As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Or he's complaining that 5 suits is too expensive so they can't have them. I know if I were SyFy I would be skeptical of sinking a bunch of money into just a costume.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Yeah, I doubt it's for more than Bobbie.

Corey said five suits, so her tac squad is going to be kitted out.

Caliban's War
    Four of those suits could be made out of balsa wood and tissue paper, though, as they'll only need one durable suit.

I'd tend to agree with Xeddicus on it being multiple specialty suits for Bobby.
    Like there'd be one that's lightweight but doesn't have any worky bits on it and has less overall detail for distance shots or having to move around a lot, one with a more detailed face/torso for close up shots where you'd want more detail visible, one with "working" guns, One with lifts in the feet to make it look bigger when next to other actors etc...
    From what I remember, most of the squadmates only show up briefly and after that are only seen on gun camera footage. Seems like if you did make 5 different suits for Bobby, you could use the other four in that shot by just by giving them a different paint job so they wouldn't all look the same. Probably cheaper than building them all in CGI or creating physical suits for them that would only be used in one shot.
    Granted, this is just me talking from having watched entirely too many TV shows about special effects back in the 90s and 00s. I could be way off.

On the plus side though, sounds like they're discussing season 3 at this point. That seems like it would be a good sign, right?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Well, they could be introducing her early, just like they've done for other characters.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's a good point about multiple suits. They had I think 7 BB8s for TFA, although that is a little different since he's a puppet.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Like there's like 5 books. More than one suit of power armor might show up. Probably not thinking that long term though

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Like there's like 5 books. More than one suit of power armor might show up. Probably not thinking that long term though

Thusfar in the books
    Only Bobbie has had a featured scene in power armor. Her origin story scene has a bunch of space marines, but honestly they're not around for very long.

Wheras at one point in Caliban's War Bobbie defeats every security officer on a ship, unarmed, just by wearing her armor. Later she goes EVA and is the biggest goddamn hero.

• Options

Thusfar in the books
    Only Bobbie has had a featured scene in power armor. Her origin story scene has a bunch of space marines, but honestly they're not around for very long.

Wheras at one point in Caliban's War Bobbie defeats every security officer on a ship, unarmed, just by wearing her armor. Later she goes EVA and is the biggest goddamn hero.
    don't 4 more suites show up in the 3rd book?

• Options

Thusfar in the books

Oh snap. Forgot about them.
    Nasty fight, too.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Thusfar in the books

Oh snap. Forgot about them.
    Nasty fight, too.
    Yea, they echo just how fucking overwhelming those suits are. Though I thought they did a good job of simultaneously making those marines without the suits pretty impressive as well.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Yeah, don't they make multiple suits even if it's just for one person so they have spares in case of stuff happening? or just different levels of damage for different shots, etc

• Options
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Yeah, don't they make multiple suits even if it's just for one person so they have spares in case of stuff happening? or just different levels of damage for different shots, etc

This is the much more reasonable idea. Seems like a lot though. Maybe that means not much CGI?

• Options
    VoodooV wrote: »

This is the much more reasonable idea. Seems like a lot though. Maybe that means not much CGI?

There are some that think that Bobbie would have to be CGI herself, since nobody exists who could play her as she is in the novels: A 6'+ Samoan lady built like a Leman Russ battletank.

• Options
    Forced perspective is an amazing thing. I think those people are silly.

• Options
    Forced perspective is an amazing thing. I think those people are silly.

Yeah, if they can do Hobbits without CGI, then they can make Bobbie big.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Just borrow the apple cart they used to give Gillian Anderson some extra height in X-Files.

Budget problem solved. You're welcome.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Are we all getting power suits or what is this conversation about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Last page:
    Echo wrote: »

• Options

Last page:

(For reference: James S.A. Corey is the pseudonym for the two people who write The Expanse book series)

• Options
    They haven't announced who's playing Bobbie have they?

• Options

Totally going to be Summer Glau. The part was written for her.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    no casting announcement yet but there is this.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Would totally fit my outlook for the show, but this is so wrong I can't tell if my sarcasm meter is busted or not.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Would totally fit my outlook for the show, but this is so wrong I can't tell if my sarcasm meter is busted or not.
    It's the internet Xedd, it destroys all of our sarcasm meters eventually.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Everytime I see a flurry of posts in this thread it makes me afraid to open it and see they've cancelled the show.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    don't worry, they'll wait till right before season 2 starts airing before they make that announcement. :P

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Don't you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!!!

ObiFett on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i just want this character who i know nothing about to be like a 7 foot 9 samoan female rugby player

those exist btw i just invented them

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i just want this character who i know nothing about to be like a 7 foot 9 samoan female rugby player

bless u

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Everytime I see a flurry of posts in this thread it makes me afraid to open it and see they've cancelled the show.

