As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IT certifications

2»

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    If you want a really secure career, learn the "dead" stuff like COBOL. Seriously. Every large corporation have piles of legacy code on mainframes that very few people are available for looking at/reprogramming.

People are always saying that, but then when I search jobs for Cobol or machine language, they seem to have requirements like "must have 10 years job experience on Cobol" or something like that. I'm sure there's infinite job security once you get in, but where are the entry level jobs for that sort of thing?

Requirements are a lie.

I see requirements in technologies that aren't even that old.

I saw one the other day for "10 years of experience with Swift."

HR make up ridiculous things because they want someone "experienced" and don't know the first thing about the topics they're discussing.

This sounds true, but then how do you get past the first step in the interview process? Blatantly lie?

(I should note that Cobol is not something I've learned yet, just something I think it would be neat to learn and get a job doing, the job searches I've done are only cursory ones to see "could I really make a living out of this")

you disclose accurately in your resume. You bring some work or have some online. You're not lying, you're just taking the interview when/if no magic unicorn who actually has the 10 years shows up.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    If you want a really secure career, learn the "dead" stuff like COBOL. Seriously. Every large corporation have piles of legacy code on mainframes that very few people are available for looking at/reprogramming.

People are always saying that, but then when I search jobs for Cobol or machine language, they seem to have requirements like "must have 10 years job experience on Cobol" or something like that. I'm sure there's infinite job security once you get in, but where are the entry level jobs for that sort of thing?

Requirements are a lie.

I see requirements in technologies that aren't even that old.

I saw one the other day for "10 years of experience with Swift."

HR make up ridiculous things because they want someone "experienced" and don't know the first thing about the topics they're discussing.

This sounds true, but then how do you get past the first step in the interview process? Blatantly lie?

No, just apply. Trust me, there aren't COBOL programmers out the wazoo. If you apply for something you don't have all the "requirements" for, you're not lying, you're just reaching.

Most people do lie too.

... stretch the truth is probably more accurate.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I suppose you could just modify your resume to say "extensive experience" or my favorite, "fluent," with COBOL. Enough to get past the idiot HR department and then you can explain specifically in an interview.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    On the Forensics front:

You are probably going to need be an EnCE or be an AccessData Certified Examiner. You will need a flawless background (no felonies, minimal misdemeanors) because you are going to be testifying in court. The certs are written and hands on. They are also fairly expensive. Most CE's have a Bachelors in Computer Science, although that is not a rule.

You should bookmark the following:

http://packetlife.net/
    http://all.net/
    http://www.nist.gov/cyberframework/index.cfm#
    http://www.forensicmag.com/
    http://www.darkreading.com/threat-intelligence.asp

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    This is a topic I've been looking to approaching myself. I majored in Criminal Justice, and long story short it's a degree I've come to regret focusing on; the rate of hire just isn't there, and with government/city jobs it could be months of applying only to receive a "No" at the end.

I've been told for ages to get an IT certificate or two under my belt. The people who suggest this to me tend to justify it as "hey, you like computers and videogames, that's basically IT!". I've also been told that I could theoretically combine an IT cert with my Criminal Justice degree, as IT Security is something that is always in demand.

But "IT" is such a broad field that I wouldn't know what to specifically major in. I don't want to go down the college path again to spend the time and money only to end up with something that doesn't increase my odds of getting hired once I'm done. If I could find out which certs or degrees are in high demand I could probably come to a decision, but every time I try to Google it I end up with college ads claiming how their school is the best and their degrees are the top choices.

Hopefully if I stick to this thread I can get some ideas which path to take.

With that background, you might look into computer forensics.

Interesting.

Actually, one thing that would probably help me a ton would be to find a reliable site that gives information about a job, such as what the daily activities would be and what kind of salary it typically offers. Usually whenever I try to google something like that I keep getting college ads and whatnot.

On the subject, would anyone know the best way to receive financial aid or a grant? It looks like I'll have to go back to college either way, but since I'm lacking a steady source of income I would need to rely on a loan or financial aid. I've been told by people that being unemployed would actually increase my chances in this respect.

My friend has registered for Information Security in this school: https://www.palmbeachstate.edu/catalog/current/degrees-programs/computer-science-technology/information-security-ccc.aspx

He's confident that's where the job market is, and I'm willing to believe him, but I'm just so afraid of committing to another degree unless I'm reasonably certain I can find a career afterwards.

• Options
    Thought I'd update things here to see if I can continue getting advice: it looks like I'll be going through with enrolling for that certification I posted. Based on my transcripts at prior schools, I've already completed the first prerequisite class listed (Microcomputer Applications).

In total that leaves:

COP1000
    Introduction to Programming Logic
    CNT2000
    Network Technologies
    CTS2301
    UNIX Installation and
    Administration Using LINUX
    CTS2334
    Local Area Networks
    CTS2120
    Security Essentials
    CTS2314
    Attack Prevention and Detection
    Total Program Credits: 21

I've got two of the classes registered, beginning next week, and payment is due today. Currently I'm ineligible for Financial Aid due to already possessing a Bachelor's Degree. There are a few options available such as student loans and sending an appeal letter, but that's all pending stuff that can't happen until later. So these two classes are going to have to be out of pocket.

I was just hoping if I could get additional advice, mainly on whether this is a path worth taking. My friend is committed, saying that he's spoken to more than enough people that convinced him this will lead to huge employment opportunities. I have no reason to doubt an IT security certificate wouldn't be beneficial....certainly the job market would expand a lot more with that versus a Criminal Justice degree.

Again, just hoping for some last minute advice before I take the plunge.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    huge employment ops in your area?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    That's always been something I could never research properly. Any search terms I put in Google will mostly just give me the links to colleges and technical schools offering the degree in question.

My friend says he's talked to people, including FBI employees, who convinced him that the ops will be plentiful here, so I'm willing to take his word on it.

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular

Again, just hoping for some last minute advice before I take the plunge.

You've every right to be nervous. This is is a big step in your life, and if you didn't feel nervous, I would be concerned.

I want to allay your fears. Information Security is a total growth industry right now, and so multi-faceted from a disciplinary perspective, that I have a hard time believing anyone struggles for work in that industry (provided that you live in a good job market and aren't terrible at it). As a professional in that industry, there's no shortage of need of talented professionals in any of the major domains.

I do want you to start scouting Internship or entry level positions. You're going to need some practical experience to succeed in this field. Work every contact you have, and talk to every person you have too at your school to see if you can find any Intern/entry level gigs. You need to do this while concurrently completing your classes for certifications. Even if it's only a month or two, having something to put on your resume is clutch, and even if it's just something menial to the field of interest you're studying for, do it. Completing your certification + Security Degree + Any job xp should be your three highest priorities.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help. This is a big step, but you can do it! *brofist*