As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2014 Awards: Sorry, American Sniper, go cry on your huge pile of cash

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well for me with American Sniper its already a movie about a guy who had one lie disproven in court, and then on top of that they hollywooded up the story. It reminds me of the PBF comic about a ww2 movie in the future featuring dinosaurs and shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well for me with American Sniper its already a movie about a guy who had one lie disproven in court, and then on top of that they hollywooded up the story. It reminds me of the PBF comic about a ww2 movie in the future featuring dinosaurs and shit.

Yup, that too. It's hard to categorize all that I dislike about the movie without just screaming or banging on the keys.

PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    what the fucking fuck is this dragon movie doing where my LEGO stuff should be

Haven't seen all of the noms for Best Animated, but rottentomatos and imdb seem to suggest that Boxtrolls is the weakest film of the list.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    I swear we should just have a split topic about the deeification of that liar, it makes my blood boil every time I see a commercial for it.

"I'm willing to answer to my creator for every shot I took." WHAT ABOUT EVERY FUCKING LIE YOU TOLD ABOUT ALL THE BULLSHIT YOU DIDN'T DO?!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I don't begrudge the Song of the Sea nomination. After all it's by the same guys who made Secret of Kells, and I really liked it, so I have faith that this is a good film too.

Problem is, I will have to wait until March at the earliest, and more likely July, to confirm this, for those are its respective Irish and UK release dates. So I have to sit here wondering why a good film I watched that was unmistakably released in 2014 has been ignored.

On a similar tangent I can't see Big Hero Six until the end of the month. Release dates are messed up.

Also why are there only eight Best Film nods? I thought there were usually ten.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The rules only provide that there will be between 5 and 10. I believe it's a vote threshold or something below which films don't get a nomination... When the Academy changed the rules, they wanted to provide more space for both quirkier and more successful movies to make the cut, but they were also sensitive to the idea that there may not be 10 films in a year worthy of the category.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Selma has also received criticism for the way it portrayed Lyndon Johnson as someone who had to be wooed to the civil rights cause by MLK. It's a lot more minor than the other films' revisionism, but the Johnson family and history buffs are a bit miffed since LBJ's staunch support of civil rights even as a Southern Congressman was one of his defining features. He was a lot more of a hard core advocate for the Civil Rights Act than any of the Kennedy's.

In general, Hollywood always will gloss over history if it makes for a better story, and that's usually okay. This year is just full of examples of movies doing it badly.

The thing I don't get it is why you make Lyndon the villian when there's at least 50 public figures from the south who were actively opposed to civil rights. Like go shit on wallace no one likes that guy

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    what the fucking fuck is this dragon movie doing where my LEGO stuff should be

Haven't seen all of the noms for Best Animated, but rottentomatos and imdb seem to suggest that Boxtrolls is the weakest film of the list.

Pretty sure there's a hidden Academy bylaw that if someone goes to all the trouble to make a stop motion film, they get nominated regardless of quality.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    LBJ isn't presented as the villain in Selma, at worst he is shown as overly pragmatic. This backlash is dumb and former staffers whining about LBJ not getting enough credit in a fucking MLK biopic is ridiculous.

And the movie does shit all over Wallace because duh.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Selma getting a best picture nod but nothing else is really odd.

Need a nod to minorities but no reason to have anything else to do with the movie.

• Options
    Oscarssowhite is trending on the twitters.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular

Eh. Race is a dumb way to hand out prizes- sometimes movies just suck. I couldn't get through Selma because of the Lyndon B. Johnson nonsense, there's no reason it should get an award just for having black people in it.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    People bitching about other people bitching about Selma rather suggests that "You are entitled to your own reaction to a film, as long as it doesn't differ from my [correct] one."

If you liked it, cool, if you were annoyed by the LBJ mischaracterization, that's you're take on it and that's OK too.

-edit-

And of course, bitching about LBJ biographers and staffers bitching about it is even worse. Here are people who dedicated a major portion of their academic careers to studying him and people who were actually fucking there respectively. You really don't get to tell them what an acceptable opinion on the treatment of LBJ in a film is.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    People bitching about other people bitching about Selma rather suggests that "You are entitled to your own reaction to a film, as long as it doesn't differ from my [correct] one."

If you liked it, cool, if you were annoyed by the LBJ mischaracterization, that's you're take on it and that's OK too.

-edit-

And of course, bitching about LBJ biographers and staffers bitching about it is even worse. Here are people who dedicated a major portion of their academic careers to studying him and people who were actually fucking there respectively. You really don't get to tell them what an acceptable opinion on the treatment of LBJ in a film is.

My reaction is, "Why can't we have black actors being nominated for movies where being black isn't the focus of the role?"

But then I tried to remember all the other roles played by black actors this year where race wasn't a critical factor, and realized the Best Actor list would be:

Denzel Washington, The Equalizer
    Anthony Mackie, Captain America 2
    Kevin Hart, Ride Along
    Ice Cube, Ride Along

:confused:

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

-edit-

My reaction is, "Why can't we have black actors being nominated for movies where being black isn't the focus of the role?"

But then I tried to remember all the other roles played by black actors this year where race wasn't a critical factor, and realized the Best Actor list would be:

Kevin Hart, Ride Along
    Ice Cube, Ride Along

Ride Along clearly got robbed.

• Options
    You totally forgot Chris Rock in top 5, because you're racist.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular

-edit-

Kevin Hart, Ride Along
    Ice Cube, Ride Along

I heard that Top Five was pretty good?

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The problem with The Lego Movie is that the Academy mistook it for an absurdist tragedy in which the noble steward of order and sensibility is corrupted by the dark forces of Knowing How To Fucking Have Fun.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

-edit-

Kevin Hart, Ride Along
    Ice Cube, Ride Along

I heard that Top Five was pretty good?

This is true.

Maybe if it had more references to WWII or had a sympathetic gay character dying of AIDS to show the spiritual growth of Chris Rock's character, the Academy would have eaten it up.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Oh for the love of...the author's opinion is bad and he should feel bad for having it. There are several damn good reasons why diversity in the Academy Awards is really fucking important, and dismissing them by saying that the Oscars are 'unimportant' (protip:they are important) is a really goosey thing to do.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I liked him imagining the twitterer who broke down in tears after the noms were announced having an emotional breakdown at the grocery store when they didn't have her bread.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I think it says a lot about the kinds of movies I've been interested in lately in that I have seen none of the films nominated for best film, but all of the films nominated for best visual effects. >.>

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I think it says a lot about the kinds of movies I've been interested in lately in that I have seen none of the films nominated for best film, but all of the films nominated for best visual effects. >.>

That you enjoy splosions but not thinking, its cool you're an american/canadian.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2015
    I have seen virtually none of the noms. I'm hoping I get to catch then on video in time for the awards so I can wail about how so-and-so was robbed.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Only one of the best picture noms I want to see is Birdman and that's just for the sweet sweet edward norton fighting in his tighty whities scene.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

If it makes you feel better, I average only like two a year lately. This time, though, it was only one (Budapest) thanks to Gone Girl not getting the expected nom.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Is it shallow and unsophisticated of me to think that a lot of the Birdman praise is because Hollywood loves movies about movies and actors and screenwriters?

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Is it shallow and unsophisticated of me to think that a lot of the Birdman praise is because Hollywood loves movies about movies and actors and screenwriters?

Birdman is a movie about a play, and takes a lot of time to shit all over Hollywood movies, particularly big budget superhero movies. Birdman is getting praise because it's good, yo.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Hollywood does love movies about themselves though.

Just like writers love to write about characters who are writers.

• Options
    That whole write what you know this is obnoxious when you only seemingly know whiny twenty something writers...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    That whole write what you know this is obnoxious when you only seemingly know whiny twenty something writers...

The one I always notice is that whenever you watch TV or movies, unless someone is the nerd stereotype, none of the super-smart young people or students or anything are going into the sciences. All the super smart driven people of the script-bound world are headed into, like, journalism or something else in the arts.

shryke on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

A bunch of people did variations on this:

Matthew Mcconaughey was quoted as saying that he is fine with not being nominated, and that he thinks this year's nominees and the academy are "all white, all white, all white."

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

The one I always notice is that whenever you watch TV or movies, unless someone is the nerd stereotype, none of the super-smart young people or students or anything are going into the sciences. All the super smart driven people of the script-bound world are headed into, like, journalism or something else in the arts.

One thing I've noticed is that whenever an actor is portraying... an actor who is acting, they are always written to be a shitty actor, like, comically so.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    How does one become part of the Oscar voting committee?

• Options
    Be white
    Be old
    Be a member of the academy

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Every Academy member votes, and membership is by invitation based on your body of work - which may not necessarily be based on quantity nor quality. For example, Peter Jackson and his senior partners (Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens, Barry Osborne) became members during LOTR, at which point they had only released 3 academy-qualifying films, as are the Transformers producers.

So some people become members by being attached to high-profile movies ( hence white) or just having a lasting career (hence old).

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    The Oscars are at heart a marketing gimmick gone awry. Therefore they can often be mawkish and smug, nominating movies that the academy considers "Oscar worthy", but are really just sentimental garbage. That is why so many Biopics get the nod.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    The Academy and the Oscars are much more representations of progress in the industry than they are leaders of it. People should stop being impatient with the lagging indicators and start being impatient with the actual causes--ie., racial and gender disparities within the industry.

ACsTqqK.jpg