As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I betrayed ronya and made this [chat]

EddyEddy Gengar the BittersweetRegistered User regular
edited March 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Jaime-Lannister-jaime-lannister-23858870-532-680.jpg

sup fresh it's our turn baby

"and the morning stars I have seen
and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
Eddy on

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    ronya emerged from the pit i threw him into and made his own chat thread

what is this salty discharge from my eyes

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i support your betrayal

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I will roll with it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    both these chats are terrible

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I am a fan of betrayal.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    If art were the slightest bit threatening to fascists, we'd see some evidence of it.

Like Hitler burning books or Stalin purging artists or something like that.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    You did betray ronya.

Shaaaaame

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    both these chats are terrible

BEHOLD THE WEAKNESS OF THE MODERN ELECTORAL SYSTEM, SAME AS THE OLD SUCCESSION SYSTEM

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Feral wrote: »
    If art were the slightest bit threatening to fascists, we'd see some evidence of it.

I think there is plenty of evidence of work being destroyed throughout history, although maybe not by fascists. Destroying cultural artifacts (more difficult now) is a fantastic way to destroy said culture.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    Art is much more useful for the majority / tradition / power side, because anything revolutionary can easily be commodified and rendered harmless

therefore the only stalwart aide to revolutionaries is of course actually putting boots on the ground

anyway I managed to ctrl-c this before it closed

I think our political contexts are reversed

the majority are the good guys for me

the revolutionaries for me are the ones who want to fight against multiculturalism, feminism, tolerance and progressiveness

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I was thinking of a more personal fascism, you know?

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    st2cOPo.jpg

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options

Stalin was a fascist?

Not a fan of using fascist as a synonym for authoritarian. It's a specific ideology!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    st2cOPo.jpg

finally. art we can all agree on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Art is much more useful for the majority / tradition / power side, because anything revolutionary can easily be commodified and rendered harmless

therefore the only stalwart aide to revolutionaries is of course actually putting boots on the ground

the revolutionaries for me are the ones who want to fight against multiculturalism, feminism, tolerance and progressiveness

I'm so mad that it's always the far-right haters who are always willing to put boots on the ground and shoot guns in the air

my side endorses neither shoes nor guns

• Options
    or a synonym for whatever.

Anyway, I support this [chat] and want it to succeed as a small rebellion against the oppressive system under which we labour.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Stalin was a fascist?

Not a fan of using fascist as a synonym for authoritarian. It's a specific ideology!

I think russia under his rule hit enough of the fascist checkmarks for it to be a valid label

• Options

I'm so mad that it's always the far-right haters who are always willing to put boots on the ground and shoot guns in the air

then you're still in the middle

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

there is a sweet spot where the intelligentsia occupies a revolutionary role in an authoritarian state. after the Wall actually fell, polish intellectuals suddenly found their podium swamped by the people they worked to liberate

there was a talk here, the other day, that pointed out that singapore rapidly moved from having local artists rigidly regulated/intimidated to having literally more days with arts festivals than days without in the year. in both situations, the state is happy; any revolutionary content is discredited by the cheap sex and melodrama that dominate when art is easy.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Is Constitution really all that important for fighters?

It's got the Gold star and everything, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a high Might

I want to build two-handed melee warrior focusing more on DPS than tanking

Edit: Like, I'm looking at Chanters now. Constitution is gold starred - why? Why not Might instead? They both give a Fortitude bonus, and a Chanter is supposed to be DPSing things, at least relative to a Fighter or Paladin

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

Stalin was a fascist?

I think russia under his rule hit enough of the fascist checkmarks for it to be a valid label

the lack of a mixed economy is the main thing that disqualifies it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So now what? Do I just duplicate my posts in both [chat]s?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

Not really. Evil is evil for its own sake. It's not that they really think that, to use a more modern example, Pussy Riot is going to lead a glorious youth revolution against the entrenched kleptocracy of Russia; they are vain, malicious, and devoid of any redeeming moral qualities, so harming those who oppose them is not just a means, it is an end.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    "Writing about snow for rich people is not art" reminds me of the beginning of The Delta of Venus

• Options
    but yeah the nationalist turn that the USSR took under Stalin does blur the distinction a bit

then again the dictator's playbook doesn't seem to differ that much from regime to regime

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Is Constitution really all that important for fighters?

It's got the Gold star and everything, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a high Might

I want to build two-handed melee warrior focusing more on DPS than tanking

Edit: Like, I'm looking at Chanters now. Constitution is gold starred - why? Why not Might instead? They both give a Fortitude bonus, and a Chanter is supposed to be DPSing things, at least relative to a Fighter or Paladin

If you aren't fighting for the constitution then what kind of patriot are you? What are you fighting for?

I thought this was America!

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    What I don't understand is why it took this long to come up with two scrub tier chat OPs.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Stalin was a fascist?

Fair enough.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

Stalin was a fascist?

Fair enough.

despotism is, if not an ideology, at least always very familiar

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

I've always considered that a mistake. Just because you are the good guys doesn't mean you cannot or should not use many of the same tools, just towards a different end. The idea that just because our ultimate goals are peace, human dignity, development, equality, fraternity, etc. that we must allow insidious elements to develop like a cancer within our societies and poison us from within, or allow the barbarians outside the gates to hammer at our civilization to drag us back into perdition is absurd. Weakness is not virtue.

• Options
    shit it's so late that I'll soon need to make a decision about when to take the bus

and then starting to pack and shit

I think maybe another pint of old fashioned made with terrible scotch

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    no not terrible

cheap, cheap scotch

I am thrifty not trashy

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    shit it's so late that I'll soon need to make a decision about when to take the bus

and then starting to pack and shit

I think maybe another pint of old fashioned made with terrible scotch

There's so many horrifying things in this post

it's so perfectly Abdhyius

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    CeXkbNd.png

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    What I don't understand is why it took this long to come up with two scrub tier chat OPs.

I did the RL version of accidentally staying on cheetah speed as I was plotting in my chambers

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Jones!?!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

I blame eddy.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

I've always considered that a mistake. Just because you are the good guys doesn't mean you cannot or should not use many of the same tools, just towards a different end. The idea that just because our ultimate goals are peace, human dignity, development, equality, fraternity, etc. that we must allow insidious elements to develop like a cancer within our societies and poison us from within, or allow the barbarians outside the gates to hammer at our civilization to drag us back into perdition is absurd. Weakness is not virtue.

And abuse of power and the use of violence and force is not strength.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    speaking of I am annoyed that I never knew Finis Coronat Opus until I posted that mirror's edge screenshot.

I mean, I love that game so much but I never noticed it and I really like that phrase

anyway, the end does not crown the work

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Anime anime anime anime anime anime

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades