As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix and Streaming Thread: anime need not apply

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    No. Jeph Loeb had a really negative effect on their animated stuff. He was put in charge of their TV division and there was almost instantly a noticeable drop in quality because he thinks cartoons are only for kids and that they don't want any long form story telling.

It makes me very sad when people fail upwards.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Yeah Green Lantern is surprisingly good. Though I'm really not a fan of its animation.

Shame it's no longer on Amazon prime.

DC has s terrible habit of canceling all of its animated shows. They're usually good, but they rarely get their due and end on cliffhangers.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'd argue Young Justice is better than any other DC cartoon. Also, Green Lantern is on par with the likes of JLU and BTAS.

Yeah, I am going to have to disagree with you on that. YJ was good, but no where near the quality of JL. Maybe it's just because I am a Paul Dini fanboy, but I felt like YJ was aiming for a younger audience than JL. Maybe it's just because, as an adult, I am less interested in shows about children.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya, Young Justice and Spec Spidey also get constant rewatches, Batman Brave and the Bold too

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'm watching the first episode of Newsroom.

This is the greatest show ever. I feel like it was made for me.

I am in love.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I'd argue Young Justice is better than any other DC cartoon. Also, Green Lantern is on par with the likes of JLU and BTAS.

I agree about Young Justice, but I have trouble ranking Green Lantern that high. I don't know if it's because I still see the likes of JLU and BTAS with rose colored glasses, or if it's just because I could never get past it's horrendous animation style to enjoy it as much as most other do.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    American Dad Season 9 is up now.

Netflix Canada adds:
    -Nightcrawler
    -Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    -Let's Be Cops
    -X-Men DOFP

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Yeah, I am going to have to disagree with you on that. YJ was good, but no where near the quality of JL. Maybe it's just because I am a Paul Dini fanboy, but I felt like YJ was aiming for a younger audience than JL. Maybe it's just because, as an adult, I am less interested in shows about children.

I'll disagree with you there. YJ had intricate plots and sub-plots which could have filled 5 seasons in 2. The Timm-verse didn't have that depth, even in JLU. It's amazing how many characters were on teams, which expanded, in every episode when in JLU they focused on a couple at a time. Not only that, they did long term plots in their a-plots, and b-plots, side by side regularly with a maturity above the Timm-verse and nearer to the Arrow-verse.

• Options
    This is weird, in the foreign movie tab of Netflix for web browser, there is no longer a Korean or Japanese sub category (and it seems like there's only 4 Korean movies available now too, just typing in "Korean" to search)

There's a Belgian tab even, which makes me wonder what waffling is going on over there.

(there is a ~60% chance I wrote all this just for the waffle joke but yeah, at least keep a Korean tab up please)

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    American Dad Season 9 is up now.

Netflix Canada adds:
    -Nightcrawler
    -Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    -Let's Be Cops
    -X-Men DOFP

That's like every awesome movie from last year.

Also Let's Be Cops.

• Options
    Dawn of the Apes is going to be on HBO this weekend so I'm gonna wait till HBO Now gets it.

And Netflix Chile has The Imitation Game up now.

And Entrourage is still good, 4 seasons in. The director guy Billy West got annoying but he's usually isolated a lot. And Lloyd is a real life version of Greg and Terry from American Dad, he's great with Ari. More than anything I'm surprised how well Turtle and Drama carry this show (with Ari and Lloyd). Vince is still annoying and dumb most of the time, E sort of gets cloying and really like a Hollywood version of a Big Bang Theory nerd, yet the other two carry being constant comic relief who just respect more.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Fist of Legend is awesome and I recommend it to everyone

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Just finished season 1 of American Horror Story.

They really didn't pull their punches. A lot of fucked up things occur that I was surprised to see pass on network TV. It also isn't every day that I actually get emotionally invested with the characters in a horror story; the last episode was particularly powerful.

Still got a few questions as far as plotholes go:
    Why is Margarat the only ghost to physically age?

Why would she also help Constance instead of, I dunno, killing her the second she stepped into the house?

Furthermore what was the whole point of her acting as a seductress? There's a lot about the character I don't get.

It also drives me crazy that Constance never got hers, or that we'll never find out what happens with her and her demon grandson, since each season is an apparent "restart" with a completely different story.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

They really didn't pull their punches. A lot of fucked up things occur that I was surprised to see pass on network TV. It also isn't every day that I actually get emotionally invested with the characters in a horror story; the last episode was particularly powerful.

Why would she also help Constance instead of, I dunno, killing her the second she stepped into the house?

Furthermore what was the whole point of her acting as a seductress? There's a lot about the character I don't get.

It also drives me crazy that Constance never got hers, or that we'll never find out what happens with her and her demon grandson, since each season is an apparent "restart" with a completely different story.

Well, not really network tv since it's an FX show which is the cable channel that brought us shows like Legit, Nip/Tuck, Sons of Anarchy, Rescue Me, Archer, It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia and The Shield

If you liked season 1 though I think you'll like season 2 but, and it's a big but, if you decide to watch it be patient. It takes awhile to really get going but I think taking it as a whole it's worth the wait.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This is weird, in the foreign movie tab of Netflix for web browser, there is no longer a Korean or Japanese sub category (and it seems like there's only 4 Korean movies available now too, just typing in "Korean" to search)

There's a Belgian tab even, which makes me wonder what waffling is going on over there.

(there is a ~60% chance I wrote all this just for the waffle joke but yeah, at least keep a Korean tab up please)

I have a friend that works for the company that has the rights to stream something like 90% of the Korean shows. She says that there are very complicated backroom dealings involving who they can loan the shows out to, and, more importantly, the whole rig is rigged together with bailing wire, so any change that the end provider makes to their software has her scrambling to get the connecting tissue to be compatible.

I'm thinking that Netflix probably changed their software, and the connection hasn't been re-welded yet.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular

If you ever want satisfaction, you won't get it from AHS. It's just Ryan Murphy being weird for weird's sake for the most part. My wife and I enjoyed season 1 despite the issues. Season 2 seemed like it could go somewhere cool but then they just threw like 10 things at the wall and it had no real focus and had a lot of really dumb stuff that should've hit the cutting room floor. Season 3 was like True Blood with witches. Basically no horror and all dramatic soap opera nonsense. Season 4 we quit watching mid way through because it couldn't possibly have spun its wheels harder than it was.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Are you joking? Unless I'm missing something, that article is from May 18th, 2014. So, over a year ago.

• Options
    I watched the first episode of the YA Lord of the Flies-analogue show BetwE3n on Netflix. They're releasing it in a weekly format like a normal TV show.

This is a mistake. The first episode is all setup and is quite boring. The only thing I enjoyed was just how surly the pregnant lead is... that and I suppose
    the prison guard gunning down the hostile inmate before ordering the "good" inmate back into his cell.

I don't think I'll be hanging on the edge waiting for each episode to roll out when we have Sense8 and new Orange is the New Black in the very near future.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I assume it's being released weekly because it was co-produced by a TV network.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    All it means is I'll just wait until all the episodes are out to give it a try. Netflix has trained people to binge on shows.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    the green lantern animated series wasn't bad until a woman decided to destroy the universe because a guy said he wasn't into her

override367 on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Started watching "Between" and got confused when people referred to the government as the ministry. At first I thought it might be some alternative reality thing taking place in a small town in the US. Then some old man calls the quarantine a human rights violation. That's when I realized they're in Canada.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Started watching "Between" and got confused when people referred to the government as the ministry. At first I thought it might be some alternative reality thing taking place in a small town in the US. Then some old man calls the quarantine a human rights violation. That's when I realized they're in Canada.

When they said "Ministry," I assumed that it was Canada. But then someone mentioned "the Department," and I got thoroughly confused.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I went to cancel Hulu since we havent been using it and they gave me 2 months free.

Might be worth checking out for some free time

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I went to cancel Hulu since we havent been using it and they gave me 2 months free.

Might be worth checking out for some free time

I watch a ton of stuff on Hulu. Vikings is great. I'm almost done with Misfits.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I started watching Orphan Black last night.

Why the hell didn't I start watching this two years ago? I've only watched two episodes, but I'm hooked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I paused the video to read the SWOT board Dinesh and Gilfoyle made.

Laughing so hard.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I started watching Orphan Black last night.

Why the hell didn't I start watching this two years ago? I've only watched two episodes, but I'm hooked.

i'm right there with you, I finished season 1 yesterday, and I've been dvring season 3 so i'll be good to go once I catch up. hope it keeps up the quality.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Quid wrote: »
    I paused the video to read the SWOT board Dinesh and Gilfoyle made.

Laughing so hard.

Silicon Valley is so, so good right now, it's up there with the first season of Community in just being smart and funny and caring about the characters.

Out of the three comma club, if you round down!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I mean, you can't blame the guy. He's now having to drive a car where the doors just open the regular way. God I love Silicon Valley.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Is Silicon Valley streaming somewhere?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    My Netflix knowledge is not complete, so I don't know if this is a thing or not. I searched for Man of Steel a few days ago and it was only available to rent as a physical DVD. Now yesterday I get an email from Netflix telling me that they added Man of Steel to streaming.

Is that just coincidence?

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Is Silicon Valley streaming somewhere?

Just on HBO Go/Now as far as I know.

Though you can sign up for HBO's streaming service on its own now!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    I don't even remember Boomerang being in the first season.

Bro Sokka literally uses it ep one

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Jeph Loeb douche he may be has been handling their TV stuff nicely

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    My Netflix knowledge is not complete, so I don't know if this is a thing or not. I searched for Man of Steel a few days ago and it was only available to rent as a physical DVD. Now yesterday I get an email from Netflix telling me that they added Man of Steel to streaming.

No. I'm fairly certain that Netflix makes huge, costly investments into its streaming service based only on TheBigEasy's search parameter history. If you ever die or cancel your subscription, Netflix will no longer be able to decide on new shows to stream.
    :hydra:

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

No. I'm fairly certain that Netflix makes huge, costly investments into its streaming service based only on TheBigEasy's search parameter history. If you ever die or cancel your subscription, Netflix will no longer be able to decide on new shows to stream.
    :hydra:

It's true.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Yes. Netflix's engine keeps track of your likes and dislikes, and will send you email notifications on newly added content that you may like. Man of Steel met your profile and they probably were or already had negotiated for it's release on Netflix.

Otherwise they would have added shows like Face Off, which doesn't even exist in DVD/BR form. Amazon has it on sale for streaming, but it's pretty expensive there.

• Options
    *cough* @Aphostile can you tell me where to properly sacrifice goats and baked goods so you guys get Mad Max: Fury Road on streaming when it stops making money in theaters? I don't see a lot of movies more than once, but this is one that I'm sure I'll want to come back to a few times.