As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix and Streaming Thread: anime need not apply

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    I'll probably definitely reget asking this, but what's a good netflix series to watch with my wife (we usually do one episode before bed) now that we've finished Stranger Things?

Depends. Are you trying to get sleepy or get freaky?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Netflix pacifically, or anything on the service?

Because Wet Hot American Summer is still the best truly original thing they've made.

More Stranger Things similar you have Black Mirror.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Because Wet Hot American Summer is still the best truly original thing they've made.

Anything on the service (though I guess it differs per country)

Black Mirror is a good suggestion actually. Might be a bit heavy for just before bed, but def. worth a watch.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Have you two already watched Daredevil and Jessica Jones?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    She's not interested in Daredevil S2, so I'm watching that by myself. We did both watch season 1.

JJ has been veto'd due to subject matter.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The best Tick is the animated version. Yes I am wearing nostalgia glasses.

The live action show had a certain charm

Plus without it venture bros probably never would've happened

Venture Bro's always seemed more inspired by the Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law series, than anything to do with the Live Action Tick.

The live action tick is where Jackson publick met Patrick wallburton

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I'll probably definitely reget asking this, but what's a good netflix series to watch with my wife (we usually do one episode before bed) now that we've finished Stranger Things?

The Get Down is feather-light and has great music. It's not sci-fi, but it is pretty fucking surreal, because it's Baz Luhrman.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    @Mortious Have you checked out Dark Matter? Kinda Firefly-ish, kinda Farscape-y, lightish jaunt through space.

• Options
    Dark Matter is another good one. Will run that past her.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Rake is an excellent Australian show, centered on Cleaver Greene, a criminal defense barrister. Great at the job, but he's got a lot problems in his personal life. Self-destructive behaviour, gambling and other addictions.

It's pretty funny, and light-hearted most of the time.

There was an American remake that only lasted for one season (which I haven't seen), but the original is supposedly far superior.

I assume it's on the American Netflix, I get it here in Ireland though so I can't say for sure. Definitely worth checking out at least the first episode.

I'll have to look for it, I watched the USA version for a few eps and liked the idea.

• Options
    Ascension was pretty bad but might be worth a watch. The Expanse is fucking awesome. One of my new favs.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Did you just say The Expanse is on Netflix?! I mean sure, I already have the DVD set, but I am not about to let that stop me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Anything on the service (though I guess it differs per country)

Black Mirror is a good suggestion actually. Might be a bit heavy for just before bed, but def. worth a watch.

Is Person of Interest still on U.S. Netflix? If so I highly recommend Person of Interest.

Starts a bit formulaic, but very soon turns into straight up comic book sci fi level insanity in the best ways

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Did you just say The Expanse is on Netflix?! I mean sure, I already have the DVD set, but I am not about to let that stop me.

Unfortunately no. It's streaming on SciFi's site though.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    did you mention categories or subjects?
    Lighter detective story, set in the late 1800s in Toronto? Try Murdoch Mysteries
    More modern crime mystery shows that my wife really enjoyed on Netflix, Leverage and White Collar
    Comedies that we've enjoyed: New Girl, Don't trust the B, Bob's Burger, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    If you missed the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend pile on a few pages ago, check that out. I showed my wife one video from youtube and now we've finished bingeing it (would have been faster but olympics).

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The list of coming and going for September on Netflix is out in the wild.

I guess I'm going to be rewatching Galavant!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Kimmy Schmidt is magical.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Scifis app is terrible.

I watched The Magicians on it (a great book series but only a semi-average show) and it often restarted at the beginning or made me rewatch ads.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »

Scifis app is terrible.

I watched The Magicians on it (a great book series but only a semi-average show) and it often restarted at the beginning or made me rewatch ads.

You should give them some pointers.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Taranis wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »

Scifis app is terrible.

You should give them some pointers.

Or better yet they could just let Netflix stream all of their shows.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Which Netflix executive's teen daughter demanded a Steve Aoki documentary and this XOXO EDM movie?

Everyone in the film deserves a million punches in the face except for Chris D'elia (who was largely the reason I checked out the movie in the first place).

This is why people hate millenials.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Which Netflix executive's teen daughter demanded a Steve Aoki documentary and this XOXO EDM movie?

Everyone in the film deserves a million punches in the face except for Chris D'elia (who was largely the reason I checked out the movie in the first place).

This is why people hate millenials.

I didn't read the username, got to the second paragraph, and then a chill passed over my household as I realized who it was.
    you're a lot of fun im just pullin your pigtails

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    You couldn't see my username because of the brilliance of my light and insight.

(if you need a EDM movie, We Are Your Friends is better because you at least have characterization there)

• Options
    Did you get merched it? That's YOUR fault.

Everyone knows the best teen party movie is Spring Breakers, though.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Oh God Spring Breakers was so terrible too.

And it's not my fault I give D'elia's special four stars so your system tells me to watch the bad movie he's in! Should I give him one star like Ansari? That's not fair to do to someone who is actually funny!

• Options
    Aziz is hilarious and his show was great! Stop having bad opinions!

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options

Spring Breakers is amazing and you take that back right now.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

It was the sequel to Go. One in the winter, the other in summer.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    I should obviously already own it like six times over by now but I'm really happy Jaws is coming back in september

gonna watch it a bunch

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

It was the sequel to Go. One in the winter, the other in summer.

But it is spring break foreverrrrrr.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Spring Breakers was fantastic. It starts off as an orgy of hedonistic excess, then you realize it's actually a tongue-in-cheek middle finger to that entire lifestyle. Seeing it in theaters with an audience who clearly expected a typical spring break comedy was an amazing experience.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Watched the pilot to the Tick.

I loved it. They even did the whole "Tick being convinced that Arthur's apartment was a secret base" thing from the comics and cartoon. I loved that he kept looking for secret levers.

Arthur being a conspiracy nut because of what happened to him as a kid is an interesting direction. I'm sold on the actor playing the tick too, thought he was able to portray the baffoon spouting random nonsense that he thinks is super deep really well.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    so is hulu subscription only now?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    so is hulu subscription only now?

The free programs (Most of them? Some of them? Not sure.) have moved to Yahoo View.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    So I have student Amazon Prime, and initially it seemed streaming wasn't available. But now it is.

So Man in the High Castle, which I looked forward to, is really good so far.

Also they have all three "seasons" of Robotech. I was pretty excited to find this out, because Crackle is, not good.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I loved it. They even did the whole "Tick being convinced that Arthur's apartment was a secret base" thing from the comics and cartoon. I loved that he kept looking for secret levers.

Arthur being a conspiracy nut because of what happened to him as a kid is an interesting direction. I'm sold on the actor playing the tick too, thought he was able to portray the baffoon spouting random nonsense that he thinks is super deep really well.

The guy playing the Tick does the voice very well. Physically, I don't like the look at all. He's tall and they put some muscles on the suit, but the Tick needs to be a mountain. Barrel chest and tree trunks for arms. Pad him out a lot, clean up the costume so it doesn't look like they just rolled him in blue play dough, and I think the show will grow on people.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

The guy playing the Tick does the voice very well. Physically, I don't like the look at all. He's tall and they put some muscles on the suit, but the Tick needs to be a mountain. Barrel chest and tree trunks for arms. Pad him out a lot, clean up the costume so it doesn't look like they just rolled him in blue play dough, and I think the show will grow on people.

Patrick Warburton is and will always be my Tick. The perfect voice and body to play the Tick, but the early 2000's just wasn't ready for that kind of awesome yet.

I thought this pilot was pretty good, but I just couldn't help but compare it to the cartoon or the first attempt at a live action Tick and it just fell flat in comparison. There's room to improve, especially in the Tick costume as you pointed out, but it's still pretty solid so far.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Patrick Warburton is and will always be my Tick. The perfect voice and body to play the Tick, but the early 2000's just wasn't ready for that kind of awesome yet.

I thought this pilot was pretty good, but I just couldn't help but compare it to the cartoon or the first attempt at a live action Tick and it just fell flat in comparison. There's room to improve, especially in the Tick costume as you pointed out, but it's still pretty solid so far.

I think the costume was also my biggest disappointment. The voice was great, but Warburton's costume made him look HUGE and the antennae on it added a lot to his expressions that I didn't feel from this version. I might continue watching it if it gets picked up just because I love the Tick, but I kind of hope it doesn't.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Spring Breakers was the best James Francoing out there