As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] [Pandemic - ITL] - Game 21 - Game Over - Found The Specimen

• Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Preda just treated washington, so we got the 3rd blue cube we need to cure it.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    @Preda didn't say to place that cube in a dish but, if he wants to, he can state that now.

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Than I'll state it. I'll put the Washington cube in the lower dish.
    Than with my last action I'll move the 2 lower dish Cubes in the Centrifuge.

@stever777 to end turn.

• Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    One presumes the 2 red cubes are discarded @preda ?

• Options
    No other chances if we wanted to cure blue and survive next epidemic (so we could lose later).

• Options
    edited April 2015
    @Hedgethorn - Local Liaison Turn

uzybwbby0pj8.jpg
    Lab Board
    5616zqbs2auo.jpg

Roles, current hand sizes & cards -
    Hedgethorn - Local Liaison (2/7) - Chicago; Cairo
    jdarksun - Dispatcher (6/7) - Milan; St. Petersburg; Washington; Tokyo; Beijing; Osaka
    Phyphor - Medic (6/7) - Atlanta; Paris; San Francisco; Lima; Karachi; Delhi
    Kaneski - Generalist (6/7) - New York; Lagos; Algiers; Mumbai; Istanbul; "Re-Examined Research" Special (Current player may draw any one city card from Player Discards and add it to his hand.)
    Preda - Field Director (3/7) - Miami; Sao Paulo; Riyadh

sx9nqh5fpqhj.jpg
    idalizfnvrcf.jpg

LAB ACTIONS

Process a Sample
    Sequence a Disease
    Characterize a Disease
    Test a Cure
    Discover a Cure

REMINDERS
    • Lab actions must be done at research stations.
    • All cubes in a dish must be moved when processing a sample.
    • Cubes cannot be freely returned from the lab to the supply.
    • Cubes cannot be moved onto a Sequence card until it is characterized.
    • Gray spots on Sequence cards must be filled with cubes matching the cure color.
    • A cure cannot be tested until at least 1 cube is on its Sequence card.
    • The cube removed by Test a Cure is returned to the supply.
    • Different players than the one intending to Discover a Cure can characterize or test it.
    • Spots of an eradicated disease’s color on a Sequence card can be filled by cubes of any color.
    • Cubes of an eradicated disease in the lab can still be used to fill out spots on Sequence cards

"Infection Zone Ban" Special (Ignore all Chain Reaction outbreaks until current player's next turn.) is in effect until jdarksun's next turn.

stever777 on

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    @stever777: The Miami and Sao Paulo cards should be in Preda's hand, not mine.

We're in trouble. I can't both treat two black cubes (thus giving us what we need to set up the black cure) and sufficiently progress the blue cure so that I can test it (so jdark can cure it on his turn)...

It seems to me I have two options now, neither of which is ideal:
    Optional turn #1:
    1. Treat Delhi, putting a black cube in the top petri dish.
    2. Treat Delhi, putting a black cube in the top petri dish.
    3. Drive to Kolkata.
    4. Move the blue cubes from centrifuge to growth.
    5. (Free) Characterize the black cure with the Cairo card.

Then Jdark would have to move yellow/black/blue from sequencer to growth, move all the cubes to the blue sequence card, and test blue so that Phyphor could cure blue on the following turn.

Optional turn #2:
    1. Drive to Kolkata.
    2. Move the blue cubes from centrifuge to growth.
    3. Move the yellow/black/blue cubes from sequencer to growth.
    4. Move all cubes from growth to the blue sequence card.
    5. (Free) Test the blue cure with the Chicago card, returning a cube from Chicago to the supply.

That allows jdark to cure blue, but short of me drawing at least one black card after my turn it seems to make victory impossible. But I guess option #2 is what we have to do?

Also, coincidentally, Phyphor can't gather red cubes for the lab board any more (the rules state that the Medic's ability to automatically remove cubes of a cured disease can't be used to send cubes to the lab board, which is bull***t).

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    With 2 jdark can cure in 2 action, leaving hm 2 to move phyphor where we need him or starting to collect black He also will give us another sequence card, maybe easyer to do.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

1. Drive to Kolkata.
    2. Move the blue cubes from centrifuge to growth.
    3. Move the yellow/black/blue cubes from sequencer to growth.
    4. Move all cubes from growth to the blue sequence card.
    5. (Free) Test the blue cure with the Chicago card, returning a cube from Chicago to the supply.

@stever777

• Options
    @Hedgethorn
    You drew Shanghai & "Commercial Travel Ban" Special (Infection rate becomes 1 until the start of current player's next turn.) for your Player card draws.
    Would you like to play the Special now?

• Options
    Absolutely, you'd better believe I want to play Commercial Travel Ban.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    @jdarksun - Dispatcher Turn

dig5ofjfrocn.jpg
    Lab Board
    a1epc76jvdwm.jpg

Roles, current hand sizes & cards -
    Hedgethorn - Local Liaison (2/7) - Cairo; Shanghai
    jdarksun - Dispatcher (6/7) - Milan; St. Petersburg; Washington; Tokyo; Beijing; Osaka
    Phyphor - Medic (6/7) - Atlanta; Paris; San Francisco; Lima; Karachi; Delhi
    Kaneski - Generalist (6/7) - New York; Lagos; Algiers; Mumbai; Istanbul; "Re-Examined Research" Special (Current player may draw any one city card from Player Discards and add it to his hand.)
    Preda - Field Director (3/7) - Miami; Sao Paulo; Riyadh

sx9nqh5fpqhj.jpg
    idalizfnvrcf.jpg

LAB ACTIONS

Process a Sample
    Sequence a Disease
    Characterize a Disease
    Test a Cure
    Discover a Cure

REMINDERS
    • Lab actions must be done at research stations.
    • All cubes in a dish must be moved when processing a sample.
    • Cubes cannot be freely returned from the lab to the supply.
    • Cubes cannot be moved onto a Sequence card until it is characterized.
    • Gray spots on Sequence cards must be filled with cubes matching the cure color.
    • A cure cannot be tested until at least 1 cube is on its Sequence card.
    • The cube removed by Test a Cure is returned to the supply.
    • Different players than the one intending to Discover a Cure can characterize or test it.
    • Spots of an eradicated disease’s color on a Sequence card can be filled by cubes of any color.
    • Cubes of an eradicated disease in the lab can still be used to fill out spots on Sequence cards

"Commercial Travel Ban" Special (Infection rate becomes 1 until the start of current player's next turn.) is in effect until Hedgethorn's next turn.

stever777 on

• Options
    edited April 2015
    First of all cure blue. Than after knowing the other sequence card see what are our options.

Preda on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Preda's right: use your first two actions to get to a research station and cure blue. You could get to either Atlanta or Kolkata in one move; I'm not actually sure which makes more sense.

After the next sequence card is drawn we can make more detailed plans. But you'll probably have to move either Phyphor or Kaneski near Delhi so they can get some black cubes onto the lab board. You might also have to move Preda, depending on what we need to cure black.

Edit: I think whatever plan we concoct will have to involve me curing black on my next turn. I have one black card now and I can draw another one using Reexamined Research; but I'll need to be passed a third card, perhaps from Phyphor or Kaneski in order to have three for the cure. Preda will probably have to use Riyadh to test the black cure.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    I'll go kolkata, to be near the black cubes, witch we will need to cure, while Phyphor could move through Atlanta and autocure while he do the yellow ones too.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Yeah my turn will be
    1: Fly to Atlanta
    2: ???
    3/4: Move to Miami/Mexico City

I could do a lab action. Aternately, move LA->Mexico->Miami->Atlanta if we don't need the extra lab action to clean up more

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Blue will be cured before your turn, so treating Atlanta will be an auto-action.

Best bet for your second action might be to characterize the black disease.

• Options
    Ha. Who's going to cure black? It's going to have to be Kanesi or me and we won't get another turn

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Maybe I move, move, fly to karachi, move to delhi?

