Options

ERRYDAY I'M HUSTLIN'

YaYaYaYa Decent.Registered User regular
so I'm at the car wash

my car has a lot of dents and scratches due to having the world's smallest parking space

I'm vacuuming my car and this guy in the car next to me goes, "HEY, I DO BODY WORK, I CAN DO A FREE QUOTE FOR YOU, NO CHARGE" and I say okay because I meant to get that done ages ago anyway

hHe comes out, looks at everything, and says "I can do it for 250 right now." and I say "uh, I mean, that's a great price but I don't have the money right this second"

and he snaps his fingers and his cousins come pouring out from his car and pulling out cloths and chemicals and shit, and he fixes the dent by SETTING A SPRAY PAINT CAN ON FIRE and then pulling it out and blah blah

I am saying "no really I don't have the money right now" and they've fixed everything wrong with the car in about 10 minutes

I Facebook my Mom and all "OH GOD LEND ME 250 DOLLARS" and she does and I drive him to the bank and give him the money, and now I have a nicer car for a way cheaper price than I would have paid elsewhere

my question

did I get scammed/hustled/hornswoggled? or did I just fall for a very, very good sales pitch?

also, what scams/schemes/etc have you been victim to or perpetrated on others?!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I mean

you only got scammed if the work was bad

but I'd describe that as like

Shanghaided maybe

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I mean

you only got scammed if the work was bad

but I'd describe that as like

Shanghaided maybe

it looks great!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What would he have done if you absolutely couldn't get him the money

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I mean, if it worked, it worked. It isn't like you can steal a removed dent.

Ever had a guy try to sell you jewelry from a trench coat in a parking lot before?

Or this other time I had a guy try to randomly sell me pills at a cocktail bar.

Speakers from another car while we were literally on road stopped at a stoplight. Stolen goods everywhere!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    How did you know they were his cousins?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I got hustled into buying a rap CD at pax a couple years ago. I think it was Tube's fault.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I am not sure

he did have four large burly men with him
    Javen wrote: »
    How did you know they were his cousins?

he said so

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's best to always say 'no' when someone is offering anything like that. Because if things go wrong you have less protection than if you get it done by professionals. Often they overcharge for shoddy work. It might be cheaper than having it done professionally but you have no guarantees.

• Options
    I got hustled into buying a rap CD at pax a couple years ago. I think it was Tube's fault.

Was it his rap CD and if so where can I hear it?

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    It's best to always say 'no' when someone is offering anything like that. Because if things go wrong you have less protection than if you get it done by professionals. Often they overcharge for shoddy work. It might be cheaper than having it done professionally but you have no guarantees.

I mean, yes, I have learned this now

but...

I mean, the work looks fine, he did exactly what he said he would

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I ran into one of those scams where guys try to sell you speakers & sub-woofers out of a plain white van in a strip mall parking lot. (At first I typed wub-woofers and now I wish I'd left it)

In Korea I got swarmed by five or six cab drivers who snagged my luggage from me, half drug half lifted me across the road to a cab, tossed everything in and then the one driver took off with me and charged me a bunch of money. I was waiting on a army shuttle bus. I did get the army to reimburse me under "travel expenses".

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    when i visited new york someone did this to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-TURhK90_8

it's funny because from a third person perspective it's so obvious that you think only a moron would fall for it but in the moment it's actually really easy to just be like "oh yeah sure here's sixty bucks"

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

Ever had a guy try to sell you jewelry from a trench coat in a parking lot before?

Speakers from another car while we were literally on road stopped at a stoplight. Stolen goods everywhere!

One time at a bar this lady was flirting with me and I made a joke about wanting some of her pain pills (she was getting a pain pump put in the next week) and later that night she loaded me up with so. much. vicodin I was kind of aghast.

She put it in a napkin and slipped it into my pocket.

She also invited me to her lake house.

what I'm saying is I'm so good at karaoke that I am also good attracting older women who come to see me do karaoke.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    YaYa wrote: »

I am not sure

he did have four large burly men with him

yo tell them to come spray my dents

• Options

ugh these guys

• Options

One time at a bar this lady was flirting with me and I made a joke about wanting some of her pain pills (she was getting a pain pump put in the next week) and later that night she loaded me up with so. much. vicodin I was kind of aghast.

She put it in a napkin and slipped it into my pocket.

She also invited me to her lake house.

what I'm saying is I'm so good at karaoke that I am also good attracting older women who come to see me do karaoke.

The scam there is the part where the husband shows up to the lake house and shoots you.

• Options

Was it his rap CD and if so where can I hear it?

no, I paid for it, it's mine

• Options
    Nuka gets scam phone calls all the time, stuff like people pretending to be the IRS and you have to wire them X money immediately to avoid an arrest warrant.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Antimatter and I were approached outside the convention center this PAX by a dude who billed himself as possibly the greatest rapper we would ever hear and he would like to prove it to us right here and now
    We walked away
    I'm sure he would have pushed a CD at us had we stuck around

• Options
    Those guys are always downtown. If there's no convention going on they just hang out over by Westlake Center or outside of Macy's.

• Options
    Antimatter and I were approached outside the convention center this PAX by a dude who billed himself as possibly the greatest rapper we would ever hear and he would like to prove it to us right here and now
    We walked away

well I bought his CD but I can't tell you if his claims are justified

• Options

it's funny because from a third person perspective it's so obvious that you think only a moron would fall for it but in the moment it's actually really easy to just be like "oh yeah sure here's sixty bucks"

What? No way that video is for real. I could see someone saying like.. "hey nice watch can I look" or "can I see your phone" and then running. But asking for your phone your watch and you wallet all together? I mean, I feel like you'd have to be high to fall for that.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Nuka gets scam phone calls all the time, stuff like people pretending to be the IRS and you have to wire them X money immediately to avoid an arrest warrant.

I get those too, they are usually people saying that I owe bills and demand payment.

As if!

I wonder how they knew I went to the doctor and got those services done, though.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

What? No way that video is for real. I could see someone saying like.. "hey nice watch can I look" or "can I see your phone" and then running. But asking for your phone your watch and you wallet all together? I mean, I feel like you'd have to be high to fall for that.

nope it works

obviously not everyone will fall for it but there's a few things he does to prime the guy into giving him his stuff

he asks him for directions, which gets the guy in a mood where he's being helpful (notice the way he emphasizes the phrase "you're happy to give that to me")

then he hands him his water bottle, which subconsciously makes the guy feel like he should give him something to reciprocate

combine that with the slight disorientation of being approached by a stranger on the street and being given clear explicit instructions and yeah certain people will just be like "here ya go" and not realize what they did until it's too late to get their stuff back

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I've had this happen only from shoe shine guys

They'll ask you if you want a shoe shine, and before you can get a word out they're dumping goop on your shoes

and then it's like, i don't know maybe I have a couple bucks

i don't usually carry cash man, but get that shit off my fucking shoes and i'll see

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i feel like it's a little premature to say the work looks fine

maybe wait like 24 hours

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I bought a box of feces for $6 and I didn't even get to keep it.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    i feel like it's a little premature to say the work looks fine

maybe wait like 24 hours

yeah this occurred to me

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I had a guy do this to me once at an In-and-Out parking lot. I said "no" a few times and he eventually left me alone.

Definitely an occasion where my tendency to say "no" when I'm uncomfortable came in handy.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    We walked away
    LOOK MAN

I TOLD YOU I'M THE BEST

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    A lot of European tourist cities like Barcelona and Budapest will have musicians walk up to you and start playing and then charge you for being nearby, I am glad it doesn't happen here.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

nope it works

obviously not everyone will fall for it but there's a few things he does to prime the guy into giving him his stuff

he asks him for directions, which gets the guy in a mood where he's being helpful (notice the way he emphasizes the phrase "you're happy to give that to me")

then he hands him his water bottle, which subconsciously makes the guy feel like he should give him something to reciprocate

combine that with the slight disorientation of being approached by a stranger on the street and being given clear explicit instructions and yeah certain people will just be like "here ya go" and not realize what they did until it's too late to get their stuff back

I kept thinking that he initially poured clear lighter fluid on the guy as a threat of immolation if he didn't comply ... I had no idea it was just mind games.

Then again, I'm inherently cautious and don't trust strange encounters.

• Options
    Darth being cautious/paranoid is hella useful! For instance if somebody asks me the time on the street around here I'll make sure to take a couple of extra steps away, like I haven't decided if I'm gonna answer them or not yet, before pulling my phone out, since phone theft is pretty big here.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Fryhustle.gif

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Darth being cautious/paranoid is hella useful! For instance if somebody asks me the time on the street around here I'll make sure to take a couple of extra steps away, like I haven't decided if I'm gonna answer them or not yet, before pulling my phone out, since phone theft is pretty big here.

Yeah the one time I let a pretty girl stranger borrow my phone she pulled a kitchen knife out of her purse and started making stabbing motions in the air while screaming that she was going to kill the cheating whore on the other end of whatever number she called.

I mean, I got my phone back (had to so I could re-dial that number and tell that girl to contact the police and/or go somewhere safe because this other lady had clearly gone bad) but yeah, pretty much made me be cautious/paranoid ever since.

Japan relaxed me a lot on this front but, now that I am back stateside I am back to normal. One of the teachers I worked with in Japan was surprised that she got her phone stolen while at a Starbucks in New York. Apparently she just left it on her table while she went to use the restroom. Because that is totally a safe thing to do in Japan. I did it all the time myself.

• Options
    My Thai friends tell me that in Thailand there is the foreign people price and then the real price, so I should go to Thailand with them for like... half off.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    you got scammed.

this happened to me in front of an AutoZone. random dude noticed a dent in my car door while i was entering the store, and he asked if i wanted it fixed. i was skeptical and told him to not do anything, i was just going to the store. next thing i know, the guy has one of those suction cup-screwpull devices on my car on the dent. not only did it not completely fix the dent, it also bent the rest of the door in a weird way.

worst part: it was dark at the time and i was fairly young and naive. looked fixed at the time, so i gave the guy some cash. regretted it as soon as i could see what actually happened.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The foreign people price is still probably very cheap compared to what you are used to, if we are being realistic.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    When I first moved to Portland, within two months I had at least four different people come up to me and tell me the same story abiut how they got pulled over and the cops towed their car and just left them there on the side of the road and man, you got some money for a bus ticket so I can get back to my hometown?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    and he snaps his fingers and his cousins come pouring out from his car and pulling out cloths and chemicals and shit,

Look, all I know is that if i could find a line of work where I snapped my fingers and minions appeared and work got accomplished I would be living a dream.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky