As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] sexy.code = new.underpants.required

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    No I legitimately hate that I'm that guy but I just can't stop myself.

It's cool. It wasn't a judgement call.

It just paralleled a situation that often happens at work and I relish every time I get to throw it back in someone's face.

I'm much much more likely to be nicer to them if they just own up to the fact they decided to interrupt me. Sometime's it's even valid that they did so.

But...they may legitimately also hate doing it. They may have to do it, but that doesn't mean they like it. Especially if you've carefully crafted an environment of unpleasantness when you are interrupted.

Which, I mean, is something we all ask that you maintain, for the sake of our industry. If someone says they hate to bother you, relish the fact that they hate it, drink it deep, and spew something out to help that seed grow.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    I think I'm the nicest guy our ISPs ever have to talk to, because I co-manage an ISP, and hate the hell out of everything on Earth as a result.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir, it appears we have an outage, would you like me to give you a call when it's over?"

Fuck no, that's ludicrous. Call everyone who called in while you had the world burning around your ankles? No. Thank you for answering the phone and telling me the truth. I'll go about my day. I will know when shit is back up. Thanks.

Thing is, I've played that game, too. Wait until everything's honky-dory, and call everyone? It's stupid. You're not comfortable calling anyone until you're 100% that you've fixed the problem, and you might need to bounce things one more time before you're done. By the time you get around to calling everyone, they already know, they've been using it, and "Why are you calling me? Gawd you guys are terrible, and so behind the ball!"

So I just don't do it anymore.

"Will you call me when everything's back up?"

"No, sorry, due to call volume during outages, by the time we get back to you, you will most likely be aware that connectivity has been restored."

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Why not just have a webpage with a status on it? :rotate:

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

but how will they get to it if their internet is down? How will they find out if their internet is working if they have to go to a website to check?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

but how will they get to it if their internet is down? How will they find out if their internet is working if they have to go to a website to check?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

This joke works on 3 distinct levels I feel like.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    ISP: to check to see if your service has been restored, please check our service status page, http://www.google.com

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Wouldn't it just be easier to email them when it's up?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options

In all seriousness, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this experience, I've had a boss who requested that I email everyone when our Exchange server was down.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

In all seriousness, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this experience, I've had a boss who requested that I email everyone when our Exchange server was down.

not a boss, but you can't know how many people have emailed me that their email isn't working. they would then call me 10 minutes later angry that i haven't acknowledged them.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    We have people that email us saying that their email is down. Obviously it isn't.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Why do computers make regular people so freaking stupid?

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Why do computers make regular people so freaking stupid?

There aren't enough car metaphors to help them understand anything.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I had to explain storage vmotion to an engineer yesterday. Who knew engineers were fucking idiots?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I had to explain storage vmotion to an engineer yesterday. Who knew engineers were fucking idiots?

I hope that's a joke. I work for a company with a bunch of engineers and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish for them to like, fall into a pit or something. Most of them couldn't engineer themselves out of a paper box, but my god, that ring on their finger apparently unlocks the douchebaggery gene.

Seriously, the guys I deal with literally design roadway systems, and yet heaven forbid you ask them to replace toner in a printer without breaking something.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    It's all technology's fault for being useful and usable without understanding it

• Options
    image_thumb.png?imgmax=800

• Options
    image_thumb.png?imgmax=800

That very comic has been adorned in my office somewhere for the past 10 years. I cherish it deeply.

• Options
    I shit you not, the spitting image of McLovin' just walked out of our board room. I nearly lost it.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Clients are getting dinged by Cryptowall left and right lately. I've dealt with 2 in the past week. All using AVG, MBAM with daily scans, and most with OpenDNS filtering.

No clue how it's getting in.

• Options
    email?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Project collaboration site, like Basecamp?

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Clients are getting dinged by Cryptowall left and right lately. I've dealt with 2 in the past week. All using AVG, MBAM with daily scans, and most with OpenDNS filtering.

No clue how it's getting in.
    We had two people get it from the same infected web site, some kind of WordPress exploit. It didn't prompt the user or anything. We got them to fix it once we realized that both infections came from the same site. We implemented FSRM screening between infections, and that saved the day.

• Options
    We just had someone get some random virus infection.

She asked me "I'm not going to get fired, am I..?"

Yes. Yes you are.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    email?

That's the thing, Exchange logs and a perusal of the users' mailbox don't show any of the usual suspects. Unless it's coming in days or weeks prior and somehow lying dormant without being detected by AV.

• Options
    And even when I got frustrated to the point of looking at users' IE history, it was all super boring.

Ah ha! Facebook! That surely was oh damn it they're adminning their company social media presence ughhhhhh

• Options
    I cleaned one up today in record time. The infected system had shadow copies that did not get infected.

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Not encrypting shadow copies?

Get your act together crytpovariant.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    I share an office with our Cisco engineer. He's currently wearing a sleeveless NASCAR shirt. I am dying.

• Options
    Myiagros wrote: »
    I cleaned one up today in record time. The infected system had shadow copies that did not get infected.

Nice. Our turnaround has been < 3 hours, which I'm more than happy with. Often that includes getting the user a replacement machine / TS profile, depending on the client's infrastructure. This even includes one case where a "oh gosh this encryption business looks strange, huh?" ticket came in at 4:55 and didn't get assigned until 8:30 the following morning because our dispatch team is undergoing some changes right now.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular

Had an instance where a client wanted email notification setup on the firewall to notify them that their internet was down.
    I did it though because I'm a wizard.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    I share an office with our Cisco engineer. He's currently wearing a sleeveless NASCAR shirt. I am dying.
    Any chance to get a shot of this shirt? We have a fantasy NASCAR league in our office and that would be priceless to show the others.

• Options
    Draygo wrote: »

Had an instance where a client wanted email notification setup on the firewall to notify them that their internet was down.
    I did it though because I'm a wizard.

https://uptimerobot.com/

• Options
    We work today :(

We eat burgers and drink beer at our desks all day today :)

• Options
    It's about as dead in here as it is in my office.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

He's here all week folks.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options

Yeah, whenever people don't have to work, every forum on the Internet dies.

• Options
    I'm just glad I didn't take today off, because apparently Xbox Live went down.

• Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    I reset a password in AD, I are super admin? :)

Also, any of you lovely people do any mac administration?

• Options
    My Mac Administration skillset is limited to "No, you can't bring that onto my network."

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I hate the RPC server is not available error.

Gah.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
This discussion has been closed.