As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2015 Food and Drink

• Options
    angelicstubbornessangelicstubborness Registered User regular
    Do any of the Japanese places make ramen?

• Options
    cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Probably your best bet nearby would be Kukai Ramen on Capitol Hill.

Others have it, but since it's not a focus its usually not as good.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    curse wrote: »
    Probably your best bet nearby would be Kukai Ramen on Capitol Hill.

Others have it, but since it's not a focus its usually not as good.

Kukai is super close (walking distance) to the con. It's pretty authentic - they use a very heavy dashi base for their stock so it's all a bit fishy (ha). I like it a lot but non fish-lovers may not. There are actually about a dozen ramen specialty shops around, some more authentic than others:

http://www.eatinseattle.com/2015/01/10-hottest-ramen-shops-to-try-in-2015.html?m=1

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    seventyx7xseventyx7x Registered User regular
    When I arrive on Thursday I make it a point to ride the monorail at Westlake to the armory/space needle and get a MOD pizza.

If anyone hasn't tried MOD, I highly recommend it. Large personal pizzas with a huge choice of toppings, and you're able to have a view of the space needle while eating (if you sit outside.)
    A great way to get in the mood for Seattle/PAX

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    seventyx7x wrote: »
    When I arrive on Thursday I make it a point to ride the monorail at Westlake to the armory/space needle and get a MOD pizza.

If anyone hasn't tried MOD, I highly recommend it. Large personal pizzas with a huge choice of toppings, and you're able to have a view of the space needle while eating (if you sit outside.)

MOD is awesome. It's basically the Subway of pizza (one price per size, get whatever on it you want!). There's also a location a few blocks from the convention center if you want a lunch fix during the festivities.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    BradrcrBradrcr Beer Jedi Seattle, WaRegistered User regular

MOD is awesome. It's basically the Subway of pizza (one price per size, get whatever on it you want!). There's also a location a few blocks from the convention center if you want a lunch fix during the festivities.

I was thinking about this spot as well, as I didn't even know it was there until this last PAX (Maybe it wasn't before) There is kind of a 'secret' route out the back of the convention center right to this Mod Pizza that makes it very convenient. If you head out to the smoking area behind the Pax schwag store, head away South from the convention center on the path to the right hand side; you'll run into a stairway on the right of this path that turns and runs back north to the lower levels of the convention center. Once you get to the bottom, there's a long elevated concrete walkway to your left (West) that runs all the way to 6th avenue. Go to 6th and turn left and it's at 1302 6th ave. Complicated to find for the first time, but definitely one of the fastest, most convenient places for decent food from the convention center main floor. (And one of the only fast places with beer :). Depending on one's hotel, this may just be a great way to get out of the convention center at night too.

Official Host of the Elysian PPPP (Pax Prime Prefunk Party) :D
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/elysian-pppp-pax-prime-prefunk-party-tickets-17987440920
  • Options
    angelicstubbornessangelicstubborness Registered User regular
    Yay! I live in Iowa so I've been dying to try actual ramen. Any suggestions for other different culture foods in the area?

• Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    I've never been able to find a decent (or even half decent) burger in the area. It seems like an odd gap.

• Options
    Yay! I live in Iowa so I've been dying to try actual ramen. Any suggestions for other different culture foods in the area?
    GeeCee wrote: »
    I've never been able to find a decent (or even half decent) burger in the area. It seems like an odd gap.

Because I'm up way too early with nothing to do, I'm gonna chime in again. :)

Downtown food is generally more pricey and fancy, and many of the city's best restaurants are in other neighborhoods. The best ethnic food tends to come from tiny hole-in-the-wall spots in the suburbs.

Ethiopian, Mexican, Salvadorean, Vietnamese, Thai, Cuban, Korean, Japanese can all be found pretty easily if you're feeling adventurous.

In terms of burgers, what defines a "good burger" is so entirely subjective that it's impossible to suggest anything. That awful burger you hated might be someone else's favorite burger ever. What do you look for in a burger? What do you think makes it good? Burger places are super trendy here right now, and I guarantee there's some place you'd like.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I hate mentioning it cause it's one of my favorite places but I think it already got a mention in the thread. Lil' woody's has a pretty good greasy burger.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I hate mentioning it cause it's one of my favorite places but I think it already got a mention in the thread. Lil' woody's has a pretty good greasy burger.

Just went there for the first time a few weeks ago for lunch, real good stuff!
    It's a solid bus ride from the convention center if anyone is looking to eat there during PAX (it's on Market St. in Ballard).

edit: DERP and then I remembered Ballard isn't their only location. And the Capitol Hill spot is just a few blocks up from the Paramount Theatre. Great, now I have to go eat a burger during PAX!

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Haha, yeah was going to say, it's just up the street! :D

• Options
    forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you're looking for something interesting and regional - especially if you're from the Midwest or East Coast, there's a terrific breakfast dish here called the Hangtown Fry. It originated in San Francisco in the 1800's but was quickly adopted by Seattle and is one of those dishes you can't really find anywhere else. Basically a bacon-oyster omelet. The closest location to the con that I could find serving it is Lowell's at the Pike Place Market. (Pro tip to keep you from sounding like a tourist when you go there: it's not "Pike's", it's Pike without the 's'.).

Gods, that looks good. I might have to hit that up on Thursday morning before the MMT.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Options
    Hungry for Gamer food? Want some classy drinks with your fellow nerds? Well check out this year's PAX menu that I've negotiated specially with Tom Douglas' newest restaurant, the Carlisle Room! A special menu of themed food and drinks will be available only if you show your PAX badge. This place is terrific, and the drinks aren't just another goddamn screwdriver renamed "mana potion". This place is top notch. Stop By during PAX!!

bez15ijgydge.jpg

(full disclosure: posted here and in the party thread)

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Hungry for Gamer food? Want some classy drinks with your fellow nerds? Well check out this year's PAX menu that I've negotiated specially with Tom Douglas' newest restaurant, the Carlisle Room! A special menu of themed food and drinks will be available only if you show your PAX badge. This place is terrific, and the drinks aren't just another goddamn screwdriver renamed "mana potion". This place is top notch. Stop By during PAX!!

bez15ijgydge.jpg

(full disclosure: posted here and in the party thread)

yay that's on my walk to my hotel!

• Options
    SuperSaiyanFifeSuperSaiyanFife OverWatch: SSJFifeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Getting a big bag of Dicks to put in my mouth is always a priority during PAX. There are a few of them around the city; so choose the closet Dicks you can find and enjoy!

However, I would suggest doing this Thursday or as you leave PAX. They are not very close to WCC for mid convention meals.

SuperSaiyanFife on
    Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable. – Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Getting a big bag of Dicks to put in my mouth is always a priority during PAX. There are a few of them around the city; so choose the closet Dicks you can find and enjoy!

However, I would suggest doing this Thursday or as you leave PAX. They are not very close to WCC for mid convention meals.

I hear Dick's is the place where the cool hang out.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I know I always like a big bag of Dick's.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    Has anyone ever gone to a Wil Wheaton signing with a bag of hamburgers and instructed him to eat a bag of Dick's?

• Options
    TamwulfTamwulf Registered User regular
    I always hit up biscuitbitch on 1st and Stewart. If you like biscuits and gravy, this place will not disappoint.

Witty Comments Require No Explanation,
    Sarcasm Allows None.
  • Options
    ioriyagamiioriyagami Registered User new member
    edited August 2015
    I want to delay lunch as much as possible and still be there at 10am... Any recommendation for places to have an abundant and tasty early (9am-ish) brunch/breakfast?

EDIT:
    Tamwulf wrote: »
    I always hit up biscuitbitch on 1st and Stewart. If you like biscuits and gravy, this place will not disappoint.
    Ok, this actually looks like exactly like what I was looking for, thanks! (even if you were not actually replying to me)

Any other recommendations?

ioriyagami on
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Has anyone ever gone to a Wil Wheaton signing with a bag of hamburgers and instructed him to eat a bag of Dick's?

You'd have to get a jar of Pickles too (see Tabletop for reference to the Dick and Pickle)

• Options
    ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Food trucks are another option at lunch time. Several normally park in Westlake Park, a few blocks from the convention center. The schedule and locations can be found at www.Seattlefoodtruck.com. Ezell's fried chicken, Tat's sandwiches, and BeezNeez sausages are a few of my favorites.

• Options
    8-Bit Happy Hour Menu is up! At least, the drinks portion is. It's amazing (Food will be posted later). One thing that makes me crazy is when non-gamer managed establishments do a quick google search for video games and rename one of their existing cocktails something tired, like "Mana Potion" to cater to the "neeeeeeerds!!" in town for "some nerd convention". I always feel like I'm a commodity when they do that and it comes off as really patronizing. One of the reasons why I wanted to work with the Carlile Room is because they don't do that shit. Nick, the manager over there, is hella cool and also a gamer: he has gone above and beyond with his drink menu, keeping it old school, on-theme and legit:

(amended for brevity)
    Blaster Master: Elemental Cider and Cherry Bounce
    Soda Popinski: Vodka, Cold Brew Coffee, Cream Soda
    Abobo: Rum, Pineapple Shrub, Lime
    The Lost Viking: Citron Aquavit, Seattle Selzter Co. Orange Soda
    Miyamoto: Akashi White Oak Japanese Whisky Old Fashioned

Last night I asked him about doing a Dirty Water Martini, and here was his response: "Ha yeah! I'm playing Fallout Shelter on my phone as I type. I really want a Dirty Water Martini, or at least a Nuka-Cola, but I stuck all 8-bit with the names." I still want to convince him to do a dirty martini though.

• Options
    seventyx7xseventyx7x Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a good fish and chips place?
    I ended up getting them at Pike Place Chowder in the Pacific Place Center and was not very happy with it. It was filled with grease inside the batter on the fish.

• Options
    cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a good fish and chips place?
    I ended up getting them at Pike Place Chowder in the Pacific Place Center and was not very happy with it. It was filled with grease inside the batter on the fish.

Maybe try Pike St Fish Fry?

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • Options
    BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    Didn't know where else to ask, but is there a grocery store or mart near the convention center where someone could pick up things like bread and pb and jelly? I'm a college student and figured making my own food would be the cheapest way to not starve during pax and to not spend a lot of money...on food, gonna spend a lot on merch

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Didn't know where else to ask, but is there a grocery store or mart near the convention center where someone could pick up things like bread and pb and jelly? I'm a college student and figured making my own food would be the cheapest way to not starve during pax and to not spend a lot of money...on food, gonna spend a lot on merch

I don't know if there are closer options, but IGA Supermarket served my purposes the last time I PAX Primed.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I don't know if there are closer options, but IGA Supermarket served my purposes the last time I PAX Primed.

Thanks! They don't really say prices, but it's a good place to swing by to find out. ^ ^

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Thanks! They don't really say prices, but it's a good place to swing by to find out. ^ ^

There is also a Target with a grocery section on the next block.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    8-Bit Happy Hour Menu is up! At least, the drinks portion is. It's amazing (Food will be posted later). <snip>

Last night I asked him about doing a Dirty Water Martini, and here was his response: "Ha yeah! I'm playing Fallout Shelter on my phone as I type. I really want a Dirty Water Martini, or at least a Nuka-Cola, but I stuck all 8-bit with the names." I still want to convince him to do a dirty martini though.

Even more secret-er menu item!

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    BradrcrBradrcr Beer Jedi Seattle, WaRegistered User regular
    Clever Dunnes (Irish Bar) and 500 East Social House (70 tap Alehouse) both will be offering beer discounts for Pax Badgeholders. They're about 4-5 blocks NE of the convention center. I don't believe Dunnes has food, but 500 East has a great menu.

Official Host of the Elysian PPPP (Pax Prime Prefunk Party) :D
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/elysian-pppp-pax-prime-prefunk-party-tickets-17987440920
  • Options
    mljonirmljonir Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What are some good late-night bars to recommend? Preferably places that serve food and drinks until at least 1am that are within walking distance from the con?

• Options
    DemonsMasterDemonsMaster Registered User regular
    Crab Pot is pretty damn pricey. But good god do you get a feast. Hitting it up for sure this weekend with the girlfriend.

Pax Prime (West) '13, '14, '15, '16.
    Pax South '16
    Pax Prime 2015 Omeganaut
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Bad news for Specialties lovers. Their close by location is closed for renovations! :( There is another location about 5 blocks away on 3rd and spring.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    FantanaFantana Registered User regular
    One nice little tip is to take advantage of the various food delivery services in the Seattle area ..postmates and munchery are good but my #1 favorite is Caviar. You can order food from a ton of near by restaurants .. In addition stack promo code EATLIKEMELISSA with the link in my signature and you get 30$ of food totally free... It's a pretty sweet deal.

• Options
    Also someone said they hadn't found a good burger... You should try 8 oz up in capital hill

• Options
    SkylabSkylab Registered User regular
    The ramen place is great but the lines during PAX is pretty crazy. Cap Hill has some great food options though. Try Baguette Box or if you go up further, try HoneyHole which is my personal favorite sandwich place in Seattle. For the best pizza try HotMamas. I live just a few blocks away from the convention in cap hill.

• Options
    SkylabSkylab Registered User regular
    A bit more of a walk but Southlake Union has some great food trucks as well.

• Options
    Nuflours on 12th is a really great option if you need gluten free or vegan.