As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I hate CFLs

2»

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The volt pens were linked twice.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Yes, I see that. I was wondering if he was referring to something else since not all "volt pens" are "complete and utter garbage".

e: This discussion is not constructive. Sorry. I'll just reiterate the advice that if you don't have a lot of experience doing electrical work you shouldn't do electrical work.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I don't like to see people recommending volt pens to check if circuits with potentially lethal levels of current flow are dead, because volt pens are highly unreliable, to put it nicely. Okay if you're doing a bit of hobby electronics work on your model train layout, but 240 volts and ten amps of single phase? No thank you very much sir.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    volt pens are pretty solid when current is flowing and you're near the unshielded contacts the power would flow through. They're less reliable when dealing with multiple layers of wire insulation and/or the switch is off (anecdotally)

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Just to back up the importance of checking with a 100% reliable piece of equipment (or as close to it as you can get) before touching anything that might electrocute you I will refer back to the shitty house that apparently had two lines coming off the pole. The line that we discovered would have killed the shit out of anyone since it was basically like touching a live power line. It was incredibly stupidly done and older than I care to imagine. There is zero room for error there. If I hadn't checked I would not be here today. It is one of many reasons I have done my best to not do home renovations as a career. Good work, no doubt, but extremely dangerous as well as extremely hard work for other reasons.

This discussion has been closed.