As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechwarrior Online] Summer's got us down, so we Drop Ship'd [Thread Over]

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'm worried that the scoring will be win based against the opposing faction and that pgi will weight 30 IS wins vs clan as equivalent to 30 clan wins VS IS. (number of wins pulled from my nightmares)

I guess I need to complete my drop deck. I suspect I may have to squeeze a pirates bane in as a 4th mech.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    GODDAMNIT PGI STOP WITH THE TOURNEMENTS.

Give us some goddamn downtime and breathing room.

NEVER! GRIND STOMPY BOTS FOREVAAAAAAAAR!!!!!1!!1!!

Back on topic, the idea of a Mobile Artillery Crab tickles me in ways I didn't think possible, so I whipped this up for you Padre:
    KGC-0MA.jpg

LONG TOMS ARE SO BIG THEY BREAK INTO THE ARMS!!! Also, 20 Heat per shot!!! Alpha both at your own risk!
    Download Link for the KGC-0MA here!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    c9e2535a0693f86dde4fdfa63e48431f.jpg

And by Danny, I mean all you Oosiks who aren't Rank 20 :P

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Pgi is all "come on guys. Play CW >:(

MWO%20event.jpg

Can your 65 ton heavy with bonker quirks compete with a 55 ton Clan medium? Find out this weekend! Oh, and from months of live experience the answer is no, but...FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF! SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUN... Your connection to the server was lost.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Seriously

Why cant I just weld a couple long toms to the top of my carapace, use up the ST slots for them.

Mobile Artillery Crab.

Long Toms are huge; if a Battlemech could fit them, a single Long Tom would take up the entire torso; and by torso, I mean both side torsos and the center torso with the engine removed. Fitting two is actually impossible.

The best you get is the "Snub Nosed" version of the long tom, which is basically a very short range howitzer, or the Long Tom's smaller brothers(The Sniper and Thumper artillery pieces), or if your okay just lobbing large missiles, the Arrow IV system.

Though, actual artillery pieces would be pretty pointless in MW:O as the damage from arty pieces isn't impressive(A Long Tom is 30 Tons and only hits for 25 damage, an Arrow IV weighs 12(C) or 15(IS) and does 20 damage), it's the long range. LRMs hit from about a hex map and a half away, Arrow IV hits from 8 maps away, and Long Toms hit from 25 maps away. At the map size and ranges that MW:O plays at, LRMs are better than Artillery, and LRMs are shit, so real Artillery is would be even worse.

Which is sad, because I have a soft spot for the Naga, because who doesn't love having integrated Arty/Anti Air support that can keep pace with Timber Wolves?

SomeWarlock on
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Back on topic, the idea of a Mobile Artillery Crab tickles me in ways I didn't think possible, so I whipped this up for you Padre:
    KGC-0MA.jpg

LONG TOMS ARE SO BIG THEY BREAK INTO THE ARMS!!! Also, 20 Heat per shot!!! Alpha both at your own risk!

That's the snub nosed version of the Long Tom for reference. Also, The snub nosed Long Tom generates 20 heat per shot, and the KC only has 10 DHS, so it's not shooting both of them without potentially shutting down/exploding.

• Options
    In other words equip artillery strike consumables for long tom love

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

You're not obligated to play just because there's an event, you know.

• Options
    edited March 2015

KGC-0MA.jpg

That's the snub nosed version of the Long Tom for reference. Also, The snub nosed Long Tom generates 20 heat per shot, and the KC only has 10 DHS, so it's not shooting both of them without potentially shutting down/exploding.

Hmmm. You make some compelling points. We can do better!

I call it, "The Padre". Cons: Can't fit Long Toms. Pros: Has forty salvos per gun of heat-neutral, continuous Sniper artillery love. Over six and a half minutes of barrage capability!

Certain overzealous pilots have been known to field-refit the mech for more ammo, stripping its minimal backup weapons for space.

The%20Padre.jpg

Download "The Padre" here!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    That head has 2 free crit slots?!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Small Cockpit (level 3 advanced rulebook tech).

• Options
    edited March 2015
    eQrbTVb.jpg

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »

Small Cockpit (level 3 advanced rulebook tech).

Who needs a spacious, extra-ton-consuming normal cockpit when you're sitting 18 mapsheets away from the fight?

Not this guy, that's who.

I imagine the feeling of piloting this 'Mech would be something like, "Plod to position, put back to convenient wall, point guns in air at appropriate angle to target, set canons to autofire, sip coffee." Snug as a bug in a rug.

Nips on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    CW event? Eeeh....

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

KGC-0MA.jpg

Hmmm. You make some compelling points. We can do better!

I call it, "The Padre". Cons: Can't fit Long Toms. Pros: Has forty salvos per gun of heat-neutral, continuous Sniper artillery love. Over six and a half minutes of barrage capability!

Certain overzealous pilots have been known to field-refit the mech for more ammo, stripping its minimal backup weapons for space.

The%20Padre.jpg

Download "The Padre" here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

• Options
    All this talk about Artillery Crabs and I figured someone would post this:

KGC-0000: Standard 275, 3 ER Large, 1 TAG, 4 LRM15 w/ 11 tons ammo

Why bother moving when you don't need to?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    All this talk about Artillery Crabs and I figured someone would post this:

KGC-0000: Standard 275, 3 ER Large, 1 TAG, 4 LRM15 w/ 11 tons ammo

Why bother moving when you don't need to?

I posted basically that a few pages back as a long range support crab:snap:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    On one hand, the TDR-9SE is the one thunderbolt I don't own, and its a champion mech, which means increased cbill gains with it (and since my premium time is about to run out, the more cbill boosted mechs I have the better)

On the other hand, the Stormcrow is probably a thousand times deadlier.

• Options
    On one hand, the TDR-9SE is the one thunderbolt I don't own, and its a champion mech, which means increased cbill gains with it (and since my premium time is about to run out, the more cbill boosted mechs I have the better)

On the other hand, the Stormcrow is probably a thousand times deadlier.

champion is XP, not cbills

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Merton BlaskMerton Blask Registered User regular
    One Weird Trick Clan Mechs Don't Want You To Know
    yl9pt2xi09mi.jpg

The secret is two Stalkers!

It would be like if the Queen woke you up every morning. Too special.
  • Options
    so ittl take roughly 10-15 hours to get the 20 points... doable. But do i want to...

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    On the one hand, I'd love to grind out the matches to get a Stormcrow into my Clan-side account.

On the other hand, I'm playing D&D this weekend, and probably drinking heavily as a side effect.

I think we all know which will win over my heart, mind, and liver for time this weekend.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So thanks to all the discussion lately I finally learn why my champion catapult looks like crap. Was wondering why when playing with the loadout it would strap these ugly boxes on the outside of these beautiful large car ports attached to its torsos. I just want them to go back and leave me to dream that I'm piloting a Robotech Phalanx but with boxes instead of cans!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    As much as I love the IS, I think I'm more inclined to choose the stormcrow as my reward. The thunderbolts competitiveness relies a lot on the good grace of its quirks (which may be taken away some day) . The stormcrow is amazing and will always be amazing.

If I were to drip right now, I think my drop deck would be:
    Stalker 4N laser vomit
    Misery (laser vomit lite with ac20)
    Raven 3L
    Hugginn

I think that comes out to 240 tons. Might ditch one of the Ravens for pirates bane and replace the Misery with my crab.... Which would still be 240.... Can I shave individual tons of armor or ammo from my lance to free up the 5 tons I'd need to replace the Misery with a crab?

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Handgimp What in the heck is going on with those screenshots? You playing on like a 5760x1080 pixel monitor?

Three monitors, I assume.

Correct

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    As much as I love the IS, I think I'm more inclined to choose the stormcrow as my reward. The thunderbolts competitiveness relies a lot on the good grace of its quirks (which may be taken away some day) . The stormcrow is amazing and will always be amazing.

Stalker 4N laser vomit
    Raven 3L
    Hugginn

I think that comes out to 240 tons. Might ditch one of the Ravens for pirates bane and replace the Misery with my crab.... Which would still be 240.... Can I shave individual tons of armor or ammo from my lance to free up the 5 tons I'd need to replace the Misery with a crab?

nope, your mech is 100 tons even if its a 5 ton empty shell.

• Options

Stalker 4N laser vomit
    Raven 3L
    Hugginn

Since the Oosiks are FRR, ALL of our matches are against Clans, which is a 250t drop deck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Yes, but I don't think I have an assortment of combat ready mechs that reaches 250. The extra ten 10 tons is almost a joke to me that I can't really take advantage of. That's why I wanted to underton some of my mechs to make room for a crab.

I suppose I could take my raven 3L, stalker 4n, and two catapults (I don't own any thunderbolts). But as much as I love my cats, they're assault mech huge and armored like the 65 ton mechs they are. I'd worry the cats would be a liability.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    If you are more comfortable with the 2x Stalker 2x Raven build, go with it (I like it the best). If you want to use the Raven, Locust, Stalker, Crab build, that works too.

EDIT: Its more important that you are in mechs that you will perform well with, than that you are in mechs that will max out your drop tonnage. (To an extent of course)

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cicadas are pretty solid and can have ECM: 85+85+40+40=250

My 3M with 4 Medium Lasers and an (U)AC5 has been in my deck since the beginning. I keep thinking about buying a second one, maybe running it with 3 Large Lasers.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Stalker 4N laser vomit
    Raven 3L
    Hugginn

BattleMechs don't function well with empty space, so they fill up the rest with concrete.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Stalker 4N laser vomit
    Raven 3L
    Hugginn

BattleMechs don't function well with empty space, so they fill up the rest with concrete highly engineered, precise, tactical ballast.

That will be 500,000 Cbills please.

• Options
    I really wish I could install armor modules on hardpoints internally ot provide a second layer of protection if I'm under weight and have no more hardpoints.

Like, I think my Atlas-S is chronically 5 tons under weight cause all slots and hardpoints are used.

• Options
  • Options
    I was think just big blocks of metal shoved into an empty weapons bay

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    maybe I should join the clan outfit for this one >.>

or maybe I'll just take the weekend off, since I played a lot for the lucky charms thing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    In case anyone was wondering, I have re-upped the Iron Oosiks contract with CGB for another 28 days. Apparently, I let it slip a few days without re-upping.

I have pushed my paper, and set reminders to continue monitoring contracts as appropriate. I apologize for the inconvenience!

• Options
    I really wish I could install armor modules on hardpoints internally ot provide a second layer of protection if I'm under weight and have no more hardpoints.

Like, I think my Atlas-S is chronically 5 tons under weight cause all slots and hardpoints are used.

AS7-S: 300STD, 16 DHS, 4x MLAS, 4x SRM6 (5t), AC20 (5t), 6 less than max armor 100t

Get in someones face, and Chain fire the SRM6 while precision striking with the AC20, use the MLAS to keep yourself warm. :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I replaced all my SRMs with LRM5s to have a long range punch during the poke and peak period on the Atlas S

Buttcleft on