Way too early for that. Wait until Season 2 is on the air.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Say hi to Bobbie!

Yq2Cg5l.jpg
    So, we found an actress in New Zealand named Frankie Adams. She’s been a local star in NZ for a while and played a variety of parts and is also an amateur female boxer. And she’s 6ft tall. She’s tall, she’s athletic, she can act, and she’s Samoan. She had a lot of range to her. People in the States haven't seen her before, so she’ll seem knew to them even though she has a lot of experience. I think people are going to be really excited to see her.

http://www.blastr.com/2016-4-14/exclusive-expanses-ty-franck-daniel-abraham-reveal-major-cast-addition-season-2

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Say hi to Bobbie!

Yq2Cg5l.jpg
    So, we found an actress in New Zealand named Frankie Adams. She’s been a local star in NZ for a while and played a variety of parts and is also an amateur female boxer. And she’s 6ft tall. She’s tall, she’s athletic, she can act, and she’s Samoan. She had a lot of range to her. People in the States haven't seen her before, so she’ll seem knew to them even though she has a lot of experience. I think people are going to be really excited to see her.

http://www.blastr.com/2016-4-14/exclusive-expanses-ty-franck-daniel-abraham-reveal-major-cast-addition-season-2

Works for me!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options

Well, you were close, @surrealitycheck .
    I mean, rugby's kind of like boxing, right?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    kind of a cool line from below that in the interview
    You guys have been hailed for the diverse cast of the show, which obviously we know is in line with the books. I know from talking with Ty that it’s not just in front of the camera. Can you talk a bit about creating a truly diverse cast and crew?

Ty: It takes a fair amount of work whether or not the talent is there, and I agree the talent is there, but the mechanisms by which you acquire talent haven’t caught up to the talent pool yet. Casting agents definitely work with us to find the diversity that we want, but they end up having, say, 9,000 white guys that can play a role versus 20 non white guys for it. You have to know that going in and be dedicated to working a little harder and casting agents are going to have to work a little harder to get the diverse cast that you want.

Daniel: It’s hard to address a large systemic issue when you only have control over one part. We have this one little slice we can play in, and we have the influence and do the things we can do, and we can have make some decisions about our project, it’s just a drop in a bucket. That said, I do think that drops are how buckets get filled up.

Ty: You do what you can do with the access and influence you have, and you hope that you’re making things better by at least a little bit. If enough people do that, then things will get better.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    kind of a cool line from below that in the interview
    You guys have been hailed for the diverse cast of the show, which obviously we know is in line with the books. I know from talking with Ty that it’s not just in front of the camera. Can you talk a bit about creating a truly diverse cast and crew?

Ty: It takes a fair amount of work whether or not the talent is there, and I agree the talent is there, but the mechanisms by which you acquire talent haven’t caught up to the talent pool yet. Casting agents definitely work with us to find the diversity that we want, but they end up having, say, 9,000 white guys that can play a role versus 20 non white guys for it. You have to know that going in and be dedicated to working a little harder and casting agents are going to have to work a little harder to get the diverse cast that you want.

Daniel: It’s hard to address a large systemic issue when you only have control over one part. We have this one little slice we can play in, and we have the influence and do the things we can do, and we can have make some decisions about our project, it’s just a drop in a bucket. That said, I do think that drops are how buckets get filled up.

Ty: You do what you can do with the access and influence you have, and you hope that you’re making things better by at least a little bit. If enough people do that, then things will get better.

The casting on the show has been pretty spot on.

Like, game of thrones spot on.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Any word on when season 1 is on a DVD? I don't feel like I have been able to show my lil'drop in the bucket of how much I love this show.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Any word on when season 1 is on a DVD? I don't feel like I have been able to show my lil'drop in the bucket of how much I love this show.

You're in luck: It's been out for nine days. (see: Amazon)

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So I haven't read the books, but I've been a bit spoiled on an aspect of the plot because (spoilers)
    I saw the first book in a list when I was looking for "first contact" novels, so I know aliens are involved somehow, even if it's just an artifact or something

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    So I haven't read the books, but I've been a bit spoiled on an aspect of the plot because (spoilers)
    I saw the first book in a list when I was looking for "first contact" novels, so I know aliens are involved somehow, even if it's just an artifact or something
    Kind of.
    Turns out the aliens have been dead for a long, long time, and the protomolecule is an artifact of their colonization attempts.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I will refrain from opening that nested spoiler. I want some surprises (and plan on watching the show first and not reading the books, at least not until afterwards.)

Tempting though.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
This discussion has been closed.