Options

Thinking of leaving my wife

tdon5069tdon5069 Registered User regular
I'm in a bit of a panic, and almost don't know where to begin.

I've been married since 2008, and we've been together since 2002. We have a son, he's going to turn 2 this summer.

I'm no longer in love with my wife. I could probably list all the things I find bad about her or the relationship but if I'm being honest, she's a great girl and I still care for her. She's the mother of my son and she's a great mom. But I'm no longer happy. I've spent years trying to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it, or at least get it better. And I'm out of ideas and frankly out of a desire to put any more effort into fixing things.

I think it boils down to us getting together too early, and me never really living a life apart to find out what I really wanted. So this post is part cathartic and part looking for advice. I've decided I'm going to give things a few months, maybe this is just a mid-life crisis and in 3 weeks I'll look back and feel stupid for thinking about this. Having said that, I feel things are coming to a head, as I'm no longer able to really 'fake it' and it's becoming obvious to her that I'm mentally somewhat checked out. We're going to have the talk eventually and I just know that I'm going to do whatever to appease her and avoid the messy confrontation.

I guess my question is, how do I end this, or should I just devote myself to making the best out of this situation? I kind of feel like separation is inevitable, we've been having the same fight for the last 8 years or so and each time it's a little worse. Is it better to move on now while we still have some hope of working together for the best interests of our son?

Another thing that makes it so hard is I know she'll fight tooth and nail to keep me around. I tried ending it once before, about a year before we got married but during the big long fight/conversation I caved and then things were ok again for a while. I think it would be easier if I knew she hated or disliked me or something. But she doesn't. She's also sacrificed a lot for us to get where we are. So really part of why I haven't done anything yet is guilt. But surely guilt's not a good reason to stay in a relationship right?

I also am afraid of the logistics, telling friends and family, and where do I go what about money and our son's daycare/preschool, etc.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Whats the fight you've been having for 8 years about and why haven't you guys been able to resolve it?

• Options
    Basically she goes into my e-mails and facebook accounts and looks for instances of me making any complaint about her to any of my friends, or compliments to someone she feels threatened by.

In essence it's a fight about my own privacy, and her inability to trust me or respect my personal space. Which of course leads to more resentment which leads to more fights.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    so basically she has repeatedly, and without care, violated both your privacy and your trust, for years.

• Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    From the vague information have, sounds like you might have given her a reason in the past to mis-trust.

Try counseling? Therapy?

No relationship will last long term if there is a trust issue from both parties involved.

In the end have to do what makes you happy, so things don't get worse and someone does something they regret for a lifetime. Will need some type of relationship with her at least the next16-22 years with having a child togther.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    Yes and no. I think in her mind she has legit reasons to think I'm flirting with people online or something. I never have, but it's always there in the back of her mind I guess. It's really not the biggest issue I personally have right now. It's kind of tertiary to everything else, but it's a source of friction and the last time she came across something was a month ago and she asked me to stay at my parents for a few days. (The issue this time was she vetoed me from going to a friend's birthday party because she found the friend too good looking, I told the friend on facebook that my wife vetoed it - which I realize I shouldn't have done). Which is why I think separation is inevitable. Each time the fight happens she takes it a bit further.

She also mentioned during the fight that she thought the only reason I was still in the relationship was a fear of being alone. Which is something I've dwelt on the last month or so and realized maybe she's right.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    tdon5069 wrote: »
    Yes and no. I think in her mind she has legit reasons to think I'm flirting with people online or something. I never have, but it's always there in the back of her mind I guess. It's really not the biggest issue I personally have right now. It's kind of tertiary to everything else, but it's a source of friction and the last time she came across something was a month ago and she asked me to stay at my parents for a few days. (The issue this time was she vetoed me from going to a friend's birthday party because she found the friend too good looking, I told the friend on facebook that my wife vetoed it - which I realize I shouldn't have done). Which is why I think separation is inevitable. Each time the fight happens she takes it a bit further.

Wait, am I reading this right? She vetoed you going to your friend's birthday party because she judged the friend too good-looking and in her mind that's a legit reason to assume you're being unfaithful after 14 years being fateful to her, and you agreed and didn't attend the party and told your friend why, and she got into your FB and read your private message to your friend and got upset at you for telling your friend why you weren't attending the party, and kicked you out of the house and back to your parents for a few nights over it?