Ahh, but if I move to delhi we lose all of our black cubes. Fly to atlanta, warp to baghdad, move to karachi, maybe characterize for black with delhi card?

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    There's no way to get enough cubes on the lab board, process them, characterize, and test until at least Preda's turn. Maybe longer.

I think the most likely scenario is that I use Cairo + Reexamined Research + a card from you (Delhi) or from Kaneski (probably Mumbai) to cure black. But it's pretty much going to have to be either me or jdark curing black -- and jdark can probably only do so if he draws at least one black card after his turn.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Lab Board
    ybehdf4izh6m.jpg

• Options
    Kaneski needs to be near Delhi to gather black and red cubes. Moving Phyphor to Atlanta might help, so he can characterize black and clean up the yellow mess.

• Options
    We need to treat 2 black, 2 red and a blue cube, putting one of each in a dish and the remaining black and red in the other. Than, 4 lab action, Characterize, test, give Hedgethorn a black card than cure. 13 actions without considering movement and cleaning yellow in between. I actually can't see a way to do it. I suggest we sequence to find a better card. That one we can't do.

• Options
    How about warping Kaneski to Kolkata and then drawing one more sequence card for jdark's last two actions? Regardless of what sequence card we use, we'll need those black cubes, and Kaneski's the first one who can get them.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I think we actually have a chance to cure black using the sequence card we have now, but it won't happen until the very last action of the very last turn, and it depends upon jdark drawing a black card at the end of his turn.

(It also depends on us getting luck and not having an outbreaks kill us, but it'll help that we're only drawing one infection card for the next four turns.)
    Crazy plan wrote:
    Jdark:
    3. Warp Kaneski to Kolkata
    4. Drive Kaneski to Chennai
    4b. Draw a black card (fingers crossed)

Phyphor:
    1. Fly to Atlanta
    2. Drive to Miami
    3. Fly to Karachi
    4. Drive to Delhi

Kaneski:
    1. Treat Chennai, cube to top dish
    2. Treat Chennai, cube to bottom dish
    3. Drive to Delhi
    4. Treat Delhi, cube to top dish
    5. Treat Delhi, cube to bottom dish

Preda:
    1. Characterize black using Riyadh
    2. Treat Washington, cube to top dish
    3. Top dish to sequencer
    4. Bottom dish to sequencer

Hedge:
    1. Sequencer to growth
    2. Cubes from growth to the sequence card
    2b. Test cure using Cairo (free)
    3. ?
    4. ?

Jdark:
    1. Drive to Delhi
    2. Grab Delhi from Phyphor
    3. Drive to Kolkata
    3b. Use Re-examined Research to grab another black
    4. Cure black

I think that has a chance of working, if I'm not mistaken. Anyone have any better ideas, besides flipping a sequence card and praying for something better? (...and there are only a couple of sequence cards that are much better for us, along with 4 or 5 that are entirely useless.)

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Well, we could cardcount - we should be able to know exactly what 11 cards are left, see what the odds of drawing black are

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Quick count, which I think is accurate:
    There are 11 cards left: 2 yellow, 2 blue, 2 black, 3 red, 1 epidemic, and 1 special.

Moscow and Chennai seem to be the remaining black cards, if that matters.

Yellow Cards (10/12):
    Bogota
    Los Angeles
    Khartoum
    Santiago
    Mexico City
    Lagos
    Lima
    Johannesburg
    Sao Paulo
    Miami

Blue Cards (10/12):
    Milan
    St. Petersburg
    Paris
    New York
    Chicago
    San Francisco
    Madrid
    Washington
    London
    Atlanta

Red Cards (9/12):
    Taipei
    Manila
    Seoul
    Osaka
    Hong Kong
    Bangkok
    Tokyo
    Beijing
    Shanghai

Black Cards (10/12):
    Tehran
    Istanbul
    Kolkata
    Delhi
    Karachi
    Baghdad
    Mumbai
    Riyadh
    Cairo
    Algiers

Specials (9/10):
    Mobile Hospital
    Gov't Grant
    Airlift
    Infection Zone Ban
    Rapid Vaccine Deployment
    Re-examined Research
    Improved Sanitation
    Sequencing Breakthrough
    Commercial Travel Ban

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Okay, so there's a 35% chance of drawing at least one. I have never seen the lab deck, do we think we have a better than 1/3 chance of drawing a good black cure card?

