolutely think there should have been a trial in the Garner situation.

spacekungfuman on
This discussion has been closed.