As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USS Sable [Chat]

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
17HsDfcl.jpg

The above is the USS Sable. Arguably one of the most important US carriers during the war. She's a bit on the small side, displacing 6,500 tons compared to the 19,500 tons of the Big E. Her and her sister carrier the USS Wolverine spent the war patrolling back and forth in most dangerous waters.
VqlmUGB.jpg
Keeping us safe from the evil forces of Canada
Providing floating training platforms for carrier landings.

There were serious issues with the Luftwaffe training. And the IJN suffered from similar issues. Keeping aces out in the front line as well as having limited resources for training flights prevented a lot of knowledge from being passed on. One of the big issues the IJN faced is that carrier landings are hard. So you want to practice them. But practicing them requires an aircraft carrier to practice on. But if you're the IJN you need all of the carriers you have for fighting the various navies in the Pacific.

The US Navy had a similar issue. But it realized there were ships that couldn't be sent in to either ocean. So two steamships were converted into small aircraft carriers. Small enough for a pilot to land on and take off from. The allowed the Navy to have much less on the job training, which starts to lead to casualty rates for individual engagements dropping. Over 35,000 pilots were trained with the Sable and the Wolverine. 116,000 landings between them. Pilots were required to practice with their cockpits open. Not particularly pleasant on the Great Lakes during the winter. 200 or so accidents occurred with 8 pilots lost.

During training flights, each pilot would make 20 or so practice passes until the LSO finally signaled for them to land. Once the plane was down, sailors would swarm over to it and begin pushing it aft. Then the pilot would have enough runway to take off.
wsOsb7a.jpg

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I think I am gonna buy a TV with my money from M:TG.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think I am gonna buy a TV with my money from M:TG.

And then buy some MTG with your money from TV.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    MtG: never again

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It is very frustrating that the twitter handle for my new name has been registered since 2009 but has never tweeted and is following exactly one fellow.

Unless I go trademark my name Twitter's response is basically "too bad, add some numbers so you look super unprofessional"

this is not very useful, twitter!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    alright

boardoagams on Tuesday

I will push through this slog of PhD writing with that distant goal in mind

• Options
    Pony wrote: »

Yeah this last attempt to get back into it is my last. I figured out why I keep quitting, and that is that I do not like the game fundamentally. The community has improved but is still full of smug shitwizards. PC Gaming is far cheaper.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

mtg = marijuana the gonorrhea

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    heh, it started off as a paddle wheel steamer

did it still have a paddle wheel when it was a carrier? that'd be hilarious

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Looking at TV prices, it is deffo going to be a TV, which I can get in 2 days with Amazon Prime.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Heh, The Thing gets a Fantasticar for his travel power.

• Options
    It is very frustrating that the twitter handle for my new name has been registered since 2009 but has never tweeted and is following exactly one fellow.

Unless I go trademark my name Twitter's response is basically "too bad, add some numbers so you look super unprofessional"

He got there first dude.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Ronya looks all internal atm. It isn't even showing up on our website yet.

I have to make connections first.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i thought that was going to be a thing about how ps4's usf4 port is anus

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    hey chat i am totally not drunk

nope

not at all

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck ALWAYS SHOOTS THE FOOD

OMG SKIPPY IM SO HUNGERY

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    hhWRS7q.jpg

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I now have a Google Scholar search for "Rohypnol crayfish"

Also I broke up two crayfish mating by feeding them. The male's mouth parts moved and then the female started moving and eventually shoved him off and they fought over the food, it was great

• Options
    it took tremendous willpower on my part when everyone in my apartment was getting into Hearthstone to stay out

I can't CCG responsibly

i knew it was a road that would've led to booster packs and tears

• Options
    "Hey you know that $300 Standard deck you built three weeks ago that was great? Yeah it is crap now, buy more cards or get shit on" and this repeats every month.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    "Hey you know that $300 Standard deck you built three weeks ago that was great? Yeah it is crap now, buy more cards or get shit on" and this repeats every month.

i=i'm serious when i say warhammer is cheaper

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Had a gyro falafel and garlic feta fries for lunch.

So much garlic.

I died, that's how much garlic happiness there was.

Gim on
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

Also I broke up two crayfish mating by feeding them. The male's mouth parts moved and then the female started moving and eventually shoved him off and they fought over the food, it was great

did you do the Traditional Maniacal Laugh of Science?

• Options
    it took tremendous willpower on my part when everyone in my apartment was getting into Hearthstone to stay out

I can't CCG responsibly

i knew it was a road that would've led to booster packs and tears

I have a rule about those types of free to play games: If I want to buy something in it, I wait a day and if I still want it I will grab a prepaid card to stop myself from impulse buying.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

He got there first dude.

and did nothing with it

it's dumb and the fact that there's not even a process for review is pretty archaic

it'd be different if it was just some dope tweeting random stuff, but literally just made an account and gtfo'd

the whole idea of twitter would seem to be against that but what are you going to do

frustrating

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    This is why I only buy into manageable addictions

like freebasing cocaine

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

its hilariously one of the games where the rule that if nobody who is playing in a group of friends has the faintest fucking clue what theyre doing it owns but if anybody starts buying cards or looking up shit online it instantly becomes awful for everybody concerned and riup in perpoeprperpeorni

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

you should be making them bone

worst scientist

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

did you do the Traditional Maniacal Laugh of Science?

Yes, followed by the traditional I'm-giggling-too-hard-to-breathe of Shiv.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

He got there first dude.

and did nothing with it

it's dumb and the fact that there's not even a process for review is pretty archaic

it'd be different if it was just some dope tweeting random stuff, but literally just made an account and gtfo'd

the whole idea of twitter would seem to be against that but what are you going to do

frustrating

see also: my steam handle

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »

you should be making them bone

worst scientist

Why do that when I can see things with exoskeletons try to suplex each other?

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i retract my statement

best scientist

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @Ronya looks all internal atm. It isn't even showing up on our website yet.

I have to make connections first.

go East, young man

(and then hire meeeee)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Looking at TV prices, it is deffo going to be a TV, which I can get in 2 days with Amazon Prime.

Is this available for you

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=8729023011

• Options

Is this available for you

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=8729023011

Yes!

• Options
    Oh wow I am spoiled for options for 32" TVs for $325

• Options
    hmm rabbit hears something outside he doesn't like

but he is also eating dinner, so he just keeps chewing and staring at the wall with his ears about three feet high

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The best part was they had clearly killed and eaten their tankmate like an hour before

so they were boning next to cannibalized remains

how romantic

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Oh wow I am spoiled for options for 32" TVs for $325

32?

42 or bust GET DUNKED

This discussion has been closed.