And you're telling us that this type of behaviour has been getting worse over the years, and that it is tertiary compared to other issues you're having with her?

sig.gif
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Two things:

First, the couples counseling is a good idea. You clearly have differing ideas of what acceptable levels of privacy are, it's possible you'll be able to resolve it.
    But I'm no longer happy. I've spent years trying to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it, or at least get it better. And I'm out of ideas and frankly out of a desire to put any more effort into fixing things.

Second, are you talking about your relationship here or are you talking about you? Your relationship complaint so far is something that (to you) is relatively minor and you dismiss out of hand. If you somehow expect the major shakeup of your life to just magically end with you happy I think you've got a major misconception there and wouldn't suggest blowing up your life because of it.

Basically, if you're actually unhappy because of the relationship then ending it is one thing, if you are just unhappy and happen to be a relationship then ending it isn't going to do anything about being unhappy.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Richy wrote: »

Wait, am I reading this right? She vetoed you going to your friend's birthday party because she judged the friend too good-looking and in her mind that's a legit reason to assume you're being unfaithful after 14 years being fateful to her, and you agreed and didn't attend the party and told your friend why, and she got into your FB and read your private message to your friend and got upset at you for telling your friend why you weren't attending the party, and kicked you out of the house and back to your parents for a few nights over it?

And you're telling us that this type of behaviour has been getting worse over the years, and that it is tertiary compared to other issues you're having with her?

Well it became one of those fights where she drags out stuff from years ago and gets madder and madder. When you put it like that it sounds pretty bad, and it was pretty bad. But what I mean by tertiary is that if it was just a fight over stupid stuff like that, or just an issue of facebook privacy I could fix that. I could make sure to always log out, or to change how I talk to people.

It's tertiary because it's fixable if I want to fix it. The real issue now is that I've gotten to the point where I don't want to fix it anymore. Edit: it's a bit more than that too, it's all the little things added up to the point that, while I care for her, I no longer feel like we're in love, and no longer want to have a physical relationship with her.
    Two things:

First, the couples counseling is a good idea. You clearly have differing ideas of what acceptable levels of privacy are, it's possible you'll be able to resolve it.
    But I'm no longer happy. I've spent years trying to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it, or at least get it better. And I'm out of ideas and frankly out of a desire to put any more effort into fixing things.

Second, are you talking about your relationship here or are you talking about you? Your relationship complaint so far is something that (to you) is relatively minor and you dismiss out of hand. If you somehow expect the major shakeup of your life to just magically end with you happy I think you've got a major misconception there and wouldn't suggest blowing up your life because of it.

Basically, if you're actually unhappy because of the relationship then ending it is one thing, if you are just unhappy and happen to be a relationship then ending it isn't going to do anything about being unhappy.

Counselling would have been good a few years ago I think. I think the problem for me right now is that I don't want to fix things, I think I'm just ready to move on. But I'm freaking terrified of it or how to do it. Like I said, I objectively think she's a good person, and I still care about her. I don't want to hurt her but I feel like I have to choose between being unhappy, or hurting her. It's a lose-lose for everyone.

And when I say I'm unhappy, I mean in my relationship. I'm happy at work, or the gym, or listening to music and hanging out with friends. But weekends and after work are times of anxiety, stress and depression.

tdon5069 on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    What you describe as "fixable" is what other people would describe as "going to great lengths to protect your privacy from the person whom you should trust the most". I have a friend whose wife has similar issues, and the problem does not go away or become more manageable. It simply continues on, forever, as a sort of psychological water torture. Drop. Drop. Drop.

Whether or not you want to continue with that situation is entirely up to you - nobody is perfect, and we all have issues to deal with. But it sounds an awful lot like you are having an anxiety reaction to what you know is an untenable long-term position, which is to suck it up and ride things out until the next incident.

Couples counseling is definitely something you should consider. Or, at the very least, some sort of counseling for yourself. As you and others have noted, perhaps there is something else outside of the relationship, that is also causing you some problems, and having a professional help you to identify and work through them may be a good thing. For one, the mid-life crisis is a cliche because it's a real thing, and people go through it in different ways.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Have you tried actually discussing with her how it's upsetting you that she's violating your privacy?

What about setting boundaries on things she has a say about in the relationship?

Not hanging out with friends because there's someone there that's hot is not a valid thing she can veto, for instance. That's actually pretty typical of people in abusive relationships.

Honestly to me it looks like the issue is lack of communication. You want one thing, she wants another, you're rolling over because it's easier to deal with than telling her no. It doesn't really seem like you hate her, just unhappy with the way she treats you.

Seems like sitting down and talking would be the best course of action. Don't get angry, don't yell, just lay it out and talk about what is and isn't acceptable. This is where you need to be honest too, you need to say if something's bothering you and work towards fixing that. It's okay to change your stances.

If she gets defensive or angry that you're taking a stand on privacy and your own wants and desires, you'll have your answer. Compromise is okay, and so is not compromising on things that are important to you. You just have to decide if these are the things making you unhappy. There's no reason you can't make this work. If it makes you uncomfortable that she's digging through your post history then tell her that. Just because you have nothing to hide doesn't mean you deserve that kind of stress and anxiety that comes with someone pouring over every detail of your private correspondences and taking words out of context.

Also you should have a discussion about bringing up past arguments into the fold. Something having meaning or context 8 years ago, or even 1 week ago, is not important in the here and now, even if they are tangentially related. You can't have a discussion about that, that's just nonphysical abuse against you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HollerHoller Registered User regular
    I was going to say couples counseling when I started reading, but then I got to the controlling, borderline abusive behavior, and yeah. I think you should leave.

Controlling who you're friends with, how you're "allowed" to engage with your friends, manipulating you back into a relationship you knew you needed to get out of after you decided to break it off... fucking yuck. The good traits you're pointing out, suggesting that it's not her fault, and how it's really your problem... that all seems pretty textbook for domestic abuse victims. Manipulative, controlling, and abusive people all have good traits that their partner can point to as a reason they're wrong for leaving. Her good traits may be great, but they change absolutely nothing about the fact that she's exerting control over you instead of functionally, supportively loving you, and has already suffocated your relationship to death.

I'd say exactly what I have said to female friends in this same situation: get out asap, block all forms of communication, and find a therapist, possibly in addition to a support group for domestic abuse survivors.

But there's a kid to think of too.

So, do all of that, but first find a good divorce lawyer without leaving any trace of it where she'll find it. I dunno if that means a burner phone, second email account only accessed at work, or what. But you should get legal advice to have a plan in place for when you leave, because you likely need to rip the bandaid off quickly and cleanly to avoid getting dragged back in.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    If you care about saving the relationship, I would try counseling. If she's also committed to working on the marriage there's no reason it can't be fixed.

If you don't, then get out.

My only real advice is don't stay the course for another 10 years raising a kid in a loveless marriage until one of you finally decides to end it and you wish you had just dealt with it 10 years earlier.

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I have no advice to give regarding the logistics of a divorce, but I'll say this: if you're going to leave, now is a good time. Kids get over divorces easier the younger they are. My parents divorced when I was 2, and by all accounts it didn't affect me very much at all. I'm not sure I even realized that things had changed in a fundamental way, or that there was anything unusual about the fact that my dad no longer lived with us. It would be much more difficult for your kid if you waited a few more years and then went through a potentially messy divorce.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    But it sounds an awful lot like you are having an anxiety reaction to what you know is an untenable long-term position, which is to suck it up and ride things out until the next incident.

I didn't know how to put this into words. This has been more or less how I've felt for a while now.

Ok thanks for the advice everyone. I'm actually a (former) divorce lawyer (I've happily moved to less depressing areas of practice), but I want us to resolve this amicably where we can continue to co-parent but live apart.

We've had the discussion multiple times about privacy, she always apologizes and feels super bad, but then 4-6 months later we're back at it again. But like I was saying before, it's really not the major issue, it's just the one that I think will eventually lead to separation if I don't end things on my own terms now.

Mostly I'm just terrified of the confrontation involved in ending it. I feel like if there ever is a direct conversation about it, I'll change my mind and say nothing's wrong and everything's good and just fake it.

• Options
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    I have no advice to give regarding the logistics of a divorce, but I'll say this: if you're going to leave, now is a good time. Kids get over divorces easier the younger they are. My parents divorced when I was 2, and by all accounts it didn't affect me very much at all. I'm not sure I even realized that things had changed in a fundamental way, or that there was anything unusual about the fact that my dad no longer lived with us. It would be much more difficult for your kid if you waited a few more years and then went through a potentially messy divorce.

This is part of what is influencing my decisions right now as well. I want this to have the most minimal impact on him as possible.

• Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    I had a 2 year old when I got divorced and things got real ugly, real quick, so let me put in my $.02 here. Requisite IANAL, but I did represent myself in court and won, so take that as you will.

Before you talk divorce, and possibly cause a huge blow out, you might want to consult a lawyer. Often you can get a free consultation. You can do an entire divorce yourelf, especially if it's done amicably. However, things can get nasty and vindictive really quickly. I spent four years in court fighting my wife for custody of our son.

If I could do it all over again, here is what I would have done. You don't have to be divorced, or even be getting divorced to put a parenting plan in place. If you think that you could sit down with your wife and complete a parenting plan and lay out who gets custody, visitation, 50/50 split, whatever. If you can agree to a plan, and both of you sign it, you take it to your court house and file it, it's now an enforcable legal document, and no matter how the rest of the divorce goes, you have your parental rights spelled out, and going against the parenting plan is a big no no. Tell her whatever you want concerning this, but this it ultimately about protecting your rights as a Father. In a lot of states, you as a father are seen as kind of a leper in contrast to the Mother. Many fathers have a huge uphill battle, just to get equal treatment. (Not all states do this, so your mileage may vary, but in many of them, the mother can get full custody for no other reason than she is the mother, and you could end up fighting to get a couple days a month.)

If you don't do this, you need to know something. When you go to court, the court is going to want to put in what they call a "temporary" parenting plan, because it all needs to be spelled out. Here is the thing about that; unless you and your wife agree on something else, the "temporary" parenting plan will become the "permanent" plan, because the judge will not want to make a change to womething another judge put in place. In many states, the Mother gets custody by default. This may be what you want, but you should still know your options/rights.

P.S. Many courts will require that you take a parenting class, or a lawyer might request that the other parent take a parenting class, which if the court agrees, it's now a court mandated parenting class. This means if you can't complete the class, you fail the courts requirements and can lose access to you kid. You should be proactive and look into taking a parenting class now. Most of them will be one night a week for several weeks. I took one during my divorce, and I actually learned a lot of great stuff that helped me to be a better parent, but it also looked really good when my wife's lawyer tried to make me take one, and I told the court that I was already attending one, and had a completion date coming up before my next court date. The Judge did not make mine mandatory, pending my completion certificate, which was on file the next time I went to court.

I wish you the very best of luck in any case, and I hope everything can be done amicably.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That is straight up emotional abuse. When you finally leave her and the dust has settled, the world will never have looked so good to you.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is a aside, I dont know how detailed you were to the friend that was too attractive, but if you can (even if its way later) apologize for the whole thing. Its kinda a shitty feeling to have a friends significant other say that you cannot be trusted around committed men because your are skinny/attractive/whatever.

I realize that its not your fault and you shouldn't have to, but just telling her somthing like "hey, Im sorry I mentioned it to you, and we are working out some stuff and I just want you to know you didn't do anything at all to warrant what happened" maybe nice.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Regardless of what decision you make re: your marriage, I hope everything works out for you, buddy. Especially for the sake of your kid.

• Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support and kind words - I know why I love this place :). You've given me a huge amount of stuff to think about. I'll check in over the next few weeks/months. This is really scary.
    Iruka wrote: »
    This is a aside, I dont know how detailed you were to the friend that was too attractive, but if you can (even if its way later) apologize for the whole thing. Its kinda a shitty feeling to have a friends significant other say that you cannot be trusted around committed men because your are skinny/attractive/whatever.

I realize that its not your fault and you shouldn't have to, but just telling her somthing like "hey, Im sorry I mentioned it to you, and we are working out some stuff and I just want you to know you didn't do anything at all to warrant what happened" maybe nice.

I didn't even think of this, I'm going to do it immediately.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Ok, social worker here that does not strictly focus on couples counseling. I have worked with a lot of abusive families in my time though. The following is my personal, and not professional opinion however. I give you my credentials only because I want you to know when I say this is some seriously fucked up shit you know what I am comparing it to.

Straight up, this shit is abusive. The fact that her controlling what you say seems a tertiary issue is gods damned horrifying. Leave. Run. Run far and fast. Get the best family law lawyer you know working for you yesterday and run to the other side of the city. I would normally say country but there is a kid involved.

Seriously think about this. She controls what you say. Your words are filtered by her for no reason other than she wants to be in control. This is not healthy. Checking through all of your messages to begin with is fucked. 14 years in is unheard of by me, and I have seen some realy fucked up relationships in my time.

