As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Ball Xenoverse: Have you let Goku in to your heart?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I got the sense that was just a new wacky move you could do. Or maybe you can summon the cloud, and technically that's a "transformation".

Either way, the way I saw things as far as transformations go:

Humans: Kaio-ken
    Saiyans: Super Saiyan
    Majin: Kid form
    Frieza race: Golden form
    Namekian: Giant

Given how overpowered SS and KK were, the other races certainly got jacked, so it's great they're leveling the playing field. Then again it looks like they changed how SS works. Ki doesn't drain, but it's not infinite either, and apparently it can run out. So transformations in general seem dialed way down from the game breakers they used to be.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Everybody gets Kaioken and Potential Unleashed.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    You can also get hoverboards (and I guess Nimbus) to fly around on.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I got the sense that was just a new wacky move you could do. Or maybe you can summon the cloud, and technically that's a "transformation".
    Rewatching it, it didn't have the flashy intro cinematics and text the 'transformations' did.
    Either way, the way I saw things as far as transformations go:

Humans: Kaio-ken
    Saiyans: Super Saiyan
    Majin: Kid form
    Frieza race: Golden form
    Namekian: Giant

I'd say unlock potential for humans maybe? Or a berzerk mode Tien-style? Thinking back to Dragonball or DBZ times humans were not-useless.
    PLA wrote: »
    That in the video or assumption?

Also I can't unhear Nappas voice from DBZ:A from the title.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Speaking of DBZA Nappa. Do you think Takahata will be reprising his role as the comical patroller voice?

It was so much fun to wreck bosses with moves like the Tryhard Attack, or Advanced Geometry.

• Options
    Unlucky wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    That in the video or assumption?

Xenoverse.

• Options
    Yeah, in XV1, everyone got all forms of Kaiyoken and Potential Unleashed.

Though I guess humans were the best at using the latter, as their Regen could outpace the KI drain.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Oh, correction, it looks like you can't play as your old character.

You can import your save and this will allow you to encounter your old character in the story (to fight or help, your call) as you'll be jumping back to that timeline too.

Also, there'll be a big ol' holographic statue of your old character in the city center.

Your old character is known as the Hero of Toki Toki City.

edit- On the plus side specials are no longer tied to race.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Fun fact, Super Saiyan increased blast-damage by 1 % and strike-damage by a whopping 2 %. Super Saiyan 2 with its more costly upkeep doubles that bonus.
    Obviously, it can't be much more than that with spam-mechanics, but 1 sure is a number.

Kaioken x20 ups all damage by about 15 %.

Gohan's Potential was actually unique, and worked like SSJ3.

Axen wrote: »
    Oh, correction, it looks like you can't play as your old character.

You can import your save and this will allow you to encounter your old character in the story (to fight or help, your call) as you'll be jumping back to that timeline too.

Also, there'll be a big ol' holographic statue of your old character in the city center.

Your old character is known as the Hero of Toki Toki City.

edit- On the plus side specials are no longer tied to race.

What do you mean by specials?

PLA on
  • Options
    I'm not even certain actually, I think I just read the paragraph wrong.
    Nerdist: Outside of that, you can also expect a whole lot more customization options for your new character, including more race choices. That may not sound exciting, but remember that in the first game, your specials were tied to the race you chose to be (ie. Saiyan, Namekian, Human, etc).

Online stuff is the focus for XV2. This includes special events, quests, and missions.

• Options
    I think they mean the way that certain moves (buu buu ball, candy beam, all sword and power pole techniques) were limited to certain races.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I'm glad that they are letting you import your old character into the second game. I'm guessing you might get a few little treats for doing so but to keep everything from instantly breaking you're not going in at your own power.

I wonder if my SSV Fem saiyan emperor death beam spam will be as stupid powerful in 2 as it was in 1.

You're importing your old character as a previous hero and a 'mentor'. You don't play as them, at least your first playthrough.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Unlock Potential was DLC though, right? That always struck me as an after the fact "fix" of "Oh shit, transformations are OP and 3 of the races can't do it".

That and the Old Kai bonus trick that let you cheat the item drop rate.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'm just super glad that stats aren't going to be locked to clothing in XV2. We'll actually be able to Fashion Souls.

Also, Earthlings were the true OP in XV1 while Namekians and especially Majin were underpowered. Hopefully the races are much more balanced now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDsfkEbmWNY

Example of Xenoverse Human OPness.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Just so long as I can wear a halo at all times once again.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm just super glad that stats aren't going to be locked to clothing in XV2. We'll actually be able to Fashion Souls.

Also, Earthlings were the true OP in XV1 while Namekians and especially Majin were underpowered. Hopefully the races are much more balanced now.

I remember watching Dragon Ball Z Kai and getting to that part and remembering how absurd Tien is. Dude is a hero.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

I remember watching Dragon Ball Z Kai and getting to that part and remembering how absurd Tien is. Dude is a hero.

I can never read that guy...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Ki-ko-f**k yourself.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    I think they mean the way that certain moves (buu buu ball, candy beam, all sword and power pole techniques) were limited to certain races.

But a saiyan who can use Ill Bomber is a saiyan who can turn into amorphous demon-goo.

Unlock Potential was DLC though, right? That always struck me as an after the fact "fix" of "Oh shit, transformations are OP and 3 of the races can't do it".

That and the Old Kai bonus trick that let you cheat the item drop rate.

Kaioken was never exclusive to any race.

And it's plausible that Old Kai only told you about some variable that was already in effect.

• Options
    ...I swear I thought Kaioken was just humans and saiyans only. Huh. My mistake. :)

• Options
    All races had a slew of exclusive skills, z-souls, and clothing.

• Options
    I only remember one exclusive z-soul. More than one depended on exclusive skills to actually be of any use, though.

• Options
    Looks like they'll have stuff from a few of the movies and from Super too.

I'm hoping stats aren't linked to clothing. Not sure if the devs have talked about that yet. I know they have said there is a lot more clothing options this go around. Which is crazy since there was a fuckton of options in the first game.

Character creation is apparently far more robust. No particular details though.

Just like last time there'll be Japaense and English audio.

They've improved on the flow of combat and the animations. Everything should look and feel much more fluid.

There'll be mini games to play around the city. Some are race specific.

Steve Aoki is doing a few tracks for the game. He is apparently a real big fan of DBZ and they even put him in game as an NPC. I'm actually not familiar with him, but those who are are very excited.

As I had to correct, you can import your save from the first game, but you will not be able to play that character. However, if you do import then you will encounter your old character during the story. Being a friend or foe is apparently up to you.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll use the clothes you were wearing when you import

Because if so I'm gonna have to dress my huge dude with grey hair up a little better because right now he's wearing the GT Trunks outfit

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I also hope that clothing is just a cosmetic thing or hell keep stats but give us "Cosmetic slots."

Also i named my Female sayian Tamanegi a veggie themed named seemed aprops.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    this should be fun. Id rather hulk out like roshi as a human.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll use the clothes you were wearing when you import

Because if so I'm gonna have to dress my huge dude with grey hair up a little better because right now he's wearing the GT Trunks outfit

This seems to be the case.

The devs also mentioned that a certain amount of your clothing items you have in your XV1 game will also be imported. Though they didn't explain how many or what exactly will be imported.

Axen on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll load it up and try to collect a bit more clothing before the sequel drops

Never bought the DLC though and at this point it feels kind of dumb to even bother

• Options
    I made eight characters because I could make eight characters.

All I could gather is that an old save will result in a cashmoney reward to more easily buy back the stuff you had.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I started with a Namekian. Then after beating the game, I made a female human and realized what I'd been missing. I also have a Freezan and a female Majin (named Hakuna) somewhere. But the human is too much fun not to play as whenever I get on.

Enlong on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I mean, really. The primary reason to make a majin is to up your pun game. Granted, this is true with a saiyan as well.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Heck, every race other than human gives you an opportunity for puns. Majins and Namekians even give you two possible themes (magic words or Disney lyrics and slugs or musical instruments, respectively)

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Male human has some good animations.

Humans actually have the highest stats for skill-damage, and only lose to male saiyans for basic-damage. Human basic-bonus for full Ki is about equal to one saiyan zenkai-bonus, so they can more than match a saiyan male before HP-crisis. Can't match the second zenkai of a revived male saiyan, though, and I think the second zenkai of a revived female saiyan is pretty hard to beat for skill-damage.

I used dumb Akira Toriyama-names for everybody. Humans are random food or other gimmicks. The least gimmicky name is Mark, and his daughter is themed after his stage-name instead.

PLA on
  • Options
    I named a Frieza race character Burrgh.

Yes. I wear the clever pants in the family.

• Options
    ...I should make a human specializing in sword skills named Soy.

• Options
    I named the fridge "Cure".

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Yeah my human had green hair and pink outfits and was named Pitaya after the fruit.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I really want to get back into this now and max my level. I might do some PQs this weekend. Anyone on the PS4 want to goof off?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I liked xenoverse up until I needed to get all of the skills. That fucking grind was ridiculous and really soured me on the game. If 2 has the same ridiculous system then I am out. Otherwise I will probably pick it up on sale.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Oh wow.

My kid loves Dragonball (and also loves playing Xenoverse) and she caught me watching the Lord Slug Abridged. So at the end, when Lord Slug is writing to Guru and says he's the evil half after they split from the same being, she said, "That's not possible" in the most deadpan way a six year old can muster.

Also, my four year old watched the Season 2 Kai Abridged video, so now everytime she raises her hands, it'll go like this.

Me: Stop it.

No

Me: Stop it.

No

Me: Stop. It.

Thbbbbt

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.