As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Text messages are going to look so crisp...

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    100% pointless. It is going to produce so much more energy usage for literally no benefit.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I don't see how they keep the awesome battery life of the Z3 with those specs... and that was the Z3's best feature.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    4K is totally pointless in a phone, but the 1080p 5.2" and 720p 4.7" could be compelling options to the new Nexus phones so long as they're for sale in the US at reasonable prices.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I was running a Z3 for a while, and while great, it had some bugs that were pretty annoying.

Currently using a Lumia 640, which is cheap on T-Mobile, until I see what the new Nexus 5 looks like and what Blackberry are doing with Android on their upcoming Venice slider (and if the Passport gets an Android version). Wouldn't go back to a Sony phone though, as the price premium they put on their devices just isn't worth it in the end.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I have the Xperia Z1 as a backup phone since I sold my Acend Mate 7 when I got a new one from amazon as replacement for my old one, which had some screen problems

It has some very annoying things. For example, you just straight up can NOT use some headsets, because the phone decides that they're "incompatible" and refuses to do anything at all with them, least of all output sound, when that works in every other device I have

VERY annoying.

And the Huawei Ascend Mate S looks great... If only it had USB C and a bigger battery :/

It only comes with a 2700 mAh battery instead of the fuckoff huge 4000 mAh the Ascend mate 7 had

I guess the screen will use much less battery since it is now amoled, but still..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Oh, and the Mate S will release with force touch before the iPhone 6s, it seems..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    The new camera tech on the Z5 line sounds really impressive. The 4K is overkill, and worse still looks like the premium won't be out until November at the earliest so we won't know how much it sucks/is amazing until long after the other Z5 handsets, Samsung handsets and iPhones are released.

• Options
    I'm always interested in the Sony phones, but then the other phones end up just being better overall packages.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I'm always interested in the Sony phones, but then the other phones end up just being better overall packages.

For me its that the other phones are usually out sooner, better priced and seem to have better support for accessories. Sony every year they do a major phone release line but seem to fall at one annoying but major detail, once they fix that they fall at another. In the past it was running outdated android software long after new versions were out, then having hugely impressive camera tech with the most awful file compression to make the pictures look like ass. Or having some of the most impressive specs going for its Z line only to have a screen that was for some odd reason front illuminated with atrocious viewing angles.

• Options
    Yeah... the Z1's screen is abysmal, comparing it to pretty much any new non-cheapo android phone

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    sooooo, anyone want to buy me a new Moto 360?

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

I wonder how cheap gen 1 360s will be in the next few weeks.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options

I own one. You won't want it compared to the new one, at almost any price. The old 360 is ok, but this one is significantly better than it in every way.

• Options
    The sport version looks interesting...

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    The sport version looks interesting...

I'd like it a lot better if it was just a band you could put over the normal one's casing.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

I own one. You won't want it compared to the new one, at almost any price. The old 360 is ok, but this one is significantly better than it in every way.

I'll take yours of your hands for real cheap if you don't want it any more. :)

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    So I see a page on CNET saying there is a Nexus event on September 29 to announce new phones. I'm pumped.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    So I see a page on CNET saying there is a Nexus event on September 29 to announce new phones. I'm pumped.

That's just a rumour for now. Decent chance that it is true, but don't treat it as set in stone until you see the announcement from google about the event.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I understand people have differing opinions on the new Google logo but this new Google search bar is a goddamn abortion.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I understand people have differing opinions on the new Google logo but this new Google search bar is a goddamn abortion.

I don't have it. yet. I'm not looking forward to it. Not sure what Google was thinking there. The actual logo looks fine, but not on the search bar on my phone.

• Options
    Well I use Nova Launcher so don't have it either, I just saw pictures of it this morning on Android Central or some site and I was flabbergasted.

I personally am not a fan of the new logo anyway... to me it looks backwards, like if I had never heard of Google before in my life and you showed me the new logo and the old logo I would have guessed the new one was the silly, 90's-trendy logo they had when they were a startup and when they matured as a company they switched to the classy serif-font version. But I don't really care about the logo if you don't try to literally put it right in my face every time I look at my phone.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

How so? I'm very, very intrigued by the Moto 360 (both the old version and the new), but I feel like I don't really know much about it (despite reading numerous reviews). The impression that's kinda formed in my head is that the Moto 360 is mainly for checking your texts/messages, controlling your music, and scrolling through a long list of Google Now items that you probably don't care about. Is this impression wrong/dumb/misinformed? What about the new 360 makes it better at being a smartwatch?

Basically, I really want a reason to buy a 360, but it seems like for me, it would be just a toy, and that's a pretty high price for a toy.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Delduwath wrote: »

How so? I'm very, very intrigued by the Moto 360 (both the old version and the new), but I feel like I don't really know much about it (despite reading numerous reviews). The impression that's kinda formed in my head is that the Moto 360 is mainly for checking your texts/messages, controlling your music, and scrolling through a long list of Google Now items that you probably don't care about. Is this impression wrong/dumb/misinformed? What about the new 360 makes it better at being a smartwatch?

Basically, I really want a reason to buy a 360, but it seems like for me, it would be just a toy, and that's a pretty high price for a toy.

Everything you say about smartwatches is correct. But that's not the issue I have with the 1st gen 360.

