As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] with Tay Sway

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2015
    My jazz band was chill as fuck and full of hot dudes I wanted to bang

We played four square on Fridays and had juice and donuts

Yeah, we were tasked with massively long improv solos on songs like Take the A train and Caravan and he was MAD if you got out of pocket.

And he was rarely chill.

But it was a hell of an education and the first 3 weeks of Jazz Band we didn't even pick up our instruments - we learned about Gregorian Monks and modes and slave chants and the synthesis of catholic chordal structure with west african melodies and it was baller as fuck.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    @Wash hey... this Whiplash movie you were talking about... it's funny and uplifting instead of misery laden and morose and sad?

I like happy movies, but I didn't think Hollywood made those anymore...

When I said I laughed from joy, that was the result of one hell of an ending. I ain't spoiled shit about that film, not even the tone.

So regarding the tone:
    It is not uplifting.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    my band teacher looked at the national awards available to marching bands, observed that the rewards were skewed ridiculously in favour of symphonic performances, and just cancelled all marching. 100% indoor symphonic moving onwards, besides the daily perfunctory national anthem.

this caused enough consternation in a conservative school admin that I think they replaced him and restored marching after I left

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Yeah, we were tasked with massively long improv solos on songs like Take the A train and Caravan and he was MAD if you got out of pocket.

And he was rarely chill.

But it was a hell of an education and the first 3 weeks of Jazz Band we didn't even pick up our instruments - we learned about Gregorian Monks and modes and slave chants and the synthesis of catholic chordal structure with west african melodies and it was baller as fuck.

Marching band was the crown jewel of the program we were a chance to kick back

I was pretty mediocre at trumpet tho

• Options
    to be fair, though, the string and chinese orchestras didn't get to call themselves uniformed groups and it didn't really make sense for us to, either, if we didn't actually march around in uniforms

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

And he was rarely chill.

I have a trumpet that I pull out once a year and spend an hour or two on just so I don't forget it.

I still, during idle moments, will walk up the chromatic scale or the circle of 5ths on my thumb with my three valve fingers.

I would hate to lose that skill - I spent so much of my life at it. And even though I am nowhere near where I was at my best, I am glad its not all gone.

In other news, I now have 24/7 access to a soundproofed music studio in the city, so maybe I will start playing more again.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @Wash hey... this Whiplash movie you were talking about... it's funny and uplifting instead of misery laden and morose and sad?

I like happy movies, but I didn't think Hollywood made those anymore...

Whiplash, from what I saw, is about a school band director who is a total asshole to his students, throws chairs at them, slaps them to teach them tempo, and makes them better musicians.

I am not sure if I want to watch this, because I have had some WINNERS in my music education over the years and flashbacks aren't fun.

My band director kept a bucket of erasers by the podium so he could throw things at people who weren't watching him.

My band director used to sermon before Jazz band about how the world was a better place when we hung thieves.

Like, literal gather everyone in the town square and watch someone hanging until they are dead.

Those were the good old days.

He also liked making the marching band run until someone puked.

We won a lot of trophies. I got to play a solo at the gator bowl and the carquest bowl half time shows.

But he was a majorly disturbed ass.

Mine wasn't that bad but he marched with the Army band and really really did not tolerate "antics"

"antics" was stuff like, you know, looking left or right. Or being out of breath marching in the heat.

• Options
    Oh, and 3 of our assistant directors for the Marching Band were Drum Corps people.

they do not fuck around.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

And he was rarely chill.

I have a trumpet that I pull out once a year and spend an hour or two on just so I don't forget it.

I still, during idle moments, will walk up the chromatic scale or the circle of 5ths on my thumb with my three valve fingers.

I would hate to lose that skill - I spent so much of my life at it. And even though I am nowhere near where I was at my best, I am glad its not all gone.

In other news, I now have 24/7 access to a soundproofed music studio in the city, so maybe I will start playing more again.

I try to keep my hand in enough to play Sleigh Ride and a fucking breakneck pace but I've lost most of my chops and can't slide notes at all anymore...

I wish I had the discipline to relearn it. I know the fingerings and I can still make good tones but I can't get through two songs before my lips are dead.

• Options
    The last band class I was in was grade 7 and we never made it past page 3 of the book because our teacher couldn't teach for shit and she was an awful disciplinarian. So what would happen by like 3 months into the year is she would tell us to settle down but if we didn't or we dragged out feet getting ready we could basically just piss the time away, and she would stand there and refuse to teach. Eventually she kinda gave up, even though some of us actually wanted to learn.

The year before, once you reached grade 7 you got access to the saxophone, which was what I'd always wanted to play and looked forward to. When our year reached grade 7, only the grade 8s could play the sax. When I reached grade 8, our music program was reduced to us playing with lummi sticks and a recorder.

I'd hate to be a teacher. It must be hard to care when it doesn't seem like your students do, but giving up isn't an acceptable option.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    I think our director came from Grambling (HBCU) and he felt that I was "too white" to play the drums in front of an audience.

To be fair, he was absolutely correct. :)

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ok u faks im off to bed but

before i go

let me warn u........................................ pensi

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    ok u faks im off to bed but

before i go

let me warn u........................................ pensi

It's... too late.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    High School Band Saxophone Chair 2, reporting in.

Chair 3 and I had our own special funky marching band steps and twirly flairs we made up on our own. There was a reason neither of us were considered for Chair 1. :+1:

• Options
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It always seems bizarre that the idea is like, excellent musicians need shit thrown at them to make them pay attention and turn into great musicians.

Like, shit, if you're there already it seems like you already probably know how to pay attention in practice?

Like, band practices were always really serious for me in high school, because we had won awards before and we wanted to win more and we were doing something hard. And even more serious at band camp.

Fuck yeah I went to band camp it was sweet.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    It always seems bizarre that the idea is like, excellent musicians need shit thrown at them to make them pay attention and turn into great musicians.

Like, shit, if you're there already it seems like you already probably know how to pay attention in practice?

Like, band practices were always really serious for me in high school, because we had won awards before and we wanted to win more and we were doing something hard. And even more serious at band camp.

The movie at least takes place in an elite college program

And there's a lot of ambiguity as to the value of the throwing

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

did you do anything with a flute while you were there

because I've heard things

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Sounds like Rousey obliterated her opponent again?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    simonwolf wrote: »

did you do anything with a flute while you were there

because I've heard things

Come to think of it I did get my first ever Gay Boner at band camp

As well as moping over a girl or two or three

No actual instrument penetration though

But then I played the trombone so that was probably for the best

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    this is weird. an
    desc wrote: »
    also alcohol is trash tier i dunno if that was clear enough in what i was saying

@desc can I convince you to change your avatar.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Hulu keeps pushing female contraceptives on me.

"Ovarian cysts may occur and usually disappear."

"After you insert the ring into your vagina . . ."

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    hi5 fellow trombone

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Percussion 4 life.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Everyone who is taking about jazz and great musicians, watch Whiplash. I cannot stress this enough. Watch Whiplash.

Scene! Not too spoilery, but it gives you a good idea of what we're dealing with.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    *tunes a timpani*

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    Percussion 4 life.

http://imgur.com/gallery/yvt9wID

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Summer played trombone in high school.

she is a wee lass.

She actually attached an elastic band to the slide so she could throw it out to the 7th position and reel it back in.

I kind of wished I got to see that, it sounds hilarious.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    A friend did photography at the Stanford Viennese ball. It's on facebook but this one from the actual Stanford site, by another photographer, seems representative:

VBall2013_Andrew_Sherman_for_Kenneth_Chan_Photography_017-1140x722.jpg

... why are so many of the faces East Asian?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

NSFW language

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Hello chat. Anyone who was following my posts earlier on how my day was going: I have now been in two car accidents today, neither of which involved me as the driver.

Fortunately the one that just happened shattered the other guy's bumper without damaging our car (we were rear ended) and nobody was interested in dealing with the po.

How are you lovelies?

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    Hello chat. Anyone who was following my posts earlier on how my day was going: I have now been in two car accidents today, neither of which involved me as the driver.

Fortunately the one that just happened shattered the other guy's bumper without damaging our car (we were rear ended) and nobody was interested in dealing with the po.

How are you lovelies?

stationary

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    As is the thread, it would seem.

• Options
    where is everybody

they can't all have lives

something is amiss

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

How are you lovelies?

:(

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    so much grams
    unzip the bag
    dip in my hand
    then i palm trees

poo
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah GDC is this week, Valve going all out or someshit