Yes you love her, and I am certain she loves you in a way. All abusers have their form of love. Their form of love is toxic and selfish though. It destroys those that they trap completely and totally. It is built around making you think they are so great, and how lucky you are to have them.

I know this is incredibly scary. The fear is understandable. When everything is awful it becomes easy to go with the flow of awful. Change is scary cause it's unknown. Leaving will be good for you though. Go get counseling for yourself as well. This is ludicrously bad for you from what you have described, so I realy can't imagine what else is going on.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    As a former divorce lawyer, I'm sure you've seen things at their very worst, and know something of the difficult path that could lie before you.

But think of the advice you would have given a client in your shoes. And at least in this case, you can keep one party in this matter reasonable and focused on an amicable separation.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I just want to chime in and say that I know you don't seem to think that the facebook snooping and related activities is a big deal, but that is because it has been going on for so long you see it as normal

there is a reason that the outside observers in this thread are so shocked at the things you are saying.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I was in a relationship where the fact that I had to password protect my computer very carefully (and come up with a plausible reason for doing it so he didn't think I was just trying to keep him out) was like, the LEAST of the things going on there.

I can go into that aspect of that one, at least, and you can see if it sounds familiar. But honestly, it sounds to me like you know what you want to do and you just need to strengthen your resolve to do it.

It's going to be like a thousand forklifts.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I spent 6 years in a relationship like that, op.

I agree with Ceres. Things will feel so much better when it's behind you

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Everyone else has already said what needs to be said, but one thing in particular I want to emphasize is that it is better for your son to have both parents happy and separate than together and miserable. My parents should have never gotten married, let alone stayed together for 20+ years constantly fighting and bickering with each other. Especially when that anger and discontentment will inevitably trickle down at times to influence how you parent.

Never, ever listen to anyone who says you should stay together "for the sake of the children" because they either don't know what they are talking about or they're being willfully obtuse. If parents don't like one another, the best thing for the kids is for the parents to be separate.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    The only "for the children" that really matters here is trying to get full custody of you kid if you are capable of raising a child yourself, Don't let your child grow up in the same environment you've been suffering in for far too long.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    The only "for the children" that really matters here is trying to get full custody of you kid if you are capable of raising a child yourself, Don't let your child grow up in the same environment you've been suffering in for far too long.

This a thousand times. That will be a more protracted battle that I think you are well equipped for given your former speciality. Or at the least know who to put on retainer.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'm going to disagree with many of the posters in this thread who say 'leave, run, yesterday'. While it sounds like there are deep and possibly unresolvable issues in this relationship, they don't seem to be beyond resolution. Only OP knows for sure what is best for him and his family, and if leaving is the best choice it should be considered and something they are sure about, not a short term decision.

I would recommend more open dialogue - preferably with a couple's counselor - where these issues can be discussed and dealt with.

The control / checking up issues do seem serious, but it would depend on the context. I'm not trying to blame the victim here and it could easily be an abusive situation, but I don't think it's as clear cut this is an unresolvable abusive situation. If there were trust issues that arose in the past and OP took a 'nothing to hide - see for yourself' attitude, it could be understandable why their wife finds this behavior acceptable. It's not clear if the ongoing fight was over things OP has said / she discovered, or if the fight was over OP's wife checking up. I do have a bit of concern over OP suggesting as a solution 'well, I'll just log out of my accounts', because it's not addressing the problem itself.

I will tell OP though, that being unhappy is a big thing, but it's also not unusual. There are a combination of factors in play that cause a lot of problems in a marriage - a young child and the changes / stress parenthood brings, the 'seven year itch' of regret / what-if, etc. Postpartum depression can affect both men and women, and can continue for well over a year. The stress on a relationship that can result from postpartum depression can be even longer-lasting.

Another thing that I find quite concerning is that OP is being kicked out of the house for days at a time. When this is happening, the fight isn't getting resolved - it's just being put on a back burner until it comes up again. I don't know how OP and his wife fight, but leaving or being kicked out of the house is pretty damn serious.

I think that OP should seek both individual counseling and couple's counseling before making a final decision on leaving his wife. He needs to let his wife know how he feels, and do it in an environment where it will be more than a fight that just dredges up the past issues. I can almost guarantee OP that if he tells her how he feels and why he wants to leave on his own without some mediation, it's just going to turn into a fight over some specific occurrence in the past. Instead of addressing and resolving the elephant in the room, they are going to fight over his pretty friend or something else.

As I said, I do think OP should spend some time and effort trying to turn his marriage into a happy one with professional help. If he's spent years trying to figure out why he's unhappy on his own, it can't hurt to spend a bit more time and effort trying to make his marriage better. All marriages go through rough times, but if it's not transient it's time to get out. As others have said, having two happy separated parents is better for a child than two unhappy married parents.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    By the time most couples seeks counselin it is already too late*. Sorry to say it, but that's what it is. When your spouse is editing what you say to your friends the line was crossed so long ago that it is a waste of everyone's time to even try honestly. There is nothing that could have come up in the past that can excuse logging into someones private account to make sure you don't say a single mean thing, which is what the OP has stated is true. There is no situation where that's not abusive. There is no situation where after 14 years that can translate into a healthy relationship without the abused having a ton of space for a very long time.

*By which I mean people should go earlier in the relationship when obvious problems are cropping up not after years of failing to address the problem itself.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I'm not trying to blame the victim here

Okay, but nevertheless that is exactly what you are doing. There's really no good excuse for any of this when it's been addressed repeatedly and the perpetrator just doesn't give a shit, looks apologetic, waits for the dust to settle, and does it again. There's no good excuse for telling your partner they can't go to their friend's birthday party because the friend is too pretty.

No, fuck that. There isn't a reason good enough to excuse that kind of behavior, especially after repeated requests that the person stop doing it and show some respect for the OP's autonomy.

If the OP is out of fucks to give, I do not blame them even a little. And see, I'm actually not blaming them, rather than saying "I'm not trying to blame you, but here's why it's probably your fault."

• Options
    I would also like to just make one other point crystal clear. There is a world of difference between a dysfunctional relationship, and an abusive relationship.

Dysfunctional ones, by definition, don't work. Both parties are unhappy and something is clearly not right. Both parties desperately want some kind of change, and it is a decent enough idea to go to a third party to get that help.

An abusive relationship is a functional one. It's function is to make the abuser happy and placated. This will occasionally translate into happiness for the abused, but that is not the typical routine. The abused is usually kept just happy enough to make them stick to the abuser. Usually this involves a lot of the abuser mentioning all the sacrifices they make for the family.

There is a bit more diversity in relationships beyond this, but that would bog down the discussion here with irrelevant information. The key point is that you can't treat a dysfunctional marriage like a functional one. The marriage is quite clearly functional but the function is awful.

• Options
    We just had a talk guys. It was fucking awful. I feel like I'm going to die.

I'm spending the night here and am going to find somewhere to crash tomorrow night.

Thanks for all your love and support.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    good luck man

sorry you're going through this

but if it helps, it DOES get better

• Options
    You can talk about it here if you want to, or if you'd rather you can PM me or anyone else who offers.

You'll get through this.

• Options
    Stay strong. It does help to chat about it when and how you can. No one should lie and say this is easy, but it is probably for the best.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    We just had a talk guys. It was fucking awful. I feel like I'm going to die.

I'm spending the night here and am going to find somewhere to crash tomorrow night.

Thanks for all your love and support.

Good luck man I hope it all works out

No one should have to live like they're in prison

• Options
    Thanks guys, I'm not usually public about these things which I think is part of the problem. If I had been more open and vocal earlier in the relationship maybe things would have been better.

She was very reasonable and understanding. It would have been so much easier if she hated me.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, I'm not usually public about these things which I think is part of the problem. If I had been more open and vocal earlier in the relationship maybe things would have been better.

She was very reasonable and understanding. It would have been so much easier if she hated me.

It's going to be ok. You know what is best in your situation, and things will get better.

It might seem harder because she was reasonable and understanding, but the next sixteen years will be much better if you don't have each other. It'll be rough for a while, but before you know it everything will be back to a new normal.

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    As a man who managed to get out of an abusive relationship a few years ago, I've been lurking this thread. I haven't said anything because it would have just been repeating the same stuff everyone else was saying.

But I wanted to offer to lend an ear in PMs if you need it, because when I was going through the aftermath and recovery from that relationship the people here were a big help. You're not alone and you don't have to be.

And yeah, it would be easier if she hated you, but if she's anything like my ex (who wasn't a bad person, but was most assuredly toxic and controlling in many ways), she's not going to let this be easy for you. It's important that during this time you have a support structure so that you don't crumble and go back to an abusive situation for lack of any other options.

Friends and hobbies are going to be critical. Cultivate both during this time because the more time you allow yourself to dwell on the situation, the worse it will be.