The 1st gen Moto 360 uses a SoC that is from 2010. It is power hungry and inefficent, and Android Wear *can* stutter on it. Battery life is worse on the 1st gen 360 because of the chipset it runs on. I had a LG G Watch that could get through a day and a half easily, and with my 360 it comes off the charger at 6am during the week and is pretty much dead by 10pm. Battery life can really vary on watches depending on the day, so sometimes it is dying by 8pm, sometimes I'd get to 2-3am with it. And, the only way it can accomplish this is by not using the ambient screen feature of Android Wear that always displays a clock on the screen. my watch spends 90% of the time with the screen completely off.

I'm not a guy who believes it needs to have week long battery life, but It should be able to get me through a day without having to think about it, which it currently can't, and ideally I'd like 2 days of battery life, so I can forget to charge my watch one night and not be screwed in the morning.

EDIT: the 2nd gen 360 does fix all of those problems, as well has having better customization options, including bands that you can change without tools. That's actually kind of a big deal.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    After using windows phone for my last two devices, I just finished preordering a new Moto X Pure Edition. So pumped for it, and also glad to be rid of this hot mess of an OS disaster.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    LG Nexus 5X announced. Releasing 9/29/15 for $400.

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-nexus-5x-release-price-leak-639306/

I'm surprised you guys didn't find this yesterday.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Eh, I found it but it's not official.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Yea, it's not an official announcement. it's Android Authority telling everyone what their sources are saying and calling it exclusive.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    So... apparently the Huawei Mate S is NOT the replacement for the Mate 8, but just a Mate 7S?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Everything you say about smartwatches is correct. But that's not the issue I have with the 1st gen 360.

The 1st gen Moto 360 uses a SoC that is from 2010. It is power hungry and inefficent, and Android Wear *can* stutter on it. Battery life is worse on the 1st gen 360 because of the chipset it runs on. I had a LG G Watch that could get through a day and a half easily, and with my 360 it comes off the charger at 6am during the week and is pretty much dead by 10pm. Battery life can really vary on watches depending on the day, so sometimes it is dying by 8pm, sometimes I'd get to 2-3am with it. And, the only way it can accomplish this is by not using the ambient screen feature of Android Wear that always displays a clock on the screen. my watch spends 90% of the time with the screen completely off.

I'm not a guy who believes it needs to have week long battery life, but It should be able to get me through a day without having to think about it, which it currently can't, and ideally I'd like 2 days of battery life, so I can forget to charge my watch one night and not be screwed in the morning.

EDIT: the 2nd gen 360 does fix all of those problems, as well has having better customization options, including bands that you can change without tools. That's actually kind of a big deal.
    I see! Thanks for the details. Man, that kinda sucks. I feel like having to charge your watch nightly is kind of a pain, and not being able to use the ambient clock screen is a pretty significant strike against the watch as well.

• Options
    I got my replacement Shield tablet from the recall yesterday. Unfortunately the replacement tablet has a blown right speaker. It only buzzes, no audio comes out of it, so looks like i need to get a hold of nvidia and get this one replaced.....

Hilariously I can't even go back to the old one, because apparently nvidia intentionally bricks them once the new tablet turns on and pings nvidia that it is activated.

• Options
    I got my replacement Shield tablet from the recall yesterday. Unfortunately the replacement tablet has a blown right speaker. It only buzzes, no audio comes out of it, so looks like i need to get a hold of nvidia and get this one replaced.....

Hilariously I can't even go back to the old one, because apparently nvidia intentionally bricks them once the new tablet turns on and pings nvidia that it is activated.

Hope you get a speedy replacement and hopefully a little something extra for having the extra aggro.

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    I have a 360 1st gen and I don't know if I'm upgrading. I turned off the ambient screen so the time appears when I check it and the display is off the rest of the time and I get a whole day and night's use out of it. It also charges really fast if I'm going to be out all night.

I had the G watch before so I can say that the battery on the 360 is worse than the G watch, but I was still charging that one every night to be safe anyway so I think it's a fair tradeoff to make.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Battery life concerns with my N5 are starting to slowly get worse. And I'm starting to crave the rumored N5X.

In other news, I helped out on this Kickstarter: http://www.znaps.net and I'm anxiously waiting for my parts!

Mugsley on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Battery life concerns with my N5 are starting to slowly get worse. And I'm starting to crave the rumored N5X.

In other news, I helped out on this Kickstarter: http://www.znaps.net and I'm anxiously waiting for my parts!

Hmmm, I've started noticing a significant decrease in battery life on my N5. Other than that the phone still kicks butt though. Damn you none-changeable batteries, never again!

• Options
    Campy wrote: »

Hmmm, I've started noticing a significant decrease in battery life on my N5. Other than that the phone still kicks butt though. Damn you none-changeable batteries, never again!

I've replaced my battery this year (it is actually fairly easy to do, just requires spudger or guitar pick and a small screwdriver) and my battery life is still kinda shit. I think it's just the lollipop effect on an older handset.

I literally have money set aside for the 5X. the N5 is the first phone I've owned for 2 years since like, 2008, and I can really feel it.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    "What's this song?" on my 2014 Moto X doesn't work at all now for some reason. It always listens for like a half second and then says it can't find a close match.

I used to be able to tap the mic button the Google search bar and then tap the music note to search and that would work, but the most recent, candy colored Fisher Price Google update has removed the music note functionality. So to identify a song I am stuck using ad-filled third-party apps like Shazam.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

that actually looks pretty slick

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I just got the rainbow search bar update.... Do not like. Can I change it?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    emp123 wrote: »
    I just got the rainbow search bar update.... Do not like. Can I change it?

nope, you need an entire different launcher. I honestly think that the next update will include the option though. It's proving to be wildly unpopular.

wunderbar on
This discussion has been closed.