Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Oh well heck, so the modern ones also handle some drop/impact? That's really neat, I'm used to thinking of them like the plastic things that just kept minor scratches off. Sort of.

Good to know, thanks!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Here's where interpretation gets me into situations. It won't necessarily protect against drop/impact; though I would expect a tempered glass protector to take the brunt of the damage of a drop where any portion of the protected area of the screen makes contact with a "foreign surface." How well the display/glass itself survives versus the protector depends a whole lot on that specific situation.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I don't think you should put your phone in the same pocket as your keys

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    This is all anecdotal, but I know multiple people who've dropped their phone on pavement or some other hard surface that shattered their tempered glass screen protector, but left the actual screen flawless. The fact that I've dropped my current phone dozens of times with a tempered glass protector, and the phone is basically still in mint condition after almost 3 years will keep me using the tempered glass protectors.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    You guys and your phones in your pockets.

Get a belt holder and never worry about your phone getting scratched in your pocket again! :)

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Get a belt holder and never worry about your phone getting scratched in your pocket again! :)

Excuse me, sir. I do not wear white sneakers with my jeans, and I have sold the last of my jean shorts.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Before the days of tempered glass protectors I was very anti-screen protectors, because the plastic ones always felt like crap.

But from the first time I saw a good tempered glass protector over a phone I was sold. I used to think that phones did hold up pretty well over time, even gorilla glass, but if you ever actually do get a chance to compare the same brand new phone to one that's actually been used every day for a year without a screen protector.... yea it's a pretty stark difference.

And my last job I worked for a construciton company, where i'm not kidding you I dealt with at least 50 phones a year where they were dropped/run over/something and had the screen shattered. In my last year there we started putting tempered glass protectors on the phones, and the number of shattered screens dropped by 75%. We had to replace a ton of the protectors, but only a couple instances were the screens underneath them damaged.

A good tempered glass protector will feel just as good as the actual phone glass, does protect from screen shattering, and in many cases does not alter how the phone feels to use. They're worth it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

Excuse me, sir. I do not wear white sneakers with my jeans, and I have sold the last of my jean shorts.

I'll have you know my sneakers are grey.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    giving in to belt holders is fully accepting that it is reasonable for women's pants to not have functional pockets

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I just upgraded to a v20 from a 6P (hurray for accidental damage insurance payouts!) and could not be happier. I didn't realize this until I held the v20 but the 6p just felt kind of...delicate? chincy? I'm not sure how to describe, the V20 feels much more solid, and man is the difference between a snapdragon 810 and 820 night and day. I miss stereo speakers so much though :(

I'm thinking about moving to project fi to get better service in some places - on t-mobiles cheapo plan now - and am looking at the 6P. Anything you particularly didn't like about it? I'll be upgrading from a 1+1 (which I love, but don't want to deal with putting a new OS on it now that cyanogen is dead) so even if it's not the fastest phone around it will probably feel like a big leap to me.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    @firewaterword Fair warning about Project Fi, it uses T-Mobile's and Sprint's network (I think they've added some regional carriers) so keep that in mind before switching. You may not see any coverage improvement.

That said, I haven't had any issues with Fi and you can make calls over wifi so that might help you out (most of my calls have been made cellular though, and I haven't been impressed with the call quality when on WiFi).

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    firewaterword Fair warning about Project Fi, it uses T-Mobile's and Sprint's network (I think they've added some regional carriers) so keep that in mind before switching. You may not see any coverage improvement.

That said, I haven't had any issues with Fi and you can make calls over wifi so that might help you out (most of my calls have been made cellular though, and I haven't been impressed with the call quality when on WiFi).

Good to know. I'd pretty much be paying as much for fi as I would for t-mobile (probably less, since I frequently go over my minute limit these days). The cheapo t-mobile prepay plan I'm on was good when I was using a lot of data but that's not so much the case these days. I'm also frequently in an area where's there's zero t-m coverage, and I know sprint works reasonably OK there.

• Options
    They recently added US Cellular as well.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    firewaterword Fair warning about Project Fi, it uses T-Mobile's and Sprint's network (I think they've added some regional carriers) so keep that in mind before switching. You may not see any coverage improvement.

Good to know. I'd pretty much be paying as much for fi as I would for t-mobile (probably less, since I frequently go over my minute limit these days). The cheapo t-mobile prepay plan I'm on was good when I was using a lot of data but that's not so much the case these days. I'm also frequently in an area where's there's zero t-m coverage, and I know sprint works reasonably OK there.

I'd say go for it then, it'll automatically switch between TMO and Sprint depending on signal quality and thus far I havent had an issue (granted I'm in the Bay Area and there are cell sites everywhere). And like @Mugsley said they've added US Cellular so the coverage should be even better. If you dont burn through data it can get pretty cheap, I'm currently on the $40/month plan but havent had a bill over $25. I think I average around $23 which is about as low as you can go due to taxes and fees.

• Options
    Relevant anecdote:

I was walking up the stairs last night and as soon as I got to the top stair, my phone slipped out of my hand and wagon-wheeled down the trim along the edge of the stairs; all the way to the bottom. Ultimately, the phone landed in front of the front door. Case and screen protector = 0 damage. They've officially paid for themselves.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Relevant anecdote:

I was walking up the stairs last night and as soon as I got to the top stair, my phone slipped out of my hand and wagon-wheeled down the trim along the edge of the stairs; all the way to the bottom. Ultimately, the phone landed in front of the front door. Case and screen protector = 0 damage. They've officially paid for themselves.

clearly you need to now repeat it but with the case and protector removed to see if it was the that combination. for science.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Damn Verizon. I ordered my Pixel XL 128gb back in November with a shipping date of January 6. Two months wait was hard, but I powered through. January 6th passed with no word, and now I get an email saying it won't be shipped (maybe) until March.

Grrrrrr.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Damn Verizon. I ordered my Pixel XL 128gb back in November with a shipping date of January 6. Two months wait was hard, but I powered through. January 6th passed with no word, and now I get an email saying it won't be shipped (maybe) until March.

Grrrrrr.
    I found ordering one from the Google Store to be very painless. I also went with Project Fi though, so I'm not sure if you can hook it up to your Verizon account or not

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Grrrrrr.

You might want to touch base with them. My wife ordered during the black Friday sale and was quoted a ship date in January, but got hers about three weeks ago.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Darlan wrote: »

Grrrrrr.
    I found ordering one from the Google Store to be very painless. I also went with Project Fi though, so I'm not sure if you can hook it up to your Verizon account or not

You can connect it to Verizon. Project Fi phones are unlocked.

• Options
    you don't have to buy the pixel as a Project Fi Phone from google. You can just buy it unlocked.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I just upgraded to a v20 from a 6P (hurray for accidental damage insurance payouts!) and could not be happier. I didn't realize this until I held the v20 but the 6p just felt kind of...delicate? chincy? I'm not sure how to describe, the V20 feels much more solid, and man is the difference between a snapdragon 810 and 820 night and day. I miss stereo speakers so much though :(

I'm thinking about moving to project fi to get better service in some places - on t-mobiles cheapo plan now - and am looking at the 6P. Anything you particularly didn't like about it? I'll be upgrading from a 1+1 (which I love, but don't want to deal with putting a new OS on it now that cyanogen is dead) so even if it's not the fastest phone around it will probably feel like a big leap to me.

Bit late on the response to this but, my only real issue with the 6P was the bending issues, i actually had two bend on me by the power button, the first one kinked enough the power button stuck and they fixed it under warranty, I have 3 friends and two coworkers w/ 6P's, out of those 5 devices 4 of them show light bending/kinking around the power and volume buttons. I just don't trust the build quality. Apart from that fantastic phone. But i always felt like I had a phone made of paper mache, and even though I never put it in tight pockets and treated it like it was made of afor mentioned paper mache it bent anyway.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options

Bit late on the response to this but, my only real issue with the 6P was the bending issues, i actually had two bend on me by the power button, the first one kinked enough the power button stuck and they fixed it under warranty, I have 3 friends and two coworkers w/ 6P's, out of those 5 devices 4 of them show light bending/kinking around the power and volume buttons. I just don't trust the build quality. Apart from that fantastic phone. But i always felt like I had a phone made of paper mache, and even though I never put it in tight pockets and treated it like it was made of afor mentioned paper mache it bent anyway.

I always knew I was special.

• Options
    Ooh, just found out my contract ends the 19th. Think I might upgrade from my S6 Edge to a Pixel XL.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Grrrrrr.

You might want to touch base with them. My wife ordered during the black Friday sale and was quoted a ship date in January, but got hers about three weeks ago.
    I ordered on Thanksgiving and had a 1/6/17 ship date. That day passed and I received an email saying that my new ship date was 3/10/17.

My phone is currently out for delivery...the UPS truck is running way later than normal.

Edit: Got my phone. I wish I didn't have to download my apps again just because my home internet speed is crap. And it didn't automatically queue everything I had installed.

The data transferred for most things, but there are some oddities like my alarms that didn't make it.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I always knew I was special.

