As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Horns.aiff - the YouTube Thread

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Yeah, put me in the camp of 'slowly coming around to Stirling'. After the Grundlegab fiasco, I guess I took a look at his attire and just wrote him off as yet another one of those guys about 'Ethics in Journalism'. Didn't help that he came from the Escapist, a site that I didn't really care for.

But he's actually not bad. Shame on me for judging a book by its cover.

That just about sums up his shtick. "Alpha male" persona but with a left of center viewpoint.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    beaten by hours man

The full Youtube video is better anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdUcijlzJkw

Nah, none of the rest of the video is necessary for the punchline to have full effect.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »

ban segways

The worst part is that the thing that messes him up is a track for a steadycam.

I love that Usain just rolls over backwards and gets up.

"Meh."

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    beaten by hours man

The full Youtube video is better anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdUcijlzJkw

Nah, none of the rest of the video is necessary for the punchline to have full effect.

More John Cena theme equals better video

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah, put me in the camp of 'slowly coming around to Stirling'. After the Grundlegab fiasco, I guess I took a look at his attire and just wrote him off as yet another one of those guys about 'Ethics in Journalism'. Didn't help that he came from the Escapist, a site that I didn't really care for.

That just about sums up his shtick. "Alpha male" persona but with a left of center viewpoint.

the "alpha male schtick" flares way way too many of my crazed anger genes to ever watch that shit. I really don't care how good the message is, I just can't do it

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

the "alpha male schtick" flares way way too many of my crazed anger genes to ever watch that shit. I really don't care how good the message is, I just can't do it

I take it as him making fun of that schtick, and himself. Like, watching his live presentation, he's certainly not humble, but I don't think we are seeing the real Jim Sterling.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

I take it as him making fun of that schtick, and himself. Like, watching his live presentation, he's certainly not humble, but I don't think we are seeing the real Jim Sterling.

Well, obviously. What are there for big YouTube personalities who aren't putting on a bit of an act?

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

Man this is great music. This is exactly the kind of music I'd like to make.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Before clicking, I knew exactly which one that was.. I absolutely love that medley. I hope someone is able to recreate it in Super Mario Maker (even if it takes multiple levels).

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, that brings some nostalgia.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

He spells out "Garmez Jurnalizm" in his introduction.

He's like a YouTube video game videos version of Steven Colbert after he started winking at the camera more.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    So this one was just linked today in a Cracked article and oh my god it's the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On4v2zQ7K5k

and also there's this one which is also the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0jYqBHlN-k

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Thing is, he was way more sincere in his earliest videos.

And people hated them. They thought he was just this obnoxious jerk shitting on everything.

So, when he thought he was inevitably going to get canned and had nothing left to lose, he went "Fuck it, they think I'm a villain, I'll GIVE THEM a villain" and cranked up the shit to 11, which is where he started up with the "HOW BLESSED YOU ARE TO BE ABLE TO WATCH ME. HOW I WISH I COULD BE YOU AND ALSO WATCH ME, BUT ALAS I CANNOT" thing.

And then his fanbase exploded, so he just kept running with it.

Also, it's worth noting that his on-camera persona is pretty different from his off-camera rants.

For one, his rants are actually scripted, while his on-screen stuff is improvised.

Honestly, if you really find his shtick that insufferable, you could always just skip ahead to when he starts the actual video and just listen to what he's actually trying to say, and then just turn it off when he goes back to being on camera.

He makes some extremely good and salient arguments about how the industry needs to change, and I can only hope that he makes an impact on it in some positive way.

Goatmon on

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

He spells out "Garmez Jurnalizm" in his introduction.

He's like a YouTube video game videos version of Steven Colbert after he started winking at the camera more.

I don't think it's much like Colbert's schtick, Stirling is adopting a persona in his mannerisms and costume but still saying what he actually thinks. Colbert's thing was pretending to be an actual extreme right wing pundit with all the associated political opinions, and then taking those already extreme points of view even further into obvious absurdity while keeping a straight face.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I don't like Jim Sterling because when he was on the Co-Optional podcast he spent a lot of the time talking about himself. His videos are good though.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    apparently that ball hit a catwalk above the field, which, because baseball is weird and tampa bay has the worst stadium in baseball, is considered in play, meaning that if a ball hits it and bounces down and someone catches it, even it's an out. One time, a ball landed on the catwalk, rolled around, and dropped down into someone's glove. The entire process took long enough for the hitter to round third base. They ruled him out, because someone caught the ball.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    even that manta ray in the tank is confused

• Options
    apparently that ball hit a catwalk above the field, which, because baseball is weird and tampa bay has the worst stadium in baseball, is considered in play, meaning that if a ball hits it and bounces down and someone catches it, even it's an out. One time, a ball landed on the catwalk, rolled around, and dropped down into someone's glove. The entire process took long enough for the hitter to round third base. They ruled him out, because someone caught the ball.

What is this Happy Gilmore shit?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

What is this Happy Gilmore shit?

like I said: baseball is weird as shit, and tropicana field is a garbage fire

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Goatmon on

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I liked their first version better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBCmt_pJTRA

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    bombardier wrote: »

You know nothing of when they scream on the radio "ANYONE IN SECTOR d-3-a get the fuck out now!" as you are running for it so see and hear a AC 130 fly overhead do a turn and do that funny slide in the air as it opens up. Leveling that block you were just in.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
  • Options

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options

d'awwwwwww 8->

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    I still prefer Uncle Eph's ASMR videos. He's got a wicked sense of humor.

Though the other thing that gets me to relax really well is Nujabes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQY9zrjPBjo

RIP

Thanks for the reminder to load up Nuj's music in preparation for autumn

This discussion has been closed.