As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everything [Battlefield] - Rumor: BF5 Set In (Alternate Reality?) World War I

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Fuck it, I caved and bought it.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Started the single player campaign and basically just played through the prologue...is that all we get of the Harlem Hellfighters, because if so thats some bullshit right there.

That aside, this game kinda makes me sick in a war is hell kinda way. Its definitely depressing, thats for sure.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Started the single player campaign and basically just played through the prologue...is that all we get of the Harlem Hellfighters, because if so thats some bullshit right there.

That aside, this game kinda makes me sick in a war is hell kinda way. Its definitely depressing, thats for sure.

I'm really glad they completely changed the tone from the heroic, triumphant fare in the other Battlefield games to an appropriately somber design. It'll be interesting to see if this holds for future games, though I doubt it.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Suriko wrote: »

I'm really glad they completely changed the tone from the heroic, triumphant fare in the other Battlefield games to an appropriately somber design. It'll be interesting to see if this holds for future games, though I doubt it.

Well, to be fair, WW1 didn't exactly scream "America, fuck yeah!" (which, according to video games, didn't start until late into WW2). I have a feeling that having any tone other than somber for the "Seminal Catastrophe of the 20th Century" would have met with a bit of backlash.

EDIT - that is, unless, folks have no (or, to be charitable, little) knowledge of WW1.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Well, to be fair, WW1 didn't exactly scream "America, fuck yeah!" (which, according to video games, didn't start until late into WW2). I have a feeling that having any tone other than somber for the "Seminal Catastrophe of the 20th Century" would have met with a bit of backlash.

EDIT - that is, unless, folks have no (or, to be charitable, little) knowledge of WW1.

WW1 was treated more like WW2: The prequel, when I was in school. Didn't go into a ton of depth on it, like they did WW2. I guess no one really cared about the Armenians?

Probably also the fact most of the people involved in WW1 were close to 90 at that point, if they were still around at all, so less of a presence to remind people of it.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The song "Over There." is, I guess, the "America, fuck yeah!" equivalent... that and all the jazz music. Jazz had a way bigger effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC9m3Xie3uk

Edit: And if EA/DICE wants to continue the tone of "War fucking sucks." they can go to the untapped area known as the Korean War. The Chosin Reservoir was a whole lot of suck; to put it lightly. And we didn't exactly win this war.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    You know what's really cool? You can play the early missions while the later ones are still downloading.

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    My video here captures my Bf1 experience thus far;

https://youtu.be/qdhKEDBun14

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Well I almost had my order of cristopher medal and my squad mates all spawned on me before I got the last kill and let the enemy right into us. All I could see was my squaddies legs. Support is def not ideal on most maps for a kill streak for me.

Edit: Woo finally got it later on. Was really difficult trying to figure out what counts towards the kills. You can't use any of your gadgets, only guns. Most maps have SO MANY flank routes that it gets difficult for sure! In other happenings, hit rank 10 support!

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    The BAR is far more forgiving than I remember it being in DoD. The small mag has been an issue in some CQ situations.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I only need 10 fighter plane kills to get the Icarus medal but damn that plane has a pea shooter that requires you to be extremely precise, I can't kill anything for the life of me with that plane.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Operations is awesome. Hope people stick with it. The argonne section as brutal

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    I've played through the entire conquest rotation in one sitting today, the game is amazing! The beta was already superb, and there have been some really good balance changes between it and release. Tanks are significantly less OP, behemoths are now killable, fewer vehicles in general, medic changes, etc etc.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The song "Over There." is, I guess, the "America, fuck yeah!" equivalent... that and all the jazz music. Jazz had a way bigger effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC9m3Xie3uk

Edit: And if EA/DICE wants to continue the tone of "War fucking sucks." they can go to the untapped area known as the Korean War. The Chosin Reservoir was a whole lot of suck; to put it lightly. And we didn't exactly win this war.

Man now I've been pondering this bf:Korea it's got some potential to be such an interesting atmosphere. Lots of untouched areas of history there with an almost ww2 cast of countries.

<3 ww2 weapons. The Thompson holds a special spot in my heart along with the Lee Enfield.

This game itches alot of good spots for an fps. I just need me some hardcore mode.

canuckont on
    I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    I finally played medic. Cause I don't do well with the semi auto weapons.but man they did something to the weapons. Wowza.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToyD wrote: »
    I finally played medic. Cause I don't do well with the semi auto weapons.but man they did something to the weapons. Wowza.

According to Symthic, medic weapons deal double the per-shot damage as assault and support weapons. At any given range, it'll take 3-4 body shots to kill. In other words, medics are all packing BF4 DMRs.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

According to Symthic, medic weapons deal double the per-shot damage as assault and support weapons. At any given range, it'll take 3-4 body shots to kill. In other words, medics are all packing BF4 DMRs.

That, uhh, explains a whole lot actually.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I can't seem to make the auto loading rifles work for me. It seems like any movement at all while shooting throws off your aim massively. It's hard to find a window to stand still in this game as well, what with the metric tons of explosives going off all around at all times. Am I missing some key piece of information that makes them so deadly in the hands of everyone else?

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Despite how anachronistic the limpet mines are, they suit my suicidal tendency to charge armor with explosives.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Bought this due to poor impulse control... on Xbox One... which I can't aim for shit on, but I'm there. How do I get to die with you fine gents?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »
    I can't seem to make the auto loading rifles work for me. It seems like any movement at all while shooting throws off your aim massively. It's hard to find a window to stand still in this game as well, what with the metric tons of explosives going off all around at all times. Am I missing some key piece of information that makes them so deadly in the hands of everyone else?

My terrible piece of advice in general is once you've fired your weapon and hopefully killed a guy, immediately displace to somewhere else. Most weapons, other than the shotguns, are going to get you murdered up close against more than 1 enemy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »

My terrible piece of advice in general is once you've fired your weapon and hopefully killed a guy, immediately displace to somewhere else. Most weapons, other than the shotguns, are going to get you murdered up close against more than 1 enemy.

To add in my horrible advice:

1) take off the bayonet so you can ADS quicker (it'll help with the close/mid range engagements as you side-strafe while ADsing)
    2) avoid hip-firing - I've had people stand inside 5m of me (to the point where my widest crosshair bloom encompasses the entirety of my target's body) and the majority of my hip-fired shots (prior to getting insta-gibbed by a shotgun or SMG) completely miss

Now, I haven't had much luck hanging out in windows, but shadows in alleyways or nooks around buildings/rocky outcroppings? Those are your bestest of friends. As was mentioned several posts back, there's something up with the color palette that makes it incredibly difficult to see people in certain lighting situations...abuse the everliving crap out of that.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    "Shit shit fuck fuck fuck shit! Ah, I give up..."

https://gfycat.com/SparklingDeliriousBillygoat

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I get the feeling the Mondragon Storm's headed for a nerf. Every medic I see (which is very few... sigh) uses it, including me. No other gun seems to get close.

• Options
    Unless you really like revolvers, I cannot recommend the Bulldog. It is a fixed cylinder design so it takes forever to reload.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Despite how anachronistic the limpet mines are, they suit my suicidal tendency to charge armor with explosives.

they're also great for taking down buildings and killing snipers above you. You can blow out entire floors with them.

253J736.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    @Banzai5150 my gamer tag is IILudariumII. I'll probably be on most of the day tomorrow. @Mulletude shoot me an invite, too, if you're on. We only need 2 more people for a full squad.

Speaking of squads, I saw a recommendation somewhere that squad leaders should look like officers and I thought that was a really cool idea. Maybe give the character model a big twirly moustache. Or like, a dapper sash or something.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    Well, I finally had an evening to sit down and play after being out of town since release, and I guess I'm another victim of this bug.

The beta worked just fine.. Just one Battlefield release without a major issue for me would be stellar.

• Options
    Unless you really like revolvers, I cannot recommend the Bulldog. It is a fixed cylinder design so it takes forever to reload.

Why would you ever use anything other than the m1911?

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »

Quicker TTK close range and potential for a one shot kill from a headshot.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    The rank 10 unlock for the support class is great! The one downside is the small magazine, but I can hit things with it omg! It is not good for just general suppression of a choke point, that's the 200 round lmg. But the huon is sooooo nice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I get the feeling the Mondragon Storm's headed for a nerf. Every medic I see (which is very few... sigh) uses it, including me. No other gun seems to get close.

Why is that? Seems just like the CR to me. And the SL 1907 Sweeper and S 1916 are both excellent in their own right. What am I missing?

• Options
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular

Because the C96 also exists in this.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    downer wrote: »
    Well, I finally had an evening to sit down and play after being out of town since release, and I guess I'm another victim of this bug.

The beta worked just fine.. Just one Battlefield release without a major issue for me would be stellar.

I literally went and updated my 770 to a 1060 to stop this bug. Don't get it anymore! It's totally bullshit though!

• Options
    Mechanical wrote: »

Because the C96 also exists in this.

That gun looks way too silly, especially when it starts getting any of it's modifications on it.

I do admit, it is amazing what they managed to do with that gun though.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    downer wrote: »

I literally went and updated my 770 to a 1060 to stop this bug. Don't get it anymore! It's totally bullshit though!

I'm not sure if it's the same bug, but I had a similar crash. Unplugging my second monitor let me play for about 5 hours straight. On average I was crashing once every two hour or so.