Me too! I've never felt the build quality on the 6p was cheap at all. But that could just be a preference thing.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Ooh, just found out my contract ends the 19th. Think I might upgrade from my S6 Edge to a Pixel XL.

Annnnnd the Pixel XL is "several weeks" out according to my rep.

Lovely.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Grrrrrr.

I ordered on Thanksgiving and had a 1/6/17 ship date. That day passed and I received an email saying that my new ship date was 3/10/17.

My phone is currently out for delivery...the UPS truck is running way later than normal.

Edit: Got my phone. I wish I didn't have to download my apps again just because my home internet speed is crap. And it didn't automatically queue everything I had installed.

The data transferred for most things, but there are some oddities like my alarms that didn't make it.

No dice here, and I ordered my phone before Thanksgiving. Called up Verizon and they basically said tough cookies, you have to wait for it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options

Good to know, thanks. Got one coming in the next day or two - I'll be sure to be gentle with it.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm trying to figure out some stuff with Google cardboard and any of the videos or high quality stuff are giving me double vision. But things like calibration apps and Crossy VR seem to work fine. Anyone have any idea what I can tinker with? I'm using a stock Nexus 6p

Edit: well never you mind me. It seems there was a plastic film on the lenses that I thought was actually holding then in place as opposed to just protection while shipping. Working great now.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Any Nexus 6P owners here? I am looking into getting an unlocked Android phone but I am not willing to pay so much dough for a Pixel that is not water resistant, has mono stereo, etc.

I can score a 64 GB Nexus 6P for $200. I have googled and got quite a bit of info but I was wondering what the general consensus around here is. The thing that concerns me the most is the battery life? What do you think.

I am going to be switching from iOS.

Thanks.

Edit: Just saw the 6P messages by @taliosfalcon and @firewaterword 2 posts above mine, so I guess I'll search the rest of the thread as well. Thanks anyways!

Edit 2: To avoid further questions as someone asked through PM where I got the $200 deal. My sister works as a FA and they have a discount agreement with a retail chain in UAE.

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I love love love my nexus 6P. I haven't had any issues with battery myself, but I am on wifi a good bit of the day.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I like mine as well. The only battery issue I have is that battery saver does exactly the opposite of what it should do. It could go from 15 to zero in an instant. Not all of them are having this issue though.

• Options
    I have a 6P and really like it. I had no interest in replacing it this year.

The *only* pause I'd give is that with it being over a year old now, it likely has less than a year of software updates left. It'll get Android 8, or whever they release this coming November, but that'll be the last major version it likely sees unless Google changes their policies.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've been hesitant to update my 6P to 7.x because of all the reports I hear about people having their phone turn off - with battery at like 60% - after they've upgraded to 7.x. I don't know how widespread it is, and whether or not it would affect me, but two times in the last few months I've had my phone shut down at ~20% battery, which has me slightly alarmed.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Still have a Note 7? Now Verizon is going to send any calls you make that are not emergency calls straight to their customer service line. I love the passive aggressiveness here.

"Replace your goddamn phone!"

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    that is the best thing.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I mean, at this point: Replace your goddamned phone. Trade it in for a Pixel XL or something.

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I love love love my nexus 6P. I haven't had any issues with battery myself, but I am on wifi a good bit of the day.

Thanks.
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I like mine as well. The only battery issue I have is that battery saver does exactly the opposite of what it should do. It could go from 15 to zero in an instant. Not all of them are having this issue though.

As far as I know this is typical for a lot of phones after a year or so of heavy usage. My iPhone 5s has been doing the same after its first year of use. I guess manufacturers still haven't found a fix for it.
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I have a 6P and really like it. I had no interest in replacing it this year.

The *only* pause I'd give is that with it being over a year old now, it likely has less than a year of software updates left. It'll get Android 8, or whever they release this coming November, but that'll be the last major version it likely sees unless Google changes their policies.
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I've been hesitant to update my 6P to 7.x because of all the reports I hear about people having their phone turn off - with battery at like 60% - after they've upgraded to 7.x. I don't know how widespread it is, and whether or not it would affect me, but two times in the last few months I've had my phone shut down at ~20% battery, which has me slightly alarmed.

I don't really mind that. My iPhone 5s is still on iOS 8 as I choose to not to upgrade due to fear of a sluggish feel, slowness in launching and closing apps, etc. I think I'll give 6p a shot!

Thank you all.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    I mean, at this point: Replace your goddamned phone. Trade it in for a Pixel XL or something.

On the one hand, if my phone was known for exploding and I could turn it in for a new device with no cost to me then that phone would be gone. But on the other, it's not like you can find many (any?) other 5.7" phones.

This discussion has been closed.