Options

It's our [Job] thread

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Darth, I understand the pain of that uncertainty re: job security

My dad works works for a division of the Texas DSHS and every year they're under threat of being shut down because "dirty liberal welfare fraud bootstraps" etc.

Weaver on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    If anyone has been sending good vibes my way, I want you to know (both of you) that I will not be furloughed at the end of the calendar year nor any time soon after that.

For those of you offering bloody sacrifices to our collective dark gods to render the outsourced team in India unable to meet quota on a daily basis, I want you all to know that your efforts have birthed the dark fruit which we have strived towards ...

I get to keep my job in the new year.

American Exceptionalism in action! (Is sadly what someone out there is thinking)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    For those of you offering bloody sacrifices to our collective dark gods to render the outsourced team in India unable to meet quota on a daily basis, I want you all to know that your efforts have birthed the dark fruit which we have strived towards ...

I have like... six goats left, still. I was anticipating a longer process. What the hell am I supposed to do with these?

I'll send you some recipes.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    If anyone has been sending good vibes my way, I want you to know (both of you) that I will not be furloughed at the end of the calendar year nor any time soon after that.

I am hoarding all of the reeses

FOR YOUUUUUU.....

Edit shiz man to celebrate I will MAIL you bags of the things in celebration if you want, PM me and it's done.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I am so thankful I have a job where if, hypothetically speaking, I have a bloody nose and a sneezing fit at the same time I can call in sick and know that I'm covered on time. Much easier to fall asleep with peace of mind, though the dizziness after helped a bit too.

Perfectly fine after a nap but now I need to clean up this Jackson Pollock I made on my living room wall.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

I have like... six goats left, still. I was anticipating a longer process. What the hell am I supposed to do with these?

Make chili?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    and with that I'm on vacation for 2 weeks

I'll see you in 2015

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular

Q5o8QmZ.gif

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Oh man, I discovered a nice pizza place near my new job and there's an Indian restaurant right next door.

Fuck the food go and fix Mulysa's computer, I don't pay you to be Food Gazing all the time.
    Hey, somebody showed up. They couldn't get me logged in, and they called somebody to reset the password. The password guy was at lunch, so the IT guy walked away, and said he'd do it via email. Over an hour ago. No emails.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Hmm, what?

It's 6:45, you say?

But that's when the cafeteria opens!

It's Taco Time!
    It's Taco Time!
    It's Taco-Taco-Taco Time!

Breakfast tacos that is ....

Breakfast tacos are the best! I love making vegan breakfast tacos. I usually make (what most people would probably consider) a lot and have to force myself to save some for later so that I may continue to remain upright.

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Have any of you ever had to take one of these for a job: http://www.piworldwide.com/solutions/predictive-index-system/

because I have to now. Huh.

I still don't understand what a company hopes to gain by using asinine tests like these to weed out applicants. Such BS.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I got told which government department I'm going to be working for.

I'm going to be working for the Irish IRS.

I'm here to take all your money.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Congrats you are now officially The Man.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

Change your ring tone to Tax Man by the Beatles

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oh man, you're gonna get to have fun with US shell corporations!

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Well this week has been pretty nuts, but today takes the cake. About fifteen minutes before I come in to work someone else on the team manages to break something very, very vital to our stuff actually doing the things it's supposed to do. I noticed this was broken about an hour after I arrived. So nothing was working right... and so of course a a million other little fires that had to be put out today as well. The vital thing got fixed pretty quick but it was nuts there for a while.

So yeah, I guess I have officially arrived into the world of IT. I need a drink.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    today one of my cousin's kids told me to be whatever kind of accountant makes the most money
    kid
    that will never mean Uncle Tam buys you the next gen console
    but he might buy it for himself
    Uncle Tam looks out for numero uno, kiddo

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    today one of my cousin's kids told me to be whatever kind of accountant makes the most money
    kid
    that will never mean Uncle Tam buys you the next gen console
    but he might buy it for himself
    Uncle Tam looks out for numero uno, kiddo

I think the accountants that make the most money live in pleasant tropical areas with no extradition treaties with the US.

• Options

You mean the IRiSh?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I actually don't know which accounting discipline gets you the highest wage
    I'm sure the guys in finance are up there, as usual

I'm definitely not going to try and climb the ladder on one of the Big Four because I don't quite hate myself enough
    give it time I guess?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    just finished a brutal three weeks where I basically did my job and most of my co-workers and somehow pulled it all in at the end

he totally surprised me with a bottle of bourbon as a thank you gift for the help though, which was totally unexpected

gonna have a fun two weeks off I think

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »

Q5o8QmZ.gif

@usagi is that you?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    JoeUser wrote: »

Change your ring tone to Tax Man by the Beatles Whisky in the Jar

chromdom on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    isnt there someone here that works at a solar/energy company in san franscisco or oakland?

what was the name of that company? friend in cali looking for a job and i remember awhile back their company had a lot of openings.

@MrMonroe‌ I believe?

Yeah, fucking big time.

Tons of stuff on our website; and I'm actually the one conducting interviews for the Operations Business Analyst position. We need someone who knows stats, can program in Python, and doesn't suck ass as a human being.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    We are also crewing up in sales and customer service in Kansas City, on the off chance that someone here lives in the area.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Plant manager sent out a nastygram to all the supervisors, bitching about some of the place not being clean enough.

Hate to inform him, but it's a little tough to spend an hour+ cleaning up when our departments are all running understaffed, and our dedicated cleanup guy is having to run machines. I am literally the only person in my department right now, doing the job of three people.

If not for it being a slow night, I'd be furious.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

Q5o8QmZ.gif

@usagi is that you?

Pretty much, yes

• Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    Plant manager sent out a nastygram to all the supervisors, bitching about some of the place not being clean enough.

Hate to inform him, but it's a little tough to spend an hour+ cleaning up when our departments are all running understaffed, and our dedicated cleanup guy is having to run machines. I am literally the only person in my department right now, doing the job of three people.

slow night huh? Sound like a good time to get cleaning!

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Maybe a few more drunks could destroy some more telephone poles. Just a few more to make my job a little more infuriating.

• Options
    Stupid sitting here in the de icer waiting for an MD 11 to get unloaded so I cab fuel C208s, Beech1900s, and maybe a Beech 99

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »

slow night huh? Sound like a good time to get cleaning!

Heh, cleaning early enough in the night is a sisyphean task. Enough white drawing lubricant dust flies around when the next department blows off their machines that any sweeping you do is undone within a couple hours.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    drunk customers are the worsts

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

Q5o8QmZ.gif

@usagi is that you?

Pretty much, yes

YOU'RE WASTING BANANA

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »

Q5o8QmZ.gif

@usagi is that you?

Pretty much, yes

YOU'RE WASTING BANANA

YOU'RE
    A WASTED BANANA

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Hey, c'mon guys, not in front of @#pipe

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Shabooty wrote: »
    drunk customers are the worsts

I wish we had drunk tanks and I could send drunk patients there after a quick medical clearance.

TheStig on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    This line of conversation led me to wonder if something's been done, and this is the internet, of course it has

bananna-pipe-steamroller-e1357164415530.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I bet that's pretty good

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    oh I'm sure that EBITDA is a real thing.

I just don't know what it is and have no real investment in why management is constantly going on about it if they can't be bothered to explain it. You're giving a presentation about how the company is doing. You could at least provide definitions for what you're talking about.

On another note, we had our department christmas party today. We left the office a noon and went to a nearby bar and just had bar food and drinks. It's the first decent day in weeks (like mid 20s C and not a cloud at all). I won 2 of my battles with our vendor, 2 more to go. And its the weekend.

L'Chaim, my friends!

OK so EBITDA = Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization. It's basically how profitable you are just from your operations. It's a real thing, many people value publicly traded companies as a multiple of this number. Did you ever ask them what EBITDA is?
    Tam wrote: »
    I actually don't know which accounting discipline gets you the highest wage
    I'm sure the guys in finance are up there, as usual

I'm definitely not going to try and climb the ladder on one of the Big Four because I don't quite hate myself enough
    give it time I guess?

But finance isn't accounting though! Also, leaving Big 4 world was best life decision I made post-grad school. Also also, you can do finance even at big 4... but it sucks and you shouldn't.

• Options
    Is there a way to establish good experience without going through one of those soul threshers?

This discussion has been closed.