As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pax Prime veterans, what would you do differently this year?

13»

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    peetsnack wrote: »
    haa. last pax was the first pax i didnt spend in flip flops. I guess it just all depends on your feet.

Yeah, it really does. My feet would be hamburger if I tried that.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    DashD wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Excellent!.... This is going to be a mandatory purchase... Better shoes also. The first two days of pax last year in flip flops destroyed my feet and I was SUPER envious of guys I saw with little stools to park it on in lines.

Ouch. Yeah, flip flops will kill you. You'll want to get shoes with good support. No Chucks!! If you want a shoe similar to Converse, get PF Flyers. They have arch support. Otherwise, stick to good walking shoes.
    I actually still have scars on my feet from wearing flip-flops to my second PAX back in 2011, and that was just for one day because the color matched my cosplay. Never again...

Since then shoes are something I have to take into consideration for cosplays, but most you can just build around a more comfortable shoe with boot covers, etc. I'm going to rue the day I ever decide to do someone that wears heels though. I'll never understand how those Bayonetta girls do it.

• Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Excellent!.... This is going to be a mandatory purchase... Better shoes also. The first two days of pax last year in flip flops destroyed my feet and I was SUPER envious of guys I saw with little stools to park it on in lines.

I've been wearing combat boots to every con and my feet come out better than most. This year though my fiance bought me running shoes for overweight people that have really good support and breath well. Used them to replace the old shoes i was wearing for weight lifting and my feet felt amazing. So if you haven't made the purchase get yourself some good Asics or Nikes(boots might take a little to long to break in), or if you don't care about looks or using them for sports maybe get some nurses shoes.

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Definitely going to pick up those P.F. Flyer's and a stool for line waiting. Going to actually sleep in more this year. And bring a bottle of water instead of a flask of whiskey exclusively.

Also I think my group is going to suspend our tradition of buying way too many Top Pot doughnuts and sharing them in the opening line as I'm tired of people looking at us like we're trying to poison them.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    Also I think my group is going to suspend our tradition of buying way too many Top Pot doughnuts and sharing them in the opening line as I'm tired of people looking at us like we're trying to poison them.
    It's amazing the number of people at a con this size that would turn down free food. We usually get a big thing of donuts on our way in at Safeway, knowing we'll end up passing a bunch out when we're done, and last year it took us a surprisingly long time to get rid of them in the Queue room. I'm even more surprised people would turn down Top Pot though.

I have to second the combat boots thing though, if you have them; they'd be pretty pricey to just go out and buy. I rented a pair from a costume shop for yet another cosplay, and was anticipating them being super uncomfortable just based on their looks, but they were actually really nice on my feet compared to my regular shoes. Interestingly enough, my boyfriend's rain boots were also comfortable (we traded cosplays one day to change things up) so maybe it's just a boot thing. I don't think I would seriously recommend walking around all day in your average rain boots though, it must have been a fluke.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Scunosi wrote: »
    and last year it took us a surprisingly long time to get rid of them in the Queue room. I'm even more surprised people would turn down Top Pot though.

I am actually not a fan of Top Pot. (I may be a bit spoiled as we have some amazing mom and pop style doughnut places here.) That combined with trying to eat healthier while at PAX would have made me pass it by.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    It's amazing the number of people at a con this size that would turn down free food. We usually get a big thing of donuts on our way in at Safeway, knowing we'll end up passing a bunch out when we're done, and last year it took us a surprisingly long time to get rid of them in the Queue room. I'm even more surprised people would turn down Top Pot though.

I have to second the combat boots thing though, if you have them; they'd be pretty pricey to just go out and buy. I rented a pair from a costume shop for yet another cosplay, and was anticipating them being super uncomfortable just based on their looks, but they were actually really nice on my feet compared to my regular shoes. Interestingly enough, my boyfriend's rain boots were also comfortable (we traded cosplays one day to change things up) so maybe it's just a boot thing. I don't think I would seriously recommend walking around all day in your average rain boots though, it must have been a fluke.
    I know that Top Pot for me is ever associated with the garbage pastries Starbucks sells. It's hard to be too into that.

• Options

Maybe you guys should start at Top Pot brigade, make it seem a more legitimate.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Maybe you guys should start at Top Pot brigade, make it seem a more legitimate.

that'd be cheaper than the voodoo donuts brigade/run that I have done in the past :)

• Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's just me....

But I've never heard of "Top Pot" doughnuts. And given that recreational marijuana is legal there... And it has "pot" in the name... If I heard somebody was giving away "Top Pot doughnuts"... Well I can say I wouldn't want one because I'd be worried about it having pot.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    In all seriousness, I have several coworkers from Seattle and all of them think Top Pot is overrated. Not that I can recall the store they love.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Relax, they are not pot edibles. Locals would definitely know that.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would turn down Top Pot, but if someone walked by handing out Mighty O doughnuts I would be all over that.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    But if you're handing them out at PAX, chances are a good portion of those people are /not/ locals :P

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    But if you're handing them out at PAX, chances are a good portion of those people are /not/ locals :P

They did a free doughnut thing during last year's PAX, don't remember which developer sponsored it, but it was in the PAX sphere of influence.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular

They did a free doughnut thing during last year's PAX, don't remember which developer sponsored it, but it was in the PAX sphere of influence.

If I remember correctly, Harmonix usually does a community gathering at Top Pot.

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

Top Pot is a pretty well known doughnut locale in Seattle, much like VooDoo Doughtnuts in Portland.

It's insulting because we are eating random doughnuts out of this box and people are looking at them like one might be laced with poison. Not even asking if they are edibles, and its not like we're spending a short amount of time in line together...

What I'm saying is I'd rather take the money we spend on that and go to Pike Place and hit up the Chinese bakery and Piroshki Piroshki for less than a couple dozen doughnuts.

• Options
    minisplatminisplat Registered User regular
    Definitely skipping the AAA stuff and heading right to the Indie Megabooth and such. I always have fun going through the indie offerings and it's far less insane. Also, scheduling in meals. And wandering away from the WSCC! Seattle is an awesome city, and there's tons of places to go if you need a break from the crowds.

passes - flight - hotel - anticipation

Don't Panic.
  • Options
    minisplat wrote: »
    Definitely skipping the AAA stuff and heading right to the Indie Megabooth and such. I always have fun going through the indie offerings and it's far less insane. Also, scheduling in meals. And wandering away from the WSCC! Seattle is an awesome city, and there's tons of places to go if you need a break from the crowds.

I recommend for the older crowd that wants some peace after a day of the convention to make reservations at Knee High Stocking Co. It's a pretty small place that serves some decent appetizers and fantastic cocktails. Perfect for unwinding far away from the press of bodies that is the expo hall.

• Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    We always hit the Indie Megabooth and have found some really awesome games. Hubby and I stay away from the AAA stuff as we all ready know if we are going to be buying it, so why waste time on a game (and the lines that go with) on a game I am going to be playing in a few months? IMHO

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    jumbotojumboto Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    In all seriousness, I have several coworkers from Seattle and all of them think Top Pot is overrated. Not that I can recall the store they love.
    I have yet to try Top Pot. I hear they're overrated.

boTdSSK.png
  • Options
    jumboto wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I have yet to try Top Pot. I hear they're overrated.

They are pretty good, but for my money I'd rather go and get the mini-doughnuts at Pike Place and share them.

There are apparently many awesome bakeries and pastry shops throughout Seattle, but apparently not many in the particular area of the city PAX is held in. I'm thinking I'm going to start polling the people I know who live down there and those who visit frequently and put together a list for everyone.

• Options
    Also, this year I'm finally going to get into Radiator Whiskey and try the roasted pig head.

And bring my mini-fridge and maybe a hot-plate with me so I can actually maybe make some simple stuff instead of spending way too much money on simple shit like sandwiches. Always remember that the prices for stuff around the convention center are aimed at people making $100k+ a year, so you're getting bilked more often than not around lunch time.

• Options
    LairdLaird Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

I'm sure it's nothing personal and just a safety concern. I only do this kind of thing for my large group of friends on Sunday where I heard them like Cats towards Dicks. People are just usually UN-trusting by nature and "lol weirdos from internetz!" handing out free Noms to most is a "big pass."(Not that you are a weirdo.)

Laird on
  • Options

Laird wrote: »

I'm sure it's nothing personal and just a safety concern. I only do this kind of thing for my large group of friends on Sunday where I heard them like Cats towards Dicks. People are just usually UN-trusting by nature and "lol weirdos from internetz!" handing out free Noms to most is a "big pass."(Not that you are a weirdo.)

I wonder if people see the cookie brigade that way, or if the virtue of an organized forum presence eases people.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    LairdLaird Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I wonder if people see the cookie brigade that way, or if the virtue of an organized forum presence eases people.

Not a clue, I hand Paul from the cookie brigade a paper bag from dick's stuffed with money from the raffle for CP I hold up there on the sunday of each prime.

Laird on
  • Options
    jumbotojumboto Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    They are pretty good, but for my money I'd rather go and get the mini-doughnuts at Pike Place and share them.

There are apparently many awesome bakeries and pastry shops throughout Seattle, but apparently not many in the particular area of the city PAX is held in. I'm thinking I'm going to start polling the people I know who live down there and those who visit frequently and put together a list for everyone.

I feel as a local I should be more knowledgeable of the "Seattle eating underground" as everyone else I know seems to be. Top Pot is a place that I've heard mentioned on several occasions, but I get the feeling that it's been so hyped up that it'll be a letdown once I finally try their product.

boTdSSK.png
  • Options
    jumboto wrote: »

I feel as a local I should be more knowledgeable of the "Seattle eating underground" as everyone else I know seems to be. Top Pot is a place that I've heard mentioned on several occasions, but I get the feeling that it's been so hyped up that it'll be a letdown once I finally try their product.

I only know so much from working in restaurants, so I not only read a lot of the "trade" magazines for the area but visit restaurants in the city a lot to keep my finger on the pulse, so to speak. That and knowing a lot of folk from various distributors, vendors and just other people in the industry gives me a pretty good idea of awesome places to check out.

Top Pot is over hyped in the sense that they are good doughnuts, but they're rather expensive. I highly recommend stopping by at some point, there's a shop not too far off the beaten path from PAX, and trying them out so you can decide on your own. I would say that most chain restaurants (and even some of the restaurants) in the area of the city PAX is held in fall into this category of being decent to good, but being way more expensive than they deserve to be since they know the people frequenting them aren't exactly in the bottom 50 percentile incomes.

• Options
    RussBRussB Registered User regular
    I bought a new pair of Sanuk sandal-shoes. Bought a pair for Disneyland (Walking!) and was so glad for the comfort, so a new pair for PAX was in order.

• Options
    kylechukylechu Registered User regular
    Go to at least one panel you're not sure about. More often than not, it'll be quality.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    DashD wrote: »

Ouch. Yeah, flip flops will kill you. You'll want to get shoes with good support. No Chucks!! If you want a shoe similar to Converse, get PF Flyers. They have arch support. Otherwise, stick to good walking shoes.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the guy who cosplays as Carl Brutananadilewski each and every year. Such commitment to discomfort.

Ladies, I highly recommend Merrells (they make shoes for mens also, but I'm not a mans so I don't know if they're as good). They've been my go-to shoe for 5 PAXen, and my feet rarely hurt.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    ChokecherryChokecherry Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I third the combat boots thing. My first PAX I wore converse and by the end of it my feet were more blisters than anything else. Good shoes are crucial.

Actually eating real meals is another important thing to do. It sounds silly but it's easy to get so caught up in seeing and doing everything that you forget that food is a thing you need to consume. From personal experience, I can say that it's better to miss a panel or line so you can get lunch than to not eat and then crash and burn later.

Prime Attendee: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14 ('15)
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Wear my running shoes.
    Not be irritated when my kid (now 9) wants to "take a break".
    Skip the AAA games.
    Try not to lament over the lines at Behemoth and just forget about it. Chances are I can buy whatever it is online.
    Bring more cash (as opposed to just my debit card).
    Play more MTG.
    Stop obsessing over Street Passes on my 3DS.
    Panels Are PAX, Too.
    Wash my hands more (last year I thought I was invincible...oh, how I was incorrect).
    Try to come up with questions to ask the indie devs about their games.
    Just accept that I won't see/do everything. Even though this will be my 6th year I still have a problem with that.
    Paint the mini (that was fun).
    Try not to be intimidated by card games run by the creators.
    Don't buy a game just because someone was nice and demo'd it with me. If I didn't like it, it's okay to say "no, thank you".
    Try out this Juicy place the kids all rave about these days.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    ShivinShivin OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm doing BYOC this year. I can't believe I've never done it before. You have a place set aside where you can dink around on your computer and get away from the crush.

Plan ahead for food. Just about everything around lunch and dinnertime are packed.

r3a9obz7nxdg.png
  • Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    This will be my fifth PAX (second in Seattle) and I'm going to do enforcing for the first time! I assume this will make my experience completely different (and better).

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    Spy112Spy112 VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    After reading everyone's recommendations I have been doing Pax wrong 10 years now.

-Eat crap food all weekend, chips and the such.
    -Drink to much
    -sleep too little (a unhealthy amount of caffeine can keep you going)
    -wear flip flops
    -only drink water at the end of the day
    -eat a cream cheese hotdog at 3am and get sick
    Pretty much survive on junk food and booze for 4 days

So if you do the opposite of me you should be great.

Spy112 on