As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    [*]Entering a dungeon with fewer than the required number of players is done simply by having the party leader select a new option in DF. You won't be able to replenish roles, and there will be no level sync. (Yes it says that. 「レベルシンクもかからないものになります。」)This feature is available for most ARR content, but not Heavensward content. The plan is to make it available for more content in future updates.

Wait wait wait....does this mean that I could queue up for something like Sastasha NM solo....and I won't be gear or level synced....allowing me to possibly just hilariously face roll through the ~lvl 15 enemies? Because if so...AWESOME! lol
    [*]You will be able to obtain glamour-only versions of previous relic steps. In-game reasoning is that Gerolt remembers what the previous steps look like and can replicate the appearance even if he can't guarantee the stats. Possibly only available for people who have completed up to Zeta.

And somehow the team behind this game manages to make me love them even more. This is one of the biggest things I was hoping they'd do (I miss how my Bravura nexus looked). Between this and the rumor that Summoners might be able to "glamour" their pets (abilities not necessarily tied to a specific pet model, so YAY carbuncle! *squeeeee!*), I'm super excited

Maratastik on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Just got this Email from Square-Enix:
    Dear customer,

Thank you for your preorder of FINAL FANTASY® XIV: Heavensward™. We are pleased to announce that we will soon be preparing your order for shipment. As part of this preparation, we will begin charging for preorders on June 1, 2015 using the payment details that you provided upon checkout.

Please verify that you have sufficient funds available for the payment option you selected during the pre-order process. If your payment cannot be charged successfully, then your order will be canceled.

To modify, follow or manage your preorder, please sign into your account on our store.

Thank you for supporting Square Enix,
    The Square Enix Online Store Team.

So for those wondering, June 1st is when they'll start charging for the Pre-Orders i f you ordered through the Square-Enix Store.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    For the first Crystal Tower raid, Labyrinth of the Ancients, just make sure you follow you're group and maybe read up on the atomos miniboss so you don't wipe the whole raid by pulling early or something.
    The fights are mostly easy, but there's a few gotchas.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    It's the usual firstname/lastname thing.

Forename and surname are just fancy synonyms for that.

That said, each race has its own conventions regarding names. You don't have to follow them, but it can be nice to have a thematically "correct" name.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Astale wrote: »
    No, that's the normal dialogue.
    She's talking about how they used money to frame him, since their assassins just add to their life insurance premium.

There is some dialogue she has specific to it though, and I know at points in the main story various guildmasters go "oh, hi" and stuff if you are a member.
    Any guildmaster which you have completed their storyline with will defend you once you complete 2.55. Some of their comments are entertaining (I rather liked Serendipity, Geva, and Redolent Rose's comments.)

I...may have spent a bit of time going to all the guildmasters after I finished the story.

Also, one of the cooler shifting scenes in the story:
    When you meet Estien during the 2.55 story, there are three versions of his response to you. The generic one is for players who have not touched DRG at all. If you get to that point as a mid-level DRG, he instead acts annoyed at seeing his rival. And if you've finished the DRG storyline, then he will instead acknowledge you as an Azure Dragoon and peer.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Not just Guildmasters, a lot of NPCs will have something to say.

I rather enjoyed what Rowena said,
    It was something along the lines of "Whether the rumors are true or not doesn't make your money lose value." :D

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Does the WHM story get more interesting? I found the 1-30 Conjurer story to be alright, but once I hit 30 and unlocked WHM, the first quest was super dullsville.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Does the WHM story get more interesting? I found the 1-30 Conjurer story to be alright, but once I hit 30 and unlocked WHM, the first quest was super dullsville.

Yes, plus it has some great quest titles (Only You Can Prevent Forest Ire). Plus, it's one of the more useful stories, because it actually tells you where you'll be going for your relic quest.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    She's talking about how they used money to frame him, since their assassins just add to their life insurance premium.

There is some dialogue she has specific to it though, and I know at points in the main story various guildmasters go "oh, hi" and stuff if you are a member.
    Any guildmaster which you have completed their storyline with will defend you once you complete 2.55. Some of their comments are entertaining (I rather liked Serendipity, Geva, and Redolent Rose's comments.)

I...may have spent a bit of time going to all the guildmasters after I finished the story.

When you meet Estien during the 2.55 story, there are three versions of his response to you. The generic one is for players who have not touched DRG at all. If you get to that point as a mid-level DRG, he instead acts annoyed at seeing his rival. And if you've finished the DRG storyline, then he will instead acknowledge you as an Azure Dragoon and peer.
    Talk to the Marauders and Rogues.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »

The officer at the Marauders' Guild also has unique dialog as well.

Honestly, there are a lot of dialog changes based on what you've accomplished, which is really cool because it makes you feel like you have actually accomplished something. The WPHM one is probably one of the most adorable (if you finished SCH and run it as SCH, Surito is overjoyed to see you there to help and tells you to split up to "save our friends' tails".)

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Having done the Arcanist line is pretty adorable for the 2.55 main scenario
    Especially since Tataru is given the exact same newbie quest as you got when you started off. Which is nice to see that standard training is given to all

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Is there a way to turn on D-pad target swtiching when the crossbar is active? I keep the crossbar in toggle mode because of the way my hands work. It's easier for me to quickly tap a shoulder button than it is to hold it down. But that makes the PS4's target switching more difficult, as I learned the hard way going through Qarn for the first time just now.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Especially since Tataru is given the exact same newbie quest as you got when you started off. Which is nice to see that standard training is given to all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IGt9xjsTgM

Why is she so perfect?

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    In fact, if you completed ACN, you're asked to be the assessor.

Also, the deputy guildmaster will acknowledge if you have mastered SMN/SCH/both.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Finished the level 30 GLD quest, but in order to unlock PLD I need to level up CNJ three more times. Ugh.

Since I'm doing all this to learn Awareness, should I just level GLD four more levels, or is it more beneficial in the long run to do so while having PLD unlocked?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Finished the level 30 GLD quest, but in order to unlock PLD I need to level up CNJ three more times. Ugh.

Since I'm doing all this to learn Awareness, should I just level GLD four more levels, or is it more beneficial in the long run to do so while having PLD unlocked?

You get sword oath at 30. Which will help your soloing and with trying your best to keep aggro in dungeons until you get shield oath.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    And if you use a Fantasia potion to change your race and your name no longer makes sense, you can just pretend you're adopted. Or you chose a name that matches a different race's conventions for reasons. Like in my case, Kevin Nightslayer is a reasonable Hyur name but shit Miqo'te name. My newly transformed cat dude decided to pick a Hyur name to both stop people from butchering his real name and to save from having to explain what it means to the ignorant. Because he's kinda a dick. Boom, passable RP explanation.

If you don't care about RP, then pick what you want. There are plenty of people running around with Japanese names, puns (like 'Hugh Jass'), things stolen from other sources, etc. Just don't be a dark skinned, white haired Elezen named Drizz't.

I just pretend I'm a cat boy who drank a potion he shouldn't have and woke up as another race because that's what happened. I love that race-changing is basically explained within the game. So common nobody bats and eye when I show up as a completely different species. Just shrug it off with a "Oh yeah, I went on a bender like that one time. I used to be roegadyn."

• Options

CNJ goes by really quick if you:

Do your hunting log
    Do FATEs
    Run a few dungeons - healing is so easy the first few, it's almost like free EXP + all the potential dungeon loot

GLD is somewhat slower IMO. Tanking is a bit more difficult once you hit the Manor (stupid adds at the end boss), and ramps up with the final boss of Brayflox and first boss of Qarn where you have to drag your target around the room to counter the mechanics.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd say Brayflox is the first time I felt like I needed to be more than just a dumb meat slab tanking.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »

The officer at the Marauders' Guild also has unique dialog as well.

Honestly, there are a lot of dialog changes based on what you've accomplished, which is really cool because it makes you feel like you have actually accomplished something. The WPHM one is probably one of the most adorable (if you finished SCH and run it as SCH, Surito is overjoyed to see you there to help and tells you to split up to "save our friends' tails".)
    I really liked how some of the main dudes in Limsa refer to your GC status too.

Like how the Maelstrom people say the Admiral told them you're cool.

• Options
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say Brayflox is the first time I felt like I needed to be more than just a dumb meat slab tanking.

Yeah, everything up until then is basically "turn boss towards rear wall, Flash adds if the other players are smart enough to bring them towards you (if you're a GLD/PLD)." The dragon at the end of Brayflox is just an entirely different experience. You need to have a fair amount of situational awareness, not only of the poison pools, but the rest of your party.

The first boss at Qarn is a lot like that. You need to stand on the panels when they light up to cleanse Death off you (which sometimes doesn't work, grr). The last phase of that fight is like a game of Simon. You need to maintain aggro, hit the panels when they light up, pay attention to your aggro combo and situational abilities like Shield Bash. There's just a ton going on. But that's what makes it fun.

I wonder when healing gets more active? I can heal through Brayflox with my eyes closed. It's simply not challenging, especially when FreeCure procs.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I yawned my way up to WHM 50 :/

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Healing in 4-mans is typically fairly easy.

8-man parties is where healing can get a bit nuts, especially since those are the instances where healers are most likely to need to pay attention to the mechanics of the fight.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So, is the Steam version okay, or should I look at purchasing a non-Steam version of the game?

(Yes, I really enjoyed the trial. This game pushes all the buttons I've wanted pushed for a MMO, but have never been satisfied until now. It turns out that you can do high quality story-telling in a MMO!)

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    So, is the Steam version okay, or should I look at purchasing a non-steam version of the game?

(Yes, I really enjoyed the trial. This game pushes all the buttons I've wanted pushed for a MMO, but have never been satisfied until now. It turns out that you can do high quality story-telling in a MMO!)

If you go steam version you are stuck on steam version (you can't switch back to non-steam PC version). Expansion and future content all have to be the steam version as well (You can't currently pre-order the expansion on steam which is worrying some folk)

Outside of that it's the same as the PC version.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Edit: Ignore, I figured it out on my own.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    So, Caedwyr Jelani on Sargatanas has been created and is leveling up. I look forward to seeing others here on the same world online.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to buy the NA Heavensward CE through Green Man Gaming, and there's a 20% off code ( GET20P-ERCENT-OFFNOW ), but I keep getting "Invalid Code" when I try to use it. Anyone have any luck with it, and if not, ideas for another cheap place to pick it up?

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    I'm trying to buy the NA Heavensward CE through Green Man Gaming, and there's a 20% off code ( GET20P-ERCENT-OFFNOW ), but I keep getting "Invalid Code" when I try to use it. Anyone have any luck with it, and if not, ideas for another cheap place to pick it up?

Sometimes their 20% off "everything" codes don't work for select games, unfortunately. Though there's a decent enough chance they'll put up another code that does work in the next couple weeks or even readd it to the VIP section. I don't think anywhere else is going to give you as good of a deal.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

Sometimes their 20% off "everything" codes don't work for select games, unfortunately. Though there's a decent enough chance they'll put up another code that does work in the next couple weeks or even readd it to the VIP section. I don't think anywhere else is going to give you as good of a deal.

I thought that might be the case. It'd be nice if they'd list what it doesn't apply to though.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Is there a way to turn on D-pad target swtiching when the crossbar is active? I keep the crossbar in toggle mode because of the way my hands work. It's easier for me to quickly tap a shoulder button than it is to hold it down. But that makes the PS4's target switching more difficult, as I learned the hard way going through Qarn for the first time just now.

Learned that tapping L1 cycles through the enmity list, even when the cross bar is active. That's a big help. Flawlessly tanked Qarn on my second try with that info in my toolbox. I love PLD. I hope DRK is as fun, if not more so.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    In fact, if you completed ACN, you're asked to be the assessor.

Also, the deputy guildmaster will acknowledge if you have mastered SMN/SCH/both.
    SpwzuJM.png

I still hope she actually follows through with this one day. Just as a surprise bit of character development.

488W936.png
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    'ere we go again
    gxGAMvO.jpg

Time for another light grind.... rushed the last 5 melds on the Novus because I'll need to hunt for cheap Det/Crit IVs and I wanted to get started with the grind

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    nYXKXpb.png

Umm... why are we so excited to go to Ishgard again?

488W936.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Some of us are not.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I was told that this game has a very good Final Fantasy story in it.

Is it possible to experience the story without falling too deep into the MMO trappings?

• Options
    edited May 2015

Is it possible to experience the story without falling too deep into the MMO trappings?

Absolutely. The Main story doesn't really have any Grind to it outside of leveling your character. For some of the latter stuff you'll need to get a bit of equipment to progress but it's pretty tame compared to most MMOs in that regard.

For instance the current item level cap is ilvl 130, but you only need ilvl 90 to finish the story and once you hit lvl 50 you'll be roughly ilvl 45ish. It's also pretty easy to get ilvl 90 without too much effort.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    And who knows, maybe you'll fall in love with the game enough to overcome a natural aversion to MMOs.

488W936.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Absolutely. The Main story doesn't really have any Grind to it outside of leveling your character. For some of the latter stuff you'll need to get a bit of equipment to progress but it's pretty tame compared to most MMOs in that regard.

For instance the current item level cap is ilvl 130, but you only need ilvl 90 to finish the story and once you hit lvl 50 you'll be roughly ilvl 45ish. It's also pretty easy to get ilvl 90 without too much effort.

And there's a ton of different end game dungeons that drop gear from i60 to i100, 3 raids designed to be PUGged that drop i80,100, and 120, as well as a bunch of single boss fights that can drop weapons and some accessories of various ilevels.

And every time you do any content of level 40+ you get a currency called tomestones, which exist in two flavors. The higher level the content, the more you get, but the first time you do any of them, you get a sizeable bonus amount of the lesser flavor, which can be used to buy i100 gear. Just from running dungeons and the hardmode primals for the first time you'll probably collect enough to buy 3-4 pieces of gear, so even if the drops don't favor you, it's pretty easy to get good enough gear to finish the story.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Define "falling too deep into the mmo trappings"

Because you definitely will be doing a lot of group dungeons and gear collecting in order to complete the main story.

This discussion has been closed.