• Options
    I pulled down my copy of In the Lab to check the sequence deck. If I'm not mistaken, there are 8 sequence cards left in the deck, as follows:
    - Three of them can't be used to cure black

- Two of them are just as difficult as what we have now, or more so, namely:
    (a) 6 black + 1 red + 1 yellow;
    (b) 2 black + 1 blue + 1 red + 4 yellow

- Three of them might be a bit better, namely:
    (c) 5 black + 1 red
    (d) 5 black + 1 yellow
    (e) 3 black + 3 blue

• Options
    Your sequence has a problem it in, jdark is two moves away from delhi, he would end up one move short

• Options
    In any case, he could only treat chennai once because red is cured, so his move would be fly mumbai -> delhi -> treat -> treat -> treat, you could grab one of the reds with your two free moves but otherwise we're stuck

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Your sequence has a problem it in, jdark is two moves away from delhi, he would end up one move short

Change drive to "warp" -- he is the dispatcher after all.

Also, a couple special powers I hadn't been taking into account: Preda can move pawns in cities he's adjacent to, and I can give any black card I have to jdark so long as he's in a black city (on my turn). I don't know how much that helps -- I can only give Cairo to jdark if someone else has already tested the cure. Maybe if Kaneski ends up in Mumbai, I can drive there, grab Mumbai, and pass it to jdark. I haven't checked the steps to see if that'll work or not.

• Options
    Aw crap. Forgot that we can only get 1 of the red cubes in any given city.

I'm pretty sure that screws us with respect to this sequence card. We need either the 5 black/1 yellow or the 5 black/1 red sequence card to win in that case; there's just no way to move to enough cities to pick up multiple cubes.

• Options
    Yeah I don't think there is a sequence. We can't get the reds in the dishes in time

• Options
    Ahh yes forgot jdark can warp himself. This might work

Jdark:
    3. Warp Kaneski to Bangkok
    4. Drive Kaneski to Jakarta
    4b. Draw a black card (fingers crossed)

Phyphor:
    1. Fly to Atlanta
    2. Drive to Miami
    3. Fly to Karachi
    4. Drive to Delhi

Kaneski:
    1. Treat Jakarta, cube to top dish
    2. Move to Chennai
    3. Treat Chennai, cube to bottom dish
    4. Drive to Delhi
    5. Characterize black

Preda:
    1. Treat Washington, cube to top dish
    2. Warp to Kolkata
    3. Treat delhi, to top dish
    4. Treat delhi, to bottom dish

Hedge:
    1. Top dish to sequencer
    2. Bottom dish to sequencer
    3. Sequencer to growth
    4. Cubes from growth to the sequence card
    4b. Test cure using Cairo (free)

Jdark:
    1. Warp to Delhi
    2. Grab Delhi from Phyphor
    3. Drive to Kolkata
    3b. Use Re-examined Research to grab another black
    4. Cure black

• Options
    Alternately, we can hope jdark also draws the role swapping special so I can switch to something more useful. So really he only needs one of three. So it's a 50% chance he will draw something useful - worst case I can just take archivist, then fly to delhi, pick up delhi, treat, treat. This leaves preda free to move jdark and do a sequencer. You can then give cairo to jdark

• Options
    edited April 2015
    One problem with your plan-- jdark isn't in Bangkok anymore. His first move this turn was to drive to the research station at Kolkata, where he cured blue.

Edit: An easy fix: jdark can warp Kaneski to Sydney (where you are), and then drive him to Jakarta. Everything else follows as you wrote it up.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Jdark:
    3. Warp Kaneski to Sydney
    4. Drive Kaneski to Jakarta

Phyphor:
    1. Fly to Atlanta
    2. Warp to kolkata
    3. Characterize black
    4. Drive to Delhi

